Texas Hunting Forum

Anybody hunting runnels county?

Posted By: thorn4570

Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/07/09 07:16 PM

anybody hunting runnels county near ballinger? thanks for the help.

Posted By: Chopped54

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/07/09 08:53 PM

I hunt Runnells, about 20 miles from Ballinger.
What's up?

Posted By: TXBowhunter1

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/07/09 09:47 PM

why do u ask?

Posted By: fishinbob2

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/07/09 10:18 PM

good hunting there but you have to be patient and have food plots. I have done well there but monsters are rare due to hunting pressure

Posted By: brokenpole

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/13/09 08:59 PM

20 miles from ballinger on oak creek, what did you need

Posted By: DuctTape

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/13/09 10:57 PM

We have a place about 8 miles to the NE of Ballinger. Good turkey hunting and decent deer. Would not expect to see many 160's though.

Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/14/09 12:20 AM

I hunt about 4 miles north of there on Elm Creek.

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/15/09 01:43 PM

Thanks for the comments. I picked up a place north of ballinger. Its a two gun lease and i can take wife and kids. I have been huntin young county and saw one deer in two seasons but it was close. Kids and me got little tired of not seeing anything. Saw 12 deer and a bunch of turkey in the middle of the day with 20 mph winds when looked at the place. May not kill a trophy but it all about the kids for me. Thanks again

Posted By: Chopped54

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/15/09 09:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the comments. I picked up a place north of ballinger. Its a two gun lease and i can take wife and kids. I have been huntin young county and saw one deer in two seasons but it was close. Kids and me got little tired of not seeing anything. Saw 12 deer and a bunch of turkey in the middle of the day with 20 mph winds when looked at the place. May not kill a trophy but it all about the kids for me. Thanks again

Then you will be happy with the area.
There has not been a hunt that I have not seen at least 4-5 deer, most of the time upwards of a dozen. Saw quite a few shooter bucks this year, took a nice trophy turkey. Always hogs and varnmints. Good Taxi and processor nearby, Walmart, and Rough Country for all your last min needs....

Posted By: ScottF

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/15/09 10:34 PM

I'm in far north Runnels County. We see lots of does and smaller bucks. One very nice buck taken off the lease last year. Big and wide 8 point. Some turkey too.

Posted By: jbranscum

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/22/09 05:02 PM

Hunted Runnels county in 03 with Dad and friends.. The deer were scarce but there were decent animals when they did come along.

Turkey were around during the deer season.. first and only time I've ever watched turkey roost on a high-line power line (the 100ft transmission lines).. that was a pretty awesome sight going on 20 ft in front of me.

Another first and only was the game warden.. never seen one before or since the one in Runnels County.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/23/09 08:16 AM

Hunted the western part of the county all of my life, the deer were pretty scarce prior to the 70s then the deer population started to improve. It was in the 90s that it really boomed. Now it it is what I would call decent for meat hunters with a few trophies thrown in for the antler hunters. A lot depends on the exact location, there are a lot of cultivated areas that can change everything with in just a few miles. Kind of hard for the deer to hide out in the middle of open fields.

Posted By: tx rattler

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 04/24/09 06:23 AM

I hunt with a friend 2 or 3 times a year on a cotton field between Ballinger & Bronte.

Posted By: trophycalls

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 07/27/09 07:59 AM

I've hunted there my entire life. Dogcatcher is right. A few nice places, near the river(s) hold some nice deer. other properties have good hunting but a select few have great hunting.

Even the bad places will fill a cooler. I've killed 4-5 deer and 1-2 turkeys almost every year for 5 years.

Posted By: general1123

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 07/28/09 01:20 AM

I hunt right by Elm Creek Reservoir. We have some decent deer with a really good buck ebing taken the last three years. Plenty of deer, hogs and varmints

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/04/09 05:05 PM

put up my feeder and two tripods for me and my girls. thats right girls. i have two girls and one boy and they all hunt. theyve been climbing in a stand almost since they could walk. my middle girl bow hunts. saw 10 deer and 2 jackrabbits and something had dug a hole in the ground big enough to put your leg down in it. it had fresh dirt all around it so i am figuring coyotes or is there badger in that part of country. we have already seen more deer than we saw in two seasons on our old lease. tracks everywhere. i put up a camera and will go back next week and will post pics. me and my kids are pumped.

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/04/09 08:30 PM

I went this weekend too. All I saw was a fox but I put up 4 stands and 4 feeders and 2 cameras. Pictures coming soon. Can't wait for the cold fronts to get here.

Posted By: StoneyLarue13

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/05/09 02:11 AM

I hunt just south of the Runnels/Concho line; it's good solid hunting, especially if you have manageable sized leases w/ like minds surrounding you. Something's wrong if you don't see a deer every sitting, typically.

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/05/09 04:09 AM

Wheres your place at thorn? Im on CR330 off of 83

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/05/09 05:46 PM

I just aquired a place between ballinger and Bronte. It is mostly cultivated but there is an 80 ac crp pasture plus a spring fed tank. It is the firsts place before it is all farmland brushy all the way to the river. Going on my first hog hunt this weekend.

Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/06/09 06:25 AM

I cant wait for this weekend! Hope we can get you a big one.
I noticed there was a season for antelope in Runnels. Is there a good ammount to where its worth looking at getting permits for? How about hog population arround Norton?

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/06/09 07:34 AM

I'm just a stone's toss away from Runnels, never heard of PHA being there, but hmmm...

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/07/09 02:21 PM

Big country im out 158. I will be headin back out the middle of next week. Put up feeder and check cameras. Have not seen any hogs anybody got hogs near ballinger?

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/07/09 07:27 PM

I'm north east about 7 miles from Ballinger and I have not seen any hogs or signs of hogs.

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/08/09 05:29 PM

I heard a rumor that they came in with a chopper and killed mucho hogs. That makes me almost sad I wanna get a hog tonight.

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/08/09 10:45 PM

From what I've heard, the hogs are still about 15-30 miles to the south and east of paintrock, so a year or two more of peace perhaps...

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/10/09 12:00 AM

I spent the first night at the new property. I like the area. I also discovered that I know didly about hunting hogs. We set up on the tank at dusk, didn't see anything. Made camp and ate a bite, then made the rounds with the spotlight. We counted over 50 deer on the property, mostly doe early evening, but no hogs. We kept searching till about 1:30 AM and fell out. The next AM. my son walked up to the tank and found fresh hog tracks ovr out tire tracks from the evening before. As we were sleeping the hogs had came withing 25 yards of our camp! A local (who also traps hogs) said they most likely came out about 3-4 AM. There definately is a serious infestation in this area. We found numerous carcases, even a pile of burned ones and a few empty traps. (The county has hired a trapper) I have a feeder and cam out so we will see. I believe tha pressure has made the hogs a bit wiley

The bird hunting looks very promising. I saw plenty dove even with the rainfall and we jumped quail everywhere. Runnels County rocks.

Posted By: Drop1

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/10/09 05:53 AM

Just got on deer lease west of Ballinger near Bronte Tx off of C.R. 214, Anyone know how deer hunting is in this area?

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/10/09 06:31 AM

Our place is right on Elm Creek, and we have seen a few hogs movin thru in the bottom, but luckily they havnt stayed long.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/10/09 06:38 AM

Quote:

Just got on deer lease west of Ballinger near Bronte Tx off of C.R. 214, Anyone know how deer hunting is in this area?

That place is close enough to the Colorado river that you can have some real good ones. Most that you will see will be decent, but there are some big ones in that area. Just depends on their food sources.

Posted By: hornet527

Re: Anybody hunting runnels county? - 08/10/09 09:08 AM

Quote:

Our place is right on Elm Creek, and we have seen a few hogs movin thru in the bottom, but luckily they havnt stayed long.

for the most part there are a lot of deer, but not to many "monsters" . you'll see a good one ever now and then. 110- 120 will be the average there.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum