Posted By: Cowboy9215

whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 01:59 AM

I don't have one. food
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 02:00 AM

I'm kinda likin jerky...
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 02:05 AM

A tender cut. A little mesquite fire. A little seasoning. ‘Bout a minute on each side. Done.

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 02:11 AM

well I lied a little. I was leaning more towards the complex recipes, simple will work though. chicken fried with mash tators, jalapeno cornbread, and some sort vegi side

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 02:12 AM

I figure someone will say stuffed jalapenos. haven't tried it yet.
Posted By: Erny

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 02:29 AM

Venison tacos.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 02:38 AM

Venison burgers.

https://youtu.be/fNOS_lQ_D-U

https://youtu.be/mt9s7_ZpQFQ
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 02:51 AM

Slice backstrap or tenderloin thin, I usually pound it with a meat hammer, dredge in flour and fry.

Must be served with homemade biscuits and white gravy.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Cow_doc.308
Slice backstrap or tenderloin thin, I usually pound it with a meat hammer, dredge in flour and fry.

You're wasting the best cuts chicken frying them. Get you a multi bladed meat tenderizer and use it on chunk of leg roast. It will taste indentical to the fries back strap, be just as tender, and you can cook back strap and tenderloin like they deserve to be cooked.

I'll take a back strap, butterfly it out, stuff it with spinach, roasted red peppers, and Parmesan cheese, roll it up, and roast or grill it. Tenderloins I just season, wrap in bacon, and cook in the oven til the bacon is cooked.

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 04:35 AM

I always get my Backstraps cut into steaks. And everything else into sausages and burger. Honestly I taste no different from blackstrap to a leg quarter. It’s all venison.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 04:42 AM

Montreal steak seasoning coating a 6 inch or so piece of back strap for hours in the fridge. Take it out and let come to room temp then grill on over hot coals until rare or medium rare. take off grill and let rest 10 minutes. Slice thin cross grain. Serve with mashed sweet taters, bacon wrapped green beans grilled and Shiner beer bread.

Play on that won an Iron chef type challenge for my nephew while in culinary school only his was with kangaroo and speeded up some with that fancy kitchen stuff.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Montreal steak seasoning coating a 6 inch or so piece of back strap for hours in the fridge. Take it out and let come to room temp then grill on over hot coals until rare or medium rare. take off grill and let rest 10 minutes. Slice thin cross grain. Serve with mashed sweet taters, bacon wrapped green beans grilled and Shiner beer bread.

Play on that won an Iron chef type challenge for my nephew while in culinary school only his was with kangaroo and speeded up some with that fancy kitchen stuff.

I always use Montreal steak seasoning. Nothing else I've tried beats it. cheers food
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted By: kmon1

I always use Montreal steak seasoning. Nothing else I've tried beats it. cheers food
x3
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 02:31 PM

Yes sir. this.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 02:39 PM

I just started making ground chilli meat browned in a skillet with garlic and olive oil, add salt and fresh ground peppercorn with a touch of cumin, next add a head of cabbage and season to taste. Put it in wonton wraps and deepfry til crispy. I'm going to add a little carrots one day. drink7
Posted By: Stub

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 02:46 PM

Coarse black pepper and a little Garlic powder, then grill it over mesquite to no more than medium rare food
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 06:45 PM

Smoked Tenderloin. Mmmmmmm.......

Here's how I do it:

Quarter and ice down deer immediately after tagging. Gutless method, don't forget to reach in and remove the best tasting cut of venison, the tenderloin.
Put loins in a baggie with salt water to brine while messin with the firebox. Using charcoal and pecan wood, get the charcoals grayed over and wood smokin.

Pat dry loins with paper towels and cut off as much fat and connective tissue as possible.

Punch holes in loin with hand held spike tenderizer and season with spices at hand. Onion/garlic powder/salt, cumin, kosher salt and ground black pepper, webber steak n chop, oregano, chili powder, whatever you have or like. I'll get some Montreal seasoning before the next smoke and give it a try.
Then wrap with bacon, no need for toothpics.

The large tenderloins from the big 8 this year took two pieces of bacon each and took two hours, smokin at low temp(225-230).

Check meat temp with thermometer after an hour or so. I like to reach 165F(about 1.5 - 2 hrs), then remove, wrap in foil and let rest for about 15-20 mins before slicing.

Makes for some deliciously tender and juicy venison.
Posted By: KnoxCityNate

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 07:07 PM

I have a big family we mostly grind it up for burger. I do make a little bit of jerky each season.
Posted By: Pitman

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 09:52 PM

I marinate mine in Italian dressing,Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce, small amount of lemon juice then sprinkle on some steak seasoning right before grilling on a HOT charcoal and oak wood fire. Grill fast with lid on to get maximum wood smoke flavor. Did this last night on the backstrap of a buck i shot saturday. truly fantastic
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt

Yes sir. this.

Amen!
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/13/17 11:51 PM

Cut the backstrap into good sized chunks, marinate in Stubs beef marinade for several hours then make shish kabobs with mushrooms, onions and bell peppers and grill. I put the meat on skewers separate from the vegies so as not to over cook the meat trying to get the vegies done.
Posted By: JH117

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/14/17 12:06 AM

I 2nd the Montreal seasoning. I cut my backstrap into half inch slices, season with Montreal steak seasoning and wrap in bacon. I cook them until the bacon is done and the steaks usually come out cooked to about medium.

I also like to make venison sliders with Hawaiian rolls.
Posted By: txshotgun

Re: whats your go to venison recipe? - 11/14/17 03:53 AM

Venison stew.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum