Texas Hunting Forum

Davy Crockett National Forest

Posted By: txhunter89

Davy Crockett National Forest - 08/31/08 07:36 PM

I'm a new member here and I was just seeing if I could get some help for the upcoming deer season. I'm currently attending Stephen F. Austin and plan to hunt Davy Crockett National Forest a lot this year. Any tips you guys could give me or good places to hunt in the national forest would be great, thanks.

Posted By: DCS

Re: Davy Crockett National Forest - 09/01/08 04:38 PM

Take Hwy-7 out of Crockett and turn down Gallant road which is NF-514. Keep going until you come to the "Y". Camping is allowed down towards the end of 514 which is to the left of the "Y". We always hunted down 508A which is to the right side of the "Y". It would be worth your while to do some scouting before season. Click up Google Maps and zoom in on Davey Crockett National Forest and you will see what I am talking about.

Posted By: twice70

Re: Davy Crockett National Forest - 09/01/08 04:58 PM

Lots of deer but also lots of pressure, especially early season and on weekends. Do some scouting, try to find an area that is not on one of the major roads and hunt mid week if possible. Several good deer are killed there every year, but you'll have to work for it.

Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: Davy Crockett National Forest - 09/01/08 05:12 PM

whats your major? Im wildlife management. If you are in the forestry building at all let me know.

Re: Davy Crockett National Forest - 09/01/08 05:37 PM

I'm majoring in business but my twin brother is majoring in wildlife management.

Re: Davy Crockett National Forest - 09/01/08 05:44 PM

We did some scouting yesterday and went down Gallant road and 565. I think I found a pretty good spot on 565 and Gallant road looked good too. We saw about 12 deer in the middle of the day which I thought was pretty good. Thanks for the reply.

Posted By: TexasShooter

Re: Davy Crockett National Forest - 09/02/08 12:34 PM

There are a lot of deer there , we use to hunt there and loved it. Dont know if they put out any doe tags this year but they did at one time. I would suggest that if you are going to camp , stay in the NF camp ground, its really nice and a bunch of really good people (hunters) stay there during the season. I second the fact that on Sat and Sun the back roads down there look like a mall parking lot. If at all possible hunt only during the week very few people there then. Good luck.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Davy Crockett National Forest - 09/03/08 07:54 PM

i would stick to hunting beaver on the weekends and deer during the week, those national forests get so croweded its unreal. wed-fri are good days, everything has settled down by then.

if your really tuff, bring a pack and some MRE's and hike back in there several miles, you will most likely be by yourself and may find some good spots to hunt

Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Davy Crockett National Forest - 09/04/08 11:57 AM

Look really good on the east side, just don't cross over onto the private land, that's my lease all the way to the river.

Re: Davy Crockett National Forest - 09/04/08 03:20 PM

Thanks for the advice, and I'll be sure not to cross over into private property.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum