Texas Hunting Forum

New Guy Question

Posted By: MartyN

New Guy Question - 10/10/13 06:21 PM

New deer hunter here with a question. As rifle season gets closer do you all avoid shooting around your blind/feeder? In other words, if I'm at the lease this weekend and see a hog or coyote, should I shoot it or pass until after rifle season?

Thanks.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: New Guy Question - 10/10/13 06:27 PM

I kill all hogs and coyotes on sight. Even if deer are around. The only way I pass a shot is if a big buck is around I do not want to spook or am trying to get a shot at.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: New Guy Question - 10/10/13 07:58 PM

Kill all hogs and yotes. I have been shooting during dove season on my property as well as sighting in my deer rifles. The deer will get used to a pattern of gun fire.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: New Guy Question - 10/10/13 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I kill all hogs and coyotes on sight. Even if deer are around. The only way I pass a shot is if a big buck is around I do not want to spook or am trying to get a shot at.
This
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: New Guy Question - 10/10/13 08:03 PM

I say yes, I even try not to drive into my area (or anyones).
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: New Guy Question - 10/10/13 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

It's been found that 90% of the deer taken during any given season are taken during the first two weeks. That just goes to show that once the hunting pressure starts, it doesn't
take the deer very long to figure out we're after them. While deer don't have a long term memory, hunting pressure does cause them to alter their travel and feeding patterns which has a definite impact on our chances of seeing them during daylight hours.

IMO, if you want the best chance to catch a wary buck on his way back to or from his bedroom, stay out of his neighborhood until you're ready to sneak up on his house.

I should add that taking long walks to your stand during middle of the week hunts later in the season can be extremely effective. After those first weeks of the season, the deer just seem to know when the weekends arrive. The extra noise on weekends probably has something to do with that. I took a very nice ten-point late last season following that approach.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: New Guy Question - 10/10/13 08:46 PM

I agree with Dan

Re: New Guy Question - 10/10/13 08:49 PM

Appreciate the responses guys. Thanks.
Posted By: WDZMN4LF

Re: New Guy Question - 10/10/13 09:19 PM

If you have hogs and yotes at your feeder often, this will effect deer and keep them away. Shoot all hogs and yotes on site. The hogs and yotes will do more to hurt the hunting than a few gun shots. IMO
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: WDZMN4LF
If you have hogs and yotes at your feeder often, this will effect deer and keep them away ... hogs and yotes will do more to hurt the hunting than a few gun shots. IMO

I have seen hogs "take over" a feeder... too much activity and the deer don't show. Also, my buddy and I were recently doing a bunch of chainsawing around a feeder mid-afternoon, our trucks coming and going. The deer still showed at their routine time a few hours later.

-Mickey
Posted By: AO2000

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 03:41 AM

An old fishing guide always said that weekend fishing was altered by increased traffic on the surf.. Somehow he thought the fish heard and felt the cars from the beach.. Can he or anyone else prove this? I doubt it.. But experienced has shown him the differences.. I believe him.. So why should it be an different with wt hunting? I can say this with confidence though, some of my best days hunting have been during the week.. Coincidence? Maybe? Maybe not...
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 05:20 AM

We dont like shooting rifles at all unless its on a deer were wanting to shoot. We usually try and kill hogs, doe and cull bucks with our bows. We bought a crossbow (Ghost 400) for this and keep it in the stand with us along with our rifle. We wait until after the season to do our coyote killing. But we still will shoot them on a part of the ranch were not hunting.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

It's been found that 90% of the deer taken during any given season are taken during the first two weeks. That just goes to show that once the hunting pressure starts, it doesn't
take the deer very long to figure out we're after them. While deer don't have a long term memory, hunting pressure does cause them to alter their travel and feeding patterns which has a definite impact on our chances of seeing them during daylight hours.

IMO, if you want the best chance to catch a wary buck on his way back to or from his bedroom, stay out of his neighborhood until you're ready to sneak up on his house.

I should add that taking long walks to your stand during middle of the week hunts later in the season can be extremely effective. After those first weeks of the season, the deer just seem to know when the weekends arrive. The extra noise on weekends probably has something to do with that. I took a very nice ten-point late last season following that approach.

Agreed cheers
Posted By: stx44mag

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 11:01 AM

I shot a coyote 2 weeks ago to the east of my blind, while does were feeding to the west of the blind. They stay for about 10 minutes then left. So yes,

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 01:10 PM

That blurry furry spot in the lower left corner was a coyote that spooked all the deer off. This doe came back after I shot along with several other deer at 8:10 that morning. The deer on this place are spooky and flee when any hogs, coyotes or bobcats move in. It is due to dogs running loose and chasing them.
This doe was a bit curious but then went back to eating.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 01:15 PM

That blurry furry spot in the lower left corner was a coyote that spooked all the deer off. This doe came back after I shot along with several other deer at 8:10 that morning. The deer on this place are spooky and flee when any hogs, coyotes or bobcats move in. It is due to dogs running loose and chasing them.

Yes, but you are the Deer Whisperer, so your accounts in the field don't count trout

Some deer do return after a shot. I have had them return and eat around a doe that was shot...doesn't mean I want to be shooting around where I am hunting.

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Yes, but you are the Deer Whisperer, so your accounts in the field don't count trout

Some deer do return after a shot. I have had them return and eat around a doe that was shot...doesn't mean I want to be shooting around where I am hunting.

nidea That explains why you never kill anything..... peep

Again it is usually not the shot that spooks a deer but the movement, noise and sight of the hunter exiting the blind to retrieve his game that does that.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 01:26 PM

X2
Posted By: spibiggie

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 01:49 PM

I've had deer stay in the opposite sendero from where I shot, and I've had them show up a few minutes after I've shot. But, there's no telling what didn't come out that day, or the rest of the year for that matter, because of my shot.

The object of the game is to make them comfortable of their surroundings and unaware of disturbances. Yes, you might shoot a nice buck after announcing your presence....but, his daddy might have been right around the corner paying better attention.

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: spibiggie
I've had deer stay in the opposite sendero from where I shot, and I've had them show up a few minutes after I've shot. But, there's no telling what didn't come out that day, or the rest of the year for that matter, because of my shot.

The object of the game is to make them comfortable of their surroundings and unaware of disturbances. Yes, you might shoot a nice buck after announcing your presence....but, his daddy might have been right around the corner paying better attention.

Same could be said for that big buck watching/hearing you walk or drive in to you stand to hunt before daylight. Did you spook and never see him?

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 03:08 PM

Awesome response. Thanks for taking the time.

So to sum up, it depends on who you ask. Some would shoot a hog or coyote right around the feeder, and some wouldn't. Got it. haha.
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: New Guy Question - 10/11/13 10:50 PM

I have shot deer with my rifle and had deer walk right up to it just laying there dead. But I think the chances of seeing the mature older bucks is slim to none when they feel the hunting pressure.
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: New Guy Question - 10/12/13 07:12 AM

BEST TIME TO SHOOT A COYOTE IS WHEN YOU SEE A COYOTE!!
I wouldnt get trigger happy, I've shot deer 2 mins apart...
Posted By: killabooner

Re: New Guy Question - 10/12/13 01:54 PM

We shoot all coyotes and hogs we see, during our pre-season trips. We all stay off of the lease for 2 weeks before opening day to let everything calm down and get into a routine.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum