Texas Hunting Forum

Deer fight

Posted By: redfred

Deer fight - 12/13/16 12:35 AM

I recorded this last Saturday at my boss's ranch in South Texas. This was an awesome fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVx3Quil88c&feature=youtu.be
At the end, I thought one of the deer had killed the other one, but he got away.
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 12:48 AM

Posted By: MikeC

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 12:55 AM

Man they both had to be worn out. I've witnessed several full blown fights but don't know that I've seen one go on for 10 minutes.
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 01:00 AM

pretty sure I saw a couple in that vid that I would have shot... grin
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 01:29 AM

Would be a good time to plant that food plot. Those boys really plowed up that field.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 01:31 AM

That is a video of a lifetime!!!
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 01:41 AM

Right place at the right time. Great video!
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 01:46 AM

Pretty intense, most I have seen last a few seconds.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 02:22 AM

Ashame your boss doesn't have any big deer.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 02:45 AM

Is that like a buck petting zoo?
Posted By: samh

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 03:28 AM

How many other bucks came in? I told my wife all those turkey were buzzards waiting on the loser lol...
Posted By: MontagueMonsters

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 01:03 PM

That was an intense video to say the least. I thought I was hearing the camera man breathing hard, then soon realized it was the deer!

How but the giant 8 that comes in at the one minute mark, holy cow!
Posted By: Grizzley0531

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 01:05 PM

that had to be cool to see in person, great video.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 01:28 PM

Wow! Awesome video. I got exhausted just watching it! I bet they both slept well that night.

cheers
Posted By: Woj

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 01:48 PM

Awesome video, and 10 minutes! I got footage of one that was three minutes and I thought that was a long fight!

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 02:26 PM

More inches of antlers in that video than I will see in the next 10 years.

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 02:35 PM

Thanks for all the comments. It was indeed something awesome to behold. I was at my boss's ranch (high fence ranch south of San Antonio)where we take customers to hunt. Employees like me are usually allowed to shoot does or cull bucks, and I had already shot an 8 pointer. I was in the blind, knowing I couldn't shoot another deer, but hoping for a pig or a coyote. There are some really great deer at the ranch, and I love seeing them. Since I have a small low fence ranch and also hunt public lands, I am astounded to see the number and quality of deer a my boss's place.
When the fight was over, I walked over to the place where the one buck pinned the other to the ground at the end (I thought he killed him)and found tufts of hair, but no blood, so I guess the loser lived to fight another day.
I have seen a couple other fights, but they never lasted more than a few seconds. While I was recording this, my battery on my phone got down to less than 10%. If my battery had died before the fight was over, I might have used my phone for target practice.
The funny thing was that about 20 minutes after I recorded this, I played it back and when the clanking of the antlers started, a couple more deer ran right up to my blind. I may keep the recording and use it instead of rattling.
Posted By: Chris001

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 03:09 PM

Great video
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 03:59 PM

About the best "well matched" buck fight I have seen. texas
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 04:14 PM

That was great. Must be nice to experience a place like that.
Posted By: Combine Kid

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 04:20 PM

It's like a school yard fight. Everybody runs to see it, and by everybody, I mean other deer.
Posted By: Buddy

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 04:21 PM

that was an awesome video, would really like to see a good fight like that.
Posted By: RightTurnTaxidermy

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 04:36 PM

up
Posted By: OffCoor1

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 05:15 PM

Good stuff !! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Deer fight - 12/13/16 05:19 PM

Good grief that was cool!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Deer fight - 12/14/16 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Walkabout
Would be a good time to plant that food plot. Those boys really plowed up that field.
Originally Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1
pretty sure I saw a couple in that vid that I would have shot... grin
Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
Is that like a buck petting zoo?
Posted By: BMag

Re: Deer fight - 12/14/16 04:57 PM

duel cheers

Re: Deer fight - 12/16/16 03:54 PM

I agree with all these comments. By the time the deer got through fighting, there was a pretty big area plowed up. That particular area is leased to a vegetable company (I can't remember, but it's Hunts or Green Giant or somebody). There's a center pivot irrigation system there, and in a couple of months, the place will be covered in peas or beans, and the deer will look like Porky Pig. My boss has owned this ranch for about 7 years, and does a great job of managing the deer. We invite customers to hunt some, and a few lucky employees like me get to shoot culls and does (I got an 8 pointer this year), and they sell hunts for deer, doves, and turkeys. The morning I shot the video, there were 42 deer and 36 turkeys in and around the pasture. For a guy who's used to hunting on public lands, where you can go 6 times without seeing any deer at all, the sight of all these is amazing. Somewhere out on the ranch is a 20 pointer. If I ever see him, I might need CPR worse than the loser in the fight I recorded.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Deer fight - 12/16/16 04:27 PM

Cool
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Deer fight - 12/18/16 04:14 PM

Pretty typical stuff for east Texas public land hunting how old is the one on right side ?

Re: Deer fight - 12/21/16 10:58 PM

I'm not very good at aging deer, but someone told me they were both 3-1/2 or 4-1/2 years old. The big buck that comes in at about a minute is nicknamed "Crown Royal". It's got a heck of a set of antlers. A guy could get pretty spoiled hunting on this ranch, but lowly employees like me are only allowed to shoot does and culls. Luckily for me, what my boss calls a cull I call the biggest 8 pointer I've ever shot. We had some of the meat for dinner last week and it was awesome. I'm making chili for the folks in the office while it's cold weather.
Thanks again for all the nice comments. It was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Deer fight - 12/26/16 10:27 PM

Great place to be! Great job on the camera!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Deer fight - 12/26/16 10:49 PM

Awesome
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: Deer fight - 12/27/16 03:08 PM

Nice!! Got to see a pair of 8's go at it for about 45 seconds two weeks ago...Nothing like these boys though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum