Texas Hunting Forum

Whitetail Buck Limit Question

Posted By: BenBob

Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/26/08 12:15 AM

Can a person kill two whitetail bucks in a county with a 2 buck limit and then go to a county with a 1 buck limit and kill another buck? Thought I was knowledgeable, but I have gone stupid on myself.

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/26/08 12:46 AM

Not be an SA or a Clown here, but legally, you can kill the following number of white tail bucks in Texas, and this is all counties that have a season for white tails.

The important number to remember, and there are some exceptions to this, but the important number is 3.

That is the State Wide limit for buck white tail deer in Texas.

From there, you have to look at the limit in the county/counties you hunt in.

Some counties are 3 buck counties.

Some are 2 buck counties.

Some are 1 buck counties.

As long as you do not exceed the state wide limit of 3 OR the limit established for the county/counties you are hunting in, you are okay.

You can kill all 3 bucks in one of the 3 buck counites.

Or you can kill one buck in three diferent 3 buck counties.

You can kill one buck in 3 different one buck counties.

Or you can kill 2 bucks in a two buck county and one buck in a differt 1, 2, or 3 buck county, or you can kill 1 buck in three different 2 buck counties.

Then all that is necessary, is to keep that number 3, the state wide limit in mind, then find out what the limit is on bucks in the county/counties you are hunting in, and just do not exceed the limit in any individual county or the state wide limit of 3 and you will be in good shape.

Posted By: gfarley

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/26/08 03:17 AM

Was ready to argue but checked before I made a fool out of myself. Thank goodness. There used to be a tag designated as 1 buck county but not anymore. Thanks for the question and response, I learned something useful from it for sure.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/26/08 03:26 AM

CH is right on.

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/27/08 03:49 PM

So, I can kill 1 buck from a 1 buck county and 2 bucks from a 2 buck county or 2 bucks from a 2 buck county and 1 buck from another 2 buck county and I am within the law?

If this is correct, did it change recently, or am I just getting dumber? (Don't answer the last question.)

Posted By: FETCH_UP

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/27/08 04:57 PM

Yes that is correct and yes it changed, think a few years ago...i learned it last year as i was wrong thinking that you couldnt do it that way!

Posted By: ChickenWilly

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/27/08 05:12 PM

Thanks for clearing this up cuz I just got on here to ask the same question! haha

Posted By: Rem270man

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/27/08 09:29 PM

To be honest..I didn't know either.

Posted By: slipshot

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/27/08 09:55 PM

Back in the old days they had that 1 buck county tag that got a slew of people tickets. It was confusing and if you used the wrong tag well just hope you didn't get checked....buddy found out the hard way....lets just say he didn't have any extra cash for a few months.

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/28/08 03:37 AM

Please refer back to my original answer.

Come on folks this ain't rocket science here.

As long as you DO NOT kill more than 3 bucks state wide, and this is not talking about places with MLD permits, or deer taken on the state run management hunts, and you DO NOT exceed the limit in the counties you are hunting, it is okay.

Posted By: cuzins8

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/28/08 03:51 AM

Quote:

REALLY...? Well i learned sumthin too then!

Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/28/08 09:17 AM

CH is right on the money....and once you have used all your tags (and had the money) you can go to a MLD permitted ranch and kill as many as your bank account allows or MLD ranch allowed

Posted By: HuntingLegend4

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/30/08 11:14 PM

Quote:

In saying this...my lease is in 3 different counties. all of which are one buck. can i shoot a buck out of each county? I'm not saying i'm going to(poor management)but it just popped up in my head. wondering about the answers i'll get.

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/30/08 11:17 PM

just something to think about.

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/30/08 11:20 PM

yes, i researched this a couple of years ago because we have a lease in menard 2 buck and madison 1 buck, you still have a 5 deer limit so i can either kill 2 buck and 3 doe in menard or 2 bucks 2 doe in menard and 1 buck in Madison, or 2 bucks in menard 1 doe and 1 doe and 1 buc in madison....

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/30/08 11:24 PM

that still would be poor management if you decided to, though.

Posted By: Double_Drop_Tines

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/31/08 01:58 AM

But you can't shoot any bucks when the moon is in a transitional phase during the third quarter of the fifth week of any month unless the moon is in a waxing phase during the second equinox of the tenth rising. Unless it's on MLD land then you can only shoot a three pronged droptine with a spread greater than the circumfrance of either the left fore leg or the feeder leg,whichever is closest .

Posted By: rstewlandman

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/31/08 02:13 AM

HuntingLegend....I dont think it would be bad managment at all on my part, we need to kill a few doe in madison, biologist have said that, and we have a couple of 5 year old deer that are ready, we manage m'ville very strict, 18000 acres co-op land owner program...Menard I could kill 2 mature bucks or a buck and a doe, now it would be better if i killed 2 doe and one buck but that area could easily sustain and thrive from proper selection, not numbers as much

Posted By: Parker

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/31/08 02:14 AM

Quote:

But you can't shoot any bucks when the moon is in a transitional phase during the third quarter of the fifth week of any month unless the moon is in a waxing phase during the second equinox of the tenth rising. Unless it's on MLD land then you can only shoot a three pronged droptine with a spread greater than the circumfrance of either the left fore leg or the feeder leg,whichever is closest .

Almost. The above only applies if you're a right-handed shooter shooting a left-handed bow of not less than 80lbs draw in a quartering-away shot between the hours of 6pm and 6:18pm. THEN, and only THEN, is it legal.

Posted By: JROD

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/31/08 02:32 AM

no, that's a funny question. One buck, only. Unless you have a lease in a two buck county then you can kill one there also. You can't go county to county killing deer. Think abour it..

Posted By: txbrian

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/31/08 03:54 AM

Quote:

Please refer back to my original answer.

Come on folks this ain't rocket science here.

Yeah, what he said.

Posted By: wjt

Re: Whitetail Buck Limit Question - 10/31/08 07:09 PM

It's county by county, you can kill thee bucks in one buck county's, as long as it's three different counties

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum