Texas Hunting Forum

Moon phases

Posted By: txhunter1010

Moon phases - 11/01/12 01:57 PM

Just heard some biologists talking about noon phases. I know this is always a big topic and everyone has their opinions. The biologists took surveys on deer from almost every state that were radio collared and there movements and breeding had nothing to do with the moon. Interesting
Posted By: TXHogger

Re: Moon phases - 11/01/12 02:00 PM

good because it is gonna be out this weekend right?
Posted By: TruTexican

Re: Moon phases - 11/01/12 02:04 PM

I heard the same show. Very interesting information.
Posted By: Team By-God

Re: Moon phases - 11/01/12 02:36 PM

All I know is both times I went with a big moon I saw no deer while hunting and saw deer out feeding both trips during mid day while going to and from town..
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Moon phases - 11/01/12 02:38 PM

yep, if it is a full moon I will be out all day...
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Moon phases - 11/01/12 03:07 PM

Adhere to that study and your chances at killing deer, especially big deer, will suffer.
Posted By: HighTechRedneck

Re: Moon phases - 11/01/12 06:49 PM

Hunt hard and Hunt often!
I saw and read same story. They did this from Maine to Texas and states in between for several years and the radio collars recorded there movement every 15 minutes for months at a time, this was done on wild hunted deer. The moon phases according to there report and data retrieved from the collars had no relation to deer, even mature bucks movement, nor did the moon phase effect the rut. I still say, Hunt Hard and Hunt often and leave the reviews and surveys for paper work and reading.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Moon phases - 11/01/12 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: HighTechRedneck
Hunt hard and Hunt often!
I saw and read same story. They did this from Maine to Texas and states in between for several years and the radio collars recorded there movement every 15 minutes for months at a time, this was done on wild hunted deer. The moon phases according to there report and data retrieved from the collars had no relation to deer, even mature bucks movement, nor did the moon phase effect the rut. I still say, Hunt Hard and Hunt often and leave the reviews and surveys for paper work and reading.
Good point. Nothing substitues for time in the stand. The more hours you sit, the better your odds, regardless of moon phases.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Moon phases - 11/01/12 07:17 PM

Yes the more you can be in the stand the better regardless of moon, weather, etc. If you arent there you will not see a thing
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Moon phases - 11/01/12 07:41 PM

I can tell you from personal experience that will a full moon over head at night the deer will be up and moving 12 or so hours later. It works well for us in West Texas and the past 2 days I have seen deer up and moving between 12-1:30 with the bright moon we have had. But I hunt no matter what the moon phase is. What effects movement more than anything is how long they have to spend feeding or finding feed.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Moon phases - 11/01/12 08:02 PM

Just buy some c'mere deer and you're good to go. They'll sleepwalk for that stuff.

***The above is false***
Posted By: MBS1669

Re: Moon phases - 11/01/12 09:01 PM

If its a full moon I will hunt all day as well. Most of my activity of mature bucks are generally during the day with a full moon. I agree the more often you hunt the better the chances.
Posted By: n-all

Re: Moon phases - 11/01/12 09:21 PM

most of the summer Ive had deer..both buck and does...at the feeder anywhere from day light..till 1-2 pm..then back at deep night..and early am..go figure
Posted By: Land_Man

Re: Moon phases - 11/02/12 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: HighTechRedneck
Hunt hard and Hunt often

word!!! i sit in the stand all day, every day im out there. cant even tell you how many deer ive looked up from a paperback and found under a feeder.
Posted By: rtp

Re: Moon phases - 11/02/12 01:30 AM

I hunt most weeks of the season and have followed the moon and its effects on deer movement for the past 15 plus years on my place. I have a large low fence place with minimal hunting pressure. I am absolutely positive the moon plays a role in deer movement, more specifically the time of day of deer movement. As on example, for a full or new moon the deer want to move during the middle of the day and the middle of the night. If it is hot, my deer will not move much at all during the middle of the day. If it is cool and cloudy, they will move great. In fact it is one of my favorite times to get out in the woods and move slowly about. Nothing is for certain but I do think the moon plays a role int deer movement. It is only one factor and I believe the weather and hunting pressure can override it's effects for sure.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Moon phases - 11/02/12 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
Just heard some biologists talking about noon phases. I know this is always a big topic and everyone has their opinions. The biologists took surveys on deer from almost every state that were radio collared and there movements and breeding had nothing to do with the moon. Interesting

I disagree whole-heartedly
Posted By: AlaskaCub

Re: Moon phases - 11/02/12 01:37 PM

I have hunted in a lot of places for a lot of different animals and the one variable that always impacts animal movements more than anything is temperature. If its hot or too warm the animals just dont move while the suns up. If the temps are cooler they naturally burn more calories just keeping warm which requires them to feed more and just like us they can move about freely without having to worry about hydration. I have seen the theories about full and new moons absolutely proved wrong both in the field and in the ocean. Some folks are superstitious about moon phases but I am not one of them. Give me cool temps and not too much wind and the critters will move!!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum