Texas Hunting Forum

Comanche Dino PIc

Posted By: Jlambe

Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 01:35 PM

So my dad went down to the deer lease to check the feeders and to see if any dove were flying around. Well he was working on a bow blind that is on the dried up creek and decided to randomly go walk it and he stumbled onto so dinosaur foot prints.

I have walked that creek multiply times and I never even noticed them, I thought this was pretty cool and here is the pic he sent me.

Posted By: Seadog

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 01:36 PM

Cool!!!
Posted By: crstfr

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 01:58 PM

man that's eff'in cool dude!! great pic!
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 01:59 PM

That's neat!!! would love to find something like that
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 02:11 PM

I'm a rabid arrowhead hunter. Can't wait until after deer season to scout out our new ranch for artifacts.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 02:12 PM

Neat find! Place in Blanco has them also. Selah Ranch IRRC is the name of the ranch.
Posted By: jcarlson91

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 02:42 PM

Very cool
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 02:44 PM

up
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: jcarlson91
Very cool
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 02:46 PM

I saw some like that back home in a creek where a dinosaur skeleton had been found several years prior. Y'all might find more than just tracks.

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
I'm a rabid arrowhead hunter. Can't wait until after deer season to scout out our new ranch for artifacts.

Yeah on that same creek we have a 2 acre food plot that we are tilling up and I am curious if we find any arrowheads or anything.

next time i am down there which will be labor day weekend, I'll take a pic which can hopefully give yall a good idea on the size.

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I saw some like that back home in a creek where a dinosaur skeleton had been found several years prior. Y'all might find more than just tracks.

Yeah we will have to keep looking around, we have been on the property for 12 years and we are always finding some cool things. The owner of the ranch is received multiple offers to do excavations on our property because there is a myth about where these 3 creeks meet there is some kind of treasure or something.

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 03:29 PM

Those tracks are a treasure, themselves. The ones I saw were appraised by a guy from the museum in Fort Worth. He quoted some six figure prices on them. He said finding someone to actually buy them is a different story, but that was the value on it.

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 03:36 PM

Those tracks are a treasure, themselves. The ones I saw were appraised by a guy from the museum in Fort Worth. He quoted some six figure prices on them. He said finding someone to actually buy them is a different story, but that was the value on it.

that is pretty awesome, i don't think there is anyway I can move them so they are probably better off where they are
Posted By: Chadillac

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 04:38 PM

Time to pull out the old jack hammer. Not to mention that is a very cool find.
Posted By: Txnrog

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Chadillac

Jack hammer?? If anything, take a plaster cast of them, and then seal them so that they don't eventually wash away.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Txnrog

Jack hammer?? If anything, take a plaster cast of them, and then seal them so that they don't eventually wash away.

Wash away? hammer Just how many years will that take considering how long they have been in that spot already?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Wash away? hammer Just how many years will that take considering how long they have been in that spot already?

Can you tell us how long they been there? You hunted that dinosaur after all didn't you... popcorn

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 08:09 PM

hammer

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 08:11 PM

You sure that isn't dried up mud and your pops isn't playing a good trick on you? lol
Posted By: PWT

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/19/13 08:11 PM

Really cool pics

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/20/13 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Jlambe

that is pretty awesome, i don't think there is anyway I can move them so they are probably better off where they are

I agree. I wouldn't attempt it, either.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/20/13 12:39 AM

That is a very cool find. I'm sure the landowner will think so.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/20/13 02:41 AM

It's possible. Some of the ones at Dino State Park are almost gone since they were found. has something to do with the sand/gravel/rocks flowing across when the river is moving

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/20/13 03:13 AM

They won't wash away, however, they will fill in with mud next good flood. I found some on the Paluxy river bottoms years ago, in an area we would Duck hunt. They were the small, birdlike, velociraptor type. It rained and flooded the area. Next time I was down to show some friends, they were gone, covered up. They never believed me. I saw them. They looked like LARGE Turkey tracks.

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/20/13 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Can you tell us how long they been there? You hunted that dinosaur after all didn't you... popcorn
Ranchman would have shot them as spikes. Great find. Don't remove them or otherwise deface them without landowners permission. Must be southern Comanche cty, lots of limestone.
Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/20/13 10:24 AM

Very cool. At least you know the land your on has held game for a very very long time. I wouldn't tell locals where you found the tracks as you can get unwanted visitors trying to cut out the tracks. But after deer season, I'd call the paleontology/archaeology department at UT or A&M to let them check it out at least. A find like this should be documented and studied.

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/20/13 02:08 PM

You sure that isn't dried up mud and your pops isn't playing a good trick on you? lol

Originally Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek
Very cool. At least you know the land your on has held game for a very very long time. I wouldn't tell locals where you found the tracks as you can get unwanted visitors trying to cut out the tracks. But after deer season, I'd call the paleontology/archaeology department at UT or A&M to let them check it out at least. A find like this should be documented and studied.

I could see him playing a trick but that whole creek is a rock bottom for the most part, so I'll have to check it out when I go down there next time.

Yeah I was thinking after hunting season I could try to contact a paleontology/archaeology department and see if if they are interested. I would have to check the land owner, just to make sure he is fine with it.

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/20/13 02:10 PM

Jack hammer?? If anything, take a plaster cast of them, and then seal them so that they don't eventually wash away. [/quote]
Wash away? hammer Just how many years will that take considering how long they have been in that spot already? [/quote]

Yea we are south of Comanche about 15 mins or so, if you know where FM 1702 or Energy, TX, we aren't far from there

Can you tell us how long they been there? You hunted that dinosaur after all didn't you... popcorn [/quote]Ranchman would have shot them as spikes. Great find. Don't remove them or otherwise deface them without landowners permission. Must be southern Comanche cty, lots of limestone. [/quote]
Posted By: Alta Loma

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/20/13 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek
But after deer season, I'd call the paleontology/archaeology department at UT or A&M to let them check it out at least. A find like this should be documented and studied.
And you might not be hunting next year because they are excavating your lease with spoons, I would be careful who I tell.
Posted By: LarryT

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/20/13 06:35 PM

very cool
Posted By: Txnrog

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/20/13 09:33 PM

Limestone is a relatively soft, sedementary rock - if they are not covered by mud and gravel or something else, they will eventually wash away - especially in a creek bottom. Happens quicker than you would think - i've noticed significant changes in some spots on our place over the years. 'New' finds are usually in spots that are either high and dry, or have been more recently uncovered by shifting gravel or flaking of the top layers of limestone.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/21/13 01:59 AM

That is what the Ranger told us when talking with him. He stated the the earlier "tracks" found were almost gone, due to flooding and silt/gravel/rock in the water. Yes, some were covered, but some are also disappearing
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
They won't wash away, however, they will fill in with mud next good flood. I found some on the Paluxy river bottoms years ago, in an area we would Duck hunt. They were the small, birdlike, velociraptor type. It rained and flooded the area. Next time I was down to show some friends, they were gone, covered up. They never believed me. I saw them. They looked like LARGE Turkey tracks.
Posted By: trjscout

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/21/13 02:29 AM

Friend of mine had some on his family ranch and when the word got out they got stolen [with jack hammers] now just ugly sq. holes in the creek, I wouldn't tell nobody the exact location. if I was the land owner I would be pissed that you brought them up on a public forum, you could be with out a place to hunt. They are very cool though ,just my 2 cents.

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/21/13 05:16 AM

Originally Posted By: trjscout
Friend of mine had some on his family ranch and when the word got out they got stolen [with jack hammers] now just ugly sq. holes in the creek, I wouldn't tell nobody the exact location. if I was the land owner I would be pissed that you brought them up on a public forum, you could be with out a place to hunt. They are very cool though ,just my 2 cents.
I agree. The owner needs to know. Let him make the call.

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/21/13 01:38 PM

why would he be pissed when I haven't even given a location, I guess I don't see big deal about talking about them.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/21/13 01:59 PM

I'm west of you off of FM 573. We've got a couple of creeks (dried) on our place, so now I'll have to go check them out. Sadly, never have found any arrowheads on the lease.

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 08/21/13 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Jlambe

why would he be pissed when I haven't even given a location, I guess I don't see big deal about talking about them.

I don't either.
Posted By: blhaley91

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 09/14/13 03:27 AM

cool!
Posted By: Offshore_Life

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 09/14/13 04:28 AM

Once in a lifetime find. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Hunt2Fish

Re: Comanche Dino PIc - 09/14/13 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
Cool!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum