Texas Hunting Forum

To late to hunt sheds?

Posted By: Tree_fish

To late to hunt sheds? - 04/08/14 02:10 PM

This will be my first year to hunt deer and I'm trying to go about the right way. So I'm planning a trip to do some scouting and am wondering if it's to late in the year to look for sheds?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/08/14 02:21 PM

Not too late, the sheds will last quite a while on the ground in most places. saw 3 bucks 2 weeks ago 2 had shed while one still had his antlers. It is easier to find the sheds before the grass gets too tall but they are out there to find.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/08/14 02:35 PM

Never too late to hunt sheds!!!
Posted By: KCH

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/08/14 02:45 PM

No...get out and find them! Found a small half of a six point last August so its not too late...
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/08/14 04:11 PM

Found one on a fence line Saturday.
Posted By: klp

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/08/14 04:20 PM

What is the strategy to find sheds. I walked around about 1-1.5 hours. found some scrapes but no sheds (i looked hard). Found a little 3 point shed last month (just by luck)
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/08/14 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: klp
I walked around...

That's my strategy.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/08/14 05:04 PM

Not to late to look for sheds.
What is the strategy to find sheds. I walked around about 1-1.5 hours. found some scrapes but no sheds (i looked hard). Found a little 3 point shed last month (just by luck)

Look for food sources with fresh tracks and droppings or even beds in them. Work the trails in and out of the food source. Water is a key spot to look on the trails in and out also. Low spots, roads, or fences where deer will run across or jump causing them to loose antlers. Don't look right close but get as far as 50 yards or more away down the crossing or trails. Deer will jar an antler loose and shake it off away from the location.
Posted By: tlk

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/08/14 06:32 PM

we have most luck around our feed pens. Also trails to and from the pens. Around a stock tank and fence lines - lots of walking. Also don't look for an entire antler - many times you will just see a tine in order to find the entire side
Posted By: jshouse

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/08/14 07:24 PM

watch for ticks! i had 5 of them on my leg the other day at my lease, done shed hunting there. i dont do ticks.
Posted By: n-all

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/08/14 11:36 PM

ours are still sporting theirs..never too late..
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/09/14 12:26 AM

If you are shed hunting where there are squirrels, you will be competing with them. Squirrels like to gnaw on antlers--I guess to wear their teeth down. Rabbits have a similar need to keep their teeth worn down, so they may do the same thing, but I'm not sure.
Posted By: Bulldog4949

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/09/14 01:37 AM

Never too late to start looking. Grass growing makes it tough, but take your time and cover every good area.
Posted By: Antler Addicts

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/09/14 06:05 AM

We found 6 sheds this past weekend around a watering hole. A lot of times you will find them by luck. Hit up your water sources, creek, field edges, known trails, fence lines. Other than these tips you just have to put in the time and effort like anything else! Good luck!
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/09/14 02:26 PM

Found two sheds turkey hunting the other day. The small bucks I saw still had there antlers.
Posted By: klp

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/10/14 06:46 AM

I hiked through are thicket parts and didn't find anything. We either have areas that have a lot of brush or areas that are clear with tall grass. I tend to just go out walking through the brush to find it but then got to wondering if i should look in the grass area. I feel it is loose loose. Either look in the thick brush (where i also compete with dead cedar that can look like sheds) or look in open tall grass. We have one main water trough (no pond) that i will look around and see what i find.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/10/14 01:06 PM

I used to average around 3-4 hrs per shed when just walking around at random. When I started to concentrate on areas that had bedding cover (day or at night) then I found more. When deer feed in open taller grassy areas at night they will be there. Same for the thicker bedding areas. I found many between feeding/bedding areas when I was able establish those areas. Short grass and more open areas makes the sheds easier to see and find. Staging areas this time of the year around feeders, food plots, native food sources or water are great areas to look also. Those staging areas tend to be around a 100 yards more or less from the area they are moving into to feed or water. If that source is there year round the sheds will be in the same location year after year. It will be downwind (use your prevailing wind) from the feed or water source.
Posted By: BigMarsh72

Re: To late to hunt sheds? - 04/23/14 04:01 PM

I think it would be cool to go shed hunting with a dog that is trained to find sheds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum