Texas Hunting Forum

Your "I almost forgot" list

Posted By: Texas Dan

Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 02:53 PM

With the general season opener just a little over a week away, now is the time to remember those last minute items that you remember not remembering in years past.

Thinking back, what are some things that you did not remember to get until the last minute, or not until it was almost too late before the season opener?

Hopefully, a new license wasn't one of them.

I suspect a spare bottle of propane is one that gets missed a lot.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 02:59 PM

If you hunt long enough it will more than likely happen to just about everyone and that is forgetting your AMMO!!!
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 03:03 PM

Forgetting your hunting knife at home bang
Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
If you hunt long enough it will more than likely happen to just about everyone and that is forgetting your AMMO!!!

This is what I was going to say
I did that, ONCE!!!
Had to run into town and get ammo my gun had never fired before just so I could be in the blind the next morning
I will NEVER forget that again, other things, most likely, but never ammo again
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 03:19 PM

I forgot bug spray once on an early season hunt....MISERABLE!!!
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 03:42 PM

I forgot to tie my 5gal water jug down good in the bed of my pickup and it fell over and all the water drained out the lid. Luckily I had a case of bottled water at camp but I hate drinking coffee in the mornings made from bottled water instead of my home water. It just don't taste right.

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 03:48 PM

While I would never leave a firearm in my trailer, I've decided to keep a box of ammo for every caliber that I shoot, just in case I forget to bring some.

It should also remedy the problem of bringing the .270, and not remembering that you have 25-06 ammo in your bag from your last trip.

It's a move that might also bail out your buddies who have a worse problem with CRS, Can't Remember ..."
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 03:53 PM

When hunting around home I rarely have to worry about that, but when we head to the Hill Country twice a year for a 6+ hour trip one-way...it really stings when you leave something behind. I have a checklist now because I've left everything from my hunting bag, binoculars, and yes even my rifle once.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 03:58 PM

Got to the blind the other morning without the rope cocker for the crossbow. Fortunately nothing came by to shoot.

Once got in my blind, went to bolt in a round, and there was ONE round in the magazine and none in my pocket.

Have frequently forgotten to pack my belt, and once my boots (hunted in tennis shoes all weekend).
Posted By: RossCravens

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 05:11 PM

Our whole family hunts together and we are all pretty well prepared. When someone does forget something there is a high probability that someone has a spare they can lend out, sharing is caring haha. It seems like I am usually the one lending something out tho smirk I am kind of a pack rat when it comes to hunting gear though...I am the kind of guy that takes three rifles to the blind with me, and a pistol, and at least two knifes, and a hatchet, of course TP, and a whole slew of other things. Hence why I built such a big blind this off season!
Posted By: HAWKEYE911

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 05:35 PM

Don't forget to take your' ink pen with you to fill out your' tags. And dont forget to fill out your' harvest log on the back of your' license.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 05:36 PM

My keys for the gate, cabin and stand. Good thing is my neighbor now has a spare key to my gate that opens the lock on the cabin too. Need to put the spare key for the stand in the cabin. eek2
Posted By: jseago

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 05:36 PM

I always forget water. I live 20 minutes from my hunting area and always forget water to cool down after a long deer drag, impromptu work, or after hot hunts during bow season. Sometimes it would be nice to re-hydrate and cool down.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 06:00 PM

ice
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: brucet

This is what I was going to say
I did that, ONCE!!!
Had to run into town and get ammo my gun had never fired before just so I could be in the blind the next morning
I will NEVER forget that again, other things, most likely, but never ammo again
up

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 07:52 PM

Some of can relate to this.

Being nearsighted, I have both prescription sunglasses and a normal pair.

It gets dark quick when you forget to switch between the two and head out for an evening hunt with your prescription sunglasses.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 08:35 PM

I almost forgot my mom is coming to town to visit... opening weekend! Love my mom, love hunting.

Missing opening weekend,
Mickey
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 08:55 PM

I forgot my sons rifle opening weekend last year. Had 3 for me, one for the wife, and nothing for my son. Opening weekend is opening weekend. Round tripped it back to Houston from near Lampasas after the morning hunt. I'll not make that mistake again.
Posted By: sig6060

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/23/14 10:08 PM

Thanks to this thread I now have an "extra" roll of TP in my Ranger!
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/24/14 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: sig6060

^^^^^^^^^^^

I have hit that last bump gate by camp doing 60mph roflmao

I used to have no tops on my socks forever
Posted By: 8th1

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/24/14 01:48 AM

I forgot my cap once. Just a lousy camo cap.
I hunted without it and felt naked all weekend.

Now I take multiple caps every time.
Posted By: sloveless

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/24/14 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

roflmao

I always remember the TP, its usually little things like zip ties that I forget.

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/24/14 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: sloveless

roflmao

I always remember the TP, its usually little things like zip ties that I forget.

A pen to fill out a tag and the back of a license goes on the list as well, not to mention a knife to notch out the date on the tag. Also, some pens don't like to work on the plastic used for licenses and tags. Better test it prior to hitting the woods to make sure it writes and does so without smearing. Just plain old ball points seem to work best for me.

I also keep a small tape measure in my bag for checking antler widths. If I just had a better way to make bucks stand still while I measure their racks. aim
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/24/14 12:47 PM

I did it once, had a few shells but not many. I now buy gun cases with ammo carriers built in and I leave a box in there, plus all my guns have 3-4 rounds in them just in case.

I left my boots once and had to hunt in a pair of nike tennis shoes when I was in high school
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/24/14 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: sig6060

^^^^^^^^^^^

I have hit that last bump gate by camp doing 60mph roflmao

All my camo hunting shirts come with shirt pockets for a very specific reason. Most are now missing that front pocket...
Posted By: bigun

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/25/14 12:40 AM

don't forget to sight that old rifle in
Posted By: cm250

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/25/14 01:23 AM

Have for years, and always have a check off list before we leave the house for the woods. Actually keep last years list to work off and add to or delete as required. Knock on the old wooden head, never left behind anything vital... so far....

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/25/14 04:56 AM

I picked up one of those small ammo cases at Academy today and put one box of ammo in it for every caliber rifle that I own. It will be kept in my trailer for those times when I foget to bring ammo.

Maybe I should go ahead and put it in my truck so I don't forget it next week.
Posted By: Terry Chester

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/26/14 03:22 AM

30 years ago, got up early to beat the rush hour traffic through Dallas. 30 minutes away from home noticed the red and blue flashing lights in my rear view mirror. As the trooper was walking up to the truck I realized I didn't feel my wallet in my hip pocket. Seem one of my headlights was out. Got a warning ticket, turned around went home got my wallet. Thank you state trooper........my hunting license was in my wallet.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/26/14 04:10 AM

I forgot my bow release once and that was it. Still was able to pull it back and kill a doe last year on public land.

Re: Your "I almost forgot" list - 10/26/14 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I forgot my bow release once and that was it. Still was able to pull it back and kill a doe last year on public land.

Another critical item where it probably makes sense to keep a spare at camp just in case.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum