Texas Hunting Forum

Mule Deer Brow tines Vs. Whitetail Brow tines

Posted By: BenBob

Mule Deer Brow tines Vs. Whitetail Brow tines - 08/13/13 03:47 AM

Curious as to why we all think that whitetails with no brow tines are considered to be culls, but I have never heard anyone mention how mule deer without brow tines should be culled. I have seen numerous high scoring mule deer with no brow tines and I have hunted culls on a West Texas ranch and culling bucks with no brow tines was not a top priority of the ranch. That particular ranch seemed to be much more concerned with the age structure being used as a culling factor than brow tines. Ranch was on MLD program.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Mule Deer Brow tines Vs. Whitetail Brow tines - 08/13/13 03:57 AM

Two seperate species of deer.

Same reason we cull 6 point whitetail but not 6 point axis deer

Mule deer typically have small to non-existant eye guards. That's normal for the species
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Mule Deer Brow tines Vs. Whitetail Brow tines - 08/13/13 04:02 AM

Mule Deer are scored a bit different. They are scored with back forks and front forks. Mass meaurements are a bit different but they still get 4. Browtines are scored if they exist or don't on the score sheet. They are considered a bonus for scoring a Mule Deer since most are very short to nonexistant. Other points besides the forks and brows are consider nontypical points. Mule Deer tend to be much wider, can have longer beams and can be heavier on mass than a whitetail, but not always.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Mule Deer Brow tines Vs. Whitetail Brow tines - 08/13/13 04:02 AM

WT need a little more help to grow the inches.
Posted By: estex

Re: Mule Deer Brow tines Vs. Whitetail Brow tines - 08/13/13 04:18 AM

apples and oranges ....genetics
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum