Texas Hunting Forum

Eastland, Tx

Posted By: fonzie

Eastland, Tx - 12/15/15 03:13 PM

Anyone here hunt in eastland? Just got word on some openings on a lease I may be considering... Heard there's audad on this place.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/15/15 05:48 PM

I hunt Eastland. I've never seen nor heard of free-range Audad in Eastland county.
What area is this lease located?
Posted By: Western

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/15/15 06:12 PM

Eastland has been hunted hard for eons, being so close to the metro mess, it will sure depend on the property (and surrounding land) and how it has been managed over the years.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/15/15 06:31 PM

I hunt Eastland, and I've been disappointed this year. Neighbors are doing well, but they've got significantly larger tracts than we do.

Oh, and never heard of Audad, unless someone's high fence got taken out by a tree.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/15/15 06:46 PM

Never heard of or seen audad out there. I did see 3 black buck doe by the lake Leon dam. I figured they escaped from la mancha
Posted By: Bmnloader

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/15/15 07:09 PM

I've been hunting in Eastland for 15 years. Never see or heard about any Audad.
Posted By: Tye

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/16/15 12:22 AM

Been in eastland cty since 1989. Never heard of loose Aoudad. There are some near the 7R Ranch near Gordon
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/16/15 12:37 AM

Hunted there in 2009-2010, I killed a Kangaroo, so anything can happen. I was disappointed in the deer hunting tho
Posted By: TAT

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/16/15 12:38 AM

Had an audad on camera in Putnam. Callahan county last year
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/16/15 12:40 AM

I am in Eastland

there is an aoudad on the lease, mountain lion, axis deer

several years ago an elk was spotted along with some antelopes;
those probably escaped from Cook Canyon Ranch

btw, aoudads have been spotted in Palo Pinto , that's just
north and east of Eastland. They roam so there may be more

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/16/15 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Hunted there in 2009-2010, I killed a Kangaroo, so anything can happen. I was disappointed in the deer hunting tho
worthless
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/16/15 05:21 PM

Hunt in Eastland, never seen anything you guys are talking about. But it might be nice if I do.
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/16/15 07:58 PM

Hunt in ranger just east of eastland. Only thing different I seen was a black buck around christmas last year.
Posted By: deerslayer78

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/22/15 09:47 AM

Are there any lease openings in Eastland County? I am needing a lease fellas. If you know of anything please please please PM me.

Also I hunted Eastland one season and have never heard of any Auodad out there unless they have been brought in.
Posted By: cobryan

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/23/15 01:55 PM

cabosandinh There are no Elk on Cook Canyon Ranch. They just brought in Exotics this year and are in an internal High Fence. So there would be no way that they came from there.

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/23/15 04:28 PM

Jay novaceck(sp) had elk on his place down the road from Cook Canyon Ranch. I think some got out, but that was a long time ago
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/23/15 09:28 PM

We hunt between Eastland and Ranger. There are a few HF ranches in our immediate area and had an elk on our property a couple of years ago and there is an axis doe on it this year. Never seen an aoudad though.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/23/15 09:43 PM

There were some elk in southern Young county but believe they have been killed off.They escaped from a HF a few years ago.There are a quite a few red deer in young county s north of PK lake that are free range, have good friend that sees them on his place quite regularly. South side of PK lake The SET ranch has a lot of Auodads on it and has for 20 years, have seen them while fishing up in caddo creek.
Posted By: bgcntry1018

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/23/15 10:38 PM

I hunt just north of Eastland. We have seen good bucks on camera but mostly in non-shooting hours. Haven't ran across any free range exotics. Lots of turkey, coyotes and bobcats though.
Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Eastland, Tx - 12/23/15 10:45 PM

There is a lot of pressure here.....A LOT! It depends on many variables as to if a piece of property will produce. There have been some good deer taken around here but there have also been several years where hunters "didn't see thing all year". Do your homework. I'd hate for you to spend big money, time and grief over a poor lease. Eastland county is an Antler Restriction county.

I got in a small place this year and deer emptied my feeder in 5 weeks. It has several good deer that would be a good deer for most of us on here. It's different from our family place. Our family place has been over hunted (but that's another story) and it is somewhat rare to even SEE a deer during a sit. These places are within a mile as a crow flies of that gives you an idea of how properties can vary.

As far as exotics, the Wilks have several places (mostly south and west of Cisco off 183/206). If it's a high fence out that direction, chances are it's a Wills property.....they also have paved, concrete driveways. Cook Canyon has a large spread southeast of Ranger but like said above, only recently brought on exotics and he runs a tight ship - fences and fence lines are well-groomed. The old Fambro place between Tudor Road and Hwy 16 had a few exotics years ago that went unaccounted for but never included audad. Hwy 6 south out of Eastland has a few high fence properties but mainly have Blackbuck, Axis and a few Fallow. aeb is up in Moran, you might see if he has anything from up that way.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum