Texas Hunting Forum

Who else is skunked so far?

Posted By: jsplinter

Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 07:29 PM

Lots of threads with people getting deer on here and Facebook but I got skunked this morning. Didn't even see anything at the feeder. Saw three when I was walking back to the truck though
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 07:38 PM

I saw plenty of deer for as hot and muggy as it was, just most of the bucks moved very early. Of course I am done with my 13" and over buck in an AR county. So I will see lots of bucks now since I am down to hunting spikes/does(MLD), hogs and coyotes.
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 07:44 PM

I didn't see anything, stayed in blind as long as I could stand it and got out at 10. Will head back out in 45 min or so.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 07:59 PM

No bucks yet. Saw 4 does and 2 yotes this AM. They were just crossing and the corn from the feeders is just piling up. It does not appear that rut has begun in here in NE Texas.

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 08:12 PM

As I was walking out I saw the three, a 4 point, doe and 8 point all 10 yards on the other side of the fence. I will set up in the morning and see if I can get one of them to cross over. This was at 1015 this morning. Heading out again right now
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 08:15 PM

Saw a couple bucks and a could does this morning. Nothing good enough to pick up the rifle. Had an 8 point come by a few minutes ago that I think needed culling but wanted to run him by the others on the lease first
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 08:39 PM

Saw a couple of does to my west, out in the hay field munching grass. Then a young non-shooter 8 point came by me, obviously hunting Wimmin. He had that look - the stare and the walk.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 08:55 PM

I saw a 10 and a 12, but then I woke up and realized I was at home! clap

(......withdrawal symptoms)
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 09:13 PM

One small 8 point, two doe, an axis doe and 4 very small piggies

On stand now hope to get a good one
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1
I didn't see anything, stayed in blind as long as I could stand it and got out at 10. Will head back out in 45 min or so.

I'm in Canton as well. Went out this morning during the rain. Nothing ever came to the feeder.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Erny
No bucks yet. Saw 4 does and 2 yotes this AM. They were just crossing and the corn from the feeders is just piling up. It does not appear that rut has begun in here in NE Texas.

Still no rut in Van zandt that I know about. Been catching pictures of a group of does coming in between 1-4am.

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 09:27 PM

I'm back in the stand and the neighbor to south has fires off 12-15 rounds between 3:53 & 4:18 SMDH...
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 10:09 PM

Just got in two hours ago and nothing so far. However, feeders were pretty cleaned out. Must've been good this morning.

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/05/16 10:52 PM

I've seen two fawn tonight. My feeders are FULL. I think the deer come eat three kernels then leave
Posted By: Randy H

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 12:51 AM

I got to hunt 8 times during bow season. I saw a grand total of 2 deer and 4 hogs. None of which presented a shot.

This morning, while fishing THSBA on Palestine, we saw 11 deer, around 8:30 in the rain. 3 bucks and the rest does and yearlings. No shooters, but I told the boys, this is way better than actually hunting this morning. We got to fish and saw more deer than my entire bow season.

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 02:14 AM

Still skunked, didn't see anything. Neighbor fired off a total of 12-15 rounds, 1 shot every 2-3 min from 355-420.
Posted By: kmkellar

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 01:16 PM

Haven't seen a darn thing in Karnes County.

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 01:37 PM

I've seen one so far this morning, but on the wrong side of the fence. I knew I should have bought that 14 acres too...lol
Posted By: Spent Brass

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 01:44 PM

Nothing yet this morning, I put a doe in the freezer last night right at last light. Good luck y'all!
Posted By: birdman99

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 02:21 PM

SKunked here.......acorns still on ground is why i'm guessing
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 02:24 PM

Seeing deer, but nothing at feeders. Won't be worth hunting feeders for several weeks. My deer usually leave feeders in mid Oct and come back late December. Hogs keep em cleared out though.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 02:33 PM

Beautiful morning here in Lee county. Saw a nice buck chasing a doe on my neighbors property. I have permission to shoot over his fence but I just can't bring myself to do that. They were headed down into a creek bottom so I doubt if I'll see them again this morning.
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 02:51 PM

Here in Nacogdoches, nobody on our lease has seen a thing. We got pictures on cameras, so we know they're here just haven't seen anything. Very little shooting around as well compared to most opening weekends.

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 03:10 PM

Just saw a momma and two fawns browsing through the woods. Guess we still got acorns down too
Posted By: Sabot

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 03:23 PM

Had to catch up on sleep this morning, but thinking about going mid day till it starts pouring around 4PM. Worth it in the mid day? Only reason I'm thinking of doing it is the rut.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 06:19 PM

What difference a day makes. Today saw three legal buck and two inside the ears. All were chasing does. Debated on shooting one 9 point but he was a young deer. Looking forward to this evenings sit.

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Sabot
Had to catch up on sleep this morning, but thinking about going mid day till it starts pouring around 4PM. Worth it in the mid day? Only reason I'm thinking of doing it is the rut.

I think it's worth it mid day, we have pics of deer on our camera at noon the other day. Yesterday I saw two bucks and a doe at 1015. When the rut is on and the bucks are chasing I would think anytime of the day is a good day

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/06/16 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Erny
What difference a day makes. Today saw three legal buck and two inside the ears. All were chasing does. Debated on shooting one 9 point but he was a young deer. Looking forward to this evenings sit.

I saw a total of 4 this morning in 3 hours. I went and hand corned with some golden nuggets mixed I. To try and get them over to my side of the fence. I put a bunch out to let them snack on through the week and then I am going to hand corn before each sit.

And before anyone says anything about me hunting the fence line, the land next to me is for sale. Once someone buys it I will move off the fence line.
Posted By: hkmp5s

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/07/16 12:34 AM

Nothing moving in Centerville. Got rained on but I think the deer are waiting until after the election.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/07/16 04:53 AM

It was slow in Montague. I did get a nice 8 point opening morning but was very lucky as he had not been seen in weeks on any of the cams. But the other three guys only saw a spike. No does at all. Acorns everywhere. One buck was spotted chasing a doe though for a few seconds.
Posted By: Emmett

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/07/16 05:54 AM

In Comanche Co. I had 6 bucks to my feeder from yesterday morning to about 0900 this morning. None were 13". Haven't seen a single doe yet, which is strange cause I have mostly doe on the camera.
My nephew dropped a nice 8 point yesterday morning. Going back in a couple days and hopefully put some meat in the freezer.
Good luck and be safe,
Emmett
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/07/16 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I saw plenty of deer for as hot and muggy as it was, just most of the bucks moved very early. Of course I am done with my 13" and over buck in an AR county. So I will see lots of bucks now since I am down to hunting spikes/does(MLD), hogs and coyotes.

Any regrets? Do you wish you'd waited?
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/07/16 12:27 PM

We, wife and I, only hunted Saturday, decided to head out before the storms hit Saturday night, but we saw two eights, two six, three does and three fawns. All in all an enjoyable morning and evening hunt.
Posted By: Woodrow1

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/08/16 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: hkmp5s
Nothing moving in Centerville. Got rained on but I think the deer are waiting until after the election.

I'm in midway.

Open day we seen a lot

Next two days we barely seen anything... sucked.

Now I'm waiting till next weekend
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/09/16 03:11 AM

I passed on a really nice 8 pt Saturday. Only saw 3 deer all day. Hoping to get back out one day this week
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/09/16 03:17 AM

Several young bucks and a lot of doe, no mature bucks, but a great weekend!
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/09/16 03:22 AM

Saw a couple doe and a yearling spike. Hope to be able to get up to Eastland Co. this weekend and hunt, otherwise I'll be back at the lease in Polk Co. The weather should be a little nicer this coming weekend up
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/09/16 06:30 AM

I live in my blind when I hunt,so I got into the blind around 4:30 on the 4th. I killed a big boar hog around 6:15.
Saturday morning all I saw was a small 6pt and a doe with a yearling. The 6pt was chasing them all over the place. Didn't see anything else on Saturday until after dark,then some of my bigger bucks and does were coming out to the wheat field and feeders. No pigs came out while I was still up.

Sunday,I didn't see anything. Nothing but crows and cardinals flying around! One of the other guy's got a 9pt with a broken off brow tine right before dark,it had an 18" spread. I went and helped him clean the buck and hang it in the walk in cooler,and when I returned and was walking back to my blind in the dark,one of my big bucks-a 13pt was standing right by my blind looking at me. I walked within 50 yards of him before he turned around and walked off about 50 yards.He's lucky I'm an honest hunter,I was carrying my hog rifle with night vision and a suppressor on it! I've wanted to shoot this buck for 3 years.

Sunday night and all morning Monday,it RAINED! I waited about an hour after the rain stopped for something to walk out,nothing did. I packed everything up,and came back home. Skunked again!
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/09/16 05:31 PM

Hunted Saturday and Sunday with my son, saw a young doe and a small 6 pt Saturday morning. Nothing Saturday night or Sunday morning, pretty disappointing. Was hoping to put my son on a shooter. Heading out again in 9 days for a few days, good Lord willing we will get him something then.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/09/16 05:38 PM

My son got a deer and i got a hog. I guess you can call me "skunked".
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/09/16 05:43 PM

Saw a 10 but could not get a shot, then saw a 8 and he left for a doe in hot pursuit. saw a 4 pt. later and let him walk...finally took a big doe for the freezer. going back tomorrow.
good luck to all.

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/09/16 07:44 PM

My buddy said its a "mast year" for the oak trees around here. Anybody else hear of that? Every decade or so, the trees dump a ton of acorns to facilitate spreading of seedlings versus getting all eaten up.

According to him, it makes the deer less likely to hit feeders.
Posted By: HuskerB

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/09/16 08:01 PM

Hunted Sat through Mon and saw nothing but does and fawns. We hunt in a county that is buck only with the exception of Thanksgiving weekend so I sure hope the rut picks up to get the boys chasing the females.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/09/16 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: birdman99
My buddy said its a "mast year" for the oak trees around here. Anybody else hear of that? Every decade or so, the trees dump a ton of acorns to facilitate spreading of seedlings versus getting all eaten up.

According to him, it makes the deer less likely to hit feeders.

Not sure about "mast" but there are a ton of acorns on the ground. saw deer and hogs walk by a feeder with corn on the ground. South San Saba county.

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/10/16 01:17 AM

My corn is piling up like crazy. They do stop by and grab a few bites but that eat. Just went out and threw corn on the ground by my tripod in the woods to get ready for my 4 day weekend and pulled my cards and all my deer have gone nocturnal....may continue my skunk
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/10/16 01:27 AM

I was skunked till about 15 minutes into archery season, then it got light enough to see.
Deer hunting is easy in Texas.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/10/16 01:30 AM

I saw a nubbin buck saturday morning, and then a doe with yearling plus the same nubbin buck on saturday evening. Didn't see a thing sunday morning. Hopefully I can get out of working on Friday and have a better weekend this time. No signs of the rut in Archer county, yet.
Posted By: TKM

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/10/16 01:58 AM

Hunt in Oklahoma. Opening weekend of BP I got a nice 8pt, 5 coyotes and a bunch of pond turtles.
Dad got a boar hog in the 350 to 375 lb range. Closing weekend my Dad got a really nice 9pt, I got three more coyotes. Heading back up there for 16 days of rifle season on the 18th.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/10/16 02:21 AM

I did get skunked with respect to does. I hunted the same location all weekend and saw only bachelor groups. Several good bucks in the mix.

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/16/16 02:00 PM

Same here. North Llano, so not far from you.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/16/16 03:49 PM

My boy is 2 up on me now a buck and a doe and my nephew has 2 does. I've still got 1 hog.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Who else is skunked so far? - 11/16/16 04:21 PM

Ive yet to kill a deer. I had a mature buck I could have killed but was too close to 13 to take the chance and had an old mature buck walk through a lane behind me and I didn't see it till it was too late. Multiple chances to kill a doe but haven't yet.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum