Texas Hunting Forum

Rut in Southern Duval County?

Posted By: tremcotexas

Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/11/13 01:39 PM

Checking to see what rut activity is out there? We have seen a few signs but looking for feedback on when the peak might be based off what others are seeing. Thanks!
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/11/13 01:55 PM

Tremco, I had early chasing during that cold spell over Thanksgiving down in Zapata/Webb county line. The doe were not receptive but the bucks were frisky. History shows from about mid-Dec. until New Years is rutting time, with our peak generally right up till about X-Mas over the 35+ years I've hunted down there. Would think Duval is about the same.
Posted By: curt o

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/11/13 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Tremco, I had early chasing during that cold spell over Thanksgiving down in Zapata/Webb county line. The doe were not receptive but the bucks were frisky. History shows from about mid-Dec. until New Years is rutting time, with our peak generally right up till about X-Mas over the 35+ years I've hunted down there. Would think Duval is about the same.

Spot on.
Posted By: spibiggie

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/11/13 03:00 PM

Yep, as a rule, the "old guys" always told me to count on the rut starting around Dec 15th. Freer
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/11/13 03:22 PM

We were down at our place in Duval last weekend. Some of the young bucks had dark hocks some didn't. No chasing was seen. The bucks are definitely out of their groups though. Another week or so and I think it will be on.
Posted By: Mikeflies

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/11/13 07:53 PM

I have hunted in this area for 15 years and the week before Christmas, It's On...I bet this weekend you will start to see some activity and then next week the rut will be on. Good luck.
Posted By: TexastoaD

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/11/13 08:15 PM

all info is good!

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/12/13 05:16 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I can't head back until the 20th so I'm glad to know it should be good timing. It's our first year on our lease and so far we have some great young bucks... We are hoping the rut might make one or two of the old guys we haven't seen yet come out of the brush!
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/12/13 03:10 PM

We're 3 miles from Palito Blanco. On Saturday, I saw a 2.5 years old buck with dark hocks. He was alone. I'm headed out tomorrow evening. I'll report what I see.

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/13/13 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Luke
We're 3 miles from Palito Blanco. On Saturday, I saw a 2.5 years old buck with dark hocks. He was alone. I'm headed out tomorrow evening. I'll report what I see.
Lol My old stomping grounds out there.

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/13/13 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: TexastoaD

A lot of poachers and thieves out there in addition to deer and pigs. haha

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/16/13 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: TexastoaD

A lot of poachers and thieves out there in addition to deer and pigs. haha
You got that right, better keep you crap locked up and out of sight....
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/16/13 05:15 PM

for duval county reports I always rely on www.poachercentral.net

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/16/13 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: kyle1974
for duval county reports I always rely on www.poachercentral.net

The website isn't working. haha
Posted By: wildcats09

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/17/13 05:37 AM

hey guys, new member and first post! i also havent seen any activity down in the webb area lately and was wondering the same thing, just saw the first monster buck out here Sat. and i shot and missed him, so im pretty ticked right now, but hoping to get out there just after christmas and hopefully get him, hopefully it will be the perfect time

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/17/13 07:46 AM

Welcome Wildcats09! We have been seeing some early signs and a few bucks starting to chase does over the last few weeks but our expectations are that it will be in full swing when we get back out there on the 20th and last until after Christmas. Best of luck to you... And if you get a good one make sure you post up some pics!!!
Posted By: Greytshot

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/19/13 09:55 PM

Just got back today from Southeast Duval. We saw two bucks paired up and couldn't tell if their hocks were stained. No chasing.

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/20/13 03:19 AM

Thanks... Headed out tomorrow through Monday... Fingers crossed that it's ramping up!
Posted By: TTKII

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/20/13 04:28 AM

Not chasing yet. Had a few nosing around last weekend. Should kick off good Sunday/Monday and run through New Years according to past seasons and all of the old timers
Posted By: AO2000

Re: Rut in Southern Duval County? - 12/20/13 05:58 AM

I have video of two younger smaller bucks sparring and playing around.. This was last Saturday morning.. The smaller of the two was trying to get it in with a few does, but they weren't having it.. Ill try and post the video it time permits...

We have seen some newer deer so hopefully the trend continues..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum