Texas Hunting Forum

Unforked antler question

Posted By: mooney_ag

Unforked antler question - 12/09/14 05:50 PM

As far as the spike or one un-forked antler, would this guy be legal? Small fork on one and nub on the other. Can the nub be considered the un-forked antler?

This guy seems to have bulked up over the last month and a half eating corn and protein mix at the feeders.

Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/09/14 05:51 PM

rifle
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/09/14 06:03 PM

food
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/09/14 06:22 PM

probably good eating, but a yearling buck isn't what I consider a spike for using my tags.
Posted By: RDNCK

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/09/14 06:33 PM

Very very young
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/09/14 06:56 PM

i also think he is young. i bet he will surprise you next year, i would let him walk
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/09/14 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: MELackey
probably good eating, but a yearling buck isn't what I consider a spike for using my tags.

My feelings as well. What I look for are 2-1/2 year bucks with a single, unbranched antler since the better ones will carry two of them.

Posted By: killemall

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/09/14 09:26 PM

Is that milk dripping from his lips.
Posted By: TXGH

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/09/14 09:29 PM

IF this was on public land I would agree with you and see if it is legal to shoot. I think this would be considered as 1 unbranched. But clearly with the feeder this is not public land, and I would let him walk for a year or 3
Posted By: Bubba270

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/10/14 04:13 AM

Dirt nap
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/10/14 05:07 AM

Next year.

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/10/14 03:24 PM

An example of what I'm looking for when it comes to tweaking the herd...

Posted By: mooney_ag

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/10/14 04:37 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I'll let him go, he's got a lot better body than some of his counter parts. I have seen a couple of crab claw 4 pts. that I would love to take down but with ARs. No bueno. Maybe if I can shoot a fork off, and get another shot off before he knows what happens.....

1 1/2 to 2 1/2 is tough for me to age right now, tips....

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/10/14 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: mooney_ag

Do they appear to be the buck's first or second set of antlers? Fawns born six months prior will not have antlers, and 1-1/2 year bucks will have shorter spikes, generally speaking.

IMO, much of it comes from simply comparing the characteristics of the deer you see. You'll begin to notice the differences in appearance and pick out the ones that lag their peers.

It also helps to spend time in the woods during the off season, perhaps while hog hunting, and just study the deer you see.
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/11/14 01:35 AM

18 month old. I'd for sure give him time. Probably a yearling doe birth, late.
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/11/14 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: mooney_ag

Do they appear to be the buck's first or second set of antlers? Fawns born six months prior will not have antlers, and 1-1/2 year bucks will have shorter spikes, generally speaking.

IMO, much of it comes from simply comparing the characteristics of the deer you see. You'll begin to notice the differences in appearance and pick out the ones that lag their peers.

It also helps to spend time in the woods during the off season, perhaps while hog hunting, and just study the deer you see.

You really think the length of the spikes have anything to do with the age of the deer? So a spike with 4" spikes is a yearling and a spike with 10" spikes is a 2 year old?

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/11/14 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: BowSlayer
You really think the length of the spikes have anything to do with the age of the deer? So a spike with 4" spikes is a yearling and a spike with 10" spikes is a 2 year old?

IMO, the issue is more a matter of a buck being old enough to develop two branched antlers. If he only carries one, I remove him if I have a tag available, no matter the length of the unbranched antler.

To each his own.
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/11/14 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: BowSlayer

IMO, the issue is more a matter of a buck being old enough to develop two branched antlers. If he only carries one, I remove him if I have a tag available at the time and no matter the length of the unbranched antler.

To each his own.

I agree, shoot what you want. I don't care either way. 95 percent of spikes are yearlings like the one you pictured.

Re: Unforked antler question - 12/11/14 07:42 PM

Again, just my own opinion, but if a buck is old enough to grow a branched antler, he's old enough to grow two of them if the genetics are there.

Granted, opinions vary on the validity, but two forked antlers appears to be the earliest indicator of genetic potential. There are always exceptions with anything. But exceptions should never be the basis for holding back standards that achieve overall benefits.

Besides, I would bet most hunters are giving the true yearlings with two, unbranched antlers a pass anyway, despite what some of you might choose to believe.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum