Texas Hunting Forum

ear tags on deer

Posted By: vanguard

ear tags on deer - 12/22/16 06:37 PM

game cam showed 2 does with ear tags on our place ? does TPW tag deer ? are these off a high fence ranch ? what do high fence ranches tag does for. do they have good genetics ? are they off limits to shoot ?
Posted By: titan2232

Re: ear tags on deer - 12/22/16 07:28 PM

Just the deer herd evolving. Self installed to keep folks from shooting them up
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: ear tags on deer - 12/22/16 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
Just the deer herd evolving. Self installed to keep folks from shooting them up

That's funny.

I think you can shoot a ear-tagged deer if it is on your place. As others have said, you can certainly shoot a deer with a hole in its ear...
Posted By: dkershen

Re: ear tags on deer - 12/22/16 09:05 PM

A high fence operation upgraded your gene pool by accident. I would never shoot those does.
Posted By: rickym

Re: ear tags on deer - 12/22/16 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
A high fence operation upgraded your gene pool by accident. I would never shoot those does.

This, but if you want to that bad, you can.
Posted By: mustafa

Re: ear tags on deer - 12/22/16 09:51 PM

our neighbor released a few tagged bucks a few years ago. I guess they didn't meet his criteria. One was taken, but it was nothing great.
Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Re: ear tags on deer - 12/22/16 09:58 PM

The odds are they somehow escaped from a HF ranch, so I would assume they have good genetics. Heck, they may have already been bred to a high class buck before escaping. Ditto on not shooting them because they probably are an upgrade in genetics. Tell your neighbors to lay off of them too.

Re: ear tags on deer - 12/22/16 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym

cool beans i definatey dont need to shoot them, we have tons of does we can shoot, just wondered if you could, hope they stick around then.

Re: ear tags on deer - 12/22/16 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Ag Hunter 78
The odds are they somehow escaped from a HF ranch, so I would assume they have good genetics. Heck, they may have already been bred to a high class buck before escaping. Ditto on not shooting them because they probably are an upgrade in genetics. Tell your neighbors to lay off of them too.

weve been fortunate enough not to have neighbors that hunt for the past 20 years, im talkin around 4 thousand acres around us, well not until this year the widow next to us decided to let her new son in law hunt, theyve shot no less then 10 times this year, we havent fired a shot except 2 on hogs
Posted By: Stompy

Re: ear tags on deer - 12/22/16 10:40 PM

If you can get their tag numbers you can call TPWD and find out where they came from and how old they are.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: ear tags on deer - 12/23/16 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: vanguard
Originally Posted By: rickym

cool beans i definatey dont need to shoot them, we have tons of does we can shoot, just wondered if you could, hope they stick around then.
I'd start shooting the other breeding age does to give these two better chances of being bred next season.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum