Texas Hunting Forum

What to do with doe

Posted By: TexasAggie12

What to do with doe - 12/28/12 05:32 AM

I need to take quite a few doe on my place this year and I don't know what to do with all of them. I am the only person that hunts the place and I don't have enough room to store all the meat. I've contacted the game warden and he told me I could donate it to the prison if I had MLD permits, but I do not and he didn't know of anyone in need. What do you guys suggest?
Posted By: Skyjunky

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 05:39 AM

Sell some meat hunts

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 05:57 AM

Can't let people on the property
Posted By: Hunt2Fish

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 06:02 AM

It's not your property?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 06:05 AM

Without MLD, how are you tagging them and how many are you planning on shooting?

Many of the processors participate in "feed the hungry" programs. Also, churches have taken them as donations.
Posted By: rlttu66

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 06:07 AM

Somewhat confused...no mld, you are the only one that can be on property, need to take "quite a few" doe?? Care to provide a little more info?

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 06:08 AM

It is mine. I just can't let people go out there because it's a family place in a small town, with lots of people, with big mouths, that love to talk about places that have big deer. Anyhow, why let anyone else shoot my deer? I want to kill my own doe, just need to find a place for a few (under 20 more than 10).
Posted By: BBD84

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 06:13 AM

IF YOU DONT HAVE MLD then you dont have tags for them, so legally you dont have the right to shoot them without having someone else do it for you, sounds like you either are chit out of luck or about to break the law.

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 06:26 AM

Originally Posted By: BBD84
IF YOU DONT HAVE MLD then you dont have tags for them, so legally you dont have the right to shoot them without having someone else do it for you, sounds like you either are chit out of luck or about to break the law.

I take my sister and girlfriend (see earlier posts) that both have licenses and do hunt sometimes, but I didn't start this thread for legal advice. I could always just dump them in a draw and forget about them, but I am making an effort to seek advice. That should provide enough credit to my case, so answer the question and quit using all caps. No one wants to read that ****.
Posted By: Hunt2Fish

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 06:38 AM

Do whatever you feel like and stop asking for advice.
I second what BBD84 said
Posted By: Deer Junky

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 06:40 AM

popcorn
Posted By: clharr

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 07:03 AM

How many aggies does it take to.....
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By: clharr
How many aggies does it take to.....

Most penalized program in NCAA history.... guess they treat deer like football?
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 10:45 AM

You, your wife, and sister need to shot the doe y'all have TAGS for and either donate the meat hunters for the hungry or give it to a less fortunate family. Don't dump them in the ditch, that's just crazy talk.
Posted By: TCUFrog

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 11:17 AM

Agree
Posted By: no-guts-no-glory

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: texasaggie12
I need to take quite a few doe on my place this year and I don't know what to do with all of them. I am the only person that hunts the place and I don't have enough room to store all the meat. I've contacted the game warden and he told me I could donate it to the prison if I had MLD permits, but I do not and he didn't know of anyone in need. What do you guys suggest?

Offer guided hunts to underprivilege kids and/or war veterans to kill a doe since you're "the only person that hunts the place".
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
You, your wife, and sister need to shot the doe y'all have TAGS for and either donate the meat hunters for the hungry or give it to a less fortunate family. Don't dump them in the ditch, that's just crazy talk.

This. Dumping them in a ditch, is wrong.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bittercreek
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

This. Dumping them in a ditch, is wrong.

And illegal!
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 12:13 PM

Sounds like you answered your own question if u cant or wont allow anybody else on the property. Im sure your neighbors will like the extra deer.
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt2Fish
Do whatever you feel like and stop asking for advice.
I second what BBD84 said

X2
Posted By: Seadog

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 01:24 PM

THF GTG!!!
Posted By: A.B.

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 01:30 PM

Buy a chest freezer and shoot the 9 does that the 3 of you are allowed and be done with it.
Posted By: KG68

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 01:41 PM

Mills county is a five deer county A.B. I assume this is in the Childress area and don't know the law up there. Problem solved here in a hurry. up
Posted By: Satch

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 01:48 PM

sister, girlfriend & you = 5 tags per license = 15 deer which can all be does right? keep what you need and donate the rest to hunters for the hungry or the church like others have said. confused2
Posted By: Rustler

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 02:00 PM

It is mine. I just can't let people go out there because it's a family place in a small town, with lots of people, with big mouths, that love to talk about places that have big deer. Anyhow, why let anyone else shoot my deer? I want to kill my own doe, just need to find a place for a few (under 20 more than 10).

1 - Every deer killed must be legally tagged.
2 - If the property isn't in the MLDP system a hunter is limited to the counties bag limits.
3 - Dumping them in a draw or any action or inaction that renders the meat unsuitable for human consumption is waste of game.

This is why you got "legal" advice, seems you don't know, don't care or want to circumvent the rules.

If you want to kill 10 ~ 20 and the property isn't in MLDP system you'll have to have people with appropriate tags available kill them.
What makes them your deer?

After you figure out how to legally kill / tag the doe you can find a place to donate them here ---> Hunters for the Hungry
Posted By: jmc82

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 02:05 PM

popcorn
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 02:35 PM

Quote:
I could always just dump them in a draw and forget about them,

I'd sure love to catch you doing it.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 02:40 PM

shoot all the does you legally have tags for and donate them to hunters for the hungry or thru a donation program at your local processor.

for those suggesting meat hunts, its easier said than done. scheduling is a nightmare and there is only two weekends left in the general season.

not to mention some people can't shoot and will only miss or wound the does.

When we have to take excess does we always did the culling ourselves with a few close friends who we knew could shoot and take the does and not sight see
Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 02:41 PM

Get on here and ask for everyone's opinions, then shoot them all down when given.
And propose to break the law.
Hmmm
How's that working out for you?
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: longhorn_cop
Get on here and ask for everyone's opinions, then shoot them all down when given.
And propose to break the law.
Hmmm
How's that working out for you?

cheers popcorn
Posted By: BMD

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 02:50 PM

That would be called illegal without MLD permits. Go ahead and post your number pretty sure the warden would like to discuss the illegal harvest of said does up

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: BBD84

I take my sister and girlfriend (see earlier posts) that both have licenses and do hunt sometimes, but I didn't start this thread for legal advice. I could always just dump them in a draw and forget about them, but I am making an effort to seek advice. That should provide enough credit to my case, so answer the question and quit using all caps. No one wants to read that ****.

You said you were only one that could shoot? Just because they have tags if you pull trigger you broke the law!

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68
Mills county is a five deer county A.B. I assume this is in the Childress area and don't know the law up there. Problem solved here in a hurry. up

If this is in Childress county and small place he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about in the first place!
Posted By: RUM Mann

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 03:04 PM

This is crazy
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 03:24 PM

With a snotty brat attitude like this I'm surprised anyone is willing lend an ear or offer any advice. Goodluck with whatever you do.
Posted By: Hunter-4-Life

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 03:33 PM

wow this is crazy

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
With a snotty brat attitude like this I'm surprised anyone is willing lend an ear or offer any advice. Goodluck with whatever you do.

Well the only advice I would give him is unless that place had a cross fence, that he at least clean all the hair off the fence he pulled it through before taking pictures of it.
Posted By: J Loves Huntin

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 03:48 PM

k honestly just follow the rules or have a disabled hunt. at the same time don't jump on him for being a bit frustrated with his predicament. having a vet hunt or kid hunt is an awesome idea that my family has benefited greatly from.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 03:59 PM

I'm sorry, it is 5 deer. So buy a chest freezer and kill the 15 does and be done with it. I don't know why in the hell you would want to kill so many, but get after it.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 04:00 PM

I wish I had too many does. I know some people who would really love to come out and take one. They would probably be greatful as well. I'm sure you'll do the right thing.
Posted By: stuko

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 04:07 PM

What do you guys suggest?

If you don't want peoples advice, don't ask for it.

I also recommend not posting that you are going to dump deer in a ditch on a forum that is full of 1. law abiding, responsible hunters. 2. game wardens, and expect some sort of reward since
I am making an effort to seek advice. That should provide enough credit to my case

45 post into the forum and you have made tons of friends.

Let me ask you wise one... What kind of response did you think you were going to get?

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Quote:
I could always just dump them in a draw and forget about them,

I'd sure love to catch you doing it.

popcorn
Posted By: glasshole

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 04:09 PM

I can't believe I am even posting but somebody already mentioned it and I am surprised more people didn't Hunters for the Hungry man...not that difficult. shoot your limit, tag your deer, field dress them and drop them off at a participating processor.

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 04:12 PM

popcorn
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 04:14 PM

dont act like a D-bag and be ugly to people on here when you are the one asking for advice....the best thing to do is to get your sister and whoever else has the "privlege" of getting to go hunt with you and shoot your LEGALLY allowed number of doe tags and be done with it. Almost all meat processors donate meat these days.....Im only being nice because you are a fellow Aggie, but im kinda ashamed that a fellow Aggie is being rude and even possibly thinking about breaking the law and being unethical....sad
Posted By: GreenAggie

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 04:22 PM

popcorn
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 04:31 PM

Anyhow, why let anyone else shoot my deer?

The state of Texas disagrees with you...
Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 04:51 PM

The subject of this post and some of yur replies leads me to question your knowledge and experience. So, what makes you so sure you need to take that many does in the 1st place?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 04:56 PM

You need to get on the lamps program its the best way to get your doe taken care of without getting on mld imo.... no need to get on here and start runnin your mouth when someone trys to give you advice.

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: fowlplayr
The subject of this post and some of yur replies leads me to question your knowledge and experience. So, what makes you so sure you need to take that many does in the 1st place?
Posted By: Armalite260

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 05:13 PM

troll

This DB is off his rocker..
Posted By: woodwalker

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
You need to get on the lamps program its the best way to get your doe taken care of without getting on mld imo.... no need to get on here and start runnin your mouth when someone trys to give you advice.

Good advice.

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 06:42 PM

Any bets on whether he'll respond back after he got bashed for being an idiot?? lol
Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 07:00 PM

To answer your question " Why should I let anyone shoot my deer"
is really easy and I'll even give you an example. Several years ago we needed to have 10-15 does taken off our property and we took several kids from Church and a few veterans hunting. If you ever have a chance to sit with a young man or woman as they shoot their first deer and watch their reaction it will make you so proud and happy. Then take a veteran that hasn't hunted in years and watch them as the memories come back to them is priceless. The pride that you will fill in yourself after doing this is priceless. Yes it is a pain with the logistics of taking others hunting but it is well worth in.
Posted By: Aaron12

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 07:14 PM

I would be HAPPY to take all the legally tagged deer off your hands. I will proccess them myself and give them to my local church who allways needs help dureing the holidays. just throwing that out there please dont throw them in a ditch
Posted By: RDNCK

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Aaron12

I would be HAPPY to take all the legally tagged deer off your hands. I will proccess them myself and give them to my local church who allways needs help dureing the holidays. just throwing that out there please dont throw them in a ditch

X2
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 08:24 PM

be thankful ya have that many deer ta see, if they not starving, just think of the bucks they'll draw.. tis a good thing..

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: quackaholic1
To answer your question " Why should I let anyone shoot my deer"
is really easy and I'll even give you an example. Several years ago we needed to have 10-15 does taken off our property and we took several kids from Church and a few veterans hunting. If you ever have a chance to sit with a young man or woman as they shoot their first deer and watch their reaction it will make you so proud and happy. Then take a veteran that hasn't hunted in years and watch them as the memories come back to them is priceless. The pride that you will fill in yourself after doing this is priceless. Yes it is a pain with the logistics of taking others hunting but it is well worth in.

ill second that.....i use to go guide with the Operation Orphans deal down in Mason. Great thing to see a child/teenager enjoy a weekend away from a foster home, orphanage, and to see them shoot a deer or even see one for the first time......priceless!!!
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: What to do with doe - 12/28/12 11:48 PM

"It's best to keep quiet and let everyone think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

I'm pretty sure he's done talking to us.
Posted By: jusputitonmytab

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 12:34 AM

Looks like he got ran off.
Posted By: Britton

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 01:35 AM

With his response about dumping deer, he shouldn't be allowed to hunt at all. What a disgrace to hunters.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 04:50 AM

Take what is legal to take and share it with neighbors or the needy. The others will hang around and move off your property when they get ready to.
I am upset that you stated you want to shoot them and dump them. That is terrible and very wrong! And illegal. Ashamed of your attitude.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 04:54 AM

Goodness. Some of y'all need a lesson or two in reading comprehension. He never said that he wanted to dump them or was going to. He said he could, in an attempt to make a point.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 05:05 AM

ok Sneaky, but it was poor judgement on his part to make a statement like that! He crossed the line and he could have chosen to say something better but he didn't. He asked for critism from fellow hunters who respect the law and the animals.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Goodness. Some of y'all need a lesson or two in reading comprehension. He never said that he wanted to dump them or was going to. He said he could, in an attempt to make a point.

Did I miss read the part where he insinuated that he was going to use other people's tags since he didn't have enough and wasn't on MLD?

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Did I miss read the part where he insinuated that he was going to use other people's tags since he didn't have enough and wasn't on MLD?

Not sure. I get that impression, too, although he didn't say it out right.

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By: My stand is pink camo
ok Sneaky, but it was poor judgement on his part to make a statement like that! He crossed the line and he could have chosen to say something better but he didn't. He asked for critism from fellow hunters who respect the law and the animals.

Maybe it was. Criticize away. Just stick to criticizing what he actually stated.

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 11:50 AM

No comprehension problems here, to even suggest that he could have dumped them is a very bad point indeed.

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 02:52 PM

No comprehension issues here. He stated he could dump them as if that were an option in his mind. The mere mention that this would somehow be OK as an option...IS NOT OK...morally, ethically or legally..
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 02:54 PM

"It's best to keep quiet and let everyone think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Originally Posted By: jusputitonmytab

Looks like "Elvis has left the building" and now everyone is hasseling among themselves......

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill

No comprehension issues here. He stated he could dump them as if that were an option in his mind. The mere mention that this would somehow be OK as an option...IS NOT OK...morally, ethically or legally..

He never said or implied that it was okay. He was making a point. You missed it.

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Originally Posted By: jusputitonmytab

Looks like "Elvis has left the building" and now everyone is hasseling among themselves......

Do you think the lack of a monkey in the middle is going to stop a good hasseling? Nope.

Re: What to do with doe - 12/29/12 06:54 PM

He never said or implied that it was okay. He was making a point. You missed it.

I don't think so...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum