Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone given up?

Posted By: Jacob645

Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 12:49 AM

I'm getting close. This weather is stupid.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 12:51 AM

There is a month left, come on. It sucks but go fishing or play golf.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 12:56 AM

Not quitting, just switching counties. A buddy has a lease on the Pitchfork, level 3 MLD. We can hunt through february, thank goodness.
Posted By: Core-Lokt

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 02:36 AM

Not giving up until season end.
Posted By: JC8690

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Core-Lokt
Not giving up until season end.

Yup.

Spent way too much money to sell myself short like that. Plus I just love being in the woods, even if I'm not seeing anything.
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 02:47 AM

I haven't seen a buck on camera I cared much about in 2 years and I'll admit my time and effort has dropped since then. No plans to give up, but sure would like to see some promise. Best sign I've seen is one young buck with potential.

Not sure what happened around my place, but our deer herd has had a dramatic drop in quality since AR's went into effect. Not sure if it's related or not, but sure seems suspect.
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 03:04 AM

Just waitin on some cold after Christmas..................
Posted By: bassman110

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 03:11 AM

Nope, it will get cooler. Being in the woods is better than sitting on the couch.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 03:19 AM

Look at next weekend and the following week. The weather is going to cool off and the moon turns very favorable. Should be some good hunting for about 2-3weeks starting next weekend and going through the weekend right before Christmas....at least I hope!!

No really, weather channel shows it cooling next week and the moon will get very favorable the middle of next week and going forward a week or 10 days.
Posted By: 045ACP

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 04:24 AM

Nope, not giving up. Weather WILL cool down as someone pointed out. Also, on our lease in Lampasas county, the oaks aren't putting out acorns this year. Not sure why, but I can tell you that a pile of acorns is like putting out a bowl of candy. Have collected over 100lbs of Burr, Red and Spanish oak acorns for our next few weekends. In Lampasas county, we're seeing mostly 3.5 and under, with an occasional 4.5yo. One of guys took a 5.5yo buck opening weekend. Just waiting the moon out. 16-18th we'll be out for sure.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 04:43 AM

Never give up. Enjoy being out there. Good luck.
Posted By: Curly

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 04:43 AM

Screw it till it gets cold.....and stays cold....if it ever happens. I want to be able to see a deer, shoot a deer and hang a deer.
Posted By: CHASE CURTIS

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 04:44 AM

not giving up.. but my gosh.. this weather is crazy! I will say that i wish I would have "reserved" some of my hunting days/time for later season...
Posted By: basehitchamp

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 04:45 AM

misery loves company...we were out there this weekend...my son finally pulled the trigger on a nice coyote...also got a nice Jake today...still have not seen a deer this season...

beyond frustrating...glad we are not the only ones struggling right now...

huning in shorts in Dec...got to love it...

Posted By: JakeJJ

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 04:50 AM

Never give up.. This weather does suck but it hasn't slowed me down any.. The deer at the in laws are doing what they do every year, acorns first, feeders when everything else is gone. Got the freezer full, now just playing cat and mouse with the monster that runs that territory.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 04:50 AM

Crazy weather!....Thanksgiving has come and gone and it doesn't even seem like it should have.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: basehitchamp
misery loves company...we were out there this weekend...my son finally pulled the trigger on a nice coyote...also got a nice Jake today...still have not seen a deer this season...

beyond frustrating...glad we are not the only ones struggling right now...

huning in shorts in Dec...got to love it...

Where do you hunt? I heard some shots today, one was right at sun up and a little while later heard a shotgun and some gobbles after. Seeing these pics made me think those shots I heard were your son's, although I know they probably were not...
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 04:55 AM

I'll get serious about it on Dec 21, I've been letting them slide so far. Cpl cams on some trails that look like highways and going to get a pattern on a buck and go choot em.

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 04:58 AM

west of Abilene...Merkel...it was about 1000...watched the group of 35 on a sorghum field for an hour till they finally walked in range...
Posted By: Hunter_812

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 05:23 AM

North or south of Merkel? We are about 15 miles south of merkel and have had quite a bit of activity. Slower than most years but still seeing deer every hunt.

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 05:30 AM

south...about 7 miles down 126...we see deer but in the adjacent properties w/ binos...
Posted By: Hunter_812

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 07:39 AM

We have some wheat fields on 126 and they are full in the evenings. Hopefully it'll really get cold and y'alls luck will change.
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 12:21 PM

I blame it all on AR! lol.
Posted By: no-guts-no-glory

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 01:12 PM

Quitters never win.
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 01:19 PM

It is warm, and we are seeing deer move a lot at night. This warm weather is effecting the rut I believe. Deer are still breeding, but mostly at night.

But, my buddy killed a hell of a deer in South Texas the other morning, so who knows?

Our North Texas place is different, with warm weather (80's) and strong winds. Mature deer are absent, with just the daycare deer coming to feeders. But, they are a joy to watch.

I got really, really lucky with weather early.
Posted By: TX35

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 01:19 PM

Not giving up, but I am a tad bit frustrated!!!
Posted By: postoak

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 01:34 PM

The weather people can only forecast out 5 days and that not very well. For all we know next week may be very cold.
Posted By: Bowmaster

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 02:35 PM

Sames story in Fannin County...Nothing at the camera other than the does that hid during Thanksgiving. My freezer Hurts!
Posted By: SCson

Re: Anyone given up? - 12/03/12 03:03 PM

My son and I were in the woods this weekend and saw one doe.

Mosquitos, ticks and wasps were bad.

Come on cold weather.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum