Texas Hunting Forum

FatherShoots Son

Posted By: Auctioneer1

FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 04:14 AM

Father shoots his 16 year old in Waller County. The son was walking to meet his dad and the Dad thought he was a deer shot him 3 times. Why do these people hunt scares me to know these people own guns.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 04:17 AM

I could see maybe one shot but three? Even one is hard to believe. But what was that guy thinking

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 04:19 AM

Not even one if you can't tell what it is dont shoot period!
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 04:22 AM

Is the son still alive? So sad. That man will never be the same...prayers to family
Posted By: SweetTea

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 04:22 AM

Three times??? Prosecutors will love that.

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 04:23 AM

I agree 100% if you can't tell, don't shoot. Being a father I couldn't even imagine how I would feel

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 04:23 AM

They will not Prosecute the Dad. Yes he is alive.

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 04:25 AM

Any idea where this was?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 04:29 AM

This is one of those things I hate to read about, shooting at something moving. Aye yie yie. confused2
Posted By: Bama2

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 04:32 AM

I never understand how this happens I have been hunting for 25+ yrs and have missed few things I shot at but I new what I was shooting at it just should not happen.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 04:39 AM

Prayers up for a full recovery of the young man. Rules of firearms safety not followed.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 04:45 AM

Really?
How can you accidentally shoot anything once, much less three times?
Posted By: mikeydon

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 05:02 AM

Prayer's for the whole family angel
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 05:08 AM

Crazy. Just no excuse . Glad the boy will breath again. Not sure in my mind what should happen to the father.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: mikeydon
Posted By: Seadog

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 08:49 AM

That's the first rule in hunting - be sure of what you're shooting at!!! My Thoughts and Prayers for the family!!!
Posted By: SlaminEm

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 11:06 AM

if you can not see it don't shoot it.i thought fathers teach there son's how to hunt apparently this guy must have either slept through or skipped that class.thank god the boy will survive.he will probably never hunt again i can't say i blame him.imo they revoke the fathers hunting rights.
Posted By: Texican

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 11:23 AM

What the hell? Was he wearing an antler hat?? .
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 11:40 AM

Prayers for everyone.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 12:47 PM

No excuse for that. PERIOD.
Posted By: eneat1119

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 01:09 PM

Pure STUPIDITY. Thank god the dad can't shoot as well as he can ID his target.
Posted By: Jasb

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: eneat1119
Pure STUPIDITY. Thank god the dad can't shoot as well as he can ID his target.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 01:37 PM

That's crazy. Thank goodness the boy is still alive.
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: mikeydon
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 01:57 PM

There some real winners out there! Just durn sad.

Link:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Teen-shot-by-father-in-Waller-Co-hunting-accident--185496122.html
Posted By: Texpolo1106

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
That's the first rule in hunting - be sure of what you're shooting at!!! My Thoughts and Prayers for the family!!!
Posted By: vanguard

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 02:28 PM

here in san antonio on a military base we had a guy shooting at noises in the dark, this was a night hog hunt. he said it was a hog. just because someones in the military doesnt mean they know how to hunt or how to practice gun safety or even practice common sense.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 02:52 PM

In every Hunter Education class that I deliver, I always include a discussion on what defines being "sure of your target". While it may seem like a simple matter, hunters can fall into that trap that goes with having an overwhelming desire to kill a deer and end up using very poor judgement. As more experienced deer hunters know well, the mind can be fooled into making many images "appear" to be part of the head, body, or legs of a deer. Mix in the deep desire to kill a deer along with hunter fatigue and you have an accident waiting to happen. Obviously, no parent is going to purposely shoot their child. But when it does happen, it proves that the shooter must have actually believed they were shooting at a deer. But somewhere in that thought process a clear mistake had been made.

To start the discussion, I use a photo in which a tripod stand is almost hidden in the image. I ask everyone to see if they can find it. Most cannot, so I end up showing it to them. Then I ask them to find the deer in the photo. There has never been a class in which someone does not "take the bait" and admit they see a deer. Of course there is no deer in the photo. And from that point, the discussion begins. How do you know when you're sure of your target or that your mind is just fooling you.

For those HE instructors who might wish to include this same exercise and discussion in their own classes, I have included the photo below.

Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 03:01 PM

6:48 pm is when the incident happened!!! I don't know about y'all but where I hunt, that's way past LST.

Prayers for a speedy recover.
Posted By: thurmansfiberglass

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 03:07 PM

wow. Thank God the boy is still alive. That is tragic. The family is in our prayers.
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
6:48 pm is when the incident happened!!! I don't know about y'all but where I hunt, that's way past LST.

X2, how was it not almost completely dark?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: DocBailey
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

X2, how was it not almost completely dark?

A $3 flashlight would have made this accident far less likely to have happened. Not so the dad could have better seen his son, but so that the dad could have very easily seen his son was not a deer.

I NEVER walk into or out of the woods in the early morning or at night without a flashlight. My fear of spooking deer is far less than the fear of not being able to take care of my wife and children.
Posted By: eneat1119

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 03:28 PM

6:48?!?!

Where I hunt anything past 6:20 is way too dark. I normally leave the stand around 6:15 cuz only things I can confirm are about 5 yards away.

Some people...
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 06:55 PM

I witnessed a dad shooting his son once. We were dove hunting and there were a bunch of yahoos just across the fence on the other property. Son was retreiving dove for his dad. A bird flew between them when the son was on a retrieve. Dad shot the son in the thigh at 20 yards. It was not pretty. I was about 100 yards away and had a clear view of the whole thing. You could of heard the kid screaming from a half mile. Some people just should not be handling guns.
Posted By: sptaylor

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper
Some people just should not be handling guns.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 07:13 PM

Prayers for all.
Posted By: Chris/HOU

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 07:16 PM

Once is an accident, 3 times is attempted murder.
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 08:56 PM

Something about this doesnt make since to me. If I got shot i would start screaming. If I got shot again I would scream louder. How can you accidently shoot someone 3 times??? Also, if i was the kid I would be shooting back. Sorry old man.
Posted By: Curly

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/03/13 09:00 PM

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/...ent-4162994.php
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/04/13 01:25 AM

It was 548 not 648 . The first mistake was 2 people rifle hunting on 10 acres!
Posted By: jusputitonmytab

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/04/13 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Auctioneer1
Not even one if you can't tell what it is dont shoot period!

^This^
Posted By: lmd59

Re: FatherShoots Son - 01/04/13 01:44 AM

Was he using an assault rifle to hunt deer? Could be one way he got three shots off.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum