Texas Hunting Forum

Rice Bran

Posted By: Bolgerian

Rice Bran - 12/11/12 11:44 AM

I've been hunting in Arkansas this week and the deer love it! Anyone use it in Texas?
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Rice Bran - 12/11/12 01:25 PM

I have only used it once. Supposedly it is the main ingredient in C'mere deer and alot of other powder attractants.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Rice Bran - 12/11/12 01:27 PM

yes, they like it here too. it is the main ingredient in acorn rage.

Re: Rice Bran - 12/11/12 03:01 PM

I hear it tough to find at feeder stores in Texas? True?
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Rice Bran - 12/11/12 03:16 PM

It is always available around me, not sure anywhere else.
Posted By: Time Killer

Re: Rice Bran - 12/11/12 03:55 PM

I feed it to show steers to put on extra cover. They love the taste as well. Cover (fat) is a good thing for deer, so I may try some.
Posted By: Time Killer

Re: Rice Bran - 12/11/12 03:56 PM

Oh, and you can buy it at TS.
Posted By: John79227

Re: Rice Bran - 12/11/12 04:40 PM

I bought a bag at Atwoods to try. I made 3 big piles in feeder pen and deer haven't touched it.
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Rice Bran - 12/11/12 04:57 PM

John I just found out our feed store is closing up after the 1st of the year???? I figured just our lease kept them open!
Posted By: John79227

Re: Rice Bran - 12/11/12 06:13 PM

Yeah I heard something about that. Yall and a few other hunters along with me buyin some of my show goat feed and panels. Everyone knew it was goin to happen sooner or later, because Vance has had it for sale for sometime now. Text me later on and I will tell you a few extra reasons it is closing.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Rice Bran - 12/11/12 06:20 PM

Rice bran is real high in phosphorous, if your in a low phosphorous area, it's a big attractant. In a farm area, where a lot of high phosphorous fertilizer is used, it isn't as big an attractant. One caveat is that if it isn't stabilized it deteriorates fast.
Posted By: Maglite

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 12:24 AM

We had a leaser use some this yr in Palo Pinto county,TX and the deer tore.it up!
Posted By: Redneck Messiah

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 01:24 AM

They wont touch it in Red River county where I hunt... dunno why
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Redneck Messiah
They wont touch it in Red River county where I hunt... dunno why

Think about it rice bran primarily provides phosphorus. If you have a lot of small grains, that get a good dose of phosphate fertilizer, they will be getting their phosphorus from natural sources.
Posted By: 750SpiritRdr

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Bolgerian
I've been hunting in Arkansas this week and the deer love it! Anyone use it in Texas?

We have used it in Arkansas for a long time at the lease. Here in Texas the deer will hit it, but not like they do in Ark. for some reason.
We hunt in Cleveland County and Desha County Ark.

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 03:54 PM

Yeah i hunted outside El Dorado on the Ouachita river in Union county. The deer would pass corn to get to this stuff! They swear by it up there!
Posted By: EastTexun

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 04:42 PM

Anybody know where to get this stuff in Conroe/Huntsville or the surrounding areas?
Posted By: Nightbird

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 04:53 PM

Never used it. Is this something that you can use in your spin feeder? Or how do you get it to the deer?
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 05:11 PM

They don't like it on my place in east TX either. The hogs do though. So no more rice bran for me....

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 08:26 PM

try persimmon flavored rice bran also. they seem to hit that pretty well.

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Bolgerian
Yeah i hunted outside El Dorado on the Ouachita river in Union county. The deer would pass corn to get to this stuff! They swear by it up there!

I know El Dorado well, my wife is from Hampton in Calhoun county
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 08:56 PM

tractor supply has it
Posted By: EastTexun

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 10:51 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Huskysibe

Re: Rice Bran - 12/12/12 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Nightbird
Never used it. Is this something that you can use in your spin feeder? Or how do you get it to the deer?

No, its ground down to a powder basically.
Posted By: centexrancher

Re: Rice Bran - 12/13/12 01:56 AM

Producers CoOp on business 6 north of TX 21 in Bryan has it for $11.00 per bag.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Rice Bran - 12/13/12 03:36 AM

We have used it for 8 years now..use to be 5 dollars a bag..now its popular..Found that if you fully open the bag,lay it flat and drag it making a pile 2 inches deep 10 feet long they utilize it more...Bucks wear it out during the rut...the high fat is what they are looking for...We put game cams up when we lay out bags and all night long the bucks come to it several times a night.We never put it near a feeder...We tried to put in small troughs and they wouldnt touch it..Think because its such a fine powder...We see the does using it more in jan and feb when they are pregnant...

Re: Rice Bran - 12/13/12 02:34 PM

They actually make a feeder for powders. Im not sure who though?

Re: Rice Bran - 12/13/12 02:35 PM

On Time Powder Keg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M102NwiB2hY

Re: Rice Bran - 12/23/12 01:36 AM

Well no such luck in Jack county... The deer walked right by it to get to corn?
Posted By: woodsman93

Re: Rice Bran - 12/23/12 03:53 PM

we just started using it this year for the first time here in east texas and the deer absolutely tear it up.. good stuff
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum