Texas Hunting Forum

Met the Game Warden.

Posted By: wlldraper

Met the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 05:43 PM

We were out at the lease Sunday getting things ready and the Game Warden pulled into camp. We are in Mills County, fella by name of Vance Flowers. Seemed to be a good guy. If your hunting in the Caradan/Mt Olive Cementary keep in mind there is some tresspassers and road hunters going around. He has some photos. If you mind your business and abide by law should have no problems. Mr Flowers seemed easy going he hung around camp for an hour or so. It was a nice visit.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 05:47 PM

Was there a smell of BBQ in the air about that time? peep grin Most of them are really good guys that are just doing their job.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 05:52 PM

not only good guys but do it for very little pay and a tough schedule - night work, etc. Plus they have to go into a camp with guys with guns and who knows how much booze has been downed at times - my respect for GW's
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 06:05 PM

Very little pay? They get paid pretty good.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 06:10 PM

Where I went to school, the aspiring game wardens were hardcore hunters to a man...and very human. I heard more speculation from that crowd than any other over the prospect of sniping one of the pronghorn that were frequently seen just off campus, or one of the deer that were often seen hanging around in someone's front yard. They were quite a bunch.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 06:11 PM

I have yet to meet a rude GW. And I have been checked many times from 12 yrs old to 40, all have been very professional & courteous. Have had a couple that would frequent our camp at about 10 am to have breakfast with us. I bet they get alot of great free meals.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 06:17 PM

the only rude one I met was on Lake Bridgeport. He has somewhat of a reputation there. other than him all have been very professional.
Posted By: Paluxy300blk

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 06:25 PM

It's always a pleasure to hear of nice encounters with game wardens. Most are regular folks like you and me trying to make a living.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 06:30 PM

I personally know a GW and he is one of the best guys that I know. I have had several run ins with them. Nothing bad, just getting checked. I have gotten a ticket for a boating violation(no registration) and the GW actually assisted me in getting it dropped since it was not my boat and I was driving several drunks from one party back to their camp at the lake.

I have ran into one several times in Hill County that was far from nice. My experience wasnt bad, he was just doing his job and checking on us however he could have been a little more friendly.

I have a high appreciation of them and what they do and I try to stay in good with them.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 06:57 PM

Never seen one while hunting, been checked numerous times while fishing, but never got a ticket or anything. Most are nice and once they see you have most of your chit in order will just have a nice short conversation and be on their way.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: S.A. hunter

must have changed then - my son is a deputy sheriff and a few years back he was considering being a GW but the pay was super low compared to other law enforcement salaries
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 07:01 PM

Actually hoping to meet the GW out by my place. Have yet too. I think its an important thing to have happen
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 07:02 PM

We have a good one here in Stephens county too, and I consider him a friend..Goes above and beyond being nice to my dove hunters. He's also helped out on a couple of situations I've encountered.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 07:04 PM

Stompy,

I'm east of Woodson but in Young County by a couple of miles. Same guy? If so, PM please.

Thank you !

4W
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Never seen one while hunting, been checked numerous times while fishing, but never got a ticket or anything. Most are nice and once they see you have most of your chit in order will just have a nice short conversation and be on their way.

Same here. I've been checked numerous times while fishing out on the LLM. They have even checked my USCG captain's license when I bring clients back to the dock.
I've invited the local GW to our ranch, but he's never come by. I guess the smoke from our BBQ pits doesn't drift his way. lol

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk

must have changed then - my son is a deputy sheriff and a few years back he was considering being a GW but the pay was super low compared to other law enforcement salaries

I checked the GW pay scale and they start off after probationary period at around $48,000 per year so it has improved a lot in recent years
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/28/13 08:25 PM

chef
Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 12:37 AM

Never had a problem with a GW, I have a lot of respect for them .
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
I have yet to meet a rude GW. And I have been checked many times from 12 yrs old to 40, all have been very professional & courteous. Have had a couple that would frequent our camp at about 10 am to have breakfast with us. I bet they get alot of great free meals.

Then you've never met Leroy.
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 01:18 AM

Got checked by one in red river co a few years ago while coyote hunting and he was not very nice! I was accused of doing everything but coyote hunting. Ive met some that was cool and others that were not so nice ....
Posted By: Franklin517

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 02:10 AM

Most are great guys
Posted By: majekman

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 02:13 AM

Down here on the coast we have some good ones. Many props to em'....

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 02:17 AM

i really enjoyed our visit. He is welcome in our camp any time, and I told him so. I applaud the job they do. And your right they generally encounter people who are armed.
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 03:16 AM

We're lucky in Mills County, he comes by our camps and spends a hour or two once a year. Spends 10 minutes getting formalities out of the way and then hangs around and shoots the breeze. Officer Flowers is a good one, but I would hate to be on his bad side.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 04:10 AM

I know some folks that have been on his bad side. But he's got a job to do and I respect that. If I'm doing something wrong the I did that to myself.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal
Got checked by one in red river co a few years ago while coyote hunting and he was not very nice! I was accused of doing everything but coyote hunting. Ive met some that was cool and others that were not so nice ....

I've had a run in with him too, he wasn't the nicest and it sure didn't help that he backed his truck into a tree in my buddies circle drive way...

Walter
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 04:24 AM

I'd much rather meet the GW and know who he/she is than never meet em. If you get em to talking, they'll teach ya tons of stuff about the area if you need it. We got pull over leaving Coleman county because my buddy insists on NOT wearing a seat belt on the passenger side, before we knew it he was helping us look at our GPS photos and trying to get a feel of the lay of the land better. I don't remember his name but right around Cisco is where he was.

Oh and he finally put his stinkin seatbelt on. Too bad it takes a LEO telling him to do so to get him to do it. I try and ask what he would do if I rolled the truck by accident. I get no answer every time, but I know he thinks of his kiddos. Maybe one day he'll wise up
Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 04:30 AM

About 8 yrs ago while hunting outside of junction during youth weekend my then 5year old son killed his first buck . We took the deer to the local deer processor who are very very good people and when we got there of course there lots of congrats and slaps on the back from lots of hunters . My son was on cloud 9 for sure and I was a very proud father . You know it was just one of those days that ill never forget . Then while all these guys were gathered around the truck the local game warden came over and while I expected for my son to get a congrats from him . The guy just totally grilled my son about did you shoot this deer or did your dad and at first i thought he was joking but no he really turn a great time into an awkward situation and I was plenty P.O. When I told my landlord about it he filed a complaint but nothing ever came of it.
Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: unclebubba

pulnick?

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 04:37 AM

Any of y'all ever run into mike pike?
Posted By: bigpigtx

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70
About 8 yrs ago while hunting outside of junction during youth weekend my then 5year old son killed his first buck . We took the deer to the local deer processor who are very very good people and when we got there of course there lots of congrats and slaps on the back from lots of hunters . My son was on cloud 9 for sure and I was a very proud father . You know it was just one of those days that ill never forget . Then while all these guys were gathered around the truck the local game warden came over and while I expected for my son to get a congrats from him . The guy just totally grilled my son about did you shoot this deer or did your dad and at first i thought he was joking but no he really turn a great time into an awkward situation and I was plenty P.O. When I told my landlord about it he filed a complaint but nothing ever came of it.

So do you mind if I go shoot a bunch of deer on my kiddo's tags? I mean if it's so offensive to ask who's gonna find out?

I used to get offended when I got "carded"...until I turned 21.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 04:54 AM

We typically get a few visits every year. They go through our books and wander around camp, then sit around and bs with us awhile. We encourage them to return and at times they even have a reason to write a ticket. We have a new one out of the academy last September and he seems like another good one. Only had one bad one and he didn't last long, but that was 15 years ago or so.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 04:56 AM

Originally Posted By: bigpigtx

So do you mind if I go shoot a bunch of deer on my kiddo's tags? I mean if it's so offensive to ask who's gonna find out?

I used to get offended when I got "carded"...until I turned 21.

I understand the asking Bigpig, but sometimes a little tact can go a long ways. As in all professions, some are better than others at that.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 04:57 AM

That's funny big pig ! And no I didn't mind him asking at all or checking the tag or his license but if you think it's ok for game warden to act like a turd and grill a 5 year old kid who has done nothing wrong then you have a serious problem . And maybe I didn't make it clear but he flat out scared my son and and just kept asking and I finally just said really dude you want to give him a polygraph I mean My gosh it was a 3.5 year old 4 pt not exactly a monster somebody would shoot out of season and then take to the processor and have his 5 year old lie about it .
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: tlk

GW salaries are pretty good , a lot more than any SO I've ever heard of but some Pd in big cities pay more than GW.
Posted By: bigpigtx

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 05:10 AM

If he was a jerk that's wrong. If the complaint was legitimate it probably got canned because it wasn't made by you. It sounds like you were excited and expected something else though. I'm sure it deflated a good time but imagine how many kids have told him their parents shot a deer with their tag on it. Can't blame him for asking is what I'm saying.
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 05:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Finfeathernfurr
Any of y'all ever run into mike pike?

Lmao! Anderson county? He was after a buddy of mine for years for road hunting but never caught him.lol. Mike is long been retired now but I think his son is a GW.
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 08:18 AM

Met Leroy on many occasions and never had a problem.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Hogman4127
Met Leroy on many occasions and never had a problem.

I was once hunting a HF property in Brown County, and we were getting ready for lunch midday at the main house when Leroy strolled up. He had cut the luck on the main gate with bolt cutters. He said he couldn't climb an 8-ft fence, and besides, if he snuck in, he knew he'd be able to catch someone.

The owner asked Leroy if he would just call ahead and then we'd open the gate for him. Leroy said that would only give the hunters time to hide their illegal activity.....which he just KNEW was talking place.

He found nothing, of course, but the owner decided to just leave the gate unlocked whenever he had hunters there. Leroy would average dropping in about once a week. I don't think he ever ticketed anyone to my knowledge.

No doubt, Leroy believed he owned all the land and all the game animals in his jurisdiction. He was the GW version of Judge Roy Bean!
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 11:20 AM

I have had two bad experiances with the wardens. about 8yrs ago i shot a buck and took him to the check station to be checked in and the biologist was giving me a lesson on age of my buck when the warden pulls in and starts giving me a hard time saying i didnt have the deer properly tagged because i had the tag in a small clear plastic bag and it was tapped to the antler. The tag could be seen and read thru the bag but the warden said he was gonna issue me a ticket anyway. Luckily for me the biologist stepped in and told the warden that he knows the laws just as well and i wasnt breaking any law and told the warden to go bother someone that was. Well that really p.o.ed the warden and he left the parking lot spinning gravel. The second time i got checked on the lake and the warden was in a jet ski and after he checked us out he saw another boat and spun the jet ski around and smacked my boat hard enough to put a big scratch down the side. I yelled at him and he told me to get over it and went after the other boat! I know wardens have a job to do and i dont mind them doing it but i didnt deserve the crap i got from either one and wasnt breaking any laws. That is the only times i have talked to a warden and both were bad.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 12:56 PM

The asking a kid if he was the one that shot the deer during youth season is a delicate balancing act-but it would seem to me it has to be done. "Grilling" is too much of course so I understand where you are coming from.

But I just know there are MANY adults who shoot deer on youth weekend and then make their kids accomplices. Makes my blood boil.....
Posted By: bunker1965

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 03:12 PM

I respectfully disagree. Leroy is fair. He treats EVERYONE the same. If your breaking the law and being a jackwagon it just gets worse. You have to realize that with any LEO position you have people that constantly lie to you and mislead you. You have to question every aspect of the situation. Hes been in the business quite awhile and may come off crasp at times, but again he treats everyone the same.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 04:51 PM

I've known Vance for many years, before he was a game warden, and can assure you he is a first class gentleman and a good guy. He's a hard worker and does his job well. Mills county is lucky to have him. Heck, I even like Fred!
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Met the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 05:36 PM

Hey wlldraper, are you hunting off of 575? I'm right next to the Caradan cemetary. Sending you a PM.
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 06:05 PM

We have a lady GW that usually drops in our camp once per year and visits a while. Very nice lady. Almost have to run her off sometimes so we can go hunting. Never had a problem with her at all. I have never been ticketed by a GW but a buddy and I were fishing one day and he got my buddy for some undersized Crappie. We were measuring them all but didn't make sure their mouth was fully closed apparently. 4 of them were 1/8" short and he got a ticket for each one. I didn't have a problem with the ticket he got but the GW was pretty dang rude. My buddy also had a 10 pound female bass in the livewell that we were going to take back to the marina so they could take a picture and release her. The GW saw it and asked "are you going to throw that Bass back?". My buddy just said "I was but I'm in the mood to eat her now". The GW just said "whatever" and drove off. We released the Bass after he left.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 06:22 PM

I saw Leroy write a bunch of old timer tickets on lake brownwood for crappie that had been in baskets are obviously were missing an inch of tail from being in there do long they were right at 9 and 15/16 inches with half a tail lol. @genson mike is my uncle lol yep Anderson been retired a while.

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 06:23 PM

Guess they should have used a stringer lol I went to school with Leroy's daughter.
Posted By: Cbeck

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 08:08 PM

All career ladder advancements are based on a combination of longevity, job knowledge, job performance and adherence to agency and division work rules. All salaries are subject to change without notice:

•Game Warden Cadet $3,131/month
•Game Warden I (Probationary) $3,421/month
•Game Warden I (1 year) $4,131/month
•Game Warden II (4 years) $4,749/month
•Game Warden III (8 years) $5,098/month
•Game Warden IV (12 years) $5,333/month
•Game Warden V (16 years) $5,586/month
•Game Warden VI (20 years) $5,724/month
•Stipend for education or certification: $50 - $150/month
•Stipend for second language: $50/month

Thats a pretty good salary but a whole lot of work!!

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 08:26 PM

Like I said I realize adults have shot deer during youth season . I don't have any problem with a game warden doing his or her job iam glad they are here . And I had no problem with him asking my son but I promise had any of you guys been standing around that pickup that day you would have been in shock as well as pi$$ed off especially it was your little man getting grilled .
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 09:30 PM

Like I said I realize adults have shot deer during youth season . I don't have any problem with a game warden doing his or her job iam glad they are here . And I had no problem with him asking my son but I promise had any of you guys been standing around that pickup that day you would have been in shock as well as pi$$ed off especially it was your little man getting grilled .

I agree, If a GW comes up to my 7yo and asks. I don't mind, but if he stands there and grills her I will be forced to open my mouth.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Cbeck
All career ladder advancements are based on a combination of longevity, job knowledge, job performance and adherence to agency and division work rules. All salaries are subject to change without notice:

•Game Warden Cadet $3,131/month
•Game Warden I (Probationary) $3,421/month
•Game Warden I (1 year) $4,131/month
•Game Warden II (4 years) $4,749/month
•Game Warden III (8 years) $5,098/month
•Game Warden IV (12 years) $5,333/month
•Game Warden V (16 years) $5,586/month
•Game Warden VI (20 years) $5,724/month
•Stipend for education or certification: $50 - $150/month
•Stipend for second language: $50/month

Thats a pretty good salary but a whole lot of work!!

They also get time and a half overtime pay. Im sure they love being out doors, so its a win win situation. I wish I would of gone that route.
Posted By: RovingTexan

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 11:13 PM

In High School I wanted to be a GW. I loved hunting, fishing and just being in the outdoors and couldn't fathom a more perfect profession. Then one day my dad gave me the best advice: "Son, do what you want. But just know that if you become a GW, you will never be able to hunt opening weekend again and likely not many of the others either."
Posted By: tightlines24

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 11:44 PM

I have met many wardens over the years while hunting and fishing and never had a real problem. One actually rammed my boat one night when I was fishing but boy was he embarrassed. He apologized 20 times! Other than that all my experiences have been quite enjoyable and one was actually quite funny. I got a warning one time while fishing. Seems if you have an aluminum boat and you put a wood floor over the ribs you must have a fire extinguisher on board. Go figure, don't want to burn up that aluminum boat! Since it was a warning we both had a laugh over it.
ps (I now have one.)
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Met the Game Warden. - 10/29/13 11:50 PM

Met him at my lease a couple weeks ago. Great guy, just be legal. Had no problem talking about deer and duck hunting
Originally Posted By: wlldraper
We were out at the lease Sunday getting things ready and the Game Warden pulled into camp. We are in Mills County, fella by name of Vance Flowers. Seemed to be a good guy. If your hunting in the Caradan/Mt Olive Cementary keep in mind there is some tresspassers and road hunters going around. He has some photos. If you mind your business and abide by law should have no problems. Mr Flowers seemed easy going he hung around camp for an hour or so. It was a nice visit.
Posted By: Honkey911

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/30/13 01:52 AM

Dont go to wood county the two GWs there are D!@KS
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/31/13 12:13 AM

I along with other would love to hear the story..... popcorn
Originally Posted By: Honkey911
Dont go to wood county the two GWs there are D!@KS
Posted By: Monster_Raxx

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/31/13 12:29 AM

Really? Come to collin county. There's one here that's a dick all the time. The other one is cool
Posted By: TxAggie10

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/31/13 04:09 AM

Vance Flowers is a good guy. He has a great reputation amongst hunters and wardens. I've spoke to him on the phone a couple times. Thought for sure I was going to meet him one day but he waved me on. I was just inside my fence on FM 575 with rifle in tow....Vance waved me on.

Road hunters and poachers in the area?! That's a bad deal, my family owns frontage on FM 575. Will be sending PM's to those of you who hunt in the area.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/31/13 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: fatpratt96
I'd much rather meet the GW and know who he/she is than never meet em. If you get em to talking, they'll teach ya tons of stuff about the area if you need it. We got pull over leaving Coleman county because my buddy insists on NOT wearing a seat belt on the passenger side, before we knew it he was helping us look at our GPS photos and trying to get a feel of the lay of the land better. I don't remember his name but right around Cisco is where he was.

Oh and he finally put his stinkin seatbelt on. Too bad it takes a LEO telling him to do so to get him to do it. I try and ask what he would do if I rolled the truck by accident. I get no answer every time, but I know he thinks of his kiddos. Maybe one day he'll wise up

You don't ride with me if you don't buckle up!
Posted By: therancher

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 10/31/13 04:12 PM

It WORKS!! You guys are great prey animals. The GW's taught MO is to be your buddy. But the only reason he's there is to nail you or your hunters.

Because of ignorance we have allowed an incredible amount of laws to be made to govern us. It takes a stinkin book to hold them all. And the more there are the harder it is to keep from violating one.

We treat our game wardens with respect, but we make it clear that they can make buddies somewhere else.
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 11/01/13 12:25 AM

Overtime really.. Ask any GW and you will hear nothing but laughter. No overtime and yes they enforce laws and some people break them and get tickets or maybe even a trip to jail Does that make them a bad person for doing their job? I think some peopel on this Forum need to grow up and be resposnible for their actions if they want to call themselves hunters.
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 11/01/13 02:32 AM

Opening weekend Dove season, me and my buddy "also member here" Gw rolls in to our Honey-Hole feild in Venus,Tx checks our plugs, lic, dogs rabies tag, and bag limits...I had 13 and Buddy had 14...He gives us our stuff back, as 3 birds flying thru, Tells us to "cut em down ya'll aint done!" Great guy! when you go by the book...
Posted By: gunnut81

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 11/01/13 02:48 AM

I just heard out GW in Hood went somewhere else I hate to see her go she was helpful when I had problems, I actually showed her around my place and the best places to see spotlighters for miles, it's good to be able to work with TPWD than try to hide from them. I hear our new game warden is pretty cool but I have yet to meet her.
Posted By: D Red Raider

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 11/01/13 03:21 AM

We have a good GW in Brown Co. Travis has never checked me during hunting season but I know him otherwise from seeing him around town and he's checked me on the lake a few times. Cool guy. Then newest Major in the GW ranks is Mr. Davis who heads up the GW academy at Starr. He's a great guy. All of 'em I've ever been personally acquainted with were good people.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 11/10/13 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: bunker1965

I respectfully disagree. Leroy is fair. He treats EVERYONE the same. If your breaking the law and being a jackwagon it just gets worse. You have to realize that with any LEO position you have people that constantly lie to you and mislead you. You have to question every aspect of the situation. Hes been in the business quite awhile and may come off crasp at times, but again he treats everyone the same.

I will give you that. He does treat everyone the same. He is a Jackwagon towards lawbreakers and law abiding citizens alike. I have been checked by many wardens many times, and the only time i ever got a ticket was when I was a teenager and had an over loaded boat. But even the guy that ticketed me with the overloaded boat treated me with respect. I treat everyone with respect, LEO included, and expect the same in return. I actually enjoy getting checked by most game wardens, because after I have been checked, I will usually shoot the bull with them for a few minutes. Most are great guys that I would like to have as friends. Leroy does not fit in that category.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 11/10/13 04:36 PM

I was checked by Leroy twice and both times he was fine each time. Once in dove season when I was in my early twenties and me and my buddies were all drinking and had all of our birds in one pile in the back of the truck. He told us we could all get tickets for not having our birds separate but just warned us. Told us to be careful drinking and hunting and went on his way. The other time was deer season and my younger cousin didn't have his liscence with him and he wrote him a warning and BS'd with us because my dad was driving an old GW ram charger he bought at an auction. Always heard bad stories about ol Leroy but personal experiences were always cool.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Meet the Game Warden. - 11/10/13 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: D Red Raider
We have a good GW in Brown Co. Travis has never checked me during hunting season but I know him otherwise from seeing him around town and he's checked me on the lake a few times. Cool guy. Then newest Major in the GW ranks is Mr. Davis who heads up the GW academy at Starr. He's a great guy. All of 'em I've ever been personally acquainted with were good people.

Yes sir they don't get much better than Tracy Davis. He is an awesome GW and with him running the academy now we should have some good ones for years to come.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum