Texas Hunting Forum

wheeler county deer

Posted By: casti

wheeler county deer - 10/22/14 03:24 PM

Getting the chance to go out this weekend and hunt about 10 minutes from shamrock, wheeler county. Anybody hunted there before? How big are the deer and is the deer population any good??
Posted By: Gigemags05

Re: wheeler county deer - 10/22/14 07:19 PM

I hunt in Wheeler County. I haven't been up there in a little while and won't be back out there until opening day.

From my past experience, the deer are very big bodied. Huge. There are lots of good numbers and good deer out there.

Whether or not you will have a chance at a good buck will depend on the specific area you are hunting.
Posted By: Phlash

Re: wheeler county deer - 10/22/14 07:21 PM

The deer are good in this area of the panhandle. It is not unusual for the mature bucks to go over 180 lbs and score 150+. There are a lot of deer in Wheeler county. Mostly whitetails, but there are some mule deer in the river bottoms. I have hunted the eastern part of the county in the past. The issue you might have could be the oilfield activity. The place is jumping with service companies and drillers, so depending on where your hunting the deer may be highly alert.. Lodging is almost non-existant right now in the area. Good luck and give us a report when you get back.
Posted By: Satch

Re: wheeler county deer - 10/22/14 07:26 PM

The ranch I hunted I liked windy days the best. Deer would congregate in the feeder creek draws to the river. Yes big bodied deer there and huge coyotes.
Posted By: spartanhunter

Re: wheeler county deer - 10/22/14 07:57 PM

I hunted wheeler a few years back…never seen so many deer move in a one hour period…They were everywhere…very little cover but was amazing. Lots of stickers and thorny stuff..wear tall boots
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum