Texas Hunting Forum

Corn road middle of night or day?

Posted By: Mathp

Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 04:26 AM

I've done both and can't tell the difference but corning shooting lanes tomorrow for Saturday and curious if anyone noticed any difference in activity when corning middle of day or night for following day hunt?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 05:22 AM

I do midday. It's easier to see, and at least around here, that's when normal ranching activities occur. I think the deer would tend to spook out of an area after dark.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 10:34 AM

I always go just before I get into the blind when I hunt, morning or evening. The deer learn the sound of the road feeder and will show up fast.
Posted By: RDNCK

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 10:58 AM

^^^
My FIL swore by corning before his morning and evening hunts. He always killed good deer so hard to argue against it.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 01:28 PM

I believe the sound of corn being thrown out is what alerts the deer to the area, so I say corn in the morning before you get in the stand and around 2:00 before you get in the stand for the afternoon hunt.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I always go just before I get into the blind when I hunt, morning or evening. The deer learn the sound of the road feeder and will show up fast.

This
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 02:24 PM

yup, right before the hunt
Posted By: Drop 1

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 03:14 PM

I ALWAYS corn my roads in my 4 lanes which are all about 250 yrd in length so about 2 sacks is what I put down, but I do mine by hand from my fourwheeler. Chances are whether morning or afternoon, once I corn it up and get settled in and crack that can of floor sweep sausages, I have deer waiting on me. maybe its the vienea sausages that do the trick
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 04:00 PM

Right before I hunt, 300 yards in all directions at about 10-15 yard intervals to keep the deer moving. I don't overdo the corn either, just a second or two every interval and I generally give myself a 50 yard buffer zone so they don't walk right up on me. I have tried other methods, but this works best for me.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 04:08 PM

I always corn before I get into the blind
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 04:16 PM

This is what we have always done.
Posted By: txagbear02

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 08:39 PM

I'll corn 100 yards both east and west of my blind. I do it just before shooting light. Even if the feeder has already gone off, I'll see some deer in the road after 15-20 minutes.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 10/31/14 10:18 PM

Absolutely, sometimes the deer are out eating by the time I park the truck and make it back to the blind. I had a buck at one time that would run in behind the truck about 30 yards and start eating before I could get out of the sendero.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Corn road middle of night or day? - 11/01/14 05:51 AM

Mid afternoon using the old tractor.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum