Texas Hunting Forum

Game Hoist

Posted By: brian43

Game Hoist - 12/10/17 10:25 PM

When the Deer or Hog is hoisted up,How do u keep it from swiveling around?Does anybody have ideas or pictures on how to stop this?
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Game Hoist - 12/10/17 10:59 PM

When you say hoisted, I'm guessing a spreader through the hocks? If so, you simply will have to use your or someone else's while cleaning it. Not difficult once you've done it 5 times or so.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Game Hoist - 12/10/17 11:36 PM

We tie a leg to one of the outrigger poles.

Re: Game Hoist - 12/10/17 11:45 PM

Your hands or another's hands to hold animal steady
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Game Hoist - 12/10/17 11:56 PM

We have a rope tied to the gamble and then tie it off after the deer is hoisted. Works pretty well.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Game Hoist - 12/11/17 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: KingwoodCat
We tie a leg to one of the outrigger poles.
What I do.....
Posted By: rdmac

Re: Game Hoist - 12/11/17 12:40 AM

This is how we got our hoists set up.

Re: Game Hoist - 12/11/17 12:47 AM

Hanging head down, they may not twist as much.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Game Hoist - 12/11/17 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

This ^^^^
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Game Hoist - 12/11/17 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

I didn’t realize anybody hung them head up.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Game Hoist - 12/11/17 02:37 PM

I cut a hole in the back knee of one leg, run my chain through that hole and lift it so it's upside down. Being able to spin it around helps to get it where I want it.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Game Hoist - 12/11/17 03:03 PM

Get some help!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Game Hoist - 12/11/17 06:51 PM

We've got a place in the back of the lease we call the bone yard.
We have a boat winch lag bolted to an oak trunk, with a swivel up above on a limb that hangs over so we can drive right under the gam hook. Cut slits with the knife at the hocks, and place the gam hook between the legs and hoist it up.
We use a small piece of rope to tie off one leg where it's hooked on the gam, and then to the tree.
It's pretty much grown into the tree and become part of it.
It's head down, skin the deer, cut off the front shoulders, take off the backstraps and tenders, saw off the rib cage and backbones just in front of the hindquarters, and then remove the 2 hams from the hooks and your done.
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Game Hoist - 12/11/17 07:01 PM

Deer cleaning is so much easier with the head up! It all falls out nicely and much easier
Posted By: rdmac

Re: Game Hoist - 12/11/17 08:00 PM

I agree with ADvTX. I've cleaned deer both ways and head up lets gravity do it's thing. Very quick, clean, and easy!
Posted By: Duck Buster

Re: Game Hoist - 12/11/17 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: AdvTX
Deer cleaning is so much easier with the head up! It all falls out nicely and much easier

All depends on if you field dress the deer first. If you don't, I agree with this. If you do, then its a matter of preference.

Personally, I have also found I get less hair on the deer and maintain better control of the deer moving while skinning when hoisted by back legs. But I learned how to skin deer hanging by the hind legs, and admittedly prefer it that way. To keep them from spinning- I usually have someone hold a front leg. If alone- tie a front leg to something.

Re: Game Hoist - 12/11/17 11:46 PM

Gravity works either way with head up or down, deer is hanging either way. I like head down as I open up the rear, cut out anal cavity dropping bladdet and internals as I cut the cavity down. Doesn't get much easier, 10-15 minutes tops. If I want to shoulder mount, cut down to back of shoulder and flip up to release rest of blood and internals.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Game Hoist - 12/12/17 12:56 AM

After the gambrel is hooked up use large S hooks that can be tied off to the main supports of the hoist. Probably mentioned above but didn't read through all the posts LOL. Oh and head down but that is just my opinion - cleaned both ways and prefer head down, especially if skinning and quartering and not just field dressed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum