Texas Hunting Forum

which deer first

Posted By: Phantom

which deer first - 09/30/15 01:59 AM

If both of them show up at the same time which one would you shoot first. I would like to get both off the ranch before rut hits.

Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 02:05 AM

If you are trying to decide on which to cull, the one under the feeder for sure.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 02:05 AM

I like the one in the back as far as overall antler growth goes, but would take the one under the feeder first for management purposes.
Posted By: rickym

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I like the one in the back as far as overall antler growth goes, but would take the one under the feeder first for management purposes.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

That buck in the back has a little summin...
Posted By: Western

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 02:11 AM

I'd take the 1st one in the scope. Look almost like twins
Posted By: Appels

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 02:11 AM

Agree with the others, the one under the feeder first. Both are good looking mature deer. up What part of Texas are you hunting?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 02:27 AM

Opening weekend I am killing the one in the back first. Then spend the rest of the season trying to get the one under the feeder. He has already done a lifetimes worth of breeding, so no hurry to get him out now.

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 02:27 AM

yea my thoughts the one under the feeder is my first option. He has been showing up like clockwork my guess is that will continue till friday.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 02:29 AM

If you're culling all 8 pointers, doesn't really matter. If I had to spare one, it would be the buck in the background.

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 02:47 AM

This year is all about culling 8 pointers but if I have to choose it will be the one under the feeder first.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: brianl
This year is all about culling 8 pointers but if I have to choose it will be the one under the feeder first.
up
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 05:18 AM

If you dont have enough tags? just saying I'm available and will travel
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 11:32 AM

I'm with stx both are mature and already have plenty of their genetics out there, once you add up all their siblings and offspring. The guy under the feeder might top what 2 maybe 3 doe this year? I'm killing the biggest one if they step out together. Or shooting fast and getting them both if I have tags...
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 12:14 PM

I'd shoot the one in the back first. up
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Me too.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 02:01 PM

Looks like a river bottom in the Panhandle and those look like Panhandle bucks and for the record I would take the first one that popped into view as they both need to go, but if you are able, I would bust the buck under the feeder. They won't be running mates here in a couple of weeks, so it might be first come first served.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 04:50 PM

If your gonna kill both, kill the one in back first. He's a trophy cull. The other is just a cull but agree both need to go.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Me too.

Me three
Posted By: BowMan59

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 06:24 PM

Whichever shows first dies firs both need to die so whichever!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Me too.

This
Posted By: MarkE

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Opening weekend I am killing the one in the back first. Then spend the rest of the season trying to get the one under the feeder. He has already done a lifetimes worth of breeding, so no hurry to get him out now.

What difference does that make?
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 09:00 PM

He means why worry so much to kill the smaller buck when his genetics are already everywhere. Killing him before or after the rut makes little or no impact in the herd.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 09:18 PM

No doubt, the one in back.

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: MarkE
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

What difference does that make?

If you are going to kill both, kill the back one before he gets broke up. He is much better looking buck and make a better mount for someone. Both have been breeding for 4 yrs or more now so racing to kill the worst one first won't solve anything unless you can kill their mothers, sisters, brothers and fathers too. They should have been shot as spike yearlings. stir The front is already missing a browtine and he appears to be the dominant buck. He will camp at that feeder for a while.

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 09:36 PM

I'll add one thing. Kill that pretty deer outside the feed pen if the other buck is around. Don't chamber another round and don't make any noise or sudden movement from the stand. I'd wait at least 30 mins of not an hour after the dominant buck is gone before retrieving your kill. Dominant buck should be back under the feeder that Eve or next morning.

stx, you're killing me with spikes clap wonder if he got it?

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 09:42 PM

If the back deer is behind the pen a distance and quartering slightly to you, I would shoot him hi-shoulder. Drop him in his tracks without anymovement. If he is in tall grass the other buck might look up or not. Slowly, quietly chamber another round and then kill the buck under the feeder. When shooting a deer back behind all the other deer it usually does not alert them if hit correctly. They just drop out of sight and never kick. up

Re: which deer first - 09/30/15 09:52 PM

just don't chamber that round until after the second buck is back at rest. He may stand there and look in the direction of the other buck. He may go right back to feeding and he may even jump out of the pen to go have a look at the dead buck. That's a great time to dump him. Easier pick-up! I like the shot stx suggested. If the deer is still and facing you, I prefer center of the throat patch. Guaranteed butt hits the ground first and the deer never moves.
Posted By: ckwZ7

Re: which deer first - 10/02/15 04:50 AM

Buck in the back no question.
Posted By: EricBB92

Re: which deer first - 10/02/15 05:08 AM

I would take the back one. He has got good looking brow tines!!
Posted By: joeycoates

Re: which deer first - 10/02/15 04:52 PM

Sure wish I had that problem.....
Posted By: coach20

Re: which deer first - 10/03/15 01:35 AM

first one in. good luck.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum