Texas Hunting Forum

thoughts on this weekend

Posted By: hornedfrog

thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 04:22 AM

I know any time in woods is great, but with big moon and high temps I am having second thoughts on going to lease this weekend. really only second thoughts on the 7.5 hour one way drive. Need encouraging words if any. Moon does bother me as much as temperature moon combination.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 04:35 AM

I was just researching the same thing. The conventional wisdom is stay home, but the people who do the work for those solunar calendars say deer need to eat about every 6-12 hours, and activity during the night will correlate to activity at some point in the day. The other thing to think about is cloud cover at night. If there is decent cover in the night it may push the deer to move more at sunrise rather than during the night. All in all, I am so much more looking forward to hunting two weekends from now (given the new moon and time of moon rise/set and the start of typical rut activity in south Texas where I will be, if it is on time or pre rut if late), but I have buddies coming up to hunt with me and my son this weekend, and we will give it a go.

Can't shoot a deer from my couch! Plus, I am new to this whole thing and I don't know any better anyway smile
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 11:04 AM

I am not going this weekend because of the weather. Same high temps and wind we have had since Nov. 3 then you throw in the moon. If I didn't already have a doe in the freezer it might be different. The following weekend I am going for 4 days no matter what.
Posted By: AlaskaCub

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 02:57 PM

Im with you guys, I can only hunt every couple weeks, only so many of those left in the season and I am on a new lease with mucho $$$ spent so I really want to go. But damn near 80 degree temps for highs and a full moon with bright sunny days Fri,Sat,Sun isnt making me real giddy about going! Started off the season real optomistic about what I was seeing on Camera, not real optomistic about ever seeing any of those bucks during daylight at this point! Weather has really hindered deer season for us.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 02:59 PM

I'll probably go and just hunt the mornings and use the rest of the day to get things done around the place that I've been putting off.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 03:19 PM

A wise man once said, "you can't kill a big buck sitting on your living room couch."
Keep that in mind guys, and also the fact that you don't get but so many weekends a year that you can deer hunt!
Posted By: HuntingJunkie

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 08:53 PM

Don't think too much into it. You have zero chance if you aren't there. I can tell you that I killed my most mature and best scoring deer on a warm and windy 78 degree evening hunt so I've had to throw this thought process out the window. I've also hunted multiple times when everything lined up to be good (temps, moon, etc.) and still had no success. It's just being at the right place at the right time to catch that mature buck moving when he least expects you to be there. Good luck!!
Posted By: Doc M

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 09:02 PM

The Mid day hunt should be good, so get all wound up the evening before and cook a great meal play dominos or cards with the boys, sleep in the next morning and get up eat a good breakfast and get in the stand around 10 or so and hunt til 1 or 2 and repeate. Now thats the plan for me anyway.
Posted By: Curly

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 09:37 PM

bright moon, warm weather this weekend plus the fact I didn't see squat last Friday - Sunday.....think I'll pass and save some $. that's me though.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 09:46 PM

I've seen some nice deer on full moon warm days. Deer have got to eat sometime. They've been coming out right at dark and then we see them again at 10:00 am or so. I'm sure they don't all have the same schedule though.

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 10:02 PM

I'm a pretty obsessive hunter and I cant count how many times I've sat in the stand from dark 30 to dark 30 during full moon periods and not seen a single thing from 9am til 4pm. I think all you guys that say "My biggest deer was shot at 11am" do that to trick folks into sitting til there azz is numb!.......grin

Honestly the hardest thing to swallow regarding sitting during the day is when you have cameras on your feeders/trails and you know good and well there aint a damm thing visiting them during the day. The camera dont lie, but it do like showing you what comes in all night long!
Posted By: Driftwood1

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 10:12 PM

Im good with the warm weather,guess im just use to Texas weather.But Im am a firm beliver in the moon phases. But like one of yall said,if we get a good cloud cover it will help.
But you just never know. I go every chance I get.
Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 10:21 PM

Best buck I ever killed it was 80 degrees !!! May not see alot of deer but all I need to see is the right one.
Posted By: MEXICOHUNTER70

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 10:23 PM

And he's there hot or cold rain or shine full moon or no moon and I ain't gonna kill him at home.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 10:30 PM

I'm going, not expecting to see any deer (why break the trend this season) but hope to be surprised. Will hopefully see a big pig or two to take out my frustration. One of the hunter's son on the lease shot a 500-600+ lbs boar this past week. Biggest pig I've ever seen that I KNOW of the person that shot it.
Posted By: Fishermen0105

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 10:33 PM

Killed my best buck ever this year at 3 pm in high winds. Killed my Elk in Colorado after a full moon during snowfall. I'd say you never know. Where I'm hunting the bucks are really after the does which made it a sort of all day deal for me.

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 10:35 PM

Oh I'm going , no way I'm staying home after 2 weeks of not being out there, just going with low expectations, but its better than being at home or work!
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/28/12 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: AlaskaCub
Oh I'm going , no way I'm staying home after 2 weeks of not being out there, just going with low expectations, but its better than being at home or work!

Bingo! Same thought with me. Going with low expectations, but boy would it be nice to connect on a bruiser! Will have four sets of eyes out at the lease this weekend, hoping one of us can catch Mr Big at the right time!
Posted By: ddmm

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/29/12 12:38 AM

We've been 3 out of the last four weekends. First two weekends were so dang warm and windy, I don't think I care to do that again this weekend. Got to save some $$ for trip to Tivoli after X-mas for our regular duck hunt trip....
Posted By: erniejs

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/29/12 02:17 AM

My thoughts .... You cant shoot them off the couch !! Get out there
Posted By: huntincoach

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/29/12 03:22 AM

Im staying home. Putting Christmas lights up. Going to a Christmas parade with the fam.
Getting bonus points. Next weekend temps dropping to 25° in the Big Country so I'm going then.
I've already killed 6 hogs, one turkey, one doe,&
a 131 6/8 buck. Good luck to all!
Posted By: hornedfrog

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/30/12 02:44 PM

Follow up. Made trip yesterday and currently still in stand. Have seen as many deer as any other weekend. Less does though. Bucks are responding to rattling good (& I'm not very experienced at rattling). Two good shooter 8s and around 10 smaller young 8s. Western Tom Greene county.
Posted By: DENTPUSHA

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/30/12 02:53 PM

That's kinda how I feel. I've sat a many full moon days in the blind with nothing to show.
Posted By: JTL 7mm

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/30/12 03:07 PM

Well been hunting this warm weather big moon since Tuesday and have seen one pig and 1 resident 6pt that lives at the feeders and even he is not coming out till last 10 min of light. Wed. After the hunt I had a shadow walking back to the truck from the moon that evening. So, yea you can't kill from your couch but you also can't get less favorable conditions for success. Oh yea, I hunt in motley co.
Posted By: Layemdown1983

Re: thoughts on this weekend - 11/30/12 07:57 PM

A bad day in the stand beats an awesome day on the couch or at work. If nothing else, get some work done around camp and enjoy the woods. Good luck
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum