Texas Hunting Forum

Age?

Posted By: ChipChipperson45

Age? - 07/04/14 05:23 AM

Hi all. I've only been hunting a few years now and need some help aging this buck. Also, can you explain how you come up with the age you think this buck is?

Also, I know deer will shed a coat, but this buck looks kinda funky. Or is this normal?

Posted By: krod777

Re: Age? - 07/04/14 07:06 AM

3 yr old.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Age? - 07/04/14 12:00 PM

At first glance that deer looks to a be a mature 5 yr old in those pics to me. I would not argue that he was a 4 yr old either. He also looks like he is going to be a nontypical with several extra points. Hair coat is normal looking for deer in the summer.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Age? - 07/04/14 12:39 PM

My guess, without teeth, would be 2 years. The relatively long thin neck, long legs, and shallow body type all point to a younger deer. There isn't that much brisket, and there isn't much sag on the belly. The antlers are going to be big, but that isn't a good indicator of age. It might be a hungry 3-yr old, but given all the green in the picture, it seems like there is plenty to eat.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Age? - 07/04/14 01:07 PM

Deer in the summer always look younger that what they generally are.
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Age? - 07/04/14 05:02 PM

my first thought was a 3 year old as well. the only thing that makes me think he is a 4 year old is his face. his hocks are light in color, his brisket is dented in pretty good, straight back and no pot belly. I'm going to stick to 3 year old. no waffles
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Age? - 07/04/14 06:04 PM

My guess is that if he sticks around until September, all the guesses will be completely different and probably 2 years older than the guesses now. Tough to judge age on Summer deer. For now, I will say 5 to save myself the embarrassment of having to change as the season gets close grin
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Age? - 07/05/14 12:32 PM

I will say 4.5. Could be a year older. Once he starts rubbing and his neck muscles back up he will probably look fiveish.
Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: Age? - 07/05/14 03:25 PM

5, looks like several of his tines are going to split.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Age? - 07/05/14 04:04 PM

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Age? - 07/05/14 04:08 PM

My first thought was he looks on the older side, and my second thought was are you in an AR county, because in these pics it looks like he would be close.
Posted By: OneShotSam

Re: Age? - 07/05/14 04:42 PM

4 yo
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Age? - 07/07/14 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Deer in the summer always look younger that what they generally are.

^^This^^ X2
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Age? - 07/07/14 03:12 PM

Looks like 5 to me. He'll show his age more in a few months.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Age? - 07/07/14 03:13 PM

Deer age just like people do, lines saging fill out etc.

Looking at his head it doesn't look long and pointy anymore, his neck is fuller and appears to approach the point of his brisket more and for a free range low fence non protein raised deer he appears to have a little bit of a belly to me. I would say 4 or older and like others have said the summer deer usually look considerably younger than what they will look like in a couple months.
Posted By: Kenneth1977

Re: Age? - 07/07/14 03:59 PM

3.5 not any difference between summer or winter to me their face and other parts of their body dont change .
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Age? - 07/07/14 04:14 PM

4yr old...

Their face will not change but their body structure will... mainly drop the fat and put on the muscle

Re: Age? - 07/07/14 04:18 PM

I don't know how you can honestly say you don't think their bodies change?
Posted By: JMalin

Re: Age? - 07/08/14 12:36 AM

At least 4. Wouldn't be surprised if he was much older. He has a tired look about him. Wouldn't go out on a limb for him until I saw some other replies...
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Age? - 07/08/14 03:42 AM

Mature. I would say at least 4. Wrinkled neck, pot belly, big shoulders and brisket, face has a roman nose and loose skin. He could be 5 or older but without a history on him I would just go with mature. As stated before, lots of folks look at a buck's neck in the summer and say it is a young deer.

He has a normal summer coat.
Posted By: ChipChipperson45

Re: Age? - 07/09/14 02:13 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll post pics in the fall if I can get more photos of him.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Age? - 07/09/14 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Kenneth1977
3.5 not any difference between summer or winter to me their face and other parts of their body dont change .

What?
Posted By: therancher

Re: Age? - 07/09/14 02:50 AM

Probably 4.

But other than really old or really young you're just pi$$in in the wind trying to age summer bucks. ALL deer necks are skinny in the summer.

You can tell with brisket and saggy skin on OLD deer and long legs on YOUNG deer. But trying to nail a middle age deer is just futile in the summer.

Re: Age? - 07/09/14 03:01 AM

Bet peep
Posted By: therancher

Re: Age? - 07/09/14 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Bet peep

Bet what? You and I both have him at 4. I'll admit that it can go a year either way. He's middle age.

And I don't believe anyone can hit it everytime on middle age bucks.

Re: Age? - 07/09/14 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Bet peep

Bet what? You and I both have him at 4. I'll admit that it can go a year either way. He's middle age.

And I don't believe anyone can hit it everytime on middle age bucks.

cheers I kid I kid

Re: Age? - 07/09/14 02:44 PM

Lots of things can make them look different to me. Deer raised on a heavy diet of protein always seem to have a belly to me, even when young. Non supplemental fed deer can look the exact same to me for several years in a row. It helps to have background with the property and deer if possible. And they are still educated guesses.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum