Texas Hunting Forum

Deer & Cattle on the same property....

Posted By: TX35

Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 04:37 PM

There was another post on here about Deer & cattle on the same property. My feelings are, if the Deer are used to them.. Now, here is a quote I just read, "Cattle will not eat in areas where deer have urinated. This is often a farmers biggest complaint against deer - they will walk all over hay stacks, piss, then the cattle don't want the hay." I personally can't see cattle being that picky. For what it's worth, the land owner on my lease put out several (I believe) Santa Gertrudis cattle on my part of the lease. So far,eek they haven't made it through my hog panels around my feeder, so far!!!!!! Correction...... The cattle are Black Angus!!
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 04:39 PM

I've never seen a deer on a haystack. scratch
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 05:57 PM

I dont believe the

"Cattle will not eat in areas where deer have urinated. This is often a farmers biggest complaint against deer - they will walk all over hay stacks, piss, then the cattle don't want the hay."

I have had a herd of angus roll in and lick corn off the ground that had deer turds all over it; cattle are usually a part of deer life and dont fear them too much. They run off when they come in but dont spook like if it were a person.

Same with tractors; we had a group of deer that would stand 50yds from a tractor with completely tented glass(one way reflective)....come by in a tractor with clear glass or open cab and they were gone.
Posted By: Brando-Commando

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 06:01 PM

Where i hunt, there is cattle ALLL OVER THE PLACE!! They EAT everything, i would bet they eat where the deers piss at and vice versus.
Posted By: RandallW20

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 06:14 PM

All I've ever hunted was where deer and cattle intermixed. We raise cattle and I have never once had an issue where either were a problem.

Only issues I have are the cattle getting to the feeder/corn or the whole herd following you to your stand and standing around staring at you and mooing expecting to be fed while you are in the stand.
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 07:38 PM

I don't think cattle bother the deer as long as there is not two many of them overgrazing which will keep alot of deer from actually living on that property.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 07:44 PM

IN most cases, cattle are just a part of the landscape, just like trees and bushes and windmills. Deer do not feel threatened by cattle.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 07:55 PM

we have cattle on our place and have a few game cam pics of deer and cattle at the same feeder.....no problem for us
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
IN most cases, cattle are just a part of the landscape, just like trees and bushes and windmills. Deer do not feel threatened by cattle.

This is why I bought new camo.

Works every time!
Posted By: Hunter-4-Life

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 08:11 PM

rofl
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 08:20 PM

how did you get a girt mixed up with a black angus lol
Posted By: Adelbridge

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 09:19 PM

were I hunt the feeders are fenced off so the cows dont eat the corn
Posted By: Payne

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 09:23 PM

See deer and cattle grazing together all the time.
Posted By: TX35

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/25/12 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

Obviously I don't know my cattle very well! Except, what I like to be sitting next to it on my dinner plate..... grin
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/26/12 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: TX35
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Obviously I don't know my cattle very well! Except, what I like to be sitting next to it on my dinner plate..... grin

lol mmmmmmmmm BEEF
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/26/12 01:50 PM

You can use them to your advantage too. Several times I've made the cows move through an area and then circled around to find deer moving in front of them to get out of the way. Just like a classic style drive. The cows on our place don't really bother the feeders too much, but the deer don't really want to hang out with them either.
Posted By: woodwalker

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/26/12 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: RandallW20
the whole herd following you to your stand and standing around staring at you and mooing expecting to be fed while you are in the stand.

and then bedding down in the direction of the feeder.....
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Deer & Cattle on the same property.... - 10/26/12 02:00 PM

Try this camo pattern:

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum