Texas Hunting Forum

Eastland county...

Posted By: deerslayer78

Eastland county... - 12/29/13 01:37 PM

Well guys I have hunted very hard and as scent free as one can be and I can tell you that I am not impressed at the slightest by Eastland county. I keep hearing the same ole jive. Be patient (I can and have sat my blind all day without a noise), change your feeder times (have been set at 6am & 4pm) and the best of all, drumroll please... You must be doing something wrong! Well I am an experienced hunter and the deer here on my 178 acre lease are nearly all nocturnal. I have 3 sightings between 3 different cams of a deer during daylight. Even the hogs are only feeding here at night. I am at my wits end. The only option I have is to move in on the fence line into the woods and scout a spot there. I have to say that this is the first year I have ever been skunked. Hope all of you have had better luck this season. Happy New Year fellas.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Eastland county... - 12/29/13 01:52 PM

Sorry about all your hunting woes. Stinks when you get in a bad place (county)...makes my decision if looking for land in eastland a little easier. Won't be looking hard there for sure!

Good luck, keep your chin up and keep fighting the fight. It's all you can do at this point.
Posted By: deerslayer78

Re: Eastland county... - 12/29/13 01:57 PM

Thanks Texas Buckeye. Yeah I have heard a lot of the same from too many hunters in this area. Deer have been nocturnal here since the start of gun season and not just my lease. One deer or hog would have settled my mind down a little, but I guess that is too much to ask for.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Eastland county... - 12/29/13 02:07 PM

Sorry to hear that DS78, I have been hunting just out of Eastland for the last 10 years and have always got at least 1 deer. Hope you get a better spot next year.
Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Eastland county... - 12/29/13 02:09 PM

I live and hunt here and these are the issues:
1) a lot of pressure
2) dependent on weather....even though we are in a drought, we had timely rains, therefor the deer didn't have to feed at the feeders confused2
3)AR's....I'm not totally convinced yet
4)hogs can straight up ruin a deer lease IMO

For a bullet to meet up with anything requires the stars to align and there are so many variables involved. I'm sorry for your poor luck.
Posted By: Buck Wilde

Re: Eastland county... - 12/29/13 06:36 PM

neighboring properties might be offering better cover and food opportunities. Is it your first year on it?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum