Texas Hunting Forum

Men from the boys

Posted By: Texas Dan

Men from the boys - 07/05/13 06:04 PM

Now is the time every year when you can separate the men from the boys when it comes to deer hunters. Like many things, success in deer hunting depends largely on how much time and money you're willing to put into it. And this is the time every year when you can tell just who is serious about filling their tags once the cool air arrives in the Fall. They are the guys who are out there in the hot sun mowing roads and trails, maintaining feeders, cutting limbs, and anything else that needs attention so that when it's time to get serious, there are no questions about everything being ready. And when it's just a few weeks before the season opener, they WILL NOT be the ones trying to find a spot for a feeder, an open spot in a Hunter Education course, a part for their ATV, ammo for their rifle, or trying to get someone to mow and plant their food plot.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Men from the boys - 07/05/13 06:25 PM

Spot on about that Dan. We just got an a new lease after 8 years on our last one. We have 4 blinds to move (will have to cut in roads and shooting lanes) set up feed pens and feeders, again having to cut away scrub oak and mesquite. Alot of work ahead of us in the next month. Fortunately my boys and their friends (mid 20's) will help this ole guy out in exchange for BBQ, beer and some hog hunting! I can tell you my rifles are already sighted in, but will do another check in October as well. ATV is ready.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Men from the boys - 07/05/13 06:28 PM

Maintain it all year around and you wont have all the hard work to do in the 100 plus degree days and no chance for an excuse. confused2
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Men from the boys - 07/05/13 06:29 PM

Yep. The work and prep is half the fun. The more time I put in, the more satisfaction I get out of each hunt regardless of whether I fill my tag.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Men from the boys - 07/05/13 08:04 PM

couldn't agree more.... the blood, sweat and beers is part of it.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Men from the boys - 07/05/13 09:52 PM

Does it count if I hire day laborers to do the grunt work for me??
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Men from the boys - 07/05/13 10:12 PM

A wise experienced, smart man would have done all the maintaining in the cooler months leaving the rookies to do it in the heat. grin
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Men from the boys - 07/05/13 11:20 PM

It is almost just as much fun for me setting up stands and taking care of the place and getting everything ready, as it is when it comes time to hunt. Just being outside at my land working is a great weekend for me.

Walter

Re: Men from the boys - 07/05/13 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
A wise experienced, smart man would have done all the maintaining in the cooler months leaving the rookies to do it in the heat. grin
agreed, unless you lose your lease in March and don't find one until July, then no choice.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Men from the boys - 07/05/13 11:55 PM

Heck ya. I took one morning hunt off in January. 28 degrees and sunny. Built my PF pen that morning. 9 panels. Dang smart as opposed to last year building one in late July.

Re: Men from the boys - 07/05/13 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
agreed, unless you lose your lease in March and don't find one until July, then no choice.

Well a wise experience, smart man would have had a new lease lined up by then..... grin but I understand what you are saying cheers
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Men from the boys - 07/06/13 05:41 AM

Wise men are getting the work done by others.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Men from the boys - 07/06/13 02:49 PM

I'd buy someone a beer if they would mow my plots.....
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Men from the boys - 07/06/13 02:51 PM

Well a wise experience, smart man would have had a new lease lined up by then..... grin but I understand what you are saying cheers

Can't believe in your 300yrs you've never had hurricanes make all your hunting setups inaccessible in 100degree Aug/Sept.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Men from the boys - 07/06/13 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: 4Weight

Heck ya. I took one morning hunt off in January. 28 degrees and sunny. Built my PF pen that morning. 9 panels. Dang smart as opposed to last year building one in late July.

I remember you doing that, you crazy guy:)).
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Men from the boys - 07/07/13 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: wburke2010
It is almost just as much fun for me setting up stands and taking care of the place and getting everything ready, as it is when it comes time to hunt. Just being outside at my land working is a great weekend for me.

Walter

You also happen across more deer sign during the off season, sign that leads to better choices once the season rolls around. You know what feeders are being hit the hardest, and which ones are being ignored because their owners don't want to take the time to maintain them.
Posted By: Mfloski

Re: Men from the boys - 07/07/13 02:29 PM

Headed to lease next weekend to put up cameras, move some stands and feeders, fire up a couple feeders, etc...gonna be hot and a lot of work, but I am super excited to get out there!
Posted By: BoogerHook2012

Re: Men from the boys - 07/07/13 03:35 PM

There is nothing like the preparation before season. I enjoy it almost as much as hunting.
Posted By: Bobby Frey

Re: Men from the boys - 07/08/13 01:41 AM

second that. I find myself enjoying fixing stuff sometimes more than some hunts...weird.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Men from the boys - 07/08/13 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: BoogerHook2012
There is nothing like the preparation before season. I enjoy it almost as much as hunting.

Except for when things don't go your way, but then again it makes it that much more worth it. Needed to clear some lanes a few weekends ago but couldn't keep a chainsaw going or a chain on the other one.bang
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Men from the boys - 07/08/13 03:10 AM

I go year around, but try to get the hardest stuff done in the cool months. If you haven't done anything all year long, you prolly aren't all that serious anyhow...

Re: Men from the boys - 07/08/13 03:43 AM

grin STX, yep, unfortunately after many years managing the lease the landowner passed, but I was fortunate enough to find 4 sections for a new place. We normally get all the hard work done in Feb/Mar. This year will be in the heat of summer! cheers
Posted By: Bearclaw

Re: Men from the boys - 07/08/13 04:25 AM

Tractors with ACs help too
Posted By: TexasEx57

Re: Men from the boys - 07/25/13 08:19 PM

Unfortunately the birth of a baby boy has kept me on the boys side this year and not even sure I will get much of chance to hunt. I hope I do get to get out there but with 2 little ones, it makes it hard to get away. May have spent a lot of money on a lease this year for nothing
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Men from the boys - 07/25/13 08:21 PM

Ill be tagged out by the time you boys start shooting those boom sticks... peep
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Men from the boys - 07/25/13 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Ill be tagged out by the time you boys start shooting those boom sticks... peep

yeah me too, i have a nice one picked out, he is highly predictbale and i will be upset if he aint on the ground by 730 opening morning.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Men from the boys - 07/25/13 08:38 PM

My deer are fat dumb and happy! And show up about 45 yards from my deerstand everyday whenever they feel like it.
Posted By: Old_School

Re: Men from the boys - 07/25/13 09:30 PM

We hunt a completely different method than Dan mentioned. Mainly because we hunt mule deer exclusively. We have good 'ol boy relations with several ranchers and farmers so we are spared lease expenses. It's cheap, but it's challenging. It pushes patience and endurance to the limits sometimes. The areas are far from each other. A decision has to be made, almost daily, on which area to commit to.

Comfortable boots. Perfectly zeroed rifle.
Tracking and reading sign take the place of stands, cams, and feeders. Knowing your bullet trajectory for temperatures from 10 to 75 degrees, and drift from dead calm to 70 mph. Being in good shape is a must. We walk for days through brush and sand. Miles upon miles.
That's about all the prepping I can do.

I built a massive amount of respect for the Comanche and Apache that hunted those lands before us, without rifles, and later with them.
Tracking that big buck over the plains, seeing how deep his tracks press into the dirt, anticipating the moment you find him in the cross hairs... I live for the stalk.

Re: Men from the boys - 07/25/13 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Old_School
We hunt a completely different method than Dan mentioned. Mainly because we hunt mule deer exclusively. We have good 'ol boy relations with several ranchers and farmers so we are spared lease expenses. It's cheap, but it's challenging. It pushes patience and endurance to the limits sometimes. The areas are far from each other. A decision has to be made, almost daily, on which area to commit to.

Tracking and reading sign take the place of stands, cams, and feeders. Knowing your bullet trajectory for temperatures from 10 to 75 degrees, and drift from dead calm to 70 mph. Being in good shape is a must. We walk for days through brush and sand. Miles upon miles.

I built a massive amount of respect for the Comanche and Apache that hunted those lands before us, without rifles, and later with them.
Tracking that big buck over the plains, seeing how deep his tracks press into the dirt, anticipating the moment you find him in the cross hairs... I live for the stalk.

are you tony robbins?

Re: Men from the boys - 07/26/13 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: jshouse
Originally Posted By: Old_School

are you tony robbins?

Successful people ask better questions, and as a result, they get better answers. grin

Re: Men from the boys - 07/26/13 03:29 AM

that little speach got me pumped up
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Men from the boys - 07/26/13 04:19 AM

Ya'll are doing it all the hard way; it's a lot easier just letting the guy on the other side of the fence do all that hard stuff; just set your blind up next to it , you know, close to the fence, a week before the opener!

bolt

J/k wink

Re: Men from the boys - 07/26/13 01:56 PM

that little speach got me pumped up

I hear that! I just sealed the deal on a Tikka 7mm-08. Going glass shopping soon. I've been itching for a light rifle to spot and stalk with... finally found a deal on one.

Though I'll miss the nostalgia of hunting with my 1894, I will appreciate the added range on the 7mm.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Men from the boys - 07/26/13 02:06 PM

I guess we are men
We are headed out this afternoon
We setup in a new area last summer but due to a family emergency weren't able to do all we wanted to.
And with an impending well right near our are area we were contemplating moving and so we weren't going to do any work where we are.

Well, the well was dry and we decided to stay put.
So, we are going to get stuff done we couldn't last year.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Men from the boys - 07/27/13 02:22 PM

I guess I quit manning up some time ago.

All our blinds and feeders have been in place for many years

We spend the summer spraying brush
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Men from the boys - 07/27/13 11:23 PM

Closed on my property 3 weeks ago north of Adamsville. Got the cabin all cleaned out,fixed up and livable over the last 2 weekends and this morning got my feeders and water troughs set up. Got my deer stand setup and in place as well. Bottom line is I have worked my arse off to get the cabin ready to live in and spent time clearing cedar and setting up my stand and feeders. Think I can separate myself from the boys. FYI, lots of deer tracks where I set up my feeders and trail cameras. Hope to have pics when I check them Monday. Going fishing tomorrow to relax. Some pics of my cabin before and after:

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Men from the boys - 07/28/13 02:00 AM

Well I'm set for deer season bought new tires of the truck, and recharged the AC.

Re: Men from the boys - 07/28/13 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Well I'm set for deer season bought new tires of the truck, and recharged the AC.

did u pick up a new ETX lease or get an invite from RM?

Re: Men from the boys - 07/28/13 02:25 PM

nidea I just put a new battery in my rangefinder today ninja whistle

Re: Men from the boys - 07/28/13 05:10 PM

Low blow

Re: Men from the boys - 07/28/13 05:17 PM

Low blow

confused2 I actually did loser8 grin
Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: Men from the boys - 07/28/13 07:58 PM

We put up a new stand last weekend did some mowing, found coons chewed up wires on solar panel and emptied feeder cause my dumb arse didn't put the cage on it when I changed it out in may. Other than that were ready, me and my brother go to the lease once a month in the off season to keep things up.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum