Texas Hunting Forum

Your end of season summary

Posted By: Texas Dan

Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 08:30 PM

One of the worst seasons for me and I have myself to blame for it. Simply put, I was lazy this year and limited my hunting to watching a food plot and feeders from the relative comfort of ground blinds. Not once did I climb into a ladder stand to watch a trail or crossing. In fact, I only put up one ladder stand this year but ever hunted from it. I also rode the ATV more and walked less. It should have come as no surprise that the only legal buck I saw all year was yesterday when I made a long walk to hunt a ladder stand that I let my son-in-law borrow from me to use with his feeder.

I did take a cow horn spike about mid season meaning it wasn't a complete strike out.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 08:37 PM

Ok season for me (3.5 hours to go). Took 2 doe. The grass on our place is so tall, all of my hunting was from a 16' tower stand. I kept wanting to head into the brush, but I couldnt shake the feeling that I would be mad if my target buck came into the feeder and ended up on camera while I was elsewhere... Gunna rework some things this off season, cut down some trees/brush in my way, and shred the pastures.

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I kept wanting to head into the brush, but I couldnt shake the feeling that I would be mad if my target buck came into the feeder and ended up on camera while I was elsewhere

The same thinking is why I never hunted anything but food plots and feeders this year. I passed up public land for the first time ever, and spent more after getting on a second lease, all with less to show for it.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 08:43 PM

Not bad for me. First time I went out hunting I got my first mule deer so have a very full freezer and a nice euro mount to show for it. Went hunting for a day over the break in the hill country and put some lead into a pig so not a bad season considering I only hunted 4 or 5 times.
Posted By: coachwhite34

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 08:53 PM

Hunted once over Thanksgiving and saw three doe at the feeder but they were behind trees and had no shot. Hunted twice over Christmas break and shot 3 doe. Never saw a buck. My dad and grandad did but i never saw one. Then place I hunt is in Menard, about 100 acres so chances at a large trophy are slim. Axis have been seen and i hoped shoot one but hasn't happened yet.
Posted By: Fat Tire

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 08:54 PM

I'm pleased with this season. I got my buck early and that took the pressure off. Shot a nice doe a couple of weeks ago and will take another before it's over. We still have 2 more weeks in Erath County.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 09:33 PM

My season came down to one missed shot on a 130" class buck just before Thanksgiving. Other than that, deer sightings were very slim. Did bust one coyote earlier this week.
Posted By: huntincoach

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 09:49 PM

Didn't get out as much as I'd liked. Did take a near 2' wide nine in early Nov. Have only fired one shot all season.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 11:26 PM

Wort season that I have ever hunted, rains and flooding kept me out of my hunting area for most of the season. I finally got to hunt for 3 days this weekend and saw a total of 3 doe. The first and only 3 deer that I saw all season. I am glad that deer season has ended and am looking forward to spring turkey season. SO, BRING IT!!!!!!
Posted By: Davezerg

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 11:28 PM

So far I've got 1 coyote.. Lol. My little brother in law got a doe in November though. But we used all the meat for tamales.. Hoping I can at least get a doe if nothing else..

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Booner1
...rains and flooding kept me out of my hunting area for most of the season.

One of my ground blinds now has two high water marks on it, the highest being about 18 inches up the sides. And this was definitely one of those rare seasons when food plots suffered from too much rain.

Posted By: Erny

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 11:34 PM

It was a tough season in North East Texas. Plenty of food and still have not had a freeze. Managed to get a good buck the second week of November. The deer have just in the last week started hitting corn. Still got a couple more weeks to muzzleloader hunt. I am ok for meat this year. Got several other animals including a nice Barbary sheep with Mulie Mike and a moose in Canada.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/03/16 11:51 PM

Killed two nice 10s, a cull 3 point, a few hogs, some coons, and a handful of dove this season.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 12:00 AM

This season was definitely a mixed bag. I finally got on a lease after sitting out for two years. It was pretty intense getting things set up because I got on it so late. The hunting was enjoyable and fun. So far I've taken a nine point, spike, turkey and hog. Plus I finally found a camera that will take pics at quite a distance which makes things a lot more enjoyable too. I'm looking forward to the next couple of weekends to doe hunt. The downside is that I have to find another lease.

P.S. If any of you guys have an opening this coming year I'm definitely interested.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 12:04 AM

Was able to get a cull buck and a 8 pointer early, then saw 2 better bucks that I could not shoot. Took 3 pigs and zero does.....maybe I can get a doe in the next couple of weeks. Saw very few doe this year which is the same as last year but we had more young bucks that looked real good.
Posted By: GimmeABuck

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 12:18 AM

Interesting to see how everyone's season turned out. All in all, it was a very meager season for the family hunting at our new small acreage, but not so much for me laugh I got the buck pictured below on Thanksgiving- by far the nicest animal I've taken. Other than that the niece got a doe and the deer basically disappeared around late October.

Going to do a lot of clearing during this off season!
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 12:41 AM

I shot a doe at my lease in Archer county the weekend before Christmas. I saw very few deer, only 1 buck - a 4.5 year old 9 pointer that I passed on. I wish I would have taken the shot now, but it was first season on the lease and I had better deer on camera so I wanted to see if I could do better. I shot a cull 8 point at my parent's house in Hays county this past Thursday.

Looking forward to doe/spike season and then I'll be going to my Dad's mld lease in west Texas in late January. He hasn't taken his trophy buck yet, so maybe I can get a nice buck.

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: wilhunt
Was able to get a cull buck and a 8 pointer early, then saw 2 better bucks that I could not shoot.

Funny how it always seems to work that way. And of course, you would swear that if you had not taken the lesser buck, you would have never seen the others.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 01:32 AM

My season was pretty rough as far as deer are concerned

Didn't take a deer at all.

Fiancé and the kids took a few does and a cull buck

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: wilhunt
Was able to get a cull buck and a 8 pointer early, then saw 2 better bucks that I could not shoot.

Funny how it always seems to work that way. And of course, you would swear that if you had not taken the lesser buck, you would have never seen the others.

Yes sir.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 02:45 AM

Worst I've had just from an opportunity standpoint. Missed our dove hunt, missed our goose hunts (didn't miss much but sitting in a hotel waiting for roads to open) and only had 3 weekends, 2 with flooding to make something happen.

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: rattler03
I shot a doe at my lease in Archer county the weekend before Christmas. I saw very few deer, only 1 buck - a 4.5 year old 9 pointer that I passed on. I wish I would have taken the shot now, but it was first season on the lease and I had better deer on camera so I wanted to see if I could do better. I shot a cull 8 point at my parent's house in Hays county this past Thursday.

Looking forward to doe/spike season and then I'll be going to my Dad's mld lease in west Texas in late January. He hasn't taken his trophy buck yet, so maybe I can get a nice buck.

Should have shot the 9. I know its hard but my grandad always told me to shoot because if you do t you will regret it.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 02:51 AM

Fired 2 shots, killed 2 deer. Good season.
Posted By: Dadsaid

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 02:54 AM

Paid my money, had my feeders going. Didn't even make to the lease..

There's always next year.
Posted By: PSE-Madman

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:10 AM

One doe, a 120" 9 pt, 144" 10 pt with my bow. Six pigs with the rifle and two spring gobblers with the 12 ga. Now we are pounding ducks. Not to mention the somewhat epic fishing this spring offered. I'd say 2015 will go down in my memory as the best ever. Worked harder and put more time in than ever. Persistence pays off.
Posted By: corkys son

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:15 AM

Too hot and dry in October, too wet in November and December. Did take two does, but overall a very disappointing season as far as bucks. Should have hunted more from climbers before it got wet.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Dadsaid
Paid my money, had my feeders going. Didn't even make to the lease..

There's always next year.

How is that even possible?
Posted By: GPS

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:33 AM

This season was a carry over of last season. Extremely Poor. Had 10,000 trail cam pics of deer and several big bucks. All 10,000 pictures were taken between the hours of 8PM and 4 AM, 0 pictures of deer during daylight hours. I saw 1 buck during the rut for about 10 seconds and I couldn't tell if he was a legal buck.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:43 AM

good just to fast.. Just like last year.. And just like next year will be
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:55 AM

Good season for us, unfortunately not many of the right age class for the next couple years. Probably the best fawn crop I've ever seen though.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:58 AM

On MLD so got a little more time. but its been a wet sloppy season so far. Took a doe this evening. Shot a few pigs that disappeared into some nasty brush that I didn't chase them into.

Going to spend some time chasing a buck now. Passed on a 8 and 10 point that I thought needed another year. We'll see what shows up in the next few weeks.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 04:21 AM

Had a lot of enjoyable hunts, hardly saw any deer(2) all season other than a doe hunt I bought the wife we saw quite a few. She shot a doe and was thrilled about getting her first deer. I wasn't lucky enough this year but it is hunting. Looking forward to November 2016
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 04:40 AM

Got to shoot a doe and little 10 point with my 9 yr old so this year in review was good. Lots of mud on the truck but well worth it. Will try for one more doe in the 2nd season. Had my normal bad luck early so it felt good to put a couple down.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 04:52 AM

I got a nice buck at my lease for my first bow kill and saw a ton of deer, a few that will be shooters next year....at my own property, I don't want to talk about it, again.
Posted By: don k

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 01:16 PM

Been good. Shot a spike and a doe. Still need one more doe in the next couple of weeks. Seen a lot of bucks. Probably more than Does. Very few Axis. They are staying close to the river and have not make it up here yet. Have 6 Turkey Gobblers hanging around all year. Inherited a White Fallow doe from someplace.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 02:42 PM

My Cuzs place in Llano was best year in the 23yrs he's had the place. They took 2 older bucks that hit high 30s and have a bunch of young 10s they let walk. Also have more deer overall than ever before. The future is bright.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:01 PM

Our fat lady hasn't quite tuned up yet.
Posted By: Apretz

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:02 PM

Overall season was below average. Our herd has a big age gap, 4 and 5 yo are basically non existant. So '16 and '17 look to be slow as well but we are loaded with many good looking 2yo and a few 3yo that will be exciting to watch grow. This season mostly consisted of going after old bucks. The only buck I have to look forward to for next season is this buck that injured his main beam in velvet which is the only reason he made it through the season.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:09 PM

I have yet to pull the trigger, but we've had guests take out some does, a spike and some pigs, and we've had family members take out one cull and one really nice mature trophy buck. I'm headed back to the ranch Thursday - Monday and plan to hunt hard.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:26 PM

Plenty of pigs, and got my biggest buck to date; a beautiful 10 that scored 151 and some change.

Havent taken any does, but plan on taking my brother in law up this wknd to connect with one.

For my dad and the other folks on the lease, it has been relatively slow. Have a lot of pictures of bucks with quite a bit of potential though. Cant wait to see how they turn out next year.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:31 PM

Definitely not anything to write home about. Took a little cull buck 9 around thanksgiving and a big fat doe this weekend. It is what it is, at least there is some meat in the freezer!

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET

Havent taken any does, but plan on taking my brother in law up this wknd to connect with one.

roflmao
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 04:10 PM

Overall not much to write about. Saw 2 good bucks total and no shot chance on them. Saw 5 does total 2 the first morning I hunted during bow season and 3 after legal shooting time Christmas afternoon. Rest of the sightings were small young bucks. Only had pics of 2 legal bucks this season. Expected it to be a tough season this year with the drought of the last few years then the rains of this year. Places North and South had acorns but think the Tornado that got the landowners house took the osk blooms out never saw an acorn on the lease this year.
Lots of tracks passing through the little place and in food plots one of which was grazed to the ground but hunting over them saw nothing, the next morning tracks everywhere.

Did shoot a large boar hog that had cuts from fighting other hogs the last afternoon hunted. Started to field dress him and with 0 fat, the cuts and smell decided the Coyotes needed something to eat too.

Anyone got a good recipe for TAG Soup?
Posted By: huntingdomer

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 04:12 PM

We had a great season. My 16 old son shot a spike on opening weekend in Red River County. I shot a spike in Webb County right before Christmas. Then my 18 old son shot a nice 9 point buck in Val Verde County and I too shot a 9 point buck in Val Verde County, both right before Christmas. So 4 deer this season, one better than last season. It's all good!
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 06:44 PM

My daughter and I are on a San Saba lease. We each shot a WT Buck (10 and 8 pt), and 16 pigs between us. We were targeting 3 bucks but saw only one and we didn't get a shot. We passed on several nice 7 and 8 pointers that will be even better next year. We decided to pass on does this season.

We also took Axis. We saw many turkey but we decided to a wait until spring for them.

We caught many black bass from our pond. Now we'll try for Ducks that hang around our 7 ponds.

Overall a great year at San Saba especially compared to the Eastland lease we were on last year.
Posted By: Jhunt

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 07:33 PM

A 3 month long exercise in Murphy's law. Polaris Ranger spent 5 weeks at Forney dealer, who failed to fix it. Missed bow season! Gun season 22 inches of rain took out 6 game cameras (some were mounted as high as 8 feet) and brand new box blind. Deer all but disappeared after that. Too much rain and heavy acorn crop heavily effected their usual travel patterns. Plus new neighboring hunters spent a lot of time running 4 wheelers near fenceline,blasting away at ducks early and late and must have shot a lot of hogs. No way all their shots were for deer, unless we have another whole new problem. Hopefully, things will be better with trying for some hogs in the next few weeks and getting things ready for next season.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 09:43 PM

Complete failure:

Spent a lot of time before season clearing some Henderson County brush, fixing blinds, a lot of prep.

Then comes the rain, flooded us out more than one day. We have a four day doe season, rained and flooded everyday.

Extremely warm, was fighting hornets up to yesterday afternoon. Saw small bucks, not legal. Planning on feeding year around and working in some food plots. If that don't work, will find another lease.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/04/16 11:31 PM

I'll let you know at the end of February when our season ends. banana

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/05/16 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
Extremely warm, was fighting hornets up to yesterday afternoon.

Can't remember a season when I ran the A/C in my trailer as much as I did this year.
Posted By: Steven Bates

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/06/16 06:02 PM

Fellas, consider yourselves blessed to hunt in a state that can be as good as Texas. Here in South Arkansas I hunted from October (bow) to Jan 3 (gun and bow) and NEVER saw a legal buck. Granted it's the first season in a long time that it's happened but it sucked of epic proportions. I'm trying hard to get another Texas trip together for next year.
I managed two does during rifle season but even my doe sightings were down this year... (I will admit that I got out of a lease that is still doing well and hunted a bunch of smaller tracts of land that didn't produce quite like I hoped.)
So a bad year in Texas is still better than most if you hunt South Arkansas.... just sayin.....

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/06/16 06:09 PM

We always try to get at least one mature buck a year. Brother got it done last Saturday. We have a few more to hunt and I think the does are about to get scared. We have only shot 2 deer so far this year and we need some meat for sausage etc. and have more than plenty does to take... if they cooperate.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/12/16 06:56 PM

I count this year as successful. Shot a nice 9 on opening weekend of rifle season, joined my buddy on a trip to his family property a few weeks later and shot a nice 8. Thanksgiving weekend my wife shot a doe, her first kill since she was 8 years old. We killed roughly 16-18 hogs (I lost count) and made a lot of sausage grin so I can't complain too much about this year. I didn't see a single mature buck at the house, which was a bummer. After last years group that I watched all year, I just knew this year would be epic. But the flooding must have forced them to relocate, all I saw were 2.5 year old bucks. Several were legal, but I was after a mature buck and let the youngsters walk. Hope they made it past the other landowners scattered up and down the creek up
Posted By: Fheiden

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/12/16 07:15 PM

Season was pretty good for my grandson and I, each of us got 2 bucks and I added 2 turkey, we saw more deer and turkey this year on our lease than we have seen in the last couple of years in Sutton county (Sonora).
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/12/16 07:15 PM

Another great season for us!
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/12/16 08:40 PM

its not over for me until Sunday night so we will see.....
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/12/16 09:33 PM

My wife and I both got very nice 10 pointers. We had a great season. Now we are starting to get ready for next year.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/12/16 09:41 PM

Still have until Sunday but got my 2nd 3 deer season. My first doe and buck with my bow buck was 10 point and my first buck with my muzzleloader in Missouri it was also a 10 point
Posted By: wfhunter

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/12/16 10:13 PM

I will have to say that I will not forget 2015 breaking 3 personal best. Started in February tearing up Stripers and Blues taking the best striper I have ever taken at 15 lbs and the biggest Blue at 62 lbs. Tons of eater fish along the way until the floods hit. Spring turkey was great calling in a lot of nice toms for friends and also taking a good one myself. Our dove and duck season has been the pits, but for deer we have had a great year with several good bucks killed. I hit another personal best with a 164" 11pt. We see tons of deer and passed many nice bucks. After passing many bucks this was the first buck I have taken in 10 years. Always take does for meat same this year. Got rid of 4 pigs along the way. We did not see as many pigs this year which is a good thing, but they do make good target practice. We will wrap up deer this weekend, finish our duck season, and start fishing for trophy blues in February along with a pheasant shoot.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/12/16 11:15 PM

There's a reason we call it hunting not killing. I did a lot of hunting this year. Hunted all but two weekends since bow opener. All but one weekend I was bowhunting. I took one doe during bow season. Saw a lot lower number of does on our lease this year. Saw what would have been my personal best buck at 18 yards this year but me and the lease manager disagreed about this deers age so he got the pass. First season in along time that the freezer is empty. Maybe one of the few elusive red deer will show up this weekend if I make it out for one last try.
Posted By: Curly

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/12/16 11:17 PM

Sucked
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/12/16 11:57 PM

Drought from 2010 and 2011 finally caught up. Hasn't been a bad year had lots of fun hunting, still got this weekend and it will be wrap
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/13/16 12:08 AM

Between son and myself we have 4 does in the freezer. Not a single buck was killed behind the house or in the panhandle. Saw a few good deer but just nothing we wanted. Daughter and SIL both got good bucks on their lease in Clay Cty.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/13/16 01:01 AM

Our best in last 8 years. We took a 196, 194, 189, 172, and 160 so far. End season this Sunday
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/13/16 03:25 AM

It was slow in Montague county. Only one buck for 6 hunters (only 5 deer hunt) this year on our place. They were not hitting feeders at all. I took a doe last weekend finally and a weird spike was taken opening weekend. I saw lots of deer and some very mature doe but bucks were young. Buddy up the road in same county at a very high dollar place ($4K+ each) had a bad year on the bucks.

Down S. Tex we had a great year. Saw lots of big deer and I took a couple spikes and doe so freezer is very full.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/13/16 03:39 AM

2015 was awesome, whitetail season was no different.
We shot 6 whitetail, 5 were bucks; two are shoulder mounts and three are Euros, and one doe.
It is usually 5 does and 1 buck, but it was a year that finally flipped in our favor.
Off season was good too with three black buck, four axis, and 67 pigs.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/13/16 01:01 PM

Small acreage fence hunters continue to snipe deer. They have old coastal pastures with feeders immediately on my fence and multiple hunters, an endless supply of willing family & friends, killing any legal deer.

On Monday after close found this 2 1/2 year old 9 pt in wildlife slew (flooded old gravel pit). This 12" (illegal) deer had probably been gut shot on Christmas weekend.

Found this heavy 8 pt, also a 2 1/2 year old, 15 yards inside my fence at a point that a feeder is only 15 yards from my fence. Would have been killed on final evening.

Getting estimates now for high fencing my entire west side and will go from there. They can hunt the deer that inhabit their own abandoned coastal field.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/14/16 09:53 AM

I also had this problem...until they finally killed so many they didn't see any deer and some moved on to greener pastures. I also thought of high fencing their side...was told the it would not stop the deer from traveling around the fence to their property..I dont know what would happen but I think it will help a lot to fence off that side.
Posted By: Savage388

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/14/16 07:06 PM

Well, my season was the worst in remembrance.

Early last spring, the lease just south of my property (I hunt on 89 acres where I live) was clear cut. I mean barren, not a twig was left standing. I had hope that a mild wet summer would really encourage a bumper crop of weeds and brush to help make some cover. It didn't. My place is about 70/30 woods/pasture. I had hopes that the deer that stayed on the lease to my south would began to utilize my woods even more. Well, evidently the warm weather and bumper mast crop kept the deer from coming out in the day light.

I sat morning and evening for three days of opening week before I even saw a deer. It was a lone buck, small and not legal, on the far side of the field. He came out right at dark. I saw a spike the next day, which embarrassingly, I missed.

Friday the 13th, I saw a lone young doe come out about 11 in the morning. I watched her in anticipation of a buck being nearby. Well she grazed contently until she began to wonder out of sight. Having seen two deer in two weeks hunting everyday, I chose to shoot her. I did, she fell and two other does ran onto the field, I shot one of those too.

I continued to hunt everyday, not seeing anything. It almost became comical, with my wife saying "What was nothing doing today?" as I came home from each hunt.

My son Cash was born on the 24th so I took a week off from hunting to help Heather out.

Since I was off from work on maternity leave, I hunted hard starting the second week of December. Still seeing nothing, I mean nothing. If I saw a squirrel, I considered it a success. I put in many hours, morning and evening.

Well I didn't see another deer until the 28th of December, five does in the far end of the pasture. Those were the last deer I would see this season.

I hope, if I'm still here next year, to get a feeder up early and try to get a deer in archery season. It seemed slow through out East Texas. Warm weather and plenty to eat will keep the deer from moving around too much for sure.
Posted By: Bar M Ranch

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/14/16 07:40 PM

Great season. Got on a new lease and sure nuff like it. Took a 11 point that I'm getting a shoulder mount and got a nice doe. Saw a lottttttt of deer. Made some new friends and look forward to next season. Good hunting.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/14/16 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Savage388
My son Cash was born on the 24th so I took a week off from hunting to help Heather out.

Congratulations to both you and your wife on the birth of your new hunting partner!
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/14/16 08:46 PM

I finished up my whitetail season Monday morning. Sunday was one of the most perfect hunting weather days I have ever experienced in South Texas. I wound up hunting from a tripod over a 200 acre coastal pasture and 10 acre foot plot. I was pretty satisfied just watching deer and guiding some good friends of mine on a cull and some does, but on that last beautiful evening a true giant made his way to the coastal field. He was 700-800 yards away, so I attempted a very long stalk. Amazingly I was able to close to within 150 yards at last shooting light. I quickly confirmed that he was as big as I thought he was and moved to the prone position for a shot...only to watch my shot hit a mound of sand just past him and erupt in a cloud of dust and see the buck run away seemingly untouched. I knew I'd rushed the shot and missed low. It was very calm and the dust cloud lingered long enough for me to clearly mark the spot where he was standing. After picking up my buddies and celebrating another buck kill (a career best for my good buddy from Atlanta), we searched long and hard to ensure there was no hit. The next morning we searched again and found no blood or other sign. However, I did spot a group of buzzards about half a mile away in a dry creek bed. As we got closer I could see that they were on a carcass. For a moment I thought maybe I hit him after all, but quickly discovered it was an 8 pointer I had never seen. It looked like a fresh kill and a buck that might have been targeted as a cull, so I called a few neighbors and quickly found the rightful shooter. Glad I could at least make someone's day.

I'll reply with a pick of my buddy's management 8 pointer and a pick of the 8 we found dead.

Edited to add pics:

Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/14/16 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Overall not much to write about. Saw 2 good bucks total and no shot chance on them. Saw 5 does total 2 the first morning I hunted during bow season and 3 after legal shooting time Christmas afternoon. Rest of the sightings were small young bucks. Only had pics of 2 legal bucks this season. Expected it to be a tough season this year with the drought of the last few years then the rains of this year. Places North and South had acorns but think the Tornado that got the landowners house took the osk blooms out never saw an acorn on the lease this year.
Lots of tracks passing through the little place and in food plots one of which was grazed to the ground but hunting over them saw nothing, the next morning tracks everywhere.

Did shoot a large boar hog that had cuts from fighting other hogs the last afternoon hunted. Started to field dress him and with 0 fat, the cuts and smell decided the Coyotes needed something to eat too.

Anyone got a good recipe for TAG Soup?

You have to think Positive Sir...

You got a good Oil Change on one Hunt bang

Did that fix hold up okay up
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/14/16 10:18 PM

Button buck and small 8 point with my bow in November.
2 axis doe and a fox in August; stalked and one with 30-30 open sight.
Teal in early season.
Texas Ibex and rabbit in May.

Got a mule doe/aoudad hunt at Palo Duro Canyon SP this weekend. So hopefully a mule doe and 1+aoudad.
Conservation season geese in Spring Break 2016.
Exotics in April/March 2016.
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/14/16 10:49 PM

Nice 8 point, decent doe, and 2 pigs. Freezer is full
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/14/16 10:50 PM

Doe with the bow and 18" cull 8 point on the new lease.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/14/16 10:59 PM

I shot a nice bobcat opening weekend, a management 7 point that made AR easily, and my son shot 2 doe. Last weekend I shot a rabbit at night with my Glock G40 in 10mm, and was bored in the stand and shot a crow at 245 yards with the 300 blk out (1.4 mils elevation and about .2-.3 wind hold).
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/15/16 01:06 AM

I still got a couple great deer hunts to do on some MLD props in the next month.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/15/16 01:11 AM

Fat lady don't sing until Sunday
Posted By: krod777

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/15/16 01:42 AM

One 10 and one 8 for my lease buddy on 2nd and 4th day of gun.. Also 1 longbeard in December. 2nd 10 to go on the wall so its been successful!!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/15/16 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
I finished up my whitetail season Monday morning. Sunday was one of the most perfect hunting weather days I have ever experienced in South Texas. I wound up hunting from a tripod over a 200 acre coastal pasture and 10 acre foot plot. I was pretty satisfied just watching deer and guiding some good friends of mine on a cull and some does, but on that last beautiful evening a true giant made his way to the coastal field. He was 700-800 yards away, so I attempted a very long stalk. Amazingly I was able to close to within 150 yards at last shooting light. I quickly confirmed that he was as big as I thought he was and moved to the prone position for a shot...only to watch my shot hit a mound of sand just past him and erupt in a cloud of dust and see the buck run away seemingly untouched. I knew I'd rushed the shot and missed low. It was very calm and the dust cloud lingered long enough for me to clearly mark the spot where he was standing. After picking up my buddies and celebrating another buck kill (a career best for my good buddy from Atlanta), we searched long and hard to ensure there was no hit. The next morning we searched again and found no blood or other sign. However, I did spot a group of buzzards about half a mile away in a dry creek bed. As we got closer I could see that they were on a carcass. For a moment I thought maybe I hit him after all, but quickly discovered it was an 8 pointer I had never seen. It looked like a fresh kill and a buck that might have been targeted as a cull, so I called a few neighbors and quickly found the rightful shooter. Glad I could at least make someone's day.

I'll reply with a pick of my buddy's management 8 pointer and a pick of the 8 we found dead.

Edited to add pics:

Awesome story and good follow up. Thanks for posting the story and reality of what really happens when people think they miss deer. I shot a big hog last week with no signs of being shot. We found it the next day 10 yards from where I stopped looking. If it was a big deer I would have been very upset at myself.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/15/16 04:51 PM

New place. Hasn't been hunted in a few years, so does and culls are bit out of hand, but we are working on that. Add the out of wack ratios with the abundant rainfall, and it's been a slow year, but I am overall happy and excited about what's to come.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/15/16 05:35 PM

We've killed 7 bucks, all culls, and 27 does so far. Have 3 more culls, 5 spikes and 12 more does to kill. Three of the culls we shot last week, with the largest being a 158 4/8 8+ year old buck that was in the 130's last year. What made that so great is a nine year old boy killed him. We're MLD III so we've got until the end of February.

My wife killed a 176 7/8, 170 4/8 net typical 10 point last week but it was on a friend's 5,000 acre high-fenced ranch, so can't book (not that I care).

Excited about the next several years as we have some very nice up-and-comers in all age classes.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/18/16 02:16 PM

Hoover!

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/18/16 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
We've killed 7 bucks, all culls, and 27 does so far. Have 3 more culls, 5 spikes and 12 more does to kill. Three of the culls we shot last week, with the largest being a 158 4/8 8+ year old buck that was in the 130's last year. What made that so great is a nine year old boy killed him. We're MLD III so we've got until the end of February.

My wife killed a 176 7/8, 170 4/8 net typical 10 point last week but it was on a friend's 5,000 acre high-fenced ranch, so can't book (not that I care).

Excited about the next several years as we have some very nice up-and-comers in all age classes.

Very nice!

I ended up wiping out 5 Doe and that was it. No bucks for me. All my hunting is done on invites for doe hunts or my granddad's little 100 acre place that doesn't have too many bucks. A few Axis on occasion. I am seriously considering getting on a big lease and getting my chance at a big one some day but got to make the funds work out and that is going to be the tough part. Kids are expensive!!!
Posted By: Hunter3007

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/18/16 10:14 PM

Only one taken from my lease webb co 2600 acres i was hunting for a 14 point but never showed up only in cam pics this one was a surprise never saw him on cam
Posted By: Greytshot

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/25/16 03:15 AM

It was the most fun I've had hunting, as it was the first year I didn't work overseas and miss the majority of the season working since I owned my own property. I went to S Texas dang near every weekend. I killed one spike off my low fence 100ac. Killed a bunch of dove and quail too. Just enjoyed being out side the most of all.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/25/16 02:49 PM

"I killed one spike off my low fence 100ac. Killed a bunch of dove and quail too. Just enjoyed being out side the most of all."

This is the type of guy I enjoy being around. One who enjoys the hunt more than the size of the kill.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/27/16 09:32 PM

We're good! Saw bunch of deer, nice bucks but young & bunch of doe. I put 1 big old spike and the wife got 1 big doe in the freezer.....It's full and we're happy. cheerleader
Posted By: allterrain

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/31/16 04:47 PM

Had a very fun hunting season. The land was plentifull this year and looks bright for next year as well with all the rain from 2014 and 15. I bowhunted most every hunt with exception to a few hunts when the wind was out of favor.My son took a 5.5 year old 8 and a good hog with his rifle and a turkey with his bow. I took 3 pigs with my bow, 1 turkey with my bow, 1 pig with my rifle and took a wide 6.5 year old 8 the day after Christmas with my rifle

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/31/16 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter3007

Only one taken from my lease webb co 2600 acres i was hunting for a 14 point but never showed up only in cam pics this one was a surprise never saw him on cam

Dang good looking buck! Get the 14 next year.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Your end of season summary - 01/31/16 10:30 PM

Good, changed leases this year so everything got moved in late March. Didn't have a buck on camera till September, so I was getting worried. Had a buck I was after, wasn't huge, but has character, so I passed a larger buck up. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.
Ended wit a spike and doe and lots of new memories
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/01/16 06:54 PM

Not a bad year. 2 does and a javelina with a crossbow one 9pt with a compound bow and a really nice 8pt with a .270 with plenty of hogs, doves and quail to add to the freezer. Now the fishing starts until I decide to disc up the oat field.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/02/16 04:36 AM

Kansas doe, Texas filled my tags with 2 mature cull bucks and 3 does. The problem I had was I did not want to, tag out early so I passed on 9 mature bucks with better antlers during the rut.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/02/16 03:23 PM

Pretty good season. 6 deer and 8 pigs. One of the deer was a 7.5yo 9-pt buck. Full freezer and some great memories.

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/02/16 03:43 PM

We shot a spike, big 9pt, cull 6pt and 3 or 4 does. Was a great year and meat waiting on sausage making time.
Posted By: udamdan

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/06/16 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
One of the worst seasons for me and I have myself to blame for it. Simply put, I was lazy this year and limited my hunting to watching a food plot and feeders from the relative comfort of ground blinds. Not once did I climb into a ladder stand to watch a trail or crossing. In fact, I only put up one ladder stand this year but ever hunted from it. I also rode the ATV more and walked less. It should have come as no surprise that the only legal buck I saw all year was yesterday when I made a long walk to hunt a ladder stand that I let my son-in-law borrow from me to use with his feeder.

I did take a cow horn spike about mid season meaning it wasn't a complete strike out.

Best Season Ever for me , my buddy & I both got 10 pointers on the same morning !
Posted By: jaymz

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/06/16 02:40 AM

I had a great season. A nice 10 point, quite a few pigs, a turkey hen, ducks, dove... what more can I ask for?

Posted By: A.B.

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/06/16 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: jaymz
I had a great season. A nice 10 point, quite a few pigs, a turkey hen, ducks, dove... what more can I ask for?

Well done!
Posted By: jaymz

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/06/16 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: A.B.
Well done!

Thanks bud! smile
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/15/16 02:52 AM

I managed to corral one at the Broken Spoke one night. Another one at Christmas party. I let a 29 year old walk after she proved to be too young.

Oh wait, you're talking about deer hunting. Never mind.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/15/16 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I managed to corral one at the Broken Spoke one night. Another one at Christmas party. I let a 29 year old walk after she proved to be too young.

Did you cuff the one at the Broken Spoke? grin

Glad to see you back posting LP cheers

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/15/16 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

No sir, she went willingly. No need to cuff her. Good to get a little time to post. New job assignment keeps me running.
Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/16/16 04:18 PM

Buddy of mine since high school bought 925 acres in Kinney County this last summer. His focus this year was to take out nothing but cull bucks. I went in November and got a cull 6 with short tines. Then the last weekend of the season he and I took our wives out there (no cuffs needed!) and I got another 6 with no brow tines. Between family and friends, the property yielded 15 cull bucks total and he still has a heavy density of deer since there is a big creek that runs the length of the whole place. One of the bucks my buddy shot was that "medusa" buck I posted about several weeks back. I am real lucky in that I really don't have to worry about not having a good place to hunt any more. I told him I have no need for horns since you can't eat them, so I am his "cull man" be it cull bucks, spikes, or does! Also, the season spoiled me because of the nice blinds, and I have never known a camp that has both running water and electricity as well as a nice place to stay (with a shower, a real bed, etc.)!

In addition, a friend at work has a permanent hog trap in place at a friend's ranch. I get a call now and then to help them and get a share in the process. Got 2 hogs back in November and 3 perfect 90 pounders a couple of weeks ago. So needless to say, the freezer is pretty full.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/16/16 05:14 PM

(1) Axis buck
(6) WT Doe
(2) Grey Fox

Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/16/16 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
(1) Axis buck
(6) WT Doe
(2) Grey Fox

up

I have a few Exotics this spring and done Javis and I'm READY banana
Posted By: tlk

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/17/16 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

No sir, she went willingly. No need to cuff her. Good to get a little time to post. New job assignment keeps me running.

cull or trophy?

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/21/16 04:37 AM

Not a trophy but not a cull either. I guess we'll go with management...Decent and respectable, but not a wall hanger.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Your end of season summary - 02/22/16 03:02 PM

Pulled the trigger twice this year, two DRT's. Buck was my biggest, couldn't wait to get him home to show dad. He sized it up, took a picture. It was the last deer he ever touched. Here is the picture he took.

It will be my greatest trophy until Ryan gets his first, then Trenton.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum