Texas Hunting Forum

post rut Mills county

Posted By: Ajpp

post rut Mills county - 12/10/15 02:06 AM

My place is located off 183 directly between goldthwaite and lometa. Haven't been out in 3 weeks (I have a beautiful 9 month old little girl who keeps me around the house) and I was wondering how everyone's hunting has been here lately. Last time I went out I still had a couple mature shooters on camera and they were rutting hard.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: post rut Mills county - 12/10/15 02:07 AM

San Saba the bucks are still chasing as of last weekend.
Posted By: Threelranch

Re: post rut Mills county - 12/10/15 02:11 AM

Had two of my guys get two real nice ones this past weekend and seeing a few bucks behinds the house a little interested in some doe but it's about over in this area
Posted By: Bar M Ranch

Re: post rut Mills county - 12/10/15 03:48 AM

I hunt just across the Mills county line in Comanche county. The bucks were chasing doe this past weekend. Had a lot of action, morning and evening.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: post rut Mills county - 12/10/15 12:10 PM

I think the rut is about over. Bucks seem to be still cruising looking for doe because we are still seeing new bucks. However, those bucks haven't been with any doe, and don't stick around long.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: post rut Mills county - 12/10/15 01:43 PM

Nature running its course.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: post rut Mills county - 12/10/15 02:11 PM

It appears to be a trickle rut kind of year. The heavy rains probably caused some doe to go through their first cycle without getting bred.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: post rut Mills county - 12/10/15 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
It appears to be a trickle rut kind of year. The heavy rains probably caused some doe to go through their first cycle without getting bred.

I agree with that.
Posted By: KG68

Re: post rut Mills county - 12/10/15 02:16 PM

The ladies are getting harder to come by. I saw a swelled neck mature buck after a 25 lb yearling doe yesterday. laugh
Posted By: tbgascorer

Re: post rut Mills county - 12/10/15 02:55 PM

Mostly over and have seen the downward trend in the past few weeks. They are happy to just eat a little corn or stay hidden and recoop eating fresh growth and acorns. I thought the 5 inches I poured from my rain gauge would rot the acorns, but it didn't.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: post rut Mills county - 12/10/15 10:52 PM

North of G'waite, we are seeing the back side of the rut. Son watched a buck following a doe around, but the rest are making their way more to the feeders. Going back down this weekend to see what's happening.
Posted By: Ajpp

Re: post rut Mills county - 12/11/15 03:21 AM

Came out and hunted this evening. Saw two young bucks but no doe. Camera had a new buck coming around and another 3 year old hanging with a doe. Does are feeding heavily at night and bullwinkle was a no show in any pics the last 2weeks. Someone got them a nice one.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: post rut Mills county - 12/11/15 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Ajpp
Came out and hunted this evening. Saw two young bucks but no doe. Camera had a new buck coming around and another 3 year old hanging with a doe. Does are feeding heavily at night and bullwinkle was a no show in any pics the last 2weeks. Someone got them a nice one.

Camera pic of bullwinkle?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum