Texas Hunting Forum

Apples and Oats horse feed for deer?

Posted By: Pope&Young

Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 01/24/14 10:12 PM

Has anyone ever used Purina’s Dobbins Delights - Apples and Oats horse treats to attract deer?

I found these at Tractor supply if they would work confused2

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/purinareg%3B-dobbins-delights-apple--oat-flavored-horse-treats#
Posted By: GHale

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 01/25/14 12:40 PM

I have used Dobbins Delight and the deer seem to love them. At least they were gone the next day when I put them out around my feeder and on the roadways. By the way, feeders were in a fenced pen to keep the hogs out.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 01/25/14 01:03 PM

I've used sweet feed with great results. Deer walk past corn to get to it.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 01/25/14 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
I've used sweet feed with great results. Deer walk past corn to get to it.

yep...never used the apple stuff but i am sure it would work as wel.

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 01/27/14 06:44 PM

The reason for my question, when I was at tractor supply I noticed a really strong smell of apples and found it to be the apples and oats horse feed. I’ve had good luck with apple scented corn for deer and was thinking it just may be worth a try.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 01/28/14 09:18 PM

I think that they would eat it just fine. X3 on the sweet feed.
Posted By: LittleD

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 01/29/14 02:14 PM

I used them before, they will eat them.
Posted By: Old Goat

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 02/05/14 02:51 PM

they should work just fine. deer love apples and oats.
Posted By: 817cd

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 02/05/14 02:56 PM

put some in a bowl with milk and you have breakfast too.
Posted By: TyBU

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 02/05/14 03:26 PM

The deer love horse sweet feed. I watched them fight over it while I had 50 lbs of corn spread out on the ground. Too bad its expensive and will clog up your feeders but other than that the deer love it.
Posted By: WhitetailFreak

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 02/21/14 10:36 PM

It's worth a try. they should love it.

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 02/24/14 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TyBU
The deer love horse sweet feed. I watched them fight over it while I had 50 lbs of corn spread out on the ground. Too bad its expensive and will clog up your feeders but other than that the deer love it.

These cubes are too big to run threw a feeder so I was thinking of pouring them on the ground.
Posted By: n-all

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 02/26/14 01:36 AM

coons will thank you..
Posted By: iluv2hunt

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 02/26/14 06:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
Originally Posted By: TyBU

These cubes are too big to run threw a feeder so I was thinking of pouring them on the ground.

I've been doing this for years. I purchase a couple 50 lb. bags of horse and mule sweet feed and spread it under the feeders. The deer go nuts over it. and will come back for more. It works very well at the last 3 places we have hunted and the last being Coleman. The deer love the molassis surip in the feed. When I go to my blind I'll take a 2 gallon bucket full of sweet feed and pour it around the feeder and the deer will clean up every grain or pellet every time. It's candy to them. I use Purina sweet feed. I'm sure any brand horse and mule sweet feed will work. Also the grains they dont eat will germinate and start to grow which is another plus.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Apples and Oats horse feed for deer? - 02/27/14 12:57 AM

I put out Dobbins during deer season..... the coons loved the treat I set out for them smile
roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum