Texas Hunting Forum

Personal best and wife's first deer

Posted By: RoadBlock

Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 05:22 AM

We got an invite to a hunt at the Hydrick Ranch out in Gatesville Tx, went out last Thursday and hunted through Sunday. Got to the ranch a bit later than we wanted to on Thursday, so we hit the range to check our rifles and then got settled in. Friday morning we went out for the first hunt, I saw 2 nice shooters first off but couldn't get a clean shot because of the fog. I waited for a bit and let the fog burn off, saw this guy in the brush, he showed us his horns but not his body for about 10 minutes, he stepped out and my guide took a look to make sure he was old enough, told me he was a shooter and gave a grunt he froze, took two steps, froze again and I popped him. My shot was a little back and took out his lungs, he ran off and we waited. Got out of the stand and trailed him, tok a while some of the trail got down to the barest specks of blood, after about 350 yards we found him piled up under some trees. My wife's luck wasn't as good for a few days, she sat Friday morning and evening, same on Saturday and on Sunday her and her guide went to the stand they hunted the morning I shot my deer, my guide went back to the blind where I shot my deer, and this nice wide, white horned 8 was there, my wife named him whitey. I had seen him the morning I shot my buck, but he was one of the deer that was blocked by the fog. Well my guide called her guide and told her that was was at the "chicken bone" blind. They high tailed it over there, got in the blind, sat for literally a minute, and whitey walked on, 100 yards from the blind and broadside. My wife got him in her sights and pulled the trigger. She cried and freaked out as soon as she pulled the trigger. The shot was right on spot, though it missed the heart by a hair, she wasn't sure about the shot, so she freaked out a it. They ended up having to come back and get the dogs, whitey had ran and circled around and was in line with the feeder, back in the brush. We got to see an awesome band, Raven Cliff, met some cool people and she got her first deer and I got my PB. She was bound and determined that her deer was bigger than mine, the land owner scored them. Her deer was wider than mine, inside spread being a bit over 20 inches and mine being 17 3/4 inches, but hers scored at 134 3/4 inches and mine was a hair over 136 inches. Her deer field dressed at 116 pounds and mine at 125. It was such a cool time, so glad to be blessed.

The last deer in the pictures was a shot through my binos at 236 yards, he was a real cool looking deer, couldn't get a shot of the really cool deer I saw. He was 3.5 years old, my guide guessed he scored around 180ish, and he had an 11 inch drop tine on his right side. Awesome deer!

Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 06:09 AM

Congrats to both of you up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkd106
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 01:34 PM

Now that's what it's all about.

Congratulations!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 01:48 PM

Both are great bucks. Congratulations
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 01:53 PM

congrats, great looking bucks
Posted By: Western

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
up
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 02:04 PM

congrats. great bucks cheers
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 02:14 PM

cheers
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 02:48 PM

Those are some good looking bucks. Congratulations to you both.
Posted By: Weegs

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 02:49 PM

cheers Good times shared with one you love. Doesn't get much better than that!
Posted By: East

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
cheers
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 03:25 PM

congrats to both! cheers
Posted By: Parttime

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/26/14 03:56 PM

Congrats on your new PB and the wifes first deer!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/27/14 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkd106
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Personal best and wife's first deer - 11/27/14 03:18 PM

Two great looking deer. Congratulations to you both up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum