Texas Hunting Forum

Neighbors? What Neighbors?

Posted By: Novemberyet

Neighbors? What Neighbors? - 11/11/12 09:05 PM

After calling it an early morning (and getting rained on twice), I headed back to the house. I usually don't hunt Sunday afternoons because I spend time with the family before the work-week. So I do a little scouting, planning and fence walking....we have horses and during season I'm the only one back there. I'm walking up a long row and looking down the clearing when I hear a grunt! It's pretty close and I freeze. The grunt is coming from the other side of the fence where nobody hunts. I drop down and grunt back while my eyes scour the woods. I don't see anything and I give a grunt in return. To my surprise, another hunter on the ground grunts back. I raise my hand to acknowledge I've seen him then get out of the area as fast and as quiet as I can. As I get closer to the house, I call the landowner just to double-check and see if anybody is back there. My neighbor says, "Nobody is supposed to be back there but James' pick up is here so I guess he's back there". I tell her that I just wanted to make sure and to apologize for interrupting his hunt. I did not know he was hunting and has no intention of walking up on him. So little moral dilemma: I like to think I'm a decent steward and would never intentionally ruin or try to interrupt another hunter.....BUT HE'S NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE THERE! So I'll keep my eyes open and watch my stuff for somebody who's "not supposed to be there". (these are the neighbors who are known to cook dope....yay)
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Neighbors? What Neighbors? - 11/11/12 09:09 PM

Sounds like you did all you can. Anybody with common sense should understand.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: Neighbors? What Neighbors? - 11/11/12 09:13 PM

Good on you. Coulda ended up ugly.
Posted By: CajunT

Re: Neighbors? What Neighbors? - 11/13/12 10:15 PM

Be careful
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Neighbors? What Neighbors? - 11/13/12 10:36 PM

X2
Posted By: Bandera Hunter

Re: Neighbors? What Neighbors? - 11/13/12 10:52 PM

I try to stay away from fence lines during hunting season just for this reason. That and I dont want to get shot by someone that isnt identifying their target before shooting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum