Texas Hunting Forum

Rut time around Mexia

Posted By: Hunt1212

Rut time around Mexia - 08/12/13 12:51 AM

This is my first year to hunt this area, anyone know when the rut is? I would guess around opening weekend.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Rut time around Mexia - 08/12/13 02:02 AM

Do they have deer in Mexia?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Rut time around Mexia - 08/12/13 02:27 AM

I'm 20 miles south of Mexia, and we have plenty of deer. As for when the rut is, all I can tell you is that from observing the buck and does in the yard this morning, it hasn't started yet.
:-)

I'll guess that it'll start in about November. Last year it was early around here and it appeared that it started before the season opened.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Rut time around Mexia - 08/12/13 02:53 AM

Click the link and look up your area.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/planning/rut_whitetailed_deer/
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Rut time around Mexia - 08/12/13 11:24 AM

We have a place in Buffalo which isnt too far and our rut is in October, if you dont bow hunt you will miss the rut.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Rut time around Mexia - 08/12/13 11:24 AM

Mid October
Posted By: EastTexun

Re: Rut time around Mexia - 08/12/13 01:13 PM

When I hunted in that area that rut was in late October sometimes stretching to the beginning of November. Depends really on what the ratios are like. If there are a bunch of does it will be stretched out a lot longer and harder to detect as compared to a tighter ratio. In Houston County the last week of October and first week of November have a lot of rutting activity historically for me.

Re: Rut time around Mexia - 08/12/13 10:42 PM

That's pretty much what I figured, I was hunting outside of Palestine so my guess sounds correct for that area.
Posted By: Egore_texas_hunter

Re: Rut time around Mexia - 08/13/13 01:03 AM

Where around Mexia are you hunting? I just set up on my fathers place. He bought the land last year and we have no idea how the hunting really is in the area. We are located about 15 miles south east of Mexia off of 39. Just curious how y'all are looking as far as deer numbers?

Re: Rut time around Mexia - 08/13/13 02:24 AM

I am about 10 miles North of Mexia, This is the first year on the lease. I put up feeders about a month ago. I have seen some good bucks (I just posted a pic of one under the photo section) tons of coyotes for sure. I have not seen a ton of does on camera mainly bucks. I mostly see doe while driving around scouting. After putting up feeders it took about four days for the deer to find it. So far I would say not to bad for the area. Lots of mesquite trees which deer tend to love.
Posted By: Czechaholic

Re: Rut time around Mexia - 08/13/13 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse

These charts are not accurate....IMO
Posted By: limestone pirate

Re: Rut time around Mexia - 08/16/13 03:04 PM

you better be bow hunting in this country that is when the deer were chasin the hardest last year there were a few bucks chasin the first couple of weeks of rifle season but mostly the younger bucks. we live about 25 miles south of mexia and hunt about 15 more miles to the south, we watch and study the deer in both spots quite sure the rut will be in full swing mid to late october
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum