Texas Hunting Forum

Deer movement lately?

Posted By: spoon33

Deer movement lately? - 12/27/14 12:43 AM

Haven't been able to check my cameras in a while and was just curious how the deer movement is going. I need to shoot a doe or two this weekend and was wondering what time you guys are seeing movement.
Posted By: Chad74

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/27/14 01:28 AM

Between 8:00 PM and 4:00 AM here in Callahan county
Posted By: offinthewoods

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/27/14 06:44 AM

Same in the Azle and STown area

No 6am-530pm deer
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/27/14 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: offinthewoods

No 6am-530pm deer

Yep. That's been my experience too.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/27/14 12:15 PM

Still seeing deer at the same times of the day during daylight, just less of them or they do not show up every day with all the green out there. Colder temps this next week will change some of that making them move a bit better.
Posted By: Western

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/27/14 01:56 PM

I have had less activity during some hrs, but still have decent activity in the food plot. Had to turn my feeder up a tad 3 days ago. As far as the older bucks, very sporadic now. get much mre activity on TC at the food plot in the evenings as well, 5pm on.

As STX said, this arctic cold front will get them up to feed when they aren't in the brush, looks like it will stick around through new years as well, at least here in N Texas.
Posted By: Killin Stick

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/27/14 10:41 PM

Its been a REAL unusual year in Weatherford too.Have a few pics of bobcats and yotes at my feeder also. Its late season NOW and havent filled a tag yet!!!
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/28/14 03:58 AM

Limited daytime movement until this afternoon. I had a buck and 3 does in this evening. First does I've seen since the second weekend of bow season, lots of pics at night though. Wife saw two young does and a buck tonight during the same timeframe. The cold did the trick to get them to the feeders during the day. Still the last 30 min of shooting light.
Took one of the does too, first deer this year.
Posted By: Anytimeoutdoors1

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/28/14 08:08 AM

The front really got them going this morning till 9am. Once my cows layed down the deer did too. Lots of nite time pics even with no moon. They definatly got us on a pattern. First and last light pretty active movement just not always to the feeders. Definatly looks like late deer season. My daughter took a cull buck at 506pm. He was after a doe second rut just getting started here and underway at my other ranch by rocksprings. Comerdeer corn coat had got them slurping up corn quickly when they do come in. I'm having Better sightings when trailing corn away from feeders they hit it every time even if it's a short distance away from feeders. Which is funny Becouse I don't shoot deer at the feeders. Always coming and going from feeders. We've taught deer to be great evaders. Good luck fellas the clock is ticking.....
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/28/14 03:00 PM

don't run cameras at my place but the deer activity has remained about like always for me
late in the season they come in the late afternoon till dark
morning hunts seem best during the rut to me
saw 20 plus last night in the howling wind
hitting food like they always do in the hard winter months
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/28/14 07:29 PM

This is the time when only the diehards will tough the elements just to get the slightest chance of filling a tag. Deer sightings during legal shooting hours are now next to nothing in the same areas where I was seeing plenty of deer a month ago in Houston County.
Posted By: rockinrdranch

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/29/14 12:26 AM

I have hunted morning and evening for the past 4 days,, deer are coming to corn, but , they are very alert and very uncomfortable at the feeders and to hand corn. I suspect the abundance of green winter grass has been keeping them well fed. A deer that doesn't have to hustle for food is hard to hunt.
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/29/14 05:46 PM

None they could care less about corn right is too many acorns.
Posted By: JD4030

Re: Deer movement lately? - 12/29/14 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: offinthewoods

No 6am-530pm deer

Yep. That's been my experience too.

Been our experience in Glen Rose area, few and far between.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum