Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder on fencline hmmm

Posted By: sunsetroosters

Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 08:33 PM

Well I dont Want to talk about the legalities of it but I have A neighbor with that bought a couple acres and put a feeder right on my fence line. What can I put on my side to help detour them from there? Soap, hair? My set up is about 250 yards to the north. Any suggestions would sure be helpful.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 08:42 PM

They can put a feeder anywhere they please on their property. My suggestion would be to be a good neighbor and talk to them about it if you have an issue.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 08:47 PM

I know They can put a feeder anywhere they want. That’s why I said What I said About the legalities. That is a whole nother discussion in itself lol. And in some instances may not be legal.
Posted By: don k

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 08:50 PM

I know what I would do but some on here don't think it is PC.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 08:54 PM

Are they shooting towards your blind? Or towards the fence?

Put ribbons and foil on the fence, will work for awhile, until the deer get used to it. But may be enough to make them move it.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 09:09 PM

uh ohh. Seen this before and person would drive his vehicle right down his fence line and drop moth balls along the way, park right by the fence with blind/feeder on neighboring property and then proceed to walk on up dropping more moth balls on his own property along the way for a ways and then walk over to his own hunting set up. He also added multiple wind chimes on his own property in that area and often freshened the moth balls.

you said you did not want to talk about legalties (and probably hunting etiquette) but I'd first try to be neighborly and approach them to discuss and suggest the move.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 09:18 PM

If his bullet travels across your fence line that is trespassing. Hard to prove though... I would talk with him to get him to at least put the blind on the fence line and the feeder on the interior of his property. If he's not willing to work with you, I would let him know he doesn't have permission to retrieve any animals that cross into your property. Put up cameras, call GW if you catch him on your property.

My guess is if you talk to him you can resolve the issue fairly easily.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 09:23 PM

Does he plan on hunting on his property?
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 09:48 PM

Put gut pile right there on your side of the fence/ whenever you kill pigs stack them along the fence line. Other things you can do is put a lot of livestock on that fenceline or make sure there is no brush on your side of the fence either so deer would have to cross a "pasture" to get over there. Two drastic measures I can think of would be to put hog panels along the fence line there making an inclosure and put a couple loud dogs in there. If you have the money High fence that side of your property. Or if you are super villain rich, acquire gallons of mountain lion urine and get a crop duster to "do his thing"......
Posted By: Stub

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 09:48 PM

Feeder on the fence line thread boxing laugh
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 09:54 PM

Is it a high fence or a low fence?

Seriously, find a way to talk to them.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 09:58 PM

Every chance you get, drop a duece right next to the fence. Works better and lasts longer than urine. Hair from the barber shop works pretty good too.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 10:00 PM

Low fence.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 10:02 PM

What county?
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
They can put a feeder anywhere they please on their property. My suggestion would be to be a good neighbor and talk to them about it if you have an issue.

This is what I would do first. If it does no good or if there is no remorse, everytime you shoot a pig, open her up and toss her by the feeder or better yet by the blind over the feeder. I will guess though you can work it out with communication.

4W
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 10:31 PM

Hell, I'd set up a stand where I could hunt it too. Of course, making sure if I did shoot, it would not cross his fence line.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Hell, I'd set up a stand where I could hunt it too. Of course, making sure if I did shoot, it would not cross his fence line.

Winner!
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 10:36 PM

Is his blind facing his feeder as well as facing your property?

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 10:38 PM

I would tell him to put his blind on the fence and his feeder on the interior of his property.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: unclebubba

Winner!

Good point. Just hope the neighbor is courteous enough to keep it filled for you.

Put stands 50-75 yards either side of the feeder where you can shoot parallel to your fence then hunt whichever side puts the wind in your face.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 10:40 PM

And how many is a couple of acres...a couple as in two? If that’s the case he better be shooting at a pretty dang good angle downward
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 11:00 PM

Is there a blind or a house on his side? With a couple of acres I'm wondering if he put the feeder up to hunt or just to watch deer.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/25/18 11:40 PM

I wonder how many deer your neighbor plans to take off his two acre tract.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

The state says he can fill all of his tags, regardless of acreage that he owns. Some of you guys kill me when y’all preach individual rights but y’all want to control how and where someone can hunt on their own land! Kinda ironic don’t you think!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 12:12 AM

Talk to them about the law and being respectful of your neighbors. IE..if a bullet crosses to your property not only is it very dangerous but illegal.

That working together to keep everyone safe and respectful results in neighbors allowing neighbors to retrieve their wounded game because you have good relations.

More times than not things can be worked out amicably.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 12:19 AM

If it is REALLY bothering you take some equipment and offer assistance to cut a sendero through is property. Help him relocate the blind and you prolly have a new buddy for life....or just do it the hard way. Good luck.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 01:47 AM

Some places require 10 acres before any shooting is done.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 01:53 AM

Does he have a stand or just a feeder?
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 02:00 AM

Talk to the person. If they are shooting the state’s deer inside toward their property then I wouldn’t worry.

Maybe even talk to them about retrieving deer and a procedure for contact.

If they are feeding then you are wasting your creative resources trying to put guts, hair etc. Plus that’s being just as bad.

Who knows you might develop a good neighbor.
Posted By: Chris Burton

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 02:07 AM

I would put up a popup and put an Alarm clock in it that's very loud to go off at 7 am opening morning

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 02:41 AM

Lol all these different suggestions are great. Let me clear the air. This person only has a couple acres that they are trying to pull their deer from my property. They literally can come from nowhere’s else. I know the neighbor and there is no sense in any discussions, I promise You this. I got The best buck I’ve ever seen hitting my place like clock work and I have put in a ton of work into making this place what it is today. I have Been deer hunting for a very long time and I take it very seriously. I need To know what I can Put on the fence line to repel the deer from his couple acre tract. If anyone could help I would Sure appreciate it. I do Not find it unsportsmanlike to repel the deer that he is trying to attract from all my sweat and hard work. It’s simple part of the game in my opinion. The feeder is for 100% fact for hunting.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 02:46 AM

If it's just a few acres put in a high fence along that side.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: sunsetroosters
Lol all these different suggestions are great. Let me clear the air. This person only has a couple acres that they are trying to pull their deer from my property. They literally can come from nowhere’s else. I know the neighbor and there is no sense in any discussions, I promise You this. I got The best buck I’ve ever seen hitting my place like clock work and I have put in a ton of work into making this place what it is today. I have Been deer hunting for a very long time and I take it very seriously. I need To know what I can Put on the fence line to repel the deer from his couple acre tract. If anyone could help I would Sure appreciate it. I do Not find it unsportsmanlike to repel the deer that he is trying to attract from all my sweat and hard work. It’s simple part of the game in my opinion. The feeder is for 100% fact for hunting.

Plan to shoot the buck first is my best advice.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 02:53 AM

Buy his two acres.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 03:23 AM

Several years ago I had a friend who had a problem similar to yours. He politely asked them if they could move elsewhere and got a "go to heck" reply. So, that first weekend my friend chose to cut some firewood right alone that fence line. Needless to say next weekend the stand and feeder were moved. Unfortunately, your neighbor only having two acres and he can't move far.

I like the high fence idea. Maybe, get yourself a yappy dog and tie him up near that fence line....(Not really).

Put your stand just across from his feeder and shoot the deer coming to his feeder.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 03:23 AM

Lol Ok
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 03:28 AM

Again? It will be hard to prove they're shooting across the fence unless you are there. Do you really want to be there?

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Bear Charge
Again? It will be hard to prove they're shooting across the fence unless you are there. Do you really want to be there?

All I want To do is throw spray something down the fence line to help detour the deer from wanting to go over there lol.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 03:37 AM

Well I dont Want to talk about the legalities of it but I have A neighbor with that bought a couple acres and put a feeder right on my fence line. What can I put on my side to help detour them from there? Soap, hair? My set up is about 250 yards to the north. Any suggestions would sure be helpful.

How many acres is a couple?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 03:38 AM

All I will say is to be careful. I have seen people get charged for hunter harassment for doing many of the things listed on here.

I would put up no trespassing signs against that fence line. If all he has is 2 acres, bow hunting would be very difficult because the chances of that animal staying on his property is pretty slim.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 03:41 AM

Couple acres. It’s like 2-3ish

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 03:42 AM

I always Heard straight dawn dish soap would work well but an old timer told me that. I’m not sure if it works
Posted By: DH3

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 10:06 AM

FWIW, if the hunter with the feeder shoots a deer on HIS side of the fence and it jumps said fence onto your property it is still his deer. Ask a game warden or lawyer.
It is what it is..
Posted By: phathawg

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 11:17 AM

It may work out in your favor.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 11:24 AM

Have the GW come out and look at his setup. If he thinks it's a problem, ask him to talk to your neighbor.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 11:36 AM

I'm dealing with a similar issue this year for the first time in about 10 seasons.
The guy next door is hunting on a narrow strip of land that borders my place and he put up a feeder and protein feeder in the middle of the strip which is about 300 yards wide.
I used to feed around 300 yards from the fenceline so now his feeder is probably 400 yards at the most from my old feeder.
I decided since he's spending all that money on corn and protein I didn't put any feed in that old feeder this year.
I'll just scatter corn on the ground this year and hunt my powerline and any deer coming or going to his setup will cross my powerline headed to or from his feeder.
I guess I might have to thank him after I kill a deer.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Talk to them about the law and being respectful of your neighbors. IE..if a bullet crosses to your property not only is it very dangerous but illegal.

That working together to keep everyone safe and respectful results in neighbors allowing neighbors to retrieve their wounded game because you have good relations.

More times than not things can be worked out amicably.

I'm with Pitchfork
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 12:04 PM

Couple acres. It’s like 2-3ish

OK, I didn't know if a couple meant 100 or something. Not sure how he can even hunt on a couple acres. Have a talk with him and if at the conclusion of that talk you aren't satisfied, call the GW.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 12:36 PM

Any suggestions that talk about how to actually repel the deer?

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 12:37 PM

Repelling the deer is my only option. For the record.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 12:41 PM

Does he have a deer stand or just a feeder. How big is your place?

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 01:01 PM

He has both. He is bow hunting it. Mines 75 acres.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: DH3
FWIW, if the hunter with the feeder shoots a deer on HIS side of the fence and it jumps said fence onto your property it is still his deer. Ask a game warden or lawyer.
It is what it is..

No it is not their deer. It is not what it is. The landowner can tell them to stay off his property all day long. What law allows trespassing? Please post it! If the law was broken, the GW could get a warrant and recover an animal from a property. If no warrant, all the GW can do is politely ask for permission to search one's property for your game you wounded and died on neighbors property. They could say no.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 01:06 PM

If this is in Texas, he might not have the minimum amount of land to hunt. What county is this?
Posted By: PMK

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip

If this is in Texas, he might not have the minimum amount of land to hunt. What county is this?

yep ...

in answer to the question about repelling deer ... Liquid Fence
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 01:28 PM

Buy him out or high fence may be the only options. I do not believe deer repellents really work, but just my opinion.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 01:36 PM

I have heard Pine Sol works good. I don't know how close the feeder is to the fence, but you could go after dark and just pour it out down the fence line.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 01:47 PM

I don't think anything works good during rut...

It's just how it goes...

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 01:51 PM

I have heard Pine Sol works good. I don't know how close the feeder is to the fence, but you could go after dark and just pour it out down the fence line.

That also means any deer coming from his direction will be blocked as well.
It's best to just forget about it and hunt. It's his place and nothing you can do about it, so why let it bother you and elevate your blood pressure over something you have no control over?
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 02:00 PM

Place an old pop up blind right behind where he is shooting on your side. All this deer repellent may run off the deer on your side.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
It is what it is..

No it is not their deer. It is not what it is. The landowner can tell them to stay off his property all day long. What law allows trespassing? Please post it! If the law was broken, the GW could get a warrant and recover an animal from a property. If no warrant, all the GW can do is politely ask for permission to search one's property for your game you wounded and died on neighbors property. They could say no.

This is my understanding as well.

You really have to question the ethics of someone who hunts a two acre tract. Even with a rifle, the possibility of an animal getting to adjacent property before expiring is too great. And with a bow, it’s damn near guaranteed.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 02:46 PM

I'd ask the Game Warden to talk to him. Other than that, try the liquid fence, and kill the buck before he does.
Posted By: CleerCreekDC

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 03:17 PM

Becareful with what you are trying to do. May get ya a trip to the big house. I’d leave it be and put
Hunt him.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 03:34 PM

It is what it is..
..Hmmmm Ive been told exactly the opposite..we had a good buck jump the fence several years ago with a trail from where shot to the fence.. We could see him 200 yards away laying on a hillside.. Asked the lady for permission she said no,she doesnt like hunters.. Called the GW.. he came out, saw the deer, was very polite to the lady she still said no...but thats another thread....

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: easton1025
It is what it is..
..Hmmmm Ive been told exactly the opposite..we had a good buck jump the fence several years ago with a trail from where shot to the fence.. We could see him 200 yards away laying on a hillside.. Asked the lady for permission she said no,she doesnt like hunters.. Called the GW.. he came out, saw the deer, was very polite to the lady she still said no...but thats another thread....

correct. DH3 you are incorrect sir.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 03:41 PM

Call the GW and ask for help in remedying the situation....Id invest in a couple wifi cameras hidden that can catch him on your property in case of a trespass..best thing about the wifi.. they can steal them all day long but the pic is already in your phone...And like I said in another thread.. you technically dont own those deer they belong to the state no matter how many acres you have... Remember your 78 next to a 1000 acre ranch may put you in the same boat as his 2....... Deer have no boundaries... Hunt hard and hope you get the big boy before he does....
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 04:32 PM

https://www.biogents.com/artificial-human-skin-scent/

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 04:44 PM

Just hang your dirty underwear on the fence.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 04:52 PM

It’s clear there are two facts surrounding the issue of a neighbor shooting a deer that expires on your property.

First, your neighbors cannot enter your property without your permission. The second fact is game wardens can enter your property to ensure laws are being followed. However, I can find nothing that clearly states a game warden can retrieve deer from your property if they were taken legally. Here is where it seems to get a little complicated.

It would seem if a land owner tags a deer that’s on their property, it becomes their deer and the GW has no right to remove it. A neighbor who may have shot the deer cannot legally enter the property to tag and retrieve it. If a GW enters the property and finds the deer and it’s not tagged, the property owner holds the ball for proper tagging. Otherwise, they can give it to the officer for his decision on what to do with it. This could be the out that officers use to retrieve deer shot by hunters on neighboring lands.

However, it would seem that if the property owner finds that trophy buck on his/her property and tags it, it becomes his/her legal harvest. Not an attorney, but the tagging would seem to be the point at which the deer becomes the property of the one in possession of it.

Whatever the case, if you’re not certain you will be able to legally retrieve and tag a deer once you shoot it, find a spot to hunt where it’s most likely you will.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 04:52 PM

Here is another thread similar to yours. You may find something helpful in it.

Fenceline
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 04:58 PM

Hearing all of these methods and trickery, it is no wonder HFs go up.
Posted By: phathawg

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/26/18 11:07 PM

Get clippings from a dog groomer. Usully free for the asking if you have a couple garbage bags. Sprinkle along your side of the fence.
Posted By: longgunner

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 12:27 AM

I have had the same issue as well in the past.

That said, I doubt that the deer you are seeing are only staying on your 75 acres. We hunt 240 acres, and deer are coming and going all the time.

My point is that another neighbor of yours may be honked off that you are shooting "their" deer! It is always the challenge of low fence open range deer hunting.

If it is that important, high fencing that section of your place or spend the same amount of money and buy him out.

One other consideration: be cautious about how nasty you get. There is a decent chance you may be calling him someday for permission to get a deer off his property.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 01:07 AM

It is what it is..

Nope, and he can’t legally recover it unless you give him permission. That deer can lay 5 feet from the fence and there is zero any game warden or lawyer can do about it.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: krmitchell
It is what it is..

Nope, and he can’t legally recover it unless you give him permission. That deer can lay 5 feet from the fence and there is zero any game warden or lawyer can do about it.

Information on the TPWD appears to indicate that as well. It also says nothing about a TPWD officer being able to retrieve a deer that has ended up on a neighbor’s land, nor does it recommend that hunters contact a game warden in that same situation. All an officer can do is enter the property to ensure anyone hunting there is complying with all game laws.

I suspect reports of officers retrieving deer on the behalf of hunters, if true, are examples of officers operating in a gray area. They might encourage the landowner to give the animal to the neighbor who shot it, or perhaps burn a tag if they desire to keep it.

Link

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 02:07 AM

Been a while since I took hunter Ed but they specifically addressed this and said a game warden cannot and would not legally go onto someone’s property to retrieve a deer. I’m sure there is a story of one doing it but that doesn’t make it the norm/law for it to happen.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 02:16 AM

Repelling the deer is my only option. For the record.

It won't matter what you put out for a scent, once the deer have been around it for awhile, they will get used to the smell. If nothing about the smell indicates danger, after awhile they will not associate it with danger and ignore the smell. The smells, sounds, vehicles etc., the deer see, hear and smell have to been associated with danger before they will avoid the area. If no danger happens, they will soon ignore it.

I can ride through our pasture with the guy that farm leases our place and the deer just look up and watch us as we drive through. But if I drive through the pasture in a strange pickup, they will scatter as we drive through. But if I use that latter pickup and drive through on a regular basis, they will get used to it and after awhile ignore me.
Posted By: rfamilyhunting

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 03:07 AM

It is what it is..

Information on the TPWD appears to indicate that as well. It also says nothing about a TPWD officer being able to retrieve a deer that has ended up on a neighbor’s land, nor does it recommend that hunters contact a game warden in that same situation. All an officer can do is enter the property to ensure anyone hunting there is complying with all game laws.

I suspect reports of officers retrieving deer on the behalf of hunters, if true, are examples of officers operating in a gray area. They might encourage the landowner to give the animal to the neighbor who shot it, or perhaps burn a tag if they desire to keep it.

Link

Game Wardens have ways if a landowner refuses to let someone retrieve a deer, depending upon the situation and their attitude, the Game Warden can give the landowner a ticket for wasting game meat. That usually will get them a free pass to retrieve the deer.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: rfamilyhunting
It is what it is..

Link

Game Wardens have ways if a landowner refuses to let someone retrieve a deer, depending upon the situation and their attitude, the Game Warden can give the landowner a ticket for wasting game meat. That usually will get them a free pass to retrieve the deer.

I am not sure that would stick.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: rfamilyhunting
It is what it is..

Link

Can you give one example of this happening and the charges sticking?
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 04:59 AM

It's most likely a case of you might be the rap but can't beat the ride.

Willfully wasting game meat from one of god's edible creatures ought to be the main concern here for any landowner or hunter regardless of which side of the fence it died on. These sorts of discussions and opinions put a bad light on Texas hunting.

In fact these annual discussions bring out the worst in people from all sides.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 10:48 AM

Not sure, but perhaps the reason why hunters often move their feeders away fence lines after being contacted by a game warden is because they tell them any deer that falls on the other side of the fence is their neighbor’s deer. I mean, how many officers out there really want to be involved in such disputes. Don’t they already have enough time just trying to keep up with the ones who willfully break the law?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BOONER

The state says he can fill all of his tags, regardless of acreage that he owns. Some of you guys kill me when y’all preach individual rights but y’all want to control how and where someone can hunt on their own land! Kinda ironic don’t you think!

Protecting individual rights is easy when the world is made up of good people.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Protecting individual rights is easy when the world is made up of good people.

Options are easy, either high fence him out or suck it up and see if he does anything nefarious. Anything else is either postulating or conjecture. Yes, I am getting pumped for the Supreme Court hearings today!

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/27/18 01:21 PM

I would be more concerned about a hunter harassment charge being brought against you for trying to ruin his hunt if I were you. Read the laws about HH.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/28/18 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

It's most likely a case of you might be the rap but can't beat the ride.

Willfully wasting game meat from one of god's edible creatures ought to be the main concern here for any landowner or hunter regardless of which side of the fence it died on. These sorts of discussions and opinions put a bad light on Texas hunting.

In fact these annual discussions bring out the worst in people from all sides.

No game warden in their right mind is going to ticket a landowner for “wasting game” because he isn’t willing to allow someone on their property to try and retrieve a deer they shot near the fence line. That’s just ridiculous. On the other hand, I would support them ticketing the idiot that hunted the fence line irresponsibly in the first place and lost a deer.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/28/18 02:58 AM

Is the fence all on your property or shared?

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/28/18 01:34 PM

High fence your side, and talk to the neighbors on the other three sides into high fencing as well....Problem solved,and you are only talking 2 acres so it's not going to be that expensive if you split the cost.
If you don't want to high fence your side, then what that tells me is you don't want deer blocked from jumping in from his side, so you can't have it both ways, unless you just accept the fact he is within his rights.
Posted By: Western

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/28/18 03:31 PM

Rooster, I think you best bet is keep your place as conducive to deer and let the neighbors scent and activity run/keep the deer at bay, you don't have control of the wind direction 23/7, you cant be there 24/7, you said reasoning with him is out of the question. He has less than 3 acres, he will be his worst enemy and deer will pin point his stand pretty quick if he over hunts it anyway.

You could spend the cash for a more permanent solution, a HF, but you may have negatives to that as well, only you know if the cost is worth the aggravation. I don't think there is a any "scent" you can put out that will detour deer for any amount of valuable time and if the wind shifted, could screw you as well. I'd wager you could have a hundred dogs run that fence today and still get deer on TC overnight.

My 1st concern would be my safety if ever uses a rifle and him trespassing, that fence is where my TC would be hidden if it was me.

Good luck with it sir, just don't let it ruin your time there over worry about much you cant ultimately control.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/28/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Rooster, I think you best bet is keep your place as conducive to deer and let the neighbors scent and activity run/keep the deer at bay, you don't have control of the wind direction 23/7, you cant be there 24/7, you said reasoning with him is out of the question. He has less than 3 acres, he will be his worst enemy and deer will pin point his stand pretty quick if he over hunts it anyway.

You could spend the cash for a more permanent solution, a HF, but you may have negatives to that as well, only you know if the cost is worth the aggravation. I don't think there is a any "scent" you can put out that will detour deer for any amount of valuable time and if the wind shifted, could screw you as well. I'd wager you could have a hundred dogs run that fence today and still get deer on TC overnight.

^^^^^^this peep

My 1st concern would be my safety if ever uses a rifle and him trespassing, that fence is where my TC would be hidden if it was me.

Good luck with it sir, just don't let it ruin your time there over worry about much you cant ultimately control.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/28/18 03:45 PM

“If you treat every situation as a life and death matter, you’ll die a lot of times.” Just my thought on this. Go, enjoy, have fun.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/29/18 03:48 AM

Lol cracks me up how far off the question this post got. Even after specifically stating that I didnt Wanna talk about the legalities, simply because I knew the post would go this way. 7 pages of comments and how many were about actual repellents lol.
Posted By: waderaider1

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/29/18 11:12 AM

just put up a 4x8 sign on your side of the fence at the feeder location that simply says please dont shoot in this direction. after he shoots the sign call the sheriff and the GW. either way he will get the message.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/29/18 12:17 PM

Lol cracks me up how far off the question this post got. Even after specifically stating that I didnt Wanna talk about the legalities, simply because I knew the post would go this way. 7 pages of comments and how many were about actual repellents lol.

You received many 'on topic' answers, there is no repellent that will have lasting results.
Deer become accustom to anything that doesn't prove to be a threat.

Like has been said,
Talk to the neighbor.
Call the GW & explain your concerns of a projectile crossing onto your property from the neighbors place.
Hang sheet(s) of plywood or roof tin on T posts on your side where you believe a projectile may cross property line, ( can & has been used as evidence).
High fence, inexpensive & take less than a day to high fence the length it would take to deter access of a few acres.
Buy the neighbor out.
Get over it, no matter how much work & expense the deer are not yours, nor does it give you any claim or right to kill them.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/29/18 06:29 PM

Just put a deer feeder 20 yards on your side of the fence and throw corn about 5times a day and put a big box blind right on the fence next to his feeder. Put a camera on the box blind facing your feeder. If the guy is an arse he will shoot the blind then you have proof he shot across your fence, game over. Or the cameram might get picks of him jumping the fence and again game over.
I would also check the county you are in and see if there are any acre res ructions on firing a high power rifle. Many have a 10 acre law.
Posted By: TKM

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/29/18 10:03 PM

Why the need to do anything? He can put a feeder on the other end of his property and the deer will find it. You put a feeder on your 75 acres to attract deer from your neighbors. None of your hard work entitles you to the deer in the area more than him or anyone else. Go hunt, forget the petty BS.
Posted By: PKGR

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/30/18 03:34 PM

He can also have all his buddies over to fill all their tags. & his church group buddies can come shoot all the deer they want also, filling their tags.

There is no limit to has many deer can be shot on a property, of any size, in Texas.

The best repellant is HF. In this scenario, only being 2-3 acres, I would offer to pay the other neighbors portion of HF also, just to lock out Mr 2 Acres, just to see that is done.

Re: Feeder on fencline hmmm - 09/30/18 07:56 PM

Sounds like a bunch of small acreage tracts so high fencing wouldn't be practical when surrounded by them.
If the OP has way more land, then just fence off that part where the guy owns his property and you are done messing with him.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum