Texas Hunting Forum

Where is your feeder in relation to your stand

Posted By: jbrooks

Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 12:51 AM

Right now my feeder is southeast of my stand. We have a south southwest wind most of the time. Problem with current location is sun rising in the morning. Thinking of moving it due south. Southwest and I think I catch the setting sun.

What's your set up?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 01:30 AM

All of ours are south-southwest of stands. Seems to work well.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 01:44 AM

NE & N
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 01:44 AM

Northeast/east for north or southeast winds on a couple and northwest on one for north and west winds.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
NE & N
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 02:20 AM

I put mine just off to the side of the road to wear I can hunt a south east wind
Posted By: jaymz

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 02:25 AM

Depends on if you are bow hunting or not... I like having my stand southwest of my feeder if im in a blind... like watching the sun come up at an angle in the am.

Bow hunting, I want the stand south east of the feeder to avoid the glare.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 03:03 AM

1 facing west and 1 facing north. Don't think it matters to much but that just me... I can see multple directions while in both of them. Both my stand are also playing the wind.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 03:10 AM

Stand placement for us depends on geography and prevailing winds. Normally though feeders are set to the south/southwest. Bow season is a different story as well have a NE and SW setup. A lot depends on your cover, terrain and stand set up. Biggest deer I shot was with a wind at my back in a tripod, but shot was down a 40 foot draw and thermals kept my scent above. There was high humidity that day as well. I'll still play the wind first on set up as a rule, but at the end of the day it all depends on geography.

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 03:19 AM

Geography is flat with lots of thick mesquites and cedars with senderos cut through the property. Right now my feeder is on the edge of the sendero and stand is 30 yards from the edge. Im strugling with the setup in my head. I want to put the stand on the edge of cover and move the feeder out in the open.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 03:23 AM

I have one stand set up to hunt N, W and SW. Other stand is set up to hunt S, E, and SW. I put my feed at the edge of the woods and stand in the open (or as close to the edge as I can). I try to use natural barriers to limit deer movement behind the stand; fence, pond, open country, etc.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 03:26 AM

If hunting a couple of trails coming in to the feeder is possible that's what I will do. Also, I like to put down some rye or oats to make little plots back in cover on the way to the feeder and hunt those. Often the bucks will mill about through those or cruise the does on those before shooting light starts to fail and offer shots I wouldn't get at the feeders.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 03:31 AM

How does one "hunt" over a feeder? popcorn
Posted By: KG68

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 03:38 AM

We sit our stands up facing either north or south to accommodate afternoon or morning hunters and furnish cardboard cutout to size to help block sunlight for either morning or afternoon hunters.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 04:03 AM

to the NW and NE
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip

Same way one would "hunt" over an ag field, watering hole, or any other attractant up

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Same way one would "hunt" over an ag field, watering hole, or any other attractant up

confused2nideaFrom a tall tree............ grin
Posted By: GLC

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 12:16 PM

Most of my feeders have two stands, tripod and or ground blind, in different wind directions so regardless of what the wind is I always have somewhere to hunt. This is mainly because I bow hunt and wind plays a big issue at 30 yards.

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC
Most of my feeders have two stands, tripod and or ground blind, in different wind directions so regardless of what the wind is I always have somewhere to hunt. This is mainly because I bow hunt and wind plays a big issue at 30 yards.

I am bowhunting also. Thats why I ask.

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: jbrooks

Then IMO it would be more important to have more than one feeder also. Deer can pattern you better than you pattern them. You have to get into that one location and get out of it every time you hunt. The more trips the more likely you will have to spook a deer. You will leave scent every time in and out no matter how careful you are. The more you hunt that one location the more you leave.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 02:29 PM

question, stxranchman:

That buck I was after last year hit my feeder every damn day during the summer. I was out there all the time filling feeders, etc, but it never seemed to bother him. Every day, he hit the feeder 2-3 times.

Why did he completely bolt the one time he smelled me bowseason opener? I'm certain I walked up him at least a couple of times during the summer.

Perplexing.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 02:36 PM

Take away your rifle stands and hide a lock on WAY up in a tree... less human activity the better unless this is a working ranch that's being drove on everyday
This one I don't even have a ladder on so its just another tree...

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
question, stxranchman:

That buck I was after last year hit my feeder every damn day during the summer. I was out there all the time filling feeders, etc, but it never seemed to bother him. Every day, he hit the feeder 2-3 times.

Why did he completely bolt the one time he smelled me bowseason opener? I'm certain I walked up him at least a couple of times during the summer.

Perplexing.

They don't get old from being lucky!

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 02:57 PM

question, stxranchman:

Perplexing.

I think jshouse would be better at answering this than me bolt grin
Mature deer are just different when the seasons change and hunting season gets closer. If they are smart enough to get to an older age they have figured out the hunters in areas with a lot of hunting pressure. IMO peoples routines change when deer season starts or approaches. Those daytime trips now are in darkness and not in the daylight as much. In some instances the daylight activity is even more now that they are hunting. They just have to drive around to see what they might see. I have seen deer movement change dramatically after the first week of the season when hunters start running around in the darkness to head to and from stands. I try to make trips before daylight and after dark year round if I can to keep that pattern. I use a roadfeeder to help with that issue also. The more often I feed the more deer I start to see as the temps cool down and the rut approaches.

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
question, stxranchman:

Perplexing.

I think jshouse would be better at answering this than me bolt grin
Mature deer are just different when the seasons change and hunting season gets closer. If they are smart enough to get to an older age they have figured out the hunters in areas with a lot of hunting pressure. IMO peoples routines change when deer season starts or approaches. Those daytime trips now are in darkness and not in the daylight as much. In some instances the daylight activity is even more now that they are hunting. They just have to drive around to see what they might see. I have seen deer movement change dramatically after the first week of the season when hunters start running around in the darkness to head to and from stands. I try to make trips before daylight and after dark year round if I can to keep that pattern. I use a roadfeeder to help with that issue also. The more often I feed the more deer I start to see as the temps cool down and the rut approaches.

roflmao ouch

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 03:05 PM

peep but there is hope I have heard whistle
Posted By: GLC

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: jbrooks

Then IMO it would be more important to have more than one feeder also. Deer can pattern you better than you pattern them. You have to get into that one location and get out of it every time you hunt. The more trips the more likely you will have to spook a deer. You will leave scent every time in and out no matter how careful you are. The more you hunt that one location the more you leave.

Agree on the multiple feeders. I have different combinations but here is some ideas. I normally hunt tripods but have some ground blinds also. For morning hunts I like to have a stand where I am looking west to the feeder. That way deer are looking into the sun towards where I am to the east. Same for afternoon hunts. I like to have a stand where I am looking east for the same reason. Also make sure you are in or on something where they cannot silhouette you. Of course wind is really the key. Most of my bow stands are in a variation of directions facing north,west or east of the feeders due to early season hunting is normally south,south west or south east wind. But you also have to take in account trails as deer come to or leave a food source or bedding. Sometime the planets have to align up almost perfectly to accomplish your hunt when bow hunting. That is why it is pretty important to have multiple stands and feeders when bow hunting. Also bear in mind your scent stays around a pretty long time in the area that you just hunted. It is handy to be able to hunt another area just to let an area chill for a while.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 03:22 PM

The front of the feeder pen is 138 yards SSW of my box blind.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 04:21 PM

You play 'Angry birds' on your I phone while sipping a cool one.

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 04:23 PM

No no that's cheating... hunting is walking around and accidently crossing paths with an animal.... then hope you hit it..... everything else is wrong... WRONG

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

No no that's cheating... hunting is walking around and accidently crossing paths with an animal.... then hope you hit it..... everything else is wrong... WRONG

Don't listen to this guy I think all hunters are equally not equal

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 04:57 PM

Wait...what the...

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 04:58 PM

whistle
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

whistle

up

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake

whistle

up

moose

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

confused2nideaFrom a tall short tree............ grin

My bad Nav, I forgot who I was quoting grin but the rest of your post I agree with cheers

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 06:05 PM

roflmao roflmao clap
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 07:33 PM

question, stxranchman:

Perplexing.

1. Higher concentration of funk smell.
2. His mama ran him off.

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
question, stxranchman:

Perplexing.

1. Higher concentration of funk smell.
2. His mama ran him off.
3. He was killed and did not make Ar's...SSS, never to be seen again

peep
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/15/14 10:38 PM

Nobody could keep their mouth shut here if he was killed.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/28/14 08:52 PM

Our preferred direction is South looking North. Prevailing wind for our lease is Southerly. All blinds are 4x6 ground fully enclosed. However, terrain and trees dictate location for each.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/28/14 08:53 PM

Our preferred direction is South looking North. Prevailing wind for our lease is Southerly. All blinds are 4x6 ground fully enclosed. However, terrain and trees dictate location for each.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/30/14 01:35 PM

Our prevailing winds are north and south. Set our blinds up east and west of feeders so no matter the wind it will be ok.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/30/14 01:36 PM

whistle

do we need to see pictures?
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 04/30/14 06:37 PM

I have two stands at every feeder: 1 southeast of the feeder and the other Northwest.

Our winds are predominantly Northwest and Southeast so I make a setup for both conditions. This has worked out for me very well in the past.
Posted By: mideon2000

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/01/14 12:16 PM

right on my neighbors fenceline
Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/03/14 04:12 PM

Feeder set up about 50 yards from my stand location.
But really makes no difference- feeder has to be removed AND no additional feedings minimum of 30 days before site can be hunted.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/04/14 07:43 PM

Right here in the middle
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/06/14 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: mideon2000
right on my neighbors fenceline

x2
roflmao
Posted By: bjones2571

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/06/14 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: nuprofessor
But really makes no difference- feeder has to be removed AND no additional feedings minimum of 30 days before site can be hunted.

why?
Posted By: duckboy007

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/06/14 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: bjones2571

why?

I assume its illegal to hunt deer over bait there.
Posted By: JBJTX81

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/13/14 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
1 facing west and 1 facing north. Don't think it matters to much but that just me... I can see multple directions while in both of them. Both my stand are also playing the wind.

very similar one facing west one facing south. I can hunt any wind and not disturb 99% of the deer coming/leaving my hunting location.
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/13/14 06:39 PM

I got lucky and the guys that hunt with me built most the stands out there, so I only had to make one.....

So I made it ...um.. HUGE.. lol

It will have 3 feed pens, each about 36 feet across.. and a creek on the other side.

R
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/14/14 09:24 PM

20yrds to the NE of the feeder. Predominant wind is S/SW
Posted By: passthru

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/15/14 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: duckboy007
Originally Posted By: bjones2571

why?

I assume its illegal to hunt deer over bait there.

They have giant feeders in Nebraska. They are called corn fields.
Posted By: Hollerpoint

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/15/14 12:09 AM

My stand roves on all 4 wheels.
Posted By: 817cd

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/15/14 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Hollerpoint
My stand roves on all 4 wheels.
up
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Where is your feeder in relation to your stand - 05/15/14 04:08 PM

I have two feeders on my box blind. I'm at the corner of two pipeline right-of-way clearings, about 50 yards from a light traffic dirt road. Timber and oil trucks are through all the time, so the deer don't care or notice my pickup driving in on the road. I'm close to the road because I don't walk that well.

One feeder is down the hill, on a flat near an almost all weather creek. It's about 75 yards due west. I can see well beyond that feeder as the pipeline goes up the opposite hill. I could shoot up to 300 yards there and be well below the crest of the hill. The amount of traffic as deer moved north and south through the woods is amazing! Early morning sun puts a spotlight on the far hill, while I'm still hidden in shadow. The second feeder is north, about 100 yards also in a slight draw. I have a ladder tree stand there, about 30 yards away in the edge of the woods on the east side of the clearing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum