Texas Hunting Forum

Slug hunting question... random

Posted By: Bubba270

Slug hunting question... random - 10/26/14 01:53 AM

When it comes to slug hunting all you hear is 12 and 20 gauge. Why doesnt anyone use just a 410 3in slug round. I mean in my mind it would be better because your not shooting the deer with a cannon. Just a random thought and would like to see what others think and would like to hear some input from those more knowledgable than I.
Posted By: Brandon82

Re: Slug hunting question... random - 10/26/14 02:10 AM

12 and 20 are more common and 410 shells are high.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Slug hunting question... random - 10/26/14 02:28 AM

Not an expert on slug guns but I would think you will severely limit your range with the .410 vs the other 2.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Slug hunting question... random - 10/26/14 02:40 AM

In VA where I have my property we cannot use centerfire rifles so I use a 20 gauge slug ..ProHunter with a 20 gauge barrel and use the Federal sabots (1900 fps and about 275 gr)...very accurate and deadly out to 200 yds easy. You will find way more ammo options with 20 & 12 gauge then the .410 and the 20 gauge is a lot easier on you than the 12 gauge if you shoot and practice a lot. On the 20 guage the ballistics is similar to a muzzleloader (but not as good).
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Slug hunting question... random - 10/26/14 07:38 AM

I use a 16 gauge with slugs!!! My longest shot on my lease in SE Texas is probably 40yds max!!!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Slug hunting question... random - 10/26/14 09:19 AM

Just my opine,

Part of the 410 slug lack of use has to do with energy. 109 grains of slug weight at 1800fps has less than 800ft/lbs of energy from a soft lead bullet with a very low Ballistic coefficient. In other words it sheds velocity and energy quickly without much to start with. That with the forester slug design that often breaks up into 2 or 3 pieces resulting in litte penetration doesn't make for a great big game bullet.

Will they work some of the time, sure just keep the range short and shot placement great.
Are they ideal for hunting deer, NO
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Slug hunting question... random - 10/26/14 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Just my opine,

Part of the 410 slug lack of use has to do with energy. 109 grains of slug weight at 1800fps has less than 800ft/lbs of energy from a soft lead bullet with a very low Ballistic coefficient. In other words it sheds velocity and energy quickly without much to start with. That with the forester slug design that often breaks up into 2 or 3 pieces resulting in litte penetration doesn't make for a great big game bullet.

Will they work some of the time, sure just keep the range short and shot placement great.
Are they ideal for hunting deer, NO

The truth is always in the math.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Slug hunting question... random - 10/26/14 08:37 PM

My dad started me with a 410 with slugs when I was 6yo, put me on 3 does in 2 days within 40 yds, I missed everyone or didn't reach them , I don't know for sure. Finally on the fourth, he handed me my older brothers youth 243 , she fell in her tracks. No other kid in our family has ever started with a 410 slug again. Not that this has anything to do with 12,20 or 410 difference, except I am not a fan of the 410 for deer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum