Texas Hunting Forum

got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do.

Posted By: sunsetroosters

got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 06:20 AM

so you guys may remember a while back i had made a post about a guy i had got on camera that was on horesback checking out my feeder.... well i had spoke to the police and they told me i could press charges if we found him. well i did find him earlier in the season and called them and the other cop that came out wouldnt do anything but give him a warning... well i go get in my stand today to take my nephew hunting for christmas and my lil buddy heater was gone and my game camera that was set on my stand was missing.... this is so dang irritating... what would you do
Posted By: Gadget Bob

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 06:33 AM

Hi sunsetroosters,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I would hide a new "No Glo" game camera (such as the Stealth Cam Super Sniper) to provide coverage over your hunting stand in your absence. Maybe you can get pictures of your crooks at some point.

I think you should also file a police report on this stolen property now, in case it get recovered.

Good Luck,
Posted By: brent1

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 12:30 PM

I would file a report since it is an ongoing problem
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 03:32 PM

Don't much you can do but make another report.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 04:09 PM

I would start by locking my stand and everything around it.

Camera's might work if you can hide them well enough, but you might try catching him in the act. Find the likely access point that he enters you're property and put the cameras there instead of at the stand where he will be looking for them.

Sounds like it's a neighbor and you know who it is, so I would warn others that live around you, and tell them that you are filing reports, and that your property is being watched.
Maybe word will get back to him that the heat is on.
Posted By: texaspride93

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 04:31 PM

My brother had his phone and wallet stolen from the gym 6-7 months ago. The kid who stole them was caught on camera stealing them, and using the debit card both on camera. I knew the kid and fully identified him first, middle and last name and the address of both his house and his parents house. The cops said they would call us ASAP and we have not heard from the cops yet, 6 months later. Hard to abide by the law when they will not help out citizens, needless to say my brother has his phone, wallet and punitive damages back
Posted By: Navasot

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 04:33 PM

Thats some bs... someone needs a good arse whoopin
Posted By: Gadget Bob

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 04:33 PM

Hi Jimbo,

Good tip on setting up the camera at the entry/exit point!

Regards,
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 04:49 PM

Sorry to hear that Sunsetroosters! We have been having problems too. Here is advice we have been given: file another report, contact Game Warden, post signs all over your property, hide game cameras to view your other cameras or feeder or blind. I know this is so irritating! Good luck! I hope the bad guy gets caught and pays his dues!

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: texaspride93
My brother had his phone and wallet stolen from the gym 6-7 months ago. The kid who stole them was caught on camera stealing them, and using the debit card both on camera. I knew the kid and fully identified him first, middle and last name and the address of both his house and his parents house. The cops said they would call us ASAP and we have not heard from the cops yet, 6 months later. Hard to abide by the law when they will not help out citizens, needless to say my brother has his phone, wallet and punitive damages back
i know this is the kind of stuff that really ticks me off....it becomes not in my best interest to try to use the law and be a law abiding citizen in these situations
Posted By: theman6515

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 05:55 PM

i have had a lot of hay stolen out of my barn. I did the detective works and have quite a few pictures and videos of the theft in the act. the law did nothing and i was advised by the law to put trail cameras to try and catch him. I can tell you that he was driving around less than 2 days later. I have kinda lost my respect for the law.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 06:20 PM

im thinking of setting up a huge bear trap by one of my cameras, not sure if this is legal yet or not
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I would start by locking my stand and everything around it.

Camera's might work if you can hide them well enough, but you might try catching him in the act. Find the likely access point that he enters you're property and put the cameras there instead of at the stand where he will be looking for them.

Sounds like it's a neighbor and you know who it is, so I would warn others that live around you, and tell them that you are filing reports, and that your property is being watched.
Maybe word will get back to him that the heat is on.

x2
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 06:56 PM

I would have /would call the GW, he would probably be more helpful.

I probably shouldn't say what I would do if I knew where he lived or what he drives, but property wise, he'd pay 10 to 1.
Posted By: TMc

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 07:13 PM

Booby traps are NOT legal - They are a heck of alot of Fun, but NOT LEGAL, LOL (they cannot discriminate between the would be thief and an innocent trespasser, lol... I know there is no such thing as a ...)
Posted By: stuko

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 07:40 PM

Get all camo'd out and tuck yourself into a bush. When he comes up to your stand, shoot him. Tell the cops you thought it was a deer??

I'm jk. Man I hate thieves.
Posted By: THP

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 07:56 PM

File another police report, but a Game Warden can be a good friend when your not there. Some of them, will keep a closer eye out if they know there is a problem. Had this problem a few years back in west texas and the GM is who caught the guy. All of our missing equipment was at the guys house too!
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: sunsetroosters
so you guys may remember a while back i had made a post about a guy i had got on camera that was on horesback checking out my feeder....
Horse isn't bad when cooked right. Just sayin'.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/27/12 10:54 PM

Don't expect too much help from Law Enforcement. They have a lot on their plate (in addition to donuts) and aren't going to worry much about your small loss. It's not an income generator for them, and they'd much rather write speeding tickets - which is an income generator.

I worked with a young woman some years back and she had her new truck stolen. The cop took a report and didn't call back. After a week or two she called them and was told that her truck was probably in Mexico now, so use the insurance money to get a new truck. That was the end of that law enforcement effort. She went and got a new truck.
Posted By: Texican

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/28/12 12:04 AM

I'd set up a tree stand. Then hunt your feeder AND the old blind.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/28/12 12:57 AM

Whatever you do, don't leave a live rattle snake in the stand.
Posted By: jusputitonmytab

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/28/12 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: retfuz

rofl
Posted By: hardheadeddoe

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/28/12 03:14 AM

game wardens are the ones that need to be contacted rather the local pd. some help, most dont.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/28/12 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
Don't expect too much help from Law Enforcement. They have a lot on their plate (in addition to donuts) and aren't going to worry much about your small loss. It's not an income generator for them, and they'd much rather write speeding tickets - which is an income generator.

I worked with a young woman some years back and she had her new truck stolen. The cop took a report and didn't call back. After a week or two she called them and was told that her truck was probably in Mexico now, so use the insurance money to get a new truck. That was the end of that law enforcement effort. She went and got a new truck.

I'm glad to see that there's so many internet experts out there offering up solid advice like this. Warms my heart. (Sarcasm).
Posted By: ccoker

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/28/12 04:38 PM

I would like to put a fake coiled up rattler in the blind...
Posted By: Johnny Bone

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/28/12 04:50 PM

Law Enforcement is a joke when it comes to hunters, ranchers and farmers. The GW is the way to go and sometimes they will not follow up or anything else. Catch the fool in the act if you can, and put a stop to it.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/28/12 05:12 PM

Don't start a war (kill his horse or something stupid) with the POS because like Dad always told me: you have a lot more to lose than him. File a police report though. Thieves and criminals are usually idiots and at some point he will be arrested for something and more often than not stolen property gets confiscated. If they have it on file there is a chance you will get it back. Also not a bad idea to melt your name into your stuff with a soldering iron too so the name can't be removed. Won't stop it from being stolen but its identifyable.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/28/12 05:31 PM

I don't understand why you're involving the police / "cops" in this unless the trespassing & theft occurred in city limits.

File a report with the sheriffs office, call the GW let him know what is going on.
IF they don't seem to care go up the chain until you find someone that does.
Sheriffs are elected officials the last thing they want is a reputation of being soft on crime when election time comes around.
I know the Sheriff & GW in the county our property is in are bonafide hard arse's. ( in a good way)

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/28/12 07:19 PM

Sorry I upset you Landpirate, but that is the way I feel and the truck episode happened. She was my secretary back then, so I had to listen to every problem she had. Most problems were her boyfriends, but one of them was the truck.

And I never represented myself as an internet expert and what I stated wasn't advice. I've just observed the world over my 60ish years and LE just has not impressed me. And if the income generation thing hit a sore spot with anybody, once a small town had died enough that there's not enough of a tax base to keep basic services going, that's when a lot of those towns pull out the ticket books.

My good buddy's granddaughter's boyfriend (he's a nice guy) was a small town cop until recently. He did something to tick off the boss and he got canned. You should hear him complain about having to get a real job and go to work on time. And his golf handicap has started to slide. He wants to dump the real job and go back to riding around in a car.

And I've got some quite funny stories about rent-a-cops that we used for security from time to time at the various refineries and chemical plants we had (a guy that worked for me did the contracts to arrange for the off duty cops).

So no...I have not been impressed so far.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/28/12 07:36 PM

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 05:48 AM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate

I'm glad to see that there's so many internet experts out there offering up solid advice like this. Warms my heart. (Sarcasm).
sad to say but this has honestly been basically every experience i have ever had with law enforcement

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 05:52 AM

oh and for the record about three days ago i called the local game warden, left a message about how i have someone poaching on my property and had some stuff stolen and i have yet to get a call back

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: sunsetroosters

sad to say but this has honestly been basically every experience i have ever had with law enforcement

It is sad indeed. Perhaps y'all (your community) need to closely examine who is being elected Sheriff or appointed Police Chief. Sounds like changes are in order.

As for stolen vehicles; there's little LE can do once it's gone. If it goes to MX then it's usually there before you wake up and discover that it's missing. By the time you file a report your vehicle is either in a chop shop, in MX (off limits) or running drugs and illegals on the border. If not it will eventually turn up. Either dumped somewhere or a patrolman will run a plate and get a hit. Then a pursuit will ensue in which the vehicle will generally be wrecked and totaled.

If and when your vehicle turns up you'll get call. Not until. What is it that you expect? Minute by minute updates? "Nope, still haven't found your vehicle, sorry".

If you're not getting satisfaction from LE go up the chain of command and demand more. Go to the Chief or the Sheriff. You have to understand that most rural areas of Texas pay very little. As such they often don't attract the most qualified applicants. Nor do they typically attract the most experienced. Many hire on, stay for two years and then move on to a bigger, higher paying department. So sometimes they might need a little motivation to get going. Call a higher ranking officer to get a fire lit.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 03:05 PM

You ask what it is that I expect when I've been victimized...the answer is that I want to know that the people we pay to "serve and protect" us give at least a tiny damn about what has happened to me and are giving a fair shot at getting my stolen property or whatever back to me. I want to think that people we pay to work for us in that manner aren't making their own value judgement about the worth of the wrong that was done to me, and then judging it to be of not enough value to worry about. I want to think that I am getting fair value for the money that I contribute to our police force. And fair value, by my measure, isn't getting a speeding ticket or having my neighbors get speeding tickets. That's a revenue generator, it is not police work.

And let me ask a question of those of you that are not in law enforcement. When are you most likely to see or encounter a police officer? Let me give a small hint....will you be in your car when that happens?
Posted By: NVC--

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 03:08 PM

Are you the property owner? If not verify w the land owner who all access to the property. Make a point to set up several days ina row but change your routine. Is there a way you can hide your vehicle or be dropped off. Make your place inviting as to say no one is here. Catch the guy and then start shooting in his direction w a nice semi auto. I am not saying shoot him
..just scare him and the horse. If he gets bucked and gets hurt oh well. He was trespassing and you feared for your life. Plus its fun to watch cockroaches run!
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 03:30 PM

You ask what it is that I expect when I've been victimized...the answer is that I want to know that the people we pay to "serve and protect" us give at least a tiny damn about what has happened to me and are giving a fair shot at getting my stolen property or whatever back to me. I want to think that people we pay to work for us in that manner aren't making their own value judgement about the worth of the wrong that was done to me, and then judging it to be of not enough value to worry about. I want to think that I am getting fair value for the money that I contribute to our police force. And fair value, by my measure, isn't getting a speeding ticket or having my neighbors get speeding tickets. That's a revenue generator, it is not police work.

And let me ask a question of those of you that are not in law enforcement. When are you most likely to see or encounter a police officer? Let me give a small hint....will you be in your car when that happens?

The "we pay their salary argument" will bite you in the rear-end everytime. If you are LEOs' boss because you pay taxes, LEOs are their own boss because they also pay taxes, ergo they pay their own salary and can use your arguement to tell you to go jump in a lake.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 03:47 PM

You need to understand LE. So I'm going to explain it to you.

First, most decent people will only deal with LE on traffic because they are generally NOT criminals.

Secondly, officers generally do not set about on their own to work traffic. It comes down from the top. Just like your boss tells to you to do XYZ. If you want to keep your job you'll do it or go stand in the unemployment line.

Thirdly, officers work traffic because traffic collisions occupy so much of their time. If citizens would police themselves then there would be no need for the police to do it.

Finally, patrol officers are generalist. They're expected to do everything. As such, many lack the time, training, expertise, or resources to do specific jobs. They're assigned to a district and expected to respond to every call for service in that district. They're expected to patrol business districts, neighborhoods, schools. They're expected to do traffic enforcement. They're expected to take reports.

Once a report is taken it's handed over to a detective. He probably carries a case load of 30 or 40 cases at any given time. As such, he must prioritize them. Crimes against people (robbery, homicide, sexual assault, child abuse, assault) are priority one. Property crimes are second, or third.

The police chief will ask for more officers, more detectives, more money for training, etc, but it'll be a trade off. County Commissioners and City Councils will give a fraction of what was asked for. Therefore, LE is operating a step behind all the time.

The only exception will be when the politicians figure out that they can make money off of traffic enforcement. Then they'll approve a traffic division dedicated to one single task...Traffic Enforcement.

So before you blow off and blame it all on the dirty, rotten, donut eating cops perhaps you should take a more vested interest in your local happenings and understand them a little better. I encourage everyone to attend your local LE's Citizen Academy to really learn and understand what they do. And what you can do to make them more effective.

I'm not going to say that there aren't poorly managed and useless departments out there. I know of a few. But they generally a direct result of city management.

How can you, John Q. Citizen, change that?

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 03:50 PM

PS>>>> When it comes to revenue generation through traffic enforcement, follow the money.

It doesn't got into the department's budget. It goes into the counties or cities general fund. Now you see who is really driving this vehicle.

Most cops I know do not enjoy traffic enforcement. I personally hate it. I go out of my way to avoid it. But sometimes it's necessary because people do dumb crap all the time.
Posted By: wrknonit

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 05:03 PM

When you're talking about small communities or rural areas, you gotta worry about who the LEO and the alleged perpetrator are too. I once had a neighbor get drunk, jump in his truck, come speed through my front yard, over my driveway and ram into the back end of my truck. He was obviously drunk and when the police got there, the officer just let him walk home. I was told that since nobody actually saw him driving, he couldn't arrest him. THE GUYS WRECKED TRUCK WAS STILL SITTING IN MY YARD, but somehow that wasn't proof enough that he had driven it there. Come to find out later that the responding officer and the neighbor were "old buddies" from high school and had played football together. Sometimes, LE is well aware of who the troublemakers are but since they are old friends, they do nothing.

Mike brings up good points. What do we expect them to do? I personally don't know, but something more than gets done would be nice.

And, no, I didn't pursue the matter with his superiors. I have to live here, and making enemies in local LE is not a good idea. So my only choice was to Suck it and deal with it.

Sometimes, it don't pay to fight the good ole' boys, especially when they have the authority to make yer life a living hell. Be careful.
texas
Posted By: graysonhuntndr

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 05:17 PM

I love how people keep defending the police and the LE. He is the one being robbed and nothing is happening from the people that hired by tax dollars to protect and serve.

Start stealing his stuff and shoot his horse!
Posted By: killemall

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 05:30 PM

my experience is most are ticket writers period, when it comes to theiving you better take care of your own stuff, they write a report, tell you to get a secuirity system and go on their marry way. About the only time they ever catch a thief is when they completely luck into it. If you are fortunate to live in the county then you are truely on your own. It is what it is. Even filing a report is a waste of your time and the leo unless it is an insured item.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 06:48 PM

You need to understand LE. So I'm going to explain it to you.

First, most decent people will only deal with LE on traffic because they are generally NOT criminals.

Secondly, officers generally do not set about on their own to work traffic. It comes down from the top. Just like your boss tells to you to do XYZ. If you want to keep your job you'll do it or go stand in the unemployment line.

Thirdly, officers work traffic because traffic collisions occupy so much of their time. If citizens would police themselves then there would be no need for the police to do it.

Finally, patrol officers are generalist. They're expected to do everything. As such, many lack the time, training, expertise, or resources to do specific jobs. They're assigned to a district and expected to respond to every call for service in that district. They're expected to patrol business districts, neighborhoods, schools. They're expected to do traffic enforcement. They're expected to take reports.

Once a report is taken it's handed over to a detective. He probably carries a case load of 30 or 40 cases at any given time. As such, he must prioritize them. Crimes against people (robbery, homicide, sexual assault, child abuse, assault) are priority one. Property crimes are second, or third.

The police chief will ask for more officers, more detectives, more money for training, etc, but it'll be a trade off. County Commissioners and City Councils will give a fraction of what was asked for. Therefore, LE is operating a step behind all the time.

The only exception will be when the politicians figure out that they can make money off of traffic enforcement. Then they'll approve a traffic division dedicated to one single task...Traffic Enforcement.

So before you blow off and blame it all on the dirty, rotten, donut eating cops perhaps you should take a more vested interest in your local happenings and understand them a little better. I encourage everyone to attend your local LE's Citizen Academy to really learn and understand what they do. And what you can do to make them more effective.

I'm not going to say that there aren't poorly managed and useless departments out there. I know of a few. But they generally a direct result of city management.

How can you, John Q. Citizen, change that?

Nah, I'd rather just complain.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 07:13 PM

Yup, blame then Indians, not the chief.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 07:46 PM

Last time I checked police officers only gave tickets to guys who were breaking the law. If you don't want to see them don't break the law.
Sunset, if you've been robbed more than once you need to rethink what you've been doing.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 07:55 PM

Grout scout you are right about him rethinking because calling Leo is a complete waste of time.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 08:03 PM

Killem, I keep a special ticket book just for you buddy.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 08:09 PM

LP those were good posts.

I,too, get kinda sick at what I perceive is 98% traffic crap when I think of LE.
But 1)my perception is wrong because that just happens to be where I see/encounter LE and 2)to the extent that is the case it is local politicians who want it that way.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: retfuz

Or a bobcat.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 08:23 PM

Well its kind of hard to be upset when YOU are the one who left your gear unsecured. Folks always get mad when they leave their garages open and get burglarized or their vehicles running which get stolen. Remember that line from Full Metal Jacket? "If there is one thing in this world I hate, it is an unlocked footlocker! But seriously, keep your belongings secure, labeled in a hidden place, and take photos of them. As stated before, a twenty dollar heater is going to fall very low on the priority list. Give the investigator as much info as you can, and try to be patient...sometimes the system works.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 08:37 PM

Fine by me, money is not my problem, I will take the ticket or the lecture. Not both.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 09:17 PM

Yep, Law Enforcement will not go out of their way for smaller ticket items, even though a little buddy heater costs considerably more than $20.

Over ten years ago, two days after I closed on the house, it got broken into and the dishwasher, stove, and fridge were stolen. The deputy told me he had a good idea of who was responsible. Left me with the impression they might put some pressure on the guy who did this, who lived across the road and three properties down. He was a known drug addict and convicted felon. I ask my neighbors if they saw anything the next day, one says the suspect had tried to sell them some new appliances the previous evening. Yes, the same evening they were stolen! Called the deputy, told him, nothing ever happened.

Months later, the guy is arrested and sent back to prison, turns out my appliances were in the house being used the whole time.

A few years later, my wife's car gets backed into while parked on the square downtown. A witness gets the LP number and comes in to tell my wife, who walks outside just in time to see the offender drive off. My wife's rear bumper was damaged to the tune of a few hundred dollars. She calls the city police, they take a statement from the wife and witness, who hung around long enough to do the right thing. Weeks go by, I called the officer who took the report, then the investigating officer I was referred to. No progress, nothing to report. I then told him the name and address of the offender, the fact that they were home at the time, and that I was parked down the road watching the lady mow her yard at that very moment, and if he had time to clear his books of this one now would be a great time to do it. I was chastised by the officer for getting involved in any way, and that I should let it all go, file it on MY insurance, and move on. Yeah, let me pay for it? Three years later, no peep out of anyone about this. I have actually came out of the grocery store once and found the very same car that hit my wife's car, parked right next to my wife's same car. Black smudge on the bumper, right where it crunched the black plastic corner of the wife's rear bumper.

This stuff would be funny if they weren't such obvious slam dunks for the deputies and officers involved.

On a more positive note though. About 6 months ago I walked out to go to work one morning and the smell of meth about knocked me down. It was lingering in the air horribly, and covered most of the street. I called it in on my way to work, and gave them the general area. They asked for particulars several times, and I told them to just drive down the street with the windows down, they'd smell it.

Two days, nothing, still smell the meth very strong in the neighborhood. I stopped by the Sheriff's office on my home one evening, and had a crowd gathered around beofre I was done assuring them I would be there every evening after work until the smell of Meth disappeared from the neighborhood, and I bet them I could get more neighbors to join me.

We saw no less than an invasion of law enforcement into our neighborhood for the next two weeks. The odor went away almost immediately upon their presence, and hasn't been smelled again since then. Thumbs up to them on finally getting around to it.

I'm not a cop hater. I am just enough of a realist to understand that sometimes, even when the case is handed to them on a silver platter, getting the job done is just more than some can muster.

Posted By: DMW

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 10:04 PM

What exactly is it that you think the police should do? If the truck was taken to Mexico or chopped up and made unrecoverable, what should the police do, according to your expertise? Check every truck that looked like hers? Then you would probably be belly-aching about how the cops were violating people's rights. I seriously doubt that the police could do much of anything to appease you.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: DMW
[quote=603Country]Don't expect too much help from Law Enforcement. They have a lot on their plate (in addition to donuts) and aren't going to worry much about your small loss. It's not an income generator for them, and they'd much rather write speeding tickets - which is an income generator.

What exactly is it that you think the police should do? If the truck was taken to Mexico or chopped up and made unrecoverable, what should the police do, according to your expertise? Check every truck that looked like hers? Then you would probably be belly-aching about how the cops were violating people's rights. I seriously doubt that the police could do much of anything to appease you.

I think Leo should be honest and tell victims of crime that they are going to do close to nothing about it, that they are not going to return their calls, and unless the perp gets caught it one of the many speed traps they have set up and the stuff is in the back of the truck with a sign that says stolen on it we can't catch them. If you are not even going to try that's fine, just own it. They ought to stick Leo at the schools so at least they could look like they do something a few hours a day.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 11:47 PM

Your post would be laughable if it weren't so pitiful....What happened? Did you get a ticket that you didn't deserve? Get turned down for a job in Law Enforcement? You very obviously have NO idea what you are talking about, and your pitiful attempts at disparaging LEO's are sad! I suppose you think you would be safer and better off without law enforcement officers, Sad...........

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/29/12 11:48 PM

So DMW, you wonder what it is I would want LE to do on the truck (which wasn't mine). Who knew where the truck was at the time. Was it in Mexico? Was it parked down the street from the police department or in the lot at the donut shop? My secretary didn't know where her truck was, and she (and I) thought it not unreasonable for the police to make at least a tiny effort to look for it. It was new, red, and had a personalized plate. I'm going out on a shaky limb here, but that IS what they are supposed to be doing at least some of the time, isn't it?

Just had a string of thefts out here in the country. People all around me had houses broken into and expensive items taken (TV, riding mowers, welding machines, ATV's, etc.) LE came and wrote reports. I asked my neighbors recently if they'd gotten any of their gear back (NOPE) or if the cops had called them back to give any sort of feedback (NOPE). Cows are being stolen lately, nothing at all is being done, though I have to admit that I don't know who to call in the case of felony theft of a cow..

So...DMW, what do you think that LE should be doing? Obviously I must be missing something. Maybe I don't see the "Big Picture". What I really don't see is LE involvement (other than report writing) in crime solving out here in the sticks. And in my 35 years in suburban Houston, when things got stolen in the subdivision and cars got broken into, none of that ever got solved. So what do they do? I know that they do ride around in their cars.

I think that somebody should now step up and give us a heartwarming story about LE involvement in something that made their personal life better. And I don't mean the part about your wife flirting with a cop to avoid a ticket.
Posted By: Nshotput

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 02:33 AM

Let me start by saying my father was a cop for 28 years and I know and respect the job but my first night in SAn Antonio gave me a bad taste for LE. I moved here with my family since this is where the military sent me. With an infant and five year old kid wife and dog after making three trips with luggage into the room of the hotel after fourteen hours of driving I was spent so on the third trip to the truck I covered my guns with blankets in the backseat floor of the truck in full light in view of the front desk of the front desk of the hotel desk(boat was attached so I had to park sideways). Next morning my rear window and truck cap window were smashed. Called the cops, benelli m2 and a brand new never fired savage with a plaque from my last unit stolen(in addition to other things) gone. Cop shows up takes my statement and doesn't even bother to get out of the car and leaves. I couldn't believe it.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 02:45 AM

Your post would be laughable if it weren't so pitiful....What happened? Did you get a ticket that you didn't deserve? Get turned down for a job in Law Enforcement? You very obviously have NO idea what you are talking about, and your pitiful attempts at disparaging LEO's are sad! I suppose you think you would be safer and better off without law enforcement officers, Sad...........

None of the above, I live in the county, and in parker county you pretty much have no Leos, short of someone to show up 30 to an hour after you call and take a report. I have plenty of idea of what I speak. Really don't care what you think, my guess is you are a wannabe reserve deputy of some sort, you suffer from little man syndrome like the rest do.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 03:27 AM

Sooooo, we're supposed to call out the forensic crime scene team every time a car get's broke in to, huh? Sorry your guns were stolen. Did you provide serial numbers? You do realize that SA is only 2 hours from the border right? By the time you reported the offense your guns are in Mexico, in the hands of a cartel member. Or in some gangbanger's hands in SA.

As for the stolen truck with personalized plates. If you stole a vehicle would you leave the original plates on it? Me neither. Let's try a little exercise for all the of armchair PoPo here. Over the next week I'd like y'all to take note of every blue late model Chevrolet 1500 crewcab you see. Or every late model Ford crewcab. Or Dodge. You will soon see that when you're looking for a specific vehicle you will see them every freaking where.

My captain's truck was stolen recently in San Marcos. Late model maroon Dodge 2500 crewcab. It was recovered a week and half later by Webb Co. It was loaded up with dope and illegals. Led the locals on a 1 hour chase that ran through ranches, brush and finally a splash down in the Rio Grande.

How many trucks just like his do you suppose are running up and down the road? How many of those are in close enough proximity to a cop so that he could run the tags? Would he have a reason to run the tags? We don't run around all day running every LP we see. You know that, right?

Some of y'all have been done wrong. I offer no excuses. I cannot comment on your situation because I have personal knowledge of the circumstances. As for others here, y'all have some really unrealistic expectations. Y'all need to reexamine what's real and what's Hollywood TV garbage.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 03:44 AM

LandPirate, Mike, you have forgotten the people you work for. You have forgotten the people you serve.

You're starting to sound like an elected representative in Washington who has lost his compass and has abandoned his constituency.

Shameful!

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 03:47 AM

Would have felt better if they got out of the car and yes all info was provided. I know my guns are guns doesn't excuse being lazy. I still treat soldiers even if I know it's bs!

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 03:53 AM

Ehhh, I think I'll stick to respecting anybody that puts THEIR lives in danger to help protect mine. Maybe some of you cop haters are some of the ones stealing this cr@p?

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
LandPirate, Mike, you have forgotten the people you work for. You have forgotten the people you serve.

You're starting to sound like an elected representative in Washington who has lost his compass and has abandoned his constituency.

Shameful!

No sir, I haven't. I work in the very community I grew up in. I could have gone to Austin and made twice the money but it means something to me personally to work for "my people". I do my damnedest every day. It's made more difficult by the general public that get their ideas, notions, info, and expectations based on what they see on TV.

It's really aggravating when you have to play the political games that are pressed upon you. I got into LE to do a job, not play politics, yet I'm forced to daily.

The voting public has the power to change that but won't get out and vote. Most local elections have a turn out of 15%. Then everyone wants to bitch and complain about their perceived gripes when they don't truly understand the situation.

Anyway, for those that have been done wrong, I'm sorry. Wish I could help personally. I'd invite you to move to Buda but we have too many "outsiders" as it is.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 04:04 AM

I don't think anybody has unrealistic expectations, I don't think Leos put any effort into certain types of crime. I get it, but at the same time Joe public gets tired of getting no help when someone steals their stuff, breaks inttheirhouse, etc. All the while, in parker county their is a pile of dos writing tickets, hudson oaks pd is writing tickets by Wal-Mart and sitting across from boo rays to pass out a DWI, willow park pd is sitting across from railhead waiting to write a dwi, the county is backed up by the creek on old annetta rd, dont know what hé is doing there all day every day, taking a nap I suspect. Many feel that if there was more attention to crime, and less to tickets we may be better off. It's not all Leos but there are a bunch. Where I live is a joke.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 04:15 AM

Shameful!

No sir, I haven't. I work in the very community I grew up in. I could have gone to Austin and made twice the money but it means something to me personally to work for "my people". I do my damnedest every day. It's made more difficult by the general public that get their ideas, notions, info, and expectations based on what they see on TV.

It's really aggravating when you have to play the political games that are pressed upon you. I got into LE to do a job, not play politics, yet I'm forced to daily.

The voting public has the power to change that but won't get out and vote. Most local elections have a turn out of 15%. Then everyone wants to bitch and complain about their perceived gripes when they don't truly understand the situation.

Anyway, for those that have been done wrong, I'm sorry. Wish I could help personally. I'd invite you to move to Buda but we have too many "outsiders" as it is.

My apologies to you, Mike, and to LEOs everywhere who put on the badge every day.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: killemall

None of the above, I live in the county, and in parker county you pretty much have no Leos, short of someone to show up 30 to an hour after you call and take a report. I have plenty of idea of what I speak. Really don't care what you think, my guess is you are a wannabe reserve deputy of some sort, you suffer from little man syndrome like the rest do.

No sir, your guess is wrong on both counts. I am sorry you have such a low opinion of LEOs. Obviously, you have had some bad experiences with police officers, deputies,or something, and have come to think that all LEOs are lazy and/or incompetent. That is your privilege. But if you think that DWI and traffic enforcement is not important, you are mistaken. If you think that the officers in your county are not doing their job, you should take it up with the sheriff and/or the county commissioners. But painting all officers with such a broad brush is wrong.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 05:19 AM

I don't have a low opinion of leos at all but this was just a bad experience for me overall. The benelli was the first gun I saved for and bought after a deployment ( or two kids slow things down). That was why I brought it with me along with my new rifle. Either way having to ask a Cop to get out of their car when no bullets are flying wouldn't be a big deal but apparently it was. Sorry but even my dad asked wtf

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 02:36 PM

I agree, that not getting out of the car was unprofessional and discourteous. I would have at least checked with the office of the hotel to see if they have video. With that said, this guy probably works the district regularly and knows who does and does not have video.

I know my district well and know who does and who does not have video. I know who has good video and who has crappy video.

Just FYI, hotels/motels are targeted by car burglars. They usually hit with several people at once. Blitz type attack. They each hit one or two cars and then they're gone. They're seldom on scene more than a few minutes.

So, as with everything else, do not leave valuables in your car, especially at hotels/motels.
Posted By: Stinger13

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 03:00 PM

Fine by me, money is not my problem, I will take the ticket or the lecture. Not both.

Why not...you gave a lecture. As they say...ignorance is bliss....Keep thinking what you think and get caught like you do.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 03:14 PM

[quote=603Country]Don't expect too much help from Law Enforcement. They have a lot on their plate (in addition to donuts) and aren't going to worry much about your small loss. It's not an income generator for them, and they'd much rather write speeding tickets - which is an income generator.

I think Leo should be honest and tell victims of crime that they are going to do close to nothing about it, that they are not going to return their calls, and unless the perp gets caught it one of the many speed traps they have set up and the stuff is in the back of the truck with a sign that says stolen on it we can't catch them. If you are not even going to try that's fine, just own it. They ought to stick Leo at the schools so at least they could look like they do something a few hours a day.

You are one of those that couldn't be satisfied if they parked at your deer camp. If they called you every time you wanted they would not have time to patrol. Then you would complain about that. When you want one, you demand their presence. If you don't want one, you think they should disappear. Can't have it both ways. I don't know what kind of work you do, but it sure must not be around the public.
Let's add this little tidbit. Most departments don't get involved with little minor accidents if there are no injuries, especially those in parking lots. After the bump it is an insurance civil matter which they do not get involved in. Seeing police on the highways is not a bad thing. How the hell do you think the criminals get to where they do the crime? Oh yeah, they carried your stuff in a backpack and walked home. Sounds like you should take up golf or bowling and bitch about sandbaggers and cheaters.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 03:21 PM

Up till now, all I've had to say on LE was negative. Please understand that I don't consider all of LE to be worthless. I'm sure that there are many young people, male and female, doing all they can to make us all safer. And, we are better off with the LE personnel we have than we would be without them. That said, I do expect more from them than we are getting. I don't expect the forensics team to come out to work my case of the missing riding mower, but I do expect somebody from LE to come out and at least pretend to care. I am extremely disappointed with the feeling I get from LandPirate's comments that suggest that they couldn't solve the problem anyway, so why spend a bunch of time working on it. You wouldn't want your EMS people to give up on you like that or not even try to treat you. They'd get fired if they did that. But LE can give poor performance after poor performance and all they do is go on to the next report writing instance. We, as the people they work for, tolerate that. The world used to consist of 'the good guys' and 'the bad guys', but now it seems that our world is 'the good guys','the bad guys', and 'the cops'. And since the cops haven't done anything good for us in recent memory, except write tickets, it's real hard for me to include them with the good guys. And I venture to guess, based on my time in the USMC Military Police, that the cops don't consider us to be their friend. Why should they? LE lives in its own little insular world, which doesn't include the people they are supposed to protect and serve.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 03:24 PM

I don't think anybody has unrealistic expectations, I don't think Leos put any effort into certain types of crime. I get it, but at the same time Joe public gets tired of getting no help when someone steals their stuff, breaks inttheirhouse, etc. All the while, in parker county their is a pile of dos writing tickets, hudson oaks pd is writing tickets by Wal-Mart and sitting across from boo rays to pass out a DWI, willow park pd is sitting across from railhead waiting to write a dwi, the county is backed up by the creek on old annetta rd, dont know what hé is doing there all day every day, taking a nap I suspect. Many feel that if there was more attention to crime, and less to tickets we may be better off. It's not all Leos but there are a bunch. Where I live is a joke.

You are a piece. Let me clue you in a little. I am a retired police officer. My career ended when I was hit by a drunk driver while working an DWI accident. GO FIGURE!! You are pissed cuz they are looking for DWI offenders. Pray you are not a victim of one. I spent 35 days in the hospital, had several surgeries, etc. And you bitch without any real knowledge of what you are talking about!
What kind of HELP do you want after your stuff is stolen? When the report is taken, it gets assigned to an investigator for action. Do you want the complimentary call to apologize because there is no workable evidence? Like I said earlier, you want it your way, like a spoiled brat. What the hell does it mean sitting across from Boo Rays to "pass out a DWI"? Are you driving around all of these places the same time or are these things you have seen at different times. Do you think maybe working DWI problems and high accident areas might help your insurance? Or is yours already sky high due to tickets? Tell me with of the things you have talked about are NOT crimes. They are ALL in the Texas Penal Code, Traffic Code, and Code of Criminal Procedure.
As was said by someone else: take better care of your stuff and move on!

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 03:29 PM

Up till now, all I've had to say on LE was negative. Please understand that I don't consider all of LE to be worthless. I'm sure that there are many young people, male and female, doing all they can to make us all safer. And, we are better off with the LE personnel we have than we would be without them. That said, I do expect more from them than we are getting. I don't expect the forensics team to come out to work my case of the missing riding mower, but I do expect somebody from LE to come out and at least pretend to care. I am extremely disappointed with the feeling I get from LandPirate's comments that suggest that they couldn't solve the problem anyway, so why spend a bunch of time working on it. You wouldn't want your EMS people to give up on you like that or not even try to treat you. They'd get fired if they did that. But LE can give poor performance after poor performance and all they do is go on to the next report writing instance. We, as the people they work for, tolerate that. The world used to consist of 'the good guys' and 'the bad guys', but now it seems that our world is 'the good guys','the bad guys', and 'the cops'. And since the cops haven't done anything good for us in recent memory, except write tickets, it's real hard for me to include them with the good guys. And I venture to guess, based on my time in the USMC Military Police, that the cops don't consider us to be their friend. Why should they? LE lives in its own little insular world, which doesn't include the people they are supposed to protect and serve.

Because of people with that exact opinion. You are way out in left field, you still stayed negative. Do you REALLY know what goes on? The MP is in a fenced compound. The Police have to listen to both side , including yours, yet they go on and do what YOU claim to pay them to do.
Posted By: craige

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 03:37 PM

I don't think anybody has unrealistic expectations, I don't think Leos put any effort into certain types of crime. I get it, but at the same time Joe public gets tired of getting no help when someone steals their stuff, breaks inttheirhouse, etc. All the while, in parker county their is a pile of dos writing tickets, hudson oaks pd is writing tickets by Wal-Mart and[/color] sitting across from boo rays to pass out a DWI[color:#FF0000], willow park pd is sitting across from railhead waiting to write a dwi, the county is backed up by the creek on old annetta rd, dont know what hé is doing there all day every day, taking a nap I suspect. Many feel that if there was more attention to crime, and less to tickets we may be better off. It's not all Leos but there are a bunch. Where I live is a joke.

Then you should go thank them personally. That there is them saving lives. Your upset that they target drunks?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 03:43 PM

The amount of policy for Leo's is unbelievable. It is not what you think it is. The public usually only sees what takes place on the side of the road. Traffic is just a small portion of what goes on behind closed doors.

Some of you need to move or speak out to your officials. Unfortunatley it is all about money. I work for an upscale city and we still lack much needed quipment or it is outdated. It's about money and what the council wants. A skatepark and nature garden is much more higher priority than better Leo tools.
I'm happy to enjoy my job and help people. So many people out here that aren't going to be happy no matter what you do.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 04:40 PM

Stinger, when I was an MP I was not in a compound. For me, much of it was walking Camp Pendleton (parts of it) with a partner. They didn't give me a car.

The point of all this chatter was that the OP got some stuff stolen and no LE folks did anything about it. That understandably irritated him. The unintended result of all this is that we 'civilians' now clearly understand the thing that we had always hoped wasn't true IS true. That being the circumstance of when and if something is stolen from us, the front man for the insurance company (Also Known As - the least senior LEO) will come and write a report and we can then file a claim. Other than that, NOTHING is going to happen that involves LE, unless your daughter flirts with the young cop. And yes, the report written will go to the "investigator" and he's going to put it on the pile with the others, to be further buried when other reports arrive. Not only can they not find your 'stuff', in a couple of days it's doubtful they can even find your report.

At what point does a theft get so big or egregious that the aforementioned Investigator does something about it? Certainly a truck isn't big enough, nor are several TV's. Maybe a Business Jet...no...that's probably in Mexico by now. No point in looking.

Somebody said, and I think he was ex-LE, that we'd better take care of our stuff to be sure that it doesn't get stolen. Yessiree, I really do now think that's great advice, because they clearly told us that they can't or won't do anything to get your stuff back once it's gone.

And if the crooks steal your phone, don't rush to town too fast, or you can explain the theft as you get your speeding ticket.

If I was in LE, I'd most certainly be defensive when my profession was discussed.

And if someone asks, I'll share one of the LE stories from my days in corporate America. This one is quite funny, and doesn't reflect too poorly on the young LEOs. We could use a smile about now.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: stinger13

You are a piece. Let me clue you in a little. I am a retired police officer. My career ended when I was hit by a drunk driver while working an DWI accident. GO FIGURE!! You are pissed cuz they are looking for DWI offenders. Pray you are not a victim of one. I spent 35 days in the hospital, had several surgeries, etc. And you bitch without any real knowledge of what you are talking about!
What kind of HELP do you want after your stuff is stolen? When the report is taken, it gets assigned to an investigator for action. Do you want the complimentary call to apologize because there is no workable evidence? Like I said earlier, you want it your way, like a spoiled brat. What the hell does it mean sitting across from Boo Rays to "pass out a DWI"? Are you driving around all of these places the same time or are these things you have seen at different times. Do you think maybe working DWI problems and high accident areas might help your insurance? Or is yours already sky high due to tickets? Tell me with of the things you have talked about are NOT crimes. They are ALL in the Texas Penal Code, Traffic Code, and Code of Criminal Procedure.

Here is how a parker county deputy handled a dwi, my neighbor and I have a shared drive, I go to leave one morning and their is a car blocking it. I walk up and look inside. there is a kid passed out with music blaring, he had obviuosly peed his pants. i call sherrifs department. It takes 30 minutes to get somebody out there at 10 am on a saturday morning. During this time he wakes up tries to runover me drives through the neighbors privacy gate, get trapped when the gate jams, he then tries to find a way out by driving through the yard. Her husband is not home, she is terrified. I am finally able to drag him out the open window by his head when he takes the car out of gear and pull the keys out. I hold him there until deputy finally shows up. Deputy does not cuff him or anything talks to him and is going to call his mother to come get him! Mother shows up and the duputy has the bright idea that if the mother will pay for the damage to the gate he will let everyone go home. I call back to the sherriffs department get the sargent in charge on the phone and tell him what is going on. finally he comes out and after I let him know that I will be sitting at sherriffs office on monday if something is not done then he agrees to arrest the kid. By the way the kid was so drunk they stopped and let him puke in the street on the way out. Deputy knew the family so he was just going to let him go. I believe that they ended up getting a DWI we had to show up to testify twice before it settled. No distruction of property charges and the fact that he tried to run over me was overlooked as well. Going to let the kid go!
Now the last time my wife got pulled over they took enough time to question her as to did she have anything that proved she owned the car she was driving? A. what a title B. car not reported stolen, she did not have her purse so that is her bad, she was on the way to drop the kids off at school, baby in a car seat. Wearing pajamas no less. Does that sound like a stolen vehicle? By the way we live in affuent area, a women driving a benz should not be a shocker.
Then we had our house broken into, waited an hour to get someone here to make sure their was nobody still on the house. You leo guys get all in a tizzy when someone has a complaint, Lets not forget when I was right out of college, got a job in Nac. took my wife to dinner, came home and a city cop was backed in my driveway watching people go to a frat party down the street. I asked him to move so I could get my car in the garage, he was in the driveway, he promptly cuffed me and ran me for warrants before uncuffing me and then moving his car. How would you feel, I was a 22 year old kid and didn't know what to do about it. It would be different today. Yeah I got no need for cops.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 05:03 PM

Shameful!

1. If they work for you because you pay taxes, they work for themselves, as well.

2. They have no constituency. Neither are elected officials.
3. Is your chosen diety failing you, lost his compass and abandoned his "constituency" because bad things happen?

There are miscreants and law breakers among us. I don't like them but they're there. I do the best I can to protect my family, myself and my belongings but I have been victimized and am sure it will happen again. I understand the rage when something is taken. However, guns in a truck and stuff left in the woods are risky propositions. In fact, leaving guns unattended in the truck is an irresponsible act that feeds the antis. Thanks for your service but would you leave your issued gun unattended?

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 07:34 PM

So once again it gets said by somebody being defensive about LE.

What I hear is that:

* We'd better hide our stuff, because if it gets stolen don't come bothering us in LE with it.

* LE doesn't work for us. LE isn't elected or in any way chosen by the population to work for us.

* There are lots of bad people out there, so just deal with it, but don't call us and expect more than lip service and reports written.

So...somebody please explain to me clearly and in detail what a LE Officer thinks his or her job duties really are. Obviously I've been very confused on that issue, thinking that Protect and Serve meant something more than just a catchy saying. Protect who? Serve who?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 07:45 PM

Lets hear what you think they should do?
Posted By: fowlplayr

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Lets hear what you think they should do?

Is this a bad time for a donut joke? grin

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 08:09 PM

It is obviously one of those things that us non-leo people just wont be able to understand. I had my tools stolen from my truck here at my house and the officer could care less (much like you guys are saying) but a few months later the neighboring county caught the pot smoking scumbags during a marijuana (spelling?) growing warrant. But I can understand why they feel like it's pointless to try and find the items, theres a millions people around here how could they ever find them? It's just be a freak accident if they do. Then you have the defense system thats on the bad guys side, officers have to keep things so freaking clean and inline it's just nuts. (I have a really good example but this isnt the place for it). So what does pay for the officers salaries, building, cars, gear, etc.? It's the fines! They dont make any money from playing cops & robbers, hence the polics they speak of.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 08:43 PM

What I hear is that:

* We'd better hide our stuff, because if it gets stolen don't come bothering us in LE with it.

* LE doesn't work for us. LE isn't elected or in any way chosen by the population to work for us.

* There are lots of bad people out there, so just deal with it, but don't call us and expect more than lip service and reports written.

So...somebody please explain to me clearly and in detail what a LE Officer thinks his or her job duties really are. Obviously I've been very confused on that issue, thinking that Protect and Serve meant something more than just a catchy saying. Protect who? Serve who?

Well sir, you seem to be the resident expert. You offer a lot of criticism based on your MP experience. I'd like to know what it is that the police are supposed to do to recover your stolen property. I'm all ears.

Do you even have the foggiest idea what happens once a theft report is filed?

I'll enlighten you a wee bit.
1) *IF* the victim is able to provide any serial numbers (which is not often) then we immediately enter the items into TCIC/NCIC. That's a nationwide database of wanted persons, items, vehicles etc. It's cross-referenced with LEADS-On-Line which is a registry of every pawn transaction conducted at every participating pawn shop across the country. So if we have a serial number and if the crook is dumb enough to pawn the item then there's a good chance we'll recover it. Otherwise, we'll probably just have to stumble on the item out pure dumb luck. From time to time we're able to put a case together, run a search warrant and normally recover a lot of stolen items. Sometimes we get lucky on narcotics search warrants and recover lots of fenced stolen items.

Criminals do operate within any rules. LE must operate within many rules. I'm sure you've heard of the Bill of Rights. It's one of many. Then there's laws, policies, and the biggie...Case Law. That's decisions handed down by the Supreme Court and it's ever changing.

Add in obstacles like the decriminalization of drug laws or Burglary of Vehicle. Most crime labs are strapped and under funded. The most used crime lab is the DPS lab. It won't accept or analyze evidence (fingerprints, DNA, ballistics, etc) unless the crime was a felony. Burg of a Vehicle was made a Class A Misdemeanor a number of years ago. We don't fingerprint burglarized cars anymore for that reason. We submitted fingerprints only to have them rejected.

The OP is PO'd that he caught an image of a guy on horseback. The man's ID is now known. He blames LE for not arresting the man and assumes that the man is also responsible for the ensuing thefts. He may be, but without one shred of evidence you can't prove crap. When it comes to arresting people, it's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

Most DA's will accept a Criminal Trespass charge until the person has been given a written warning, known as a Criminal Trespass Warning (CTW), first. Yet, you, the OP and several others have been quick to jump on LE and attribute their unwillingness or laziness as the reason.

The OP's heater was stolen out of the deer stand. I'm going to bet that the OP didn't have serial number, so how are the police possibly expected to identify the one that was his. I'm betting I've one or two just like it in my garage. I'm betting that there's tens of thousands just like it within a 100 mile radius. So, Mr. Expert, how is LE supposed to recover his stolen heater.

I can assure that a judge is not going to issue a search warrant for the guy's house that rode his horse through the property based solely on that instance. You have to have Probable Cause, and from what I've read here there simply isn't any.

So again, I'm all ears. Let's hear your solutions. I tell my subordinates that I don't want to hear their bitches unless they offer a solution to accompany it. I'm asking you the same thing.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 08:45 PM

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I've had my truck broke into at my house. Never did catch the bad guys and never recovered the nice Kershaw knife that they stole. Didn't get my Eagle Greatest Hits CD back either. Chaps my butt too.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: psycho0819
Y

A few years later, my wife's car gets backed into while parked on the square downtown.

That would probably be looked at as more of a civil matter than criminal. Your insurance would go after them.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 09:24 PM

Here is how a parker county deputy handled a dwi, my neighbor and I have a shared drive, I go to leave one morning and their is a car blocking it. I walk up and look inside. there is a kid passed out with music blaring, he had obviuosly peed his pants. i call sherrifs department. It takes 30 minutes to get somebody out there at 10 am on a saturday morning. During this time he wakes up tries to runover me drives through the neighbors privacy gate, get trapped when the gate jams, he then tries to find a way out by driving through the yard. Her husband is not home, she is terrified. I am finally able to drag him out the open window by his head when he takes the car out of gear and pull the keys out. I hold him there until deputy finally shows up. Deputy does not cuff him or anything talks to him and is going to call his mother to come get him! Mother shows up and the duputy has the bright idea that if the mother will pay for the damage to the gate he will let everyone go home. I call back to the sherriffs department get the sargent in charge on the phone and tell him what is going on. finally he comes out and after I let him know that I will be sitting at sherriffs office on monday if something is not done then he agrees to arrest the kid. By the way the kid was so drunk they stopped and let him puke in the street on the way out. Deputy knew the family so he was just going to let him go. I believe that they ended up getting a DWI we had to show up to testify twice before it settled. No distruction of property charges and the fact that he tried to run over me was overlooked as well. Going to let the kid go!
Now the last time my wife got pulled over they took enough time to question her as to did she have anything that proved she owned the car she was driving? A. what a title B. car not reported stolen, she did not have her purse so that is her bad, she was on the way to drop the kids off at school, baby in a car seat. Wearing pajamas no less. Does that sound like a stolen vehicle? By the way we live in affuent area, a women driving a benz should not be a shocker.
Then we had our house broken into, waited an hour to get someone here to make sure their was nobody still on the house. You leo guys get all in a tizzy when someone has a complaint, Lets not forget when I was right out of college, got a job in Nac. took my wife to dinner, came home and a city cop was backed in my driveway watching people go to a frat party down the street. I asked him to move so I could get my car in the garage, he was in the driveway, he promptly cuffed me and ran me for warrants before uncuffing me and then moving his car. How would you feel, I was a 22 year old kid and didn't know what to do about it. It would be different today. Yeah I got no need for cops.

So...you are going to lump all police under what a single deputy did? How general can you get. By the way...charging him with the damage, a civil potion of the incident, would have given the possibility for a plea to a lesser charge. Of course I don't expect you to understand how that works, try talking to one of the attorneys that makes a living circumventing the system for money. I addition, the deputy does not HAVE to cuff him. The arrest was put in place. By the way...a traffic stop is technically an arrest as the freedom of movement is ceased. Are you cuffed? I think not. In many states you required to carry and produce you vehicle registration, so that covers what you wife might have experienced. Did they accuse her of stealing the vehicle or are you assuming that was the case? Be careful.
Maybe it's time you moved to a place with NO rights. Or maybe you should take a minute and think about the rights you have compared to other countries. No need for a cop...then don't call one. No feelings would be hurt. Your life must really suck with all this hatred.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 09:26 PM

I asked him to move so I could get my car in the garage, he was in the driveway, he promptly cuffed me and ran me for warrants before uncuffing me and then moving his car.

Did you say something like "excuse me officer may I have access to my garage?"

roflmao

Just kidding with you.

Most officers I've known would love to catch a thief. They get stuff stolen as well. However most of the time the stuff and thief are long gone so there is nothing else to do other than take a report. Also depending on the county and jail space, petty theft may just get a slap on the hand. Frustrating for the police.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 10:04 PM

All I hear from the Pro-LE guys is that they can't do (for various reasons) what we, the civilians, think they should be doing. The disconnect here is huge, and it brings discontent. As for what we would like them to do is simple - find our stuff. But they can't or won't find our stuff, and they can't keep our stuff from being stolen (since that appears to be our fault anyway, since we made it readily accessible to the bad guys).

There has been a long list of complaints in this thread about how folks have felt shortchanged by LE. Part of that appears to be due to our mistaken assumption that LE works for the general populace and that they should actually work in support of the general populace. Simply put, we aren't getting what we think we should be getting. If you aren't finding our stuff, what exactly is it that you are doing? And yes, if the boss says to write speeding tickets all day, then I guess that's what you are doing. But...this brings up the question that I've always wanted to ask a cop. Do you feel right about doing what you're doing with the tickets? Are you making the world a better place? Did you ever give a ticket to a family member? How about another police officer? The mayor's kid?

Anyway, TurkeyHunter has kind of defused me with his comment. The problem probably lies with the system and not the LEO individually. It would greatly ease the frustration of civilians if the LEO would simply say that "I've got your information and I'll pass it along, but chances of recovery are slim". Otherwise, we are going to expect something good to happen.

And LandPirate, I'm not basing anything I said on my MP experience. Back then I was young and tough and they gave me some training and a gun and cuffs and a nightstick and I was John Wayne immediately. I did quickly learn that MP's, like cops, have few friends. It's a mostly thankless existence that led many of us to be hardnosed and mean to the very people we were supposed to be helping. I did learn that. And I most certainly recognized that very same meanness in many of the cops I've had to deal with over the years. A cop isn't one of the bad guys, but neither is he fully welcomed by the good guys (civilians), so they live in cop world with other cops, where there are people that understand you.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 10:15 PM

So...you are going to lump all police under what a single deputy did? How general can you get. By the way...charging him with the damage, a civil potion of the incident, would have given the possibility for a plea to a lesser charge. Of course I don't expect you to understand how that works, try talking to one of the attorneys that makes a living circumventing the system for money. I addition, the deputy does not HAVE to cuff him. The arrest was put in place. By the way...a traffic stop is technically an arrest as the freedom of movement is ceased. Are you cuffed? I think not. In many states you required to carry and produce you vehicle registration, so that covers what you wife might have experienced. Did they accuse her of stealing the vehicle or are you assuming that was the case? Be careful.
Maybe it's time you moved to a place with NO rights. Or maybe you should take a minute and think about the rights you have compared to other countries. No need for a cop...then don't call one. No feelings would be hurt. Your life must really suck with all this hatred.

You can spew all the excuses you want for cops doing dumb stuff that is nothing new. Every time a leo act like an idiot all the others get all worked up in his defense. Life is pretty good and while some wont say alot of people get the deal.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 10:18 PM

603 country, there is a reason good guys dont fully welcome cops.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 10:31 PM

You make a lot of assumptions and you miss a lot of my points. First, I seldom socialize with other cops. It always leads to talking shop. I spend enough time at work. When I'm not there, I prefer not to talk about it. One of the reasons I come here. It's one of the reasons I used to frequent the TFF but the constant cop bashing over there was wretched, so I stopped going there altogether. There seems to be more appreciation over here.

The part you miss is that we (cops) have rules that we must play by. The bad guys have no rules. We're already a step behind them.

I spend the majority of my days at work patrolling neighborhoods. I keep up with local trends and I target those areas with saturated patrols. Even still, I only catch a couple of burglars/thieves per year. The rest are caught through an investigative process. I won't bore you with the details. Suffice to say we catch a fair number of them. We recover a fair amount of stolen property. Even still, it's only a small fraction of the total of stolen property.

Again, I'm still struggling to hear what it is that you think we should do to improve this. We cannot be everywhere. Our numbers are limited. The criminals are everywhere. They strike when opportunity arises. They are crafty and do everything they can to not be caught.

You act as if you (a citizen) has no responsibility in fighting crime. You act as if we live in a perfect world where crime shouldn't exist. You act as if you ought to be able to leave a $100 bill on a park bench and then expect it to still be there the next day.

I've got news for you, we do not live in that world. You have to take some precautions to avoid being a victim. Anything less is purely foolish. The thought of anything else is ignorant and naive.

You do not know me. You do not know what I've done or accomplished in my 24 years of LE. I doubt that you personally know any LEOs. You certainly do not know the system that we must work within.

Honestly, you sound like one of the sheep. I don't mean that in a demeaning way. You expect to waltz through the green fields of glory with no dangers from the wolves. In a perfect world that would be true. But we do not live in that world.

You as a citizen have many responsibilities. Read up on those responsibilities as written by this country's founding fathers.

When was the last time you spoke with your county commissioner or city councilman about funding for public safety? When was the last time you actually went to a jury summons and didn't try to get out of it? When was the last time you bothered to find out what platform the local candidates stand for in a local election? When was the last time you asked for a meeting with the DA and expressed your displeasure with their plea bargain policies?

I'm betting you, like 90% (or more) of other citizens don't make much of stand to drive government the direction you want it. Go talk to the police chief or sheriff and ask them what you can do to help sway the politicians to give us the tools we need to better serve you. Get involved.

Or not. It might just be easier to not understand, not care and just bitch about the cops and what they don't do. Heck, start by going to the local citizen's academy.

There are communities across the country with lousy LE. There are also lots of communities with top notch LE. And just like in deer hunting, we can't be expected to kill a booner every time we go out. It's unrealistic. By the same token it's unrealistic to expect cops to stop every crime committed or solve every crime committed. It's just plain foolish.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/30/12 11:33 PM

LandPirate, I get your points and I truly understand what you are saying and why. And the rules you follow can be restrictive, and I understand that as well. As for what should be done to make this a better place, given the limitations that LE has with men and equipment, I don't know. I respectfully suggest that you guys should know what's best to do. And...if what LE is doing is the best that they can do with what they have, then citizen be warned. As I've aged, I've taken many precautions to avoid being a victim, and so far I've been successful. There have been instances where I've been wronged, with no successful outcome and I'm basing my frustration on those instances and those of my country neighbors. I'm trying hard to think of one instance where you might could say that justice was done, but time and time again...justice was not done. You want me to be understanding of the LE situation and problems, but based on what I've seen and experienced, the only thing that ever got done was insurance claims. As a citizen, I'm not impressed.

And yes, I do know and have known LE individuals over the years. One of them is a very good friend. I've never discussed all of these things with him, since he is long retired and I don't want to sour the relationship.

And I don't go out of my way to bash cops, but I did feel like throwing in my 2 cents on this discussion.

My background is in Corporate America, where failure is not an option. If you can't get the job done, they'll find someone who can. I really am used to getting from people what I paid them to provide. When I see what I consider to be an underperforming service group (and that's exactly what the cops are to me), I'm not happy. So...If I take that attitude down to the small town police station and give it to the sheriff, where do we go from there? As a rule, cops don't like to be told they are wrong and don't like to be told what to do (as in "I've got the badge, so I'm in charge here?). Either I'll need to run for mayor or get elected as sheriff, or nothing is going to change.

I do wish I had an easy answer to what civilians think is a problem and what LE considers to be just another day at the office.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/31/12 12:25 AM

What I hear is that:

I am not LE.

Yes. It is a reasonable expectation that a responsible citizen not leave guns in a truck.

You do pay taxes for a police force, teachers, city managers, highways, bridges, the president's salary etc. But you don't own the highways, bridges or public servants.

If that were the case, PETA members own the deer and can, therefore, regulate hunting. The protestors outside the local gunshop pay taxes. Are you ready for them to get thier way? They pay ATF salaries just as much as you do. Don't we owe it to them to grant their wish to take your guns?

As far as corporate America goes, people don't get fired because they can't get the job done anymore than they do in the public sector. There are incompetent, corupt individuals everywhere. I'm unhappy with subprime loans, outsourcing and waste in general. I do not, however, despise all people who work in the private sector.

In Pinochet's Chile, Stalin's Soviet Union and Escobar's Medellin there was very little property crime because all people were afraid of the totalitarian states which controled the movement of all citizens (no matter how holy they may have considered themselves. Would you like to go that route?

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/31/12 01:09 AM

Asartor, let me get this right, your position is that the complaints in this thread, which include people wanting Leo to focus more on crime less on ticket writing, return calls, and be half way serious about the concerns of people who have been violated in some way is a march towards some kind of totalitarian regime? Is that what you think? Put down the mre, get out of the end of the world shelter and get some sun shine, you will feel better.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/31/12 01:18 AM

I don't know what community you live in. But I'd suggest that if you're not happy with the current administration then do something about it. Sometimes, in smaller communities, the officers lack training. Admin lacks training. Many of them lack experience. Good ol' boys are elected as Sheriff or appointed as Police Chief.

I don't know what to tell you about your unrealistic expectation that LE prevent all crime and when it does occur LE solves it through investigation, after the fact. That's just ridiculous.

The national average for crime clearance rates is less than 20%.

I assure you if I wanted to turn to a life of crime I could do it for a long time without being caught. I could probably make a lot more money than I do now. But I never wanted to work in an office, never wanted to dig ditches and was too scared to steal.

LE cannot stand guard over everyone's personal property 24/7. That's why it's up to you, the citizen, to take some reasonable precautions. Lock up your stuff. Install a security system. A video surveillance system too. Record your serial numbers and insurance.

To expect LE to prevent and solve every crime while the citizens do nothing toward their own benefit is completely irresponsible, unrealistic and relies too heavily on government.

Perhaps a socialist or communist government would be more to your liking. In Hitler's Germany neighbors were recruited to spy and tattle on each other so that nothing slipped past the government.

We could do a much better job of solving crime if we weren't cumbered by people's rights. Heck, I could kick in doors, search cars with wild abandon, shake people down. You get the idea.

I haven't seen around the forum until recently. I guess you missed the thread where a man's rifle was stolen out of his truck. Some other member saw an ad for the rifle on a firearms board. A sting involving multiple agencies was conducted. The rifle was recovered and the bad guy jailed.

LE is a lot more effective than you give credit for. With that said, I can defend LE until the cows come home. I'm not going to change your mind. You need to figure out what you can do to make a difference in your community if the problem is as bad as you say. I can't do that for you.

I wish you luck but I'm done trying to explain it. You need to find some of your answers. But like I said previously, don't bitch if you can't offer a solution. If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/31/12 01:36 AM

Asartor, let me get this right, your position is that the complaints in this thread, which include people wanting Leo to focus more on crime less on ticket writing, return calls, and be half way serious about the concerns of people who have been violated in some way is a march towards some kind of totalitarian regime? Is that what you think? Put down the mre, get out of the end of the world shelter and get some sun shine, you will feel better.

I'm saying that you are unrealistic in your belief that every crime may be avoided and/or solved without creating a police state in which no one has any rights. Do you want your LP ran everytime you pull out of your driveway? How about a tracking device?
The issue is not doomsday on my part. Its about people thinking that they should get what they want when they want.

Note the post above about the ineptness of every LEO in the world because a crime was not investigated to his liking and then in the same post being mad because someone was investigated. The only difference was that the latter instance was his wife.

You can't have it both ways. Either allow and condone an overly invasive government or understand that not every crime will be solved.

My issue is that there has been generalized disdain for all LEOs based on a limited amount of personal anecdotes.

There have been a number of cases in this state in which mothers have taken the lives of their own children? Do you now hold disdain for all mothers? I would think not.
Posted By: gollygee

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/31/12 03:05 AM

Sorry LandPirate you tipped your hand. Special laws or applications for those who disagree with you? I understand that there are professional law enforcement officers that sincerely believe that they are making the world a better place and I agree that they are. I also am fully cognizant that there are some officers that would work for free if they could carry a pair of chrome plated pistols AKA George Patton. To defend the "blue line" unequivocally is not only wrong it is not very smart. The bottom line is that LE does not "protect and serve" the general public, nor have they ever. Their first loyalty is to "protect and serve" the government and nothing else gets close.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/31/12 03:21 AM

Asartor, not one civilian soul on this long argument has yet suggested that there was any way to completely or even partially prevent crime, and nobody expects all crimes to be solved. The whole point of this was: Stuff got stolen and LE did nothing other than take a report. That indifference to our problems bothers us just a tiny bit. I personally think I'd feel a little better if they called and lied to me and said they'd at least try to do something for me. That's a long way from the police state you seem to think that some of us are calling for.

I'm even sorry we had this discussion. Now that I know the true level of indifference that LE has to solution of minor/major theft, that destroys the thin belief I once had that they at least cared a little bit.

Hide your stuff, boys. We are on our own.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/31/12 03:25 AM

Asartor, not one civilian soul on this long argument has yet suggested that there was any way to completely or even partially prevent crime, and nobody expects all crimes to be solved. The whole point of this was: Stuff got stolen and LE did nothing other than take a report. That indifference to our problems bothers us just a tiny bit. I personally think I'd feel a little better if they called and lied to me and said they'd at least try to do something for me. That's a long way from the police state you seem to think that some of us are calling for.

I'm even sorry we had this discussion. Now that I know the true level of indifference that LE has to solution of minor/major theft, that destroys the thin belief I once had that they at least cared a little bit.

Hide your stuff, boys. We are on our own.

I dont like bashing LEO's but what you wrote has happened twice that I personally can swear to. 1 was my truck and tools and the other was when my buddies house got broke into, the officers said "Well, were not going to try finger printing because we will never catch them anyways". That does make one feel dissappointed with our justice system.

But anyways, I still respect you guys for risking your lives to help keep ours safer!
Posted By: AlaskaCub

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/31/12 03:40 AM

It really is sad that the only time most of us encounter LEO's is when they are writing you an aggravating speeding or traffic ticket and usually on a desolate highway. Any time you intentionally go looking for an LEO for help is when you are victimized and seldom is there any positive results. I kind of gave up on the idea that calling the police was going to bring positive results, chit when I lived in Alaska the only way to get a cop to show up at your property in the case of theft was to call 911 and mention the word GUN, or GUNSHOT or SHOTS FIRED, if you said any of those words you would at least see a Trooper within 20-30 minutes. If you didn't mention those 3 phrases you would NOT see a Trooper at all. You just kind of learn to deal with stuff on your own and be thankful for living in states that still offer the right to the citizen to protect him or herself and his or her property without excessive prejudice.
Posted By: wrknonit

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/31/12 03:48 AM

Maybe we're expecting LEO's to be superhuman.
It only takes one bad experience with LE to totally ruin some peoples image of many good men. I'm guilty of that one.

Respect for all of you in LE, but the frustration some of us feel just wont go away.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/31/12 04:03 AM

"As for what we would like them to do is simple - find our stuff. But they can't or won't find our stuff, and they can't keep our stuff from being stolen"

Your words.

"Asartor, not one civilian soul on this long argument has yet suggested that there was any way to completely or even partially prevent crime, and nobody expects all crimes to be solved."

Your words, as well.

So you only want your stuff found? I get it you've been victimized and hate cops but the only way to find your stuff is to randomly search for it or follow due process. If you don't like due process, you support the loss of all civil rights. Ergo police state.

Also, although I sympathize with your experience (as I have heard the same things you mention out of officer's mouths) my issue has been the running down of an entire group of people based on the behaviors of a few. Do you have any reason to claim that any LEO on this forum is dishonest, lazy and as worthless as the blanketed statements made. Do you label all groups of people in the same manner based on the actions of a few? If so, this attitude has also led to a plethora of totalitarion and facist governments.

I hate thieves but I don't blame LEOs for their existence. I also hate cancer and don't blame doctors for it's existence.

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/31/12 10:31 AM

Here for all you people that have got a lil off track..... I HAVE SEVERAL DEALINGS WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT.... My experience is only if you have a set of tits then they might give a damn...... EVERYTIME I HAVE HAD DEALING WITH POLICE IN ANY COUNTY, they do WHAT THEY WANT WHEN THEY WANT IT, they will lie and tell you whatever they need to tell you to get you to tell them whatever they want to hear.... No I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO HIDE MY SH!t BETTER, it was 500 yards from the road way.... They should have done what they said they were gonna do and presses criminal trespassing. Now in the event that they maybe really couldn't do that, ATLEAST ACT LIKE YOU GIVE A SH!T AND GO OVER THERE AND SCARE THE SH!T OUT OF THE GUY AND BE THE HARD [censored] YOUR SUPPOSED TO BE.... The f*cking cop didn't even take 5 min to talk to the guy and the man had the same hat he had on in the photo under my feeder and the cop tells me " he said it was his nephew"..... WHAT A JOKE AND A MORON

Re: got all my stuff stolen and the police didnt really do there job...what would you do. - 12/31/12 10:36 AM

I'm gonna guess that some of you ding dongs and your one way liberal ideas must have voted for Obama.....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum