Texas Hunting Forum

Central tx food plot recommendations?

Posted By: BlakeJ

Central tx food plot recommendations? - 10/27/15 12:56 AM

Any suggestions for a fall plot in bell county? River bottom land, fertile, well drained soil. I will be able to break the ground up with a homemade spike harrow to drag behind an atv.
Posted By: Axisking

Re: Central tx food plot recommendations? - 10/27/15 01:50 AM

May be a little wet now. I'd buy some cheap wheat seed and broadcast it. Maybe radish or turnip seed with it but that's it.
Posted By: Western

Re: Central tx food plot recommendations? - 10/27/15 02:18 AM

This late, I'd put out a blend of oats and wheat.

Re: Central tx food plot recommendations? - 10/27/15 05:57 AM

Yeah I've been waiting so long because it's been too dry to bother. Plenty of soil moisture now.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Central tx food plot recommendations? - 10/27/15 01:49 PM

make your own blend of oats and Austrian winter peas. 100 pounds oats to 50 of the peas. Worked great for me last year near Waco. Oh, that mix would do 1 &1/2 acres for me broadcasting the seed. Here is photo of the 4 acre plot I planted October 1st and of my wife standing in the plot taken end of March.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Central tx food plot recommendations? - 10/27/15 09:16 PM

Oats, wheat, cereal rye, winter peas, and Madrid clover have all worked for me in Hill Country. I have planted oats this late or even a bit later and got a great stand. Mixed it 80-100# of oats with 25-50# of Austrian Winter peas.

Re: Central tx food plot recommendations? - 10/28/15 02:43 AM

Yeah I might try the justin seed fall mix.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Central tx food plot recommendations? - 10/28/15 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: BlakeJ
Yeah I might try the justin seed fall mix.

better hurry gonna rain friday I planted mine a month ago. bang I planted a new plot before the rain last week so i should be good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum