Texas Hunting Forum

Wise county?

Posted By: outdoorsmen54

Wise county? - 08/30/15 11:23 PM

Any Wise hunters seeing anything promising on camera yet? Seen the first hog on this place in about 15 years. Big boat hog is gonna take a dirt nap this week. I'll upload some pics of bucks we have on camera later this evening.
Posted By: JBlack

Re: Wise county? - 08/31/15 12:52 AM

I have tons of does. Only one spike. The land I hunt is connected to the grasslands. I wonder if all the bucks have been killed off.

Re: Wise county? - 08/31/15 03:01 AM

May be because of the no hunting pressure on the grasslands yet. I bet when shots start being fired for dove season this week bigger bucks start showing up.

Re: Wise county? - 08/31/15 01:47 PM

That is good to hear. This is my first year out there. The antler restrictions and antlerless laws have not worked in that area in my opinion.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Wise county? - 08/31/15 03:20 PM

I'd love to find a place to hunt in Wise County.

Re: Wise county? - 08/31/15 03:45 PM

I found and older gentleman that is tired of poachers on his land. I hope i dont have to many encounters but i have the game wardens phone number.

Re: Wise county? - 08/31/15 06:49 PM

Has anyone seen big bucks out there? I have heard reports of quality bucks but i am starting to think two does in the freezer will be just fine.

Re: Wise county? - 08/31/15 07:50 PM

There are zero deer in Wise County.
Posted By: Western

Re: Wise county? - 08/31/15 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
There are zero deer in Wise County.

Pretty much, everyone shoots the few does we have roflmao !
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Wise county? - 08/31/15 09:22 PM

Haven't filled my feeders since spring, but assume there are still some deer around. Around me is over shot badly most years. I'm planning to let my herd recoup from the drought this year. Fawn crops have been awful in recent years.

Then again, if some monster just happens to wander by.....

Re: Wise county? - 08/31/15 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: KennyLee
Haven't filled my feeders since spring, but assume there are still some deer around. Around me is over shot badly most years. I'm planning to let my herd recoup from the drought this year. Fawn crops have been awful in recent years.

Then again, if some monster just happens to wander by.....

Kenny, they are tearing corn and protein up right now. Doesn't look anything like it has the last 5 years out here, a lot of growth.
Posted By: WNPHNTR

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: outdoorsmen54
May be because of the no hunting pressure on the grasslands yet. I bet when shots start being fired for dove season this week bigger bucks start showing up.
Yes they will start showing up in Wise County..at midnight.

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 03:08 AM

I can't get my phone to upload pics but if you go look at me age help post there are a few picks of a buck we have on our place.

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 03:09 AM

Western and Kenny Lee, where abouts do yall hunt at?

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 09:38 AM

I am SW of Cottodale, Kenny is up around lake Bridgeport iirc
Posted By: billybob

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 09:47 AM

All the game probably got sucked up in the May tornadoes. Had to make a detour through that area when the lake closed 380. Some of the worst damage i've seen.
Posted By: jwh44

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 02:17 PM

This is a Wise County Buck. Decent for the area.

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 02:39 PM

Now tell everybody where your feeder is greenhorn.
Posted By: jwh44

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 02:50 PM

I have lived in Wise County long enough to know better than that!!

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: jwh44
I have lived in Wise County long enough to know better than that!!

Doesn't take living there long to figure it out.

I think they should put a billboard on 114 and call it Poachers Paradise.

I haven't put my cameras up yet but may get out there this weekend.

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 04:37 PM

I Am south of Decatur a ways. i know high school buddies that road hunt. Had pictures of them and turned them in. Nothing ever happened.
Posted By: haslethunter

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 06:21 PM

I have hunted Wise County for the last 30 yrs. I really believe the AR's are helping. I am starting to see better deer due to them being able to get a little older. I agree it may let some genetics flourish in your herd that you don't want but the benefit still outweighs the hurt. I have seen some really good bucks that have came off of the Grasslands but I think you have to hike way back off the road.

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 06:29 PM

Part of the problem in Wise Co is over harvest IMO, folks with 10-40 acres tagging out and letting family and friends try to tag out.

For instance, have a neighbor down the road that has about 30 acres. One weekend last year they killed 7 does, then complained that they where not seeing deer anymore confused2

The folks across the street have 16 acres, they came out in a group of like 8-9, killed 6 does and now don't see much, saw them one weekend last year. Only one, the LO, speaks English.....BTW, another neighbor caught them on his place trying to do a "drive"

According to Penny the GW, I live in the hardest hunted part of the county (SW quarter), small acreages and indiscriminate killing.

I also think ARs are working here overall, I haven't and wont shoot a doe, but try to give them every reason o hang out here verses going and getting shot.

Re: Wise county? - 09/01/15 11:04 PM

A few from my place. And yes the date and time stamps are correct.
Posted By: spencer

Re: Wise county? - 09/08/15 04:56 PM

If any of yall have open spot or know of one in wise county please let me know
Thanks

Re: Wise county? - 09/08/15 05:41 PM

Oh heck it's Wise County, nobody cares, just hop the fence. If it's brown...
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Wise county? - 09/08/15 05:50 PM

There have been some great deer killed in the county the last couple of years. There are plenty of small acreage hunters but it hasn't hurt numbers at my place at all. Matter of fact I could kill 5 to 6 does the last few years and still have good numbers.

I am in the woods a lot in this county, I am sure there are poachers just like every other county, but I haven't encountered the problem presented on this thread.

Re: Wise county? - 09/08/15 10:44 PM

Wish I didn't have problems. While they've improved, I still see sign of folks on my place all the time, even having pictures of 5 different folks on game cams last year. Some we just trespassers but 3 were holding guns as they walked by. Unfortunately the pictures were at night and low quality. Makes me carry a handgun at the ready to and from the stand which pretty much sucks.

Re: Wise county? - 09/09/15 04:12 PM

Wish I didn't have problems. While they've improved, I still see sign of folks on my place all the time, even having pictures of 5 different folks on game cams last year. Some we just trespassers but 3 were holding guns as they walked by. Unfortunately the pictures were at night and low quality. Makes me carry a handgun at the ready to and from the stand which pretty much sucks.

I am sure your situation sucks. Proximity to town, all the houses on the edge of your property, rv park, and nobody lives on the property. I am sure it makes it real hard to keep a handle on the situation.

Re: Wise county? - 09/09/15 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Leonardo

I am sure your situation sucks. Proximity to town, all the houses on the edge of your property, rv park, and nobody lives on the property. I am sure it makes it real hard to keep a handle on the situation.

Didn't know you where dealing with all that Kenny!, Another reason to bust that big 6 if you see it again. I'd put up "no Trespassing" signs (new ones) all over the exterior fence for the more honest folks. If that doesn't work, maybe Buddie up with GW Penny, maybe she would like to utilize your place on a swap deal.

If I was closer to your place, I'd try to keep an eye on it for you.

Re: Wise county? - 09/11/15 01:24 PM

Checked my camera yesterday and I'm not getting anything on camera expert raccoons. Not looking very good for me this year

Re: Wise county? - 09/11/15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: spencer
Checked my camera yesterday and I'm not getting anything on camera expert raccoons. Not looking very good for me this year

There is a lot to eat this time of year which is unusual. I don't have much at my feeders either but I have seen some good quality out in the field already this year. Same thing with my place in Archer County.
Posted By: GPS

Re: Wise county? - 09/13/15 08:44 PM

These are some Wise County bucks.

Re: Wise county? - 09/14/15 01:31 PM

Wow. What part of wise county

Re: Wise county? - 09/14/15 02:57 PM

THERE ARE NO DEER IN WISE COUNTY.

These are all internet pics.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Wise county? - 09/14/15 04:51 PM

I'm about 3 miles North of Wise County between Sunset and Bowie. Haven't started cameras but have seen very few deer and not a lot of tracks.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Wise county? - 09/14/15 10:54 PM

Those photo's are from the 1950's. I could tell because they are black and white...nothing current about those photo's, nope nothin'
Posted By: Baldpate

Re: Wise county? - 09/15/15 05:55 PM

GPS- Those bucks will bug out by Season Opener!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Wise county? - 09/15/15 06:07 PM

juggle whistle peep and popcorn
Posted By: J W M

Re: Wise county? - 09/15/15 08:48 PM

I recently took a nontypical buck in Wise Co. B&C 152 6/8. He was the 3rd best buck I saw while hunting. Yes it was low fenced. I love Wise Co, TX hunting.
Posted By: GPS

Re: Wise county? - 09/16/15 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Baldpate
GPS- Those bucks will bug out by Season Opener!

Baldpate - These guys will all stay covered up until dark! That's what they have done for the past few years.

Re: Wise county? - 09/16/15 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: J W M
I recently took a nontypical buck in Wise Co. B&C 152 6/8. He was the 3rd best buck I saw while hunting. Yes it was low fenced. I love Wise Co, TX hunting.

Then you were no where near my place. I've seen one deer, ever, that would go over 150 and that was 8 years ago. Only saw him once.

There are some giant deer in the SE part of the county as you get close to Eagle Mountain.

I've heard of some big bucks near the lake and read about the 190+ shot near the golf course two years ago, but a lifetime of hunting and 15+ years of running cameras and I've never seen anything remotely close.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Wise county? - 09/16/15 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: J W M

Then you were no where near my place. I've seen one deer, ever, that would go over 150 and that was 8 years ago. Only saw him once.

There are some giant deer in the SE part of the county as you get close to Eagle Mountain.

I've heard of some big bucks near the lake and read about the 190+ shot near the golf course two years ago, but a lifetime of hunting and 15+ years of running cameras and I've never seen anything remotely close.

Kenny, there's always golfing to be had bud. You get out any lately?

Re: Wise county? - 09/18/15 02:17 PM

I've barely played at all. Hoping to play this weekend though. Upside is, my periodic play has slowly let my handicap come up to where I have fun when I do play. Gonna hurt some folks in these fall tournaments.

Re: Wise county? - 09/28/15 07:09 PM

I went to check my camera and fill the feeder this last weekend. I was so excited to get home and see the pics, because the landowner said a huge buck has been at the feeder. I get home and the camera took "0" zero pictures. I am not sure what happened. Batteries, bad card, messed up camera? i dont know. I have used the card and camera before. The batteries are not dead. I hope i can pull the card Saturday morning as i get into the blind.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Wise county? - 09/28/15 07:22 PM

I did that twice, yes slow learner with 0 photos. It's called, turn it on. Duh! on me.

Re: Wise county? - 09/28/15 07:54 PM

That's why I like the Covert's. I'm getting pics well before I leave the site.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum