Texas Hunting Forum

who else is batting 0 for deer?

Posted By: 7mag

who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 06:54 PM

I'm so jealous of the ones who are taking deer. I'm batting 100 percent again this year. Glimmer of hope is a day hunt in late December.

Got to thinking. Last time I harvested a deer was 2010!!! Holy Moly! !!! Something gotta give lol. Anyone else having the rash of bad luck??
Posted By: rytheguy84

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 06:57 PM

" slowly raises hand" blush
Posted By: 7mag

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: rytheguy84

roflmao
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 07:45 PM

Uhhh, well, uhh. Ok me three!!!
Posted By: SCson

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 07:50 PM

Been a couple years for me too. But spending time with my son outdoors is worth everything.
Posted By: JB10

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SCson
Been a couple years for me too. But spending time with my son outdoors is worth everything.
up
Posted By: BadLander

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 08:43 PM

0 for rifle !!!!! Could have/should have, filled all my tags during bow!!!!
1 for bow
Posted By: Seadog

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 08:49 PM

Me too!!! peep
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 09:01 PM

I've only shot a spike that looked to be 2.5 YO freezer fodder.....but the season isn't over yet!
Posted By: Prandtl

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 09:09 PM

2013 & 2014, combined, I have only been in the blinds 36-48 hrs. Not by choice. Don't have a lease, don't own land, just go to some day hunt places. S.U.C.K.S. One day I will have my own land. So yeah haven't shot a darn deer in the last two years.
Posted By: Branden

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 09:18 PM

I'm there to just because I'm picky and only shoot mature deer and let quit a few go, see deer every sitting.. Good luck to you it will come
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 09:28 PM

I am. Im only bow hunting. Passed on multiple doe and spike during early bow season. Finally decided to take a shot at a spike and freakin missed. Had a very large buck coming in on me and at 50 yards he bolted when the feeder went off. Took the wife and daughter out during doe days and those days the doe were gone. My 13 yo daughter did get a spike a few weeks ago. Im still hunting though. There are a couple of spikes hanging around so hopefully I can get one. I did manage to get a big hog that came out at 40 yards.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 09:41 PM

Here
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 09:50 PM

I've spent about 2 dozen days in the beautiful Hill Country and about 8 in the Trinity bottoms. Haven't shot a whitetail but that's twenty or so days I wasn't at work. cheers
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 11:08 PM

Nada. And I've put in a lot of time so far.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/06/14 11:09 PM

Hunting public and I am at zero so far.
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 01:34 AM

What are these "deer" you speak of, they like Unicorns?
Posted By: Perfect 8

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 01:57 AM

... slowly raises his hands X2

I have 6 days during bow season and 6 during gun season with no deer. Had a chance at a mature deer during bow season but moved at the wrong time and got spotted. Seen a couple of AR +/- eights but those get a walk. We are pretty sure we are seeing less deer due to some drought die-offs in Stephens county. Will be back at it the week before Christmas.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 02:39 AM

Next year dammit. Next year
Posted By: rytheguy84

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 02:41 AM

Not giving up until sundown January 4th!!
Posted By: breal

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 03:47 AM

I am 0-ffer. But the neighbors are not. they have shot 6 that I know of. if it walks they are slaying them. Killing me!!!

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 04:11 AM

Hopefully I have finally learned my lesson this year and next year during bow season I will take the first doe and spike that give me the opportunity.
Posted By: TXMachinist

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 04:50 AM

I haven't killed 1 since 2007. Either I haven't had a lease, or I have been too picky, one or the other. Seen a lot of deer this year, just haven't shot. Will shoot a doe at least this year.

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 05:16 AM

Well, bedtime kiddos. Gotta be up and in the blind by 5:30am! Good luck tomorrow everyone!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 05:43 AM

I've only seen two this year but have been in the blind 12 days elmer moose
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 06:42 AM

I as well, but mine has been by choice. My nephews call me the "deer watcher" because I've seen a bunch while hunting, minus this weekend, and have let them all walk.
Posted By: don k

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 01:19 PM

If you have not gotten a Deer it is either because. There are no Deer where you are. You are just looking and not shooting. You are too picky. You are letting them grow so the neighbor is shooting them all. Or all of the above.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 04:35 PM

I haven't killed a WT since 2009 and that was in Mexico, killed a MD in 2010. I passed on a 133" 4yr old 8pt this year so one of my guys could take it. I've got a few bigger than that and I knew it would be his biggest. He was thrilled to take it. I have a hard time killing a buck on my ranch, especially one I know one of my hunters would get a bigger kick out of taking. If the right size comes along I'll click the safety off. With this drought we've had the past couple of years, that might take a while.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 05:36 PM

Tagged out.

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
If you have not gotten a Deer it is either because. There are no Deer where you are. You are just looking and not shooting. You are too picky. You are letting them grow so the neighbor is shooting them all. Or all of the above.

We've got deer on our place. Got plenty of fresh signs they are there, they just seem to be nocturnal right now.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/07/14 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

We've got deer on our place. Got plenty of fresh signs they are there, they just seem to be nocturnal right now.
Yep. More deer moving at night right now. I've killed two bucks so far and passed on a couple of real nice 8 points. Yesterday evening I had 6 doe, a nubber, a big wide 8 point and a large Bobcat out in my oat patch. No shots were fired. Gonna' TRY and save the wide 8 point for a friend or family member. I was in a 'Zen-like' state last evening and didn't feel like breaking the wonderful silence with a gunshot. Getting soft in my old age I guess. When I was younger there would have been bloodshed.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/08/14 12:57 AM

I too haven't taken a deer this year but it isn't for lack of trying. I've sat out over 20 times and only seen 16 deer, some of them are obviously the same deer. I passed on one borderline 8 pointer that I watched for 20 minutes the weekend before thanksgiving. I'm second guessing not shooting him, but I know I made the right decision to give him another year. Hopefully I can at least get something to put some meat in the freezer. I'll leave with this thought that someone said in another post not that long ago, "a bad season can turn into a good season in 5 seconds." Hopefully that happens for some of us, at least. Good luck!
Posted By: passthru

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/08/14 01:09 AM

Nope. Tagged 5 so far.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/08/14 02:20 AM

I could be tagged out, but except for one freezer filler I have just let them walk.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/08/14 02:27 AM

It is very frustrating sitting an entire weekend and never seeing a single animal.
Posted By: SWtexashunter

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/08/14 02:29 AM

No deer for me so far. Ready to take them though. I have let too many does walk
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/08/14 02:37 AM

We are not seeing many deer at all, there is so much natural stuff acorns etc that keep them away from the feeders. have seen small 4 pointer and a 6 but let them walk. Surely the acorns will be gone soon, hope we get more movement then.
Posted By: SWtexashunter

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/08/14 02:59 AM

Yeah later in the season (late december-january) will be a lot better wilhunt
Posted By: rifleman

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/08/14 03:23 AM

Killed a muley, but just been watching the WT. Could've had almost 60" of spread out of 1 MD & 1 WT, but opted to let the WT walk.
Posted By: JRO

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/08/14 03:32 AM

I've been using the archery equipment all season and seen plenty of deer but still no meat. Too young, too small, out of range etc. I missed on my first opportunity to take a doe with a bow but it was by far the coolest experience of my life
Posted By: JDShellnut

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/08/14 04:59 AM

2011 was the last time I killed a deer.

Had 2 shooters on cam this year. One has been gone since opening weekend of rifle, the other was killed thanksgiving morning by a neighbor. 1 more 3 year old that I won't shoot and a few yearlings and 2 year olds. I don't have anything on camera that I will shoot next year either.
Posted By: tannerlst

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/08/14 11:11 AM

Shot a nice buck on the bow opener and been super slow since !
Posted By: Combine Kid

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/08/14 12:06 PM

Not batting .000 but haven't seen very many bucks that were worth shooting. We have taken a doe or 2, but that's about it. It's like the lottery, can't win if you aren't playing. Keep at it!
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/09/14 02:16 AM

I would be very happy with a doe, or a pig, or anything.

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/09/14 02:26 AM

Maybe I'm not wearing enough camo in the blind.
Posted By: TXGH

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/09/14 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Maybe I'm not wearing enough camo in the blind.

hahaha love it!!

I got lucky and got one on public land 2 hours north of Houston on Thanksgiving! But I have only been out 4 times, and seen does each time. That was the only Buck I have seen. Was nothing wall worthy but he was AR legal! On public land anything AR legal gets dropped! I dont' know of or have any connection to a reasonable lease or land. I do work in the hotel industry and can offer some NICE trades if anyone is interested!

Keep at it, I will!
Posted By: themoonrulz

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/09/14 03:21 AM

Raises hand mad. We spent 4 days hunting in Mason and not a single deer was taken. They went nocturnal and stayed away from feeders. There was so much corn on the ground. I tried everything. Went out in the middle of the day, hunted areas where the like to walk through. Came up empty handed but still had a great time.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/09/14 03:58 AM

I haven't killed a whitetail in two years, have hunted a lot and could have killed plenty but have been passing on deer/saving for young or new hunters. Pigs, that's another story grin I'm not even 40 yet, this type of hunting I thought was reserved for old folks peep but seriously I get more satisfaction nowadays helping newbies. If I see a bruiser yes I'm gonna shoot him if I can. Last year I saw two big boys, one came out mixed in with the others and was too dark to take the shot. The other was in good light, but as fast as I was he was faster and was gone before I could get on him. Frustrating but I try not to sweat it too much, to me it will mean that much more when I do drop the hammer on a biggun' up
Posted By: Davezerg

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/09/14 04:37 AM

I took a doe in mid November and my little brother in law took a doe on thanksgiving. That's it. Been going out every day and zero bucks to be seen. Hoping it's for a good reason, maybe ill start seeing a bunch of big ones when the rut comes.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/10/14 02:43 AM

Nothing this season.
Posted By: cp50948

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/10/14 03:48 PM

I've only been able to go one afternoon. Live to far away from hunting grounds to make a weekend trip. Will hunt every day during Christmas break though. Plan on doing some all day sits, wife will not be happy.
Posted By: mehall1087

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/11/14 05:33 PM

Mason County Buck mid day during rut and full moon.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/11/14 07:38 PM

I got my buck the other day at 10:40 am. Had 5 bucks chasing a doe and took the biggest about 6.5 years old. If I was with my boy, I would have been at camp by 9:30.
Posted By: waderaider1

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/13/14 12:45 PM

Only seen does Friday and Saturday after thanksgiving in Dime Box.
Left early with the flu. Back in stand this morning. Fog is thick.
Had deer blo a few times across the county rd. No scrapes this yr
Unlike yrs past. Lots of acorns every where. Just a tough year.
Posted By: tholloway

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/14/14 10:30 PM

been out five times, " 0 " count on deer

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/14/14 11:34 PM

I still haven't taken a deer this season but have taken two 200 lbs boars. Just made up 30 lbs of sausage.

Im not giving up yet, will hunt til season is over. Hopefully a spike or big buck will come in bow range. Wish I hadn't passed on those spikes and doe early in the season.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/15/14 12:05 AM

Just remember its called 'hunting' deer And you ll feel better
Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/15/14 01:33 AM

I shot a young one on Ft Hood.... 2.5 year old 13 1/2 inch 9 point. had to make a quick decision on whether to shoot him or not because he was running for the brush. On my wife's family land where I bowhunt only, I'm seeing alot of young bucks and a few does with young 'uns still. Have one big old doe with a huge growth on her jaw that I'm wanting to take out, but only seen her once. I've still got Christmas to get her or another prospect though!!

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/15/14 01:41 AM

Thank god for the bonus season.

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/15/14 10:01 PM

Update sat Saturday morning in the fog and nothing. checked the cameras 100 pics only 3 with deer.
all at night. the other strange thing is the coons aren't showing up either and the corn is piling up.
talked to the to a local and their corn is piling up and her comment was the black cat is back.?!
now here is the kicker. about 4 weekends ago when we had thunderstorms all day Saturday I had a few deer come out at 5:15 pm when the rain stopped. the next morning at 6:30 am about 1200 yds out in the neighbors field I see what would be the biggest Coyote I had ever seen lept up on top of a round bail of hay and marked it, jumped down and checked out around the other hay bales. then jumped up on the bale it had marked. the dog was as long as the bale was wide. Black down the back and tail and tannish red sides. I mentioned this and the lady said it was a wolf. that there were quite a few around Die Box. I shot the coyote last yr weekend after Christmas that was big about 50#s anda very thick and red mane. what say you.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/15/14 10:18 PM

Coydog
Posted By: Navasot

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/15/14 10:19 PM

Very common
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/15/14 11:05 PM

Not giving up until sundown January 4th!!
I shot one last year with 10 minutes of legal light left on the last day.

Of course it's a lot easier to wait until the last minute when you see a bunch of deer at every sitting.
Posted By: JimC123

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/16/14 03:25 AM

Batted 0 last 2 seasons. I live in Louisiana but a buddy talked me into hunting in TX. Between the $700 I spent in licenses, money spent on supplies, and the local economy, I have no venison to show for it. They say "Everything is Bigger in Texas;" that's certainly true for my disappointment.
Posted By: Jimmy Peppers

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/16/14 03:50 AM

I haven't taken a deer this year.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/16/14 04:49 AM

Most of the guys on our 3000 acre ranch have been skunked as well. Our new setup 4 miles from anyone else has produced well. This stand is well off the beaten path and borders bedding, food and water, 2 sets depending on wind.. Tough long hike in, but worth it.
Posted By: Kingfisher77

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/16/14 04:58 AM

This is it so far...little 6 pt. The few nice 8's that we were tracking haven't been seen in weeks, most of them probably shot as our neighbors always seem to be throwing lead around.

At least the freezer is full.

This may be the best one that I bag this year, we have also taken a few spikes.

Not exactly a failure, but not a huge success either.

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/17/14 04:30 PM

Could this be the reason for fewer deer and no sighting?
is this a coyote, Coydog or redwolf coyote hybrid?
Shutterfly

Shutterfly

Shutterfly

Shot last year weekend after Christmas about 50lb dog.
Posted By: booger

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/17/14 04:32 PM

0-fer by choice. Have let my son shoot 2 deer and I have passed on a bunch.... 1 I am kind of regretting but OH WELL
Posted By: Dave B

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/17/14 05:32 PM

Did not take a shot until yesterday. I hunt 3 to 4 days a week. Not seeing the numbers I did last year. Took a spike after wishing upon a shooting star yesterday morning. Meat in the freezer finally. Passed on 2 does last night. They won't be so lucky this afternoon if they show.

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/17/14 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: JimC123
Batted 0 last 2 seasons. I live in Louisiana but a buddy talked me into hunting in TX. Between the $700 I spent in licenses, money spent on supplies, and the local economy, I have no venison to show for it. They say "Everything is Bigger in Texas;" that's certainly true for my disappointment.
Sounds like you didn't do your homework before you spent the money. Sounds like a La. problem not a Texas one.
Posted By: JDMore

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/17/14 09:10 PM

My freezer is empty and this weekend will be the last chance I have to go.....

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/18/14 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimmie Moreland
My freezer is empty and this weekend will be the last chance I have to go.....

Sadness.
Posted By: AD1717

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/18/14 03:14 AM

Passed on one opening morning and been second guessing myself ever since!
Posted By: udamdan

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/18/14 12:31 PM

0 for 7 trips this year

confused2

Been good last 3 yrs with 11 pt buck, 3 spikes and 2 old does
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/18/14 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: AD1717
Passed on one opening morning and been second guessing myself ever since!

Yep, same here. I gave two small 6's a pass thinking I can do better.... I'll be at the lease from Sunday til Wednesday so hopefully my luck will change.
Posted By: TCB

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/18/14 04:07 PM

I'm going to a buddies place outside Campwood tomorrow. The 1st deer that appears to be more than a yearling is getting a dose of 6.5 Creedmoor medicine. He's been having 20-25 deer come out so it'll be my luck that they all head to Hawaii this weekend.
Posted By: Rifleman1775

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/18/14 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: TCB
I'm going to a buddies place outside Campwood tomorrow. The 1st deer that appears to be more than a yearling is getting a dose of 6.5 Creedmoor medicine. He's been having 20-25 deer come out so it'll be my luck that they all head to Hawaii this weekend.

roflmao
Posted By: Waylon A.

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/18/14 04:44 PM

I've killed 3 deer in the last 14 years and I hunt a lot. When you are a trophy hunter that hunts places that have no trophies, that's just the way it works out. I love hunting deer. I don't particularly love killing deer. That's why I choose to be picky.
Posted By: JimC123

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/19/14 03:23 AM

Sounds like you didn't do your homework before you spent the money. Sounds like a La. problem not a Texas one.

Not sure what you mean by homework. Had deer on cameras, put feeder up several months before bow season, even tried a small rye patch this year. Deer have been taken on the lease for years. I'm at a loss for what else I need to do.

Re: who else is batting 0 for deer? - 12/19/14 01:26 PM

Not sure what you mean by homework. Had deer on cameras, put feeder up several months before bow season, even tried a small rye patch this year. Deer have been taken on the lease for years. I'm at a loss for what else I need to do.
Deer don't suddenly disappear over night unless there were no deer there in the first place. Or your neighbors shot them all before the season. Personally I would go with number one. Your buddy is the one to talk to.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum