Texas Hunting Forum

recommend feeder pen size?

Posted By: Chuck Cox

recommend feeder pen size? - 10/26/15 11:38 PM

Probably been asked several but input is appreciated.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/26/15 11:41 PM

In a perfect world, as large as you can make it. In reality, 32' X 32' has worked well for me.

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/26/15 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Stickchunker
In a perfect world, as large as you can make it. In reality, 32' X 32' has worked well for me.

That's what I was thinking. 2 16' panels on each side.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/26/15 11:54 PM

Should be fine, i have pics of 6 bucks at the same time in one of mine, and 4 more outside waiting for a opening!
Posted By: 2good2Btru

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 12:00 AM

I made mine round. Diameter is 60' and circumference is about 192'. Took 12 panels and I've had about 10 deer in there with available room for others
Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 12:12 AM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5925702/Re:_Feeder_pen_size#Post5925702
Posted By: mr. buck

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 01:45 AM

10 panel dodecagon. tie the end of the panels at the t post, dont bend around. if you put a t post in the middle of each panel that is fine, just don't bend the panels into a circle or else when you put a row of barbed wire above it will be inside the panels and make for a precarious situation. took us an hour to build each one this summer including stringing the barbed wire

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 02:02 AM

Thanks y'all for the input.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: mr. buck
10 panel dodecagon. tie the end of the panels at the t post, dont bend around. if you put a t post in the middle of each panel that is fine, just don't bend the panels into a circle or else when you put a row of barbed wire above it will be inside the panels and make for a precarious situation. took us an hour to build each one this summer including stringing the barbed wire

I only used 6 panels and have had as many as four dear in the pen. I do agree that the more panels the better but in some areas it just isn't really an option to build it that big. I also made it a circle and didn't use barbed wire. What was the purpose of adding barbed wire?

Oh, and it's working great so far.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 02:18 AM

I'd build a round pen. The round shape makes it much stronger. Mine is 10 hog panels, but I think 8 would be enough. I put 1 t-post dead-center of each panel and wired the panel ends together with thick (10 guage, I think) wire. It is very sturdy. If you need to add barbed wire to the top, you can weave some wood lathes or rebar through the panels and attach the barbed wire to that so that it follows the curve of the panels and doesn't create a gap that deer will get caught in. A round pen will be a lot stronger than a square pen.
That's my 2cents
Posted By: passthru

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 02:32 AM

I have ten 16' framed panels in a rough circle. I will have 10 and 12 deer in there at times. No pen is best but the pigs camp there then.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 04:55 AM

Try to do 10 to 12 hog panels if you can in a circle. Do it right the first time. We have feeders with 8, 9, 10 and 12 and then some with just barb wire or sucker rods. We see more deer regularly at the larger ones. Later in December and January it doesn't seem to matter though.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 10:26 AM

As others have mentioned, 12 panels in a circle is an ideal size. Don't worry about adding barbed wire unless you have cows that haven't been fed jumping into the pen. I've never had them jump in mine in over 10 years.

Do it right and get the panels that are very small openings at the bottom of the panel to keep the rabbits and baby hogs out. Wire them together in a circle first before you drive any posts. Then you can adjust for the most level ground you can find to prevent big gaps underneath the bottom. Then drive your posts on the INSIDE of the pen, one where the panels overlap and one in the middle of each panel.

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 02:51 PM

Thanks for all the good info.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
As others have mentioned, 12 panels in a circle is an ideal size. Don't worry about adding barbed wire unless you have cows that haven't been fed jumping into the pen. I've never had them jump in mine in over 10 years.

Do it right and get the panels that are very small openings at the bottom of the panel to keep the rabbits and baby hogs out. Wire them together in a circle first before you drive any posts. Then you can adjust for the most level ground you can find to prevent big gaps underneath the bottom. Then drive your posts on the INSIDE of the pen, one where the panels overlap and one in the middle of each panel.

I agree with everything here but you can drive your posts as you go. I have never had any issue with gapping but I am not driving mine into rocky soil, mostly red clay. I have done most of mine with between 9-12 panels.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 08:35 PM

Big as you can afford. The more deer you want in it the bigger you will need it.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 08:44 PM

What are you trying to keep out? Pigs or cattle? Both? If possible, see about how big a circle your feeder spreads and try to build it where no corn slings outside the pen. That may not be possible, but it would help keep from encouraging either pigs or cattle.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: recommend feeder pen size? - 10/27/15 08:55 PM

As big as you can afford, ideally at least 32x32; however, I used 8 panels in a round configuration and have no issues but my deer densities are low and 3 or 4 deer in the pen is a lot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum