Texas Hunting Forum

Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc....

Posted By: John Humbert

Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/22/14 04:56 PM

Anybody heard anything about the Rifles Ranch in west Texas, maybe near Alpine. I have an opportunity for a 7 day primitive hunt for mulies, aoudad, elk, javis, and maybe (so I've been told) a Gemsbok. It should be a 23,000 acre ranch owned by Mason Wolf, Desert Wolf Outfitters.

Any information is appreciated.

When I say primitive, I mean no accommodations - camping, packing in own food/water. Think "Uncharted" smile

Supposed areas of the ranch rarely, if ever, hunted and not even well known - so I will be exploring as well as hunting. No telling what critters we might find.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/22/14 04:57 PM

I would give it a go.

be sure and pack accordingly
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/22/14 05:19 PM

Need someone to accompany you?
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/22/14 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: 338ultra

Yeah, no doubt. Sounds like my kind of adventure.
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/22/14 06:44 PM

Paradise

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/22/14 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: 338ultra

I might... Going through my buddy list first. Problems I'm hearing is that no one can take off 7-9 days from work during mulie season.
Posted By: RudyG55

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/23/14 01:35 AM

I use to go to school out there, it's beautiful country. Throw my name in with the other guys who will go with you. Awesome area to hunt.
Posted By: RossCravens

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/24/14 08:25 PM

What are you having to pay for the hunt? Is there a limit on how many heads can go?

This sounds like they kind of trip my buddies and I might want to do!

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/24/14 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: RossCravens
What are you having to pay for the hunt? Is there a limit on how many heads can go?

this is why I don't post things of this nature on the internet. you have a good thing going and post about it and then by the days end everyone is trying to get in on it
Posted By: RossCravens

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/24/14 11:17 PM

Sorry txtrophy85…I did not realize it was a secret spot. Just asking a simple question, there isn't a requirement to answer. It just sounded like something interesting.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/24/14 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

this is why I don't post things of this nature on the internet. you have a good thing going and post about it and then by the days end everyone is trying to get in on it

So, if he didn't post anything about it and came back at the end of the season complaining about his experience, you wouldn't be one of those that says "you should have come on here and checked for references"?

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/25/14 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

So, if he didn't post anything about it and came back at the end of the season complaining about his experience, you wouldn't be one of those that says "you should have come on here and checked for references"?

no, not at all. life is about trial and error.

now there are an unknown number of people that can contact the landowner knowing he offering some hunts on a west texas ranch.

Sometimes its in a persons best interest to keep things quiet

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/25/14 04:28 AM

Don't fret guys. This is a once-only trip being offered, they aren't selling hunts yet. It may be a total bust, I am taking a chance. Got the trip from a guy who couldn't go after he got the donated trip at fundraiser.

It's going to be a very tough and primitive hunt. More just helping explore the property, with an opportunity if it presents itself.
Posted By: mulie_mike

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/25/14 05:29 AM

John,
If this is the same "Desert Wolf Outfitting" I am thinking of then it is located just outside of Fabens Texas inside Sunset Ranches. Yes there a few mulies running around, the occasional Aoudad, and once in a long while a gemsbok. Be prepared though for 75 to 100 other hunters on the ranch during season. It's a total mad house free for all. The actual ranch is only a couple hundred acres and they are hunting the rest of the ranch since it is not fenced. I used to hunt near there and heard many horror stories. It's shot out to say the least. Maybe I'm wrong and it's someone else but do some more research and ask a bunch of questions is all I can recommend.

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/25/14 01:11 PM

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mason-wolf/34/433/292

Re: Rifles Ranch - West Texas Mulies, etc.... - 07/25/14 05:22 PM

Mike, thanks for the info - that's the sort of thing I was looking for. From what I was told, they sold the ranch in Fabens and this is a new property they bought just last year. But I am concerned that is "too good of a deal to be true" - I am taking a chance, because I what I got this for - if it a total bust, I won't be out much. Probably will spend more in gas driving there and back.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum