Texas Hunting Forum

MLD on small acreage?

Posted By: JMalin

MLD on small acreage? - 12/03/12 08:41 PM

Is there a size limit to entering property into the MLD program? I'm kicking around the idea of getting our place under the program, specifically level 2. 460 acres FYI. We have harvest records. Will work on developing an official management plan this spring. Thanks
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: MLD on small acreage? - 12/03/12 09:23 PM

Don't know for sure, but I'm betting you qualify. Check the TPWD website for more info (could not find acreage requirements).
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: MLD on small acreage? - 12/03/12 10:14 PM

i think the limit is 200 acres, but I could be wrong.

there is a limit though
Posted By: thegrouse

Re: MLD on small acreage? - 12/03/12 10:32 PM

That is plenty of land for MLD if the animal numbers are there. You can also co-op with other land if you were on a smaller place.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: MLD on small acreage? - 12/04/12 05:37 AM

What kind of numbers does it take?
Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: MLD on small acreage? - 12/04/12 02:55 PM

We are MLD 3 and our Biologist told us there is a 1000 acre minimum but maybe it depends on what part of the State you're in and the Biologist. Not really sure.
Posted By: EastTexun

Re: MLD on small acreage? - 12/04/12 04:11 PM

250 will get you into MLD in East Texas
Posted By: ETXhiker

Re: MLD on small acreage? - 12/04/12 09:09 PM

Must be kind of arbitrary - the biologist in Hunt county told us 300 acres or more to manage for deer. Bear in mind that smaller acreage can still qualify for small game, and birds.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: MLD on small acreage? - 12/04/12 09:41 PM

i know a ranch in medina county that is MLD and its only 200 acres. it is high fenced though
Posted By: Don Dial

Re: MLD on small acreage? - 12/04/12 10:58 PM

I'd love to be able to cull the deer at my house on the 2.53 acres, if you succeed, let me know..I've got so many neighbors now and they act like City folks that I'd be crazy to get one of
my long guns out and shoot..but I've got neighbors that have 10 acres or more that do..and I have that much attached to mine that
the owners gave me permission to hunt, but for safetys sake I won't, but I know a guy using a bow up the road I may take down
here and let him kill some of my pets..DD
Posted By: Navasot

Re: MLD on small acreage? - 12/04/12 11:05 PM

It will depend on your carrying capacity the land has to offer...you will have to contribute requirements and even if the land isnt on it now that is plenty big enough to work to level two by improving feed/water/shelter on the land. If your already in a spot that has a good bit of cover and natural habbitat for deer than it should be no problem to get there with that size track. Will most likely have to start at one but imo thats the way to do it anyway. There is alot of paperwork and regs that goes along with MLD and its not something that you wana just jump into full speed. It is worth it though...and your biologist will be very helpful in leading you the right way
Posted By: Navasot

Re: MLD on small acreage? - 12/04/12 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: thegrouse
That is plenty of land for MLD if the animal numbers are there. You can also co-op with other land if you were on a smaller place.

This is also a good thing as well. It will have to be joining propertys though
Posted By: joebass2

Re: MLD on small acreage? - 12/05/12 04:04 AM

Large enough to influence the lawmakers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum