Texas Hunting Forum

What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day?

Posted By: Texas Dan

What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/22/12 11:15 PM

If you've ever hunted a deer lease before, you know that most if not all stands carry a name that hunters use to identity them. So what is the name of the stand that you'll be hunting on Opening Day?

Right now it looks as if I will be hunting the "Back Door". This name is not so much the name of the stand itself, but the area where I have setup a ladder stand. The area gets its name from the fact that deer often pass through the area to exit our lease and find safety on public land.
Posted By: Curly

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/22/12 11:19 PM

hopefully "lucky"
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/22/12 11:24 PM

Our 3 newest sets are not named other than, "the one across the road", "the one by the bucket feeder", and "the one before the bridge".
All our other stands are named which makes this year tough for communicating with the older guys on our place!
Posted By: rifleman

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/22/12 11:47 PM

I will be hunting "the stand on the back of the hayfield"
Posted By: TCB

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/22/12 11:51 PM

I'll hopefully be in the "where ever they drop me off" stand if the invite from a buddy comes thru.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/22/12 11:55 PM

The heralded "lower pasture" will house my buddy.

I'll be in "the tripod on the hill".

Nobody sitting in "upper pasture blind" this time.

We may try a little rattling in "the woods" where the "game trails cross".
Posted By: 603Country

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:00 AM

Good question and I'm happy to answer. I'll be in the "tall blind", which is the tallest box blind we have. The others are: "the 25 acre stand"; "the old bright green stand";, "the lovers lane blind", and "the hidey hole blind".

Your question made me smile and made me remember all the stands my Dad used to name. He was big on naming them, and my "hidey hole" stand is named in his honor, and after his favorite box blind, that I made for him.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:04 AM

I hunted the "Concrete" stand, one buddy hunted the "All Star" stand and the last guy hunted the "Valero" stand.
Posted By: senko86

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:04 AM

I'll be in good ole "tripod"

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
Good question and I'm happy to answer. I'll be in the "tall blind", which is the tallest box blind we have. The others are: "the 25 acre stand"; "the old bright green stand";, "the lovers lane blind", and "the hidey hole blind". Your question made me smile and made me remember all the stands my Dad used to name. He was big on naming them, and my "hidey hole" stand is named in his honor, and after his favorite box blind, that I made for him.

same stand?

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:07 AM

At my buddy's place we have the following:

and finally:

I prefer #1.
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:08 AM

the dirty hole
Posted By: MathMan

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:10 AM

Grandmas river bottom upper blind
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:21 AM

I don't know what he calls it. wink

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:23 AM

^^^^^"logging road #2"
Posted By: fishonmyline

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:23 AM

The "Back", we also have the "new one", sprink tank, tower, pallet blind and the tank.
Posted By: Ron H

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:26 AM

I'll probably be on the Pipeline. We also have the Purple Feeder, that no longer is purple! Two others are easy, Archie's and John's. We have two other stands that have not been officially labeled.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:30 AM

"My stand". My BIL and buddy call it "Clay's stand". smile
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:31 AM

We have River(down by the river),
Corner(in the corner),
No Man(because before we moved it no man would hunt there), Levee (cause it's by the levee),
Top Wheat(which is wild since there's no bottom wheat),
Cliff (yep, on a cliff),
South,
Big Cedar(because it's 8x8, made from cedar, and in a cedar thicket),
Walk-in(cause its close to our sanctuary and we agreed, walkin only),
Tower,
PopUp (which moves),
and my two favorites,
El Arroyo Dos (my wife's a Pat Green fan, favorite Austin Restaurant, and, it's in a Ditch, and it's the replacement.), and of course everyone's favorite, The Boom Box.......

There's soon to be Resurrection(the original el arroyo),
and Big Oak as well....

Opening weekend, I'll be home and at TMS for the race; Next weekend, my wife will be at Levee and I'll be at No man, unless we both go to boom box.
Posted By: mike9582

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:32 AM

1. Back forty
2. The Byrd
3. Tower
4. Big field
5. Sub station
6. Singleton point
7. Rocket ship
8. Drive by
9. Crap house
I think I will be in Rocket ship on opening morning.
Posted By: Ringer1

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:37 AM

"My" stand
Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:47 AM

I'll be in the "bear stand", my wife will be in either the "upper field" or at the "y". I'll probably hunt the "nose bleed" too opening weekend.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:47 AM

My dads stand lol, of course he will be in it also and hope he gets a shot on a big 8 we have been seeing, Im there for eyes and pig support.
Posted By: Scoop

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 12:52 AM

Probably Anna Nicole, or Rachel Hunter. Named after the Playboy centerfolds from the mags I found in them when I bought the place. confused2
Posted By: TXW

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 01:09 AM

Well it won't be the pop-up I was planning on. Last weekend a guy pulled a pistol on me when I tried to get in. bolt
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 01:17 AM

^
LOL
Posted By: jackcountyhunter

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 01:18 AM

We have the Taj, game field, buck snort, double and dead end.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 01:35 AM

Here is a list of blinds I have had to hunt from in the past 20+yrs and I am sure I am leaving some out:
1. Highlonesome Creek
2. Highlonesome #1
3. Highlonesome #2
4. Highlonesome #3
5. First on top 7
6. Blind at the gate on top in 7
7. First blind in back in 8
8. Deer Alley
9. Far north corner in 8
10.Little Blanco Creek in 8
11.Blind in the Saddle at barn
12.Whiskey Head
13.Well Blind
14.Northwest Duck Lake
15.North Pipeline
16.North Beanos
17.Beanos
18.North Duck Lake
19.South Duck Lake
20.Old Propane Tank Blind
21.North Bass
22.Bass Blind
23.North of Glass Lake
24.169 Blind
25.East Glass Condo Blind
26.192 Blind
27.Cripple 10 Blind
28.Southwest Noche Triste Tank Blind
29.Big Noche Triste Tank Blind
30.New El Paso Blind
31.Old El Paso Blind
32.Ridge Blind
33.Northeast Dove Tank
34.North Condo Tank Blind
35.Bridge Stand
36.Hoot Owl
37.Twin Creeks
38.Nose Bleed
38.Catfish
39.Bobcat
40.South Hyline Blind
41.Shooting Range Pond Blind
42.Armadillo
43.Honey Hole
44.Haag House Blind
45.Lodge Stand
46.East Sister Creek Blind
47.Ten on Top Blind
48.South Ten Blind
49.Main Road Blind
50.Blind above Main Road
51.Souell Creek Stand
52.Main Road at Gate
53.Blind on Top in Safari
54.Blind in Hay Patch in Safari
55.Coyote Tank
56.Hylift Blind
57.Handicap Trailer Blind
58.Top Drive
Along with 10 more on that were just numbers 1-10
Also about 30 more tripods that were moved from year to year.

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 01:51 AM

Where was "well blind", stx?

Have a buddy with an outstanding ranch in south texas with a blind named that, but I'm sure it's not exactly rare.

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 01:53 AM

Crapped My Pants blind usually produces.

It's a secret why I named it that though.

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 01:53 AM

I hear those are well lit for nighttime hunting.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Where was "well blind", stx?

Have a buddy with an outstanding ranch in south texas with a blind named that, but I'm sure it's not exactly rare.

Part of the Old Cameron Ranch in Eastern La Salle County.

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Ron H
We also have the Purple Feeder, that no longer is purple!

We have a "Wooden Bridge" stand, even though the bridge washed out over a decade ago.
Posted By: fsevin

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:04 AM

Neat idea for a thread! I'm not sure where I'll end up --- depends on the wind, and I may hunt Sat/Sun/Mon in 3 different stands. But I think the names are sometimes good for a chuckle. Here are the stands on my friend's ranch, and why the name:

1. Pop's - it was his Dad's stand
2. Railroad - on an old railroad bed.
3. middle - its kinda in the middle, but more North?
4. Wheatfield - you guessed it!
5. South -- musta been after a few drinks,because it is the most middle one!
6. Tank - Its next to the tank
7. Sniper - its the longest shot to the feeder.
8. Cliffhanger - on the edge of a high rock ledge, about 35' up, can't see the edge fROm the window, and it was leaning like it was just hanging on to the cliff...fixed the lean on the Monday after Bow opening weekend..
9. Over Yonder - furthest from camp
10. Tripod - the only one that isn't a box blind is a tripod... nuff said.

Hmm.... more deer go to Middle, biggest buck pics at Cliffhanger, more mature bucks at Over Yonder --- too many choices!
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:05 AM

my stand or the pig stand (one and the same)
Posted By: Stub

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:11 AM

East stand
Posted By: Cannon

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:12 AM

The Coffee Can
Posted By: DeerTamales

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:16 AM

El Sanchez or hoot owl blind
Posted By: 603Country

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:21 AM

Rifleman, no, my Hidey Hole stand isn't the same stand as the one my Dad hunted out of for so many years, but is built just like it and by the same carpenter (me).

And I just remembered that I do actually have the "outhouse stand", which at one time was really a one-holer outhouse. The previous landowner turned it into a deer stand once he had indoor plumbing. Nobody hunts it because buzzards lay and hatch eggs in it every year and then raise their young in it until they can fly. The original white plastic chair is still in there, along with the original toilet seat, and everything is encrusted in buzzard crap. All I do with it is show visitors what baby buzzards look like. The little ones are cute, with tan colored down all over them, but they do turn ugly real fast.
Posted By: texaspatriot.308

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:24 AM

it's called a 1992 Jeep Wrangler.
Posted By: OneShotSam

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:25 AM

Redneck
High hat
Owl den
Snake hole
Rat box
Front
Back
Middleweight
Heavyweight

Better than that I would like to see some pictures of some of the blinds with these names lol
Posted By: jskin

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:58 AM

The sycamore, the tripod feeder, behind the house, neck breaker, that's the only ones I know thus far since its my first year here.
Posted By: Mavric

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:59 AM

We've created some creative names to our blinds/tree stands...

1. Ponderosa
2. Tower
3. Sky Box
4. Big [censored] Window
5. SS Minnow
6. Lake Plot
7. Doe Stand
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 03:07 AM

I will be hunting the "Harrison Co. Hilton".

My buddy just put up a new box blind on the pipeline...anybody wanna help me give it a name?
Posted By: sterling/ranch

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 03:11 AM

We have three blinds, "the creek", " the middle", and "the live oak".
Ill be hunting at the middle while my buddies hunt at the creek and live oak.
Posted By: C-ray567

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 03:22 AM

Sendero, pear flats, radio tower, or north blind. Was in the south blind opening bow season, will still be bowhunting. Hopefully somebody that's busted out their fire stick will push 'em my way! Good luck guys!

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 03:27 AM

We once had what I coined as "The Drunk Stand". It was a wooden platform with a swivel-type boat seat nailed to it. Not being completely perpendicular, it made you feel as if you would fall backwards when you turned around in it. As I told our lease president, "Anyone with a hang-over has no business hunting it."
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: TXW
Well it won't be the pop-up I was planning on. Last weekend a guy pulled a pistol on me when I tried to get in. bolt

rofl
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 01:10 PM

LOL. Did that fence leave a mark?
Posted By: JMalin

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 01:16 PM

1. The roofless tower
2. Tower on the pipeline
3. The far east
4. Red snapper
5. Gray metal
6. Oma's
7. Short tower

These are my options. I think I'll go with the tower on the pipeline (my personal favorite, even though I've never actually harvested a buck from that blind)
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 01:28 PM

"That stand over by the _______________."
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:10 PM

there is "my stand" "dad's stand" and "brothers stand" and then the extra two are "the thicket stand" and the "corner stand".....i rememebr growing up when i first started hunting with my dad at a lease in Llano, there was the "wire stand" which was were i shot my first deer from. it was all carpeted, windows, and had two big plush office chairs in it.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:28 PM

Pena
Alacrande
Pitza
Cuernos
Bobcat
Crown
Wayne's
Clay's Corner
Twin Lakes
Upper Highline
Lower Highline
Ghost
Posted By: SCson

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:36 PM

Depending on wind & where my son wats to go I'll be either at the
Sippy hole
Academy
River stand
Posted By: glasshole

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:38 PM

HA HA...i like this post. I will be hunting in the "SH*t House Blind" that's where I have been seen some good deer...if that doesn't happen, I will be in the boring "Metal Blind"
Posted By: Bearclaw

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:40 PM

"The new big box blind" for now. Will come up with a better name later.
Other stands are

Creek
2 man
fence line
old box blind
feeder ground blind
Posted By: 007hunters son

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:45 PM

Top of the dam
Posted By: TooLow

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:47 PM

Live Oak blind is my stand.
Posted By: jpfrog

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:47 PM

Creek
Posted By: netman

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:51 PM

I will be sitting in the boxcar blind.

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:56 PM

Just a few stand names thrown around our lease...

Bone Stand
Blue Trees
Clay Hill
Tower Stand
First Field
Black Stand

What's interesting is how stands often get their name. In most cases, it's probably nothing more that the first thing that comes out of a person's mouth when they try to somehow differentiate the stand from others in the area. But without question, the best names come from people and events that are somehow linked with the stand itself. Once such stand on our lease would be the "Toilet Paper" stand. The name stuck after an abundance of toilet paper was found in the area after a hunter had certain stomach issues while hunting it one morning.
Posted By: aeb

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 02:59 PM

Fun thread. My guy's have one they call the "hotel blind". I guess because it is pretty big. Looks like something that came from "Motel 5 1/2", not quiet a 6. Another is the "junkyard blind". Every ranch has a row of dead feed trucks, etc that have gone on the that great feedlot in the sky. Mine is no different and you once had to work your way through my junkyard to get to the blind. High scrap prices ended the junkyard but the blind's name lives on. I am sure the new guy on the lease wonders where the name came from. confused2
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 03:13 PM

We have "Arnold's Blind", "Albert's Blind", and "Luke's (me) Blind". We also have 3 more that we don't use much. "Tony's Blind", "The Blind That's tipped over", and "The Blind by the Road."
I'll be in my blind "Luke's", and hopefully it won't be a damn sweatbox in there. The temperatures down here in South Texas have been in the mid to upper 90s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Here is a list of blinds I have had to hunt from in the past 20+yrs and I am sure I am leaving some out:
1. Highlonesome Creek
2. Highlonesome #1
3. Highlonesome #2
4. Highlonesome #3
5. First on top 7
8. Deer Alley
9. Far north corner in 8
12.Whiskey Head
13.Well Blind
14.Northwest Duck Lake
15.North Pipeline
16.North Beanos
17.Beanos
18.North Duck Lake
19.South Duck Lake
21.North Bass
22.Bass Blind
23.North of Glass Lake
24.169 Blind
26.192 Blind
27.Cripple 10 Blind
30.New El Paso Blind
31.Old El Paso Blind
32.Ridge Blind
33.Northeast Dove Tank
35.Bridge Stand
36.Hoot Owl
37.Twin Creeks
38.Nose Bleed
38.Catfish
39.Bobcat
40.South Hyline Blind
42.Armadillo
43.Honey Hole
44.Haag House Blind
45.Lodge Stand
47.Ten on Top Blind
48.South Ten Blind
49.Main Road Blind
50.Blind above Main Road
51.Souell Creek Stand
52.Main Road at Gate
55.Coyote Tank
56.Hylift Blind
58.Top Drive
More reasons for me to hate you haha.

Sorry jealousy does evil things to me.
Posted By: BuckFan

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 03:33 PM

Concrete Slab
Oil Well Set
Pipeline
Ronnie's Stand
Harvey's Corner
Jeep Blind
LP Lake
Wagon Wheel
The Tank
Tall Boy
Little Field
Big Field
State Woods Hill
The Platform
Honey Hole

I've been bowhunting the Wagon Wheel.. but may switch to the Honey Hole!
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 03:42 PM

GMC 2500 high rack at every location on the ranch.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 04:09 PM

Middle Pasture
East Pasture
North Pasture
Jeremy's Tripod
Sha-Boom Sha-Boom
Horse Trough
Turkey Ridge
Dove Field
and the Phoenix Crossing, which I named this year after a Phoenix I saw cross there. Such a beautiful bird.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 04:09 PM

lazy boy, unfortunately
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

roflmao
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 04:15 PM

We have 5

tank
tower
tripod
sleepy
Posted By: Stompy

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 04:17 PM

The "Behind the house stand" in the morning.

The "Wheat field stand" in the afternoon.
Posted By: js4242

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 04:27 PM

The SIL Stand - I married in so I get the last pick of the stands. Not complaining since I get to hunt for free, but there is a reason there were never stands where I get to hunt.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 04:44 PM

We drew straws already. (except Dad)
me- Here when I bought the place
chris- Spooky creek
Dan- Highline
Dave- My neighbor's
Dad- The one Dad Built
Posted By: fatcat

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 04:44 PM

Thats funny walking
Posted By: fatcat

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 04:52 PM

I will be hunting La Bamba or The Bus Stop deer2
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 05:01 PM

On our lease we have the following stand names.
JimBo's on the hill stand
Jimbo's by the tank stand
Jimbo's the chit hole stand
Bob's main stand
Bob's 160 stand
Steve's by the creek stand
Steve's north of camp stand
Curt's mesquite flat stand
Curt's northeast of camp stand
Heath's draw stand
Heath's 160 stand

For some strange reason none of us like hunt in JimBo's chit hole stand!!!
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 05:23 PM

We have 8 hunters that all have "PRIVATE" stands and then there's 5 community blinds

Rock Blind
Pond Blind
Fence Row
Eric's blind
Nowitzki(platform made out of old basketball goal from off side of the barn)

I'll be hunting my blind which I call D's Tree
Posted By: buck-snort

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 05:30 PM

axis stand. The reason I picked this spot is because I always see axis.
Posted By: mikey1313

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 05:44 PM

I'll be in " deer house"

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

roflmao
eek
Posted By: ETX284

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 06:32 PM

Either "Old Ugly" or "Death Valley". And yes I am the best shot in the Valley. LOL!
Posted By: Let The Air Out of 'Em

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 06:47 PM

So is the stand yours or his??? confused2
Posted By: TXW

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Let The Air Out of 'Em

So is the stand yours or his??? confused2

Very good question. My problem is that I brought a bow to a gun fight. Guess it is his at this point. peep
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 06:50 PM

the duck hole....and yes i will be duck hunting
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 06:57 PM

We have:
The Cemetery (yep, real cemetery)
County Road Field
Big Buck Draw
The Monument
Kitchen Cabinet Blind (made from cabinets)
The Cedars
The Golf Cart
The North
The Other North
The Mesa
Rattlesnake Point
Coyote Point
Lost Field
Windmill
The Feedlot
Years of Enjoyment
The Big Thicket

Probably forgotten one or two.
Posted By: Let The Air Out of 'Em

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 07:13 PM

This is a great thread!! Brings back a lot of memories.

I'll be hunting the "Behind the Crappie Pond" stand opening weekend, my other favorite is the "Back" stand.

Other names for stands on our place:
Tom's Tripod
Heifer Pasture
10 Pines
Powerline
Clary Pasture
Seth's Stand
Bent Gate
Dozer Trail
Middle Powerline Tripod
White Oak
Trash Pasture (which has never had trash in it)
Secret Pond
The Draw
That tripod between Heifer and bent gate
Tripod on the hill
Little pipeline
Behind the House
The Bottom
West Creek

Others that Ive hunted in over the years
Jacks Oat Patch (my Dad's where I got my start)
Mike's
Skip's (My Granddad)
Pond Stand
Bruce's Stand
Back Corner
Walter's
The Hilton
Windmill
The 155 Stand
Barn Stand
Right Of Way
The Bottom (there's one everywhere I've ever hunted)
Green Stand
North Pole (Very Cold!!)
Dirt Tank
Back Fence
Honey Hole
Pig Stand
Doe Stand
High Line
The Creek
Worn Out
Bobcat
The Well
Hi Pockets
The Deuce
The Deuce and a half
Howdy Stand
The Front
The Ladder
The Tower
Sh*t House
Big Oak
Behind the Dam
The Hangover Stand (yep, you know why)
Back Forty
The Chair (one of my favorites from the past, and it was just a chair)
Oil Well Pad
Cadillac
The Point
Cedar Ridge
Clay Pit
Daylight
Last Pick
....just ones i can remember

Building a new tower right now that will be named "The Widowmaker"
Posted By: TXHUNT

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 07:19 PM

It's called the high line or the condo
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 07:26 PM

The Copperhead blind
The powerline blind
The field blind
The pipeline blind
The black blind
The hog pipe blind
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 07:29 PM

Looks like it will just be Southtexas Cracker, Granny and I hunting opening morning. Possible contenders include the New Corner, Old Corner, Curt's, Busted Windmill, Quail Pasture, Back Oats, Barn, Feedlot and the 534. Granny, of course, will be hunting out of "Granny's".
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Pope&Young

For some strange reason none of us like hunt in JimBo's chit hole stand!!!

I'm not the same Jimbo you're talking about, but I had a stand on another lease that was an old outhouse that was built by the previous hunters who had the lease. We didn't use it but it was weather tight, so we moved the outhouse not too far from the old camp, but only thing we did was put a chair in it and cut shooting windows.
Everytime I sat in that stand my stomach would start gergetating and I'd get the urge to potty.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 08:05 PM

The honey hole
Posted By: HoosierDaddy3

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 08:14 PM

Mine hasn't earned a name yet...since it's the only one I have and this is the first year..it is referred to as "the blind" right now. Hopefully by next year it will have a cool name like "Honey hole" or Buck Central or even "The Glade" since it overlooks a nice glade in the Pineywoods...

I thought about calling it WORK...so i can just head out in the morning and tell the wife I'm going to WORK...I think she'd catch on.
Posted By: kry226

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 08:25 PM

Out in the checkerboard area, my place is a perfect rectangle and it's the North, South, East, or West Blind. I'll be out west.
Posted By: smithwr

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 09:05 PM

We have

The field
The pipeline
The flat
The tripod
Posted By: Hill Country Stalker

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 09:27 PM

Simply "#8"
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 09:36 PM

death tower
thick nasty
Posted By: ar-15hunter

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 09:38 PM

the blind that needs shorter legs

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 10:03 PM

laugh
Posted By: Dude Briggs

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 10:09 PM

I been hunting for almost 4 weeks now :P
Posted By: Team By-God

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 10:27 PM

The only named blind on our place is Taj. As in Taj Mahal. I think I got it spelled. lose to right. It's smallest rattiest blind on the place...
Posted By: txprowler

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 10:52 PM

The Naked Lady Stand
Posted By: Nridge47

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 11:13 PM

The box blind this weekend with my son
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/23/12 11:16 PM

My stand if it's not raining......
The Alvocado stand if it is raining

Posted By: twinbubba

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 12:06 AM

We have:
The Aussie blind - it's out back behind our camp trailer
The Hill Billy blind - it's on a hill
The Sherman blind - it's on a tank
The Château blind - it's our only tower blind
Posted By: bcwhit

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 12:27 AM

pipe line most likly. Maybe the sendero tripod. depends on the wind.

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 12:32 AM

If cam shows something interesting I could be sitting in my climber in a tree called "only pine big enough to put climber on" that has half its roots showing in the creek bottom.
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 01:06 AM

#3 - we're not very original with our stand names...grin
Posted By: wlldraper

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 01:07 AM

Big Mack

Posted By: cb66

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 01:16 AM

The Chuck Condo, my Monarch "King" 4x6 10.5 ft 2 man blind.

Just right for me and my son.

CB
Posted By: Mankussm

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 01:20 AM

Winch-Up or Wheat Field
Posted By: DoubleTrouble

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 01:33 AM

chicken hawk......first sit with bow ended with target buck being killed!!!
Posted By: tskin

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 01:36 AM

BOTTOM STAND
HILL STAND

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
1. Highlonesome Creek
2. Highlonesome #1
3. Highlonesome #2
4. Highlonesome #3
5. First on top 7
8. Deer Alley
9. Far north corner in 8
12.Whiskey Head
13.Well Blind
14.Northwest Duck Lake
15.North Pipeline
16.North Beanos
17.Beanos
18.North Duck Lake
19.South Duck Lake
21.North Bass
22.Bass Blind
23.North of Glass Lake
24.169 Blind
26.192 Blind
27.Cripple 10 Blind
30.New El Paso Blind
31.Old El Paso Blind
32.Ridge Blind
33.Northeast Dove Tank
35.Bridge Stand
36.Hoot Owl
37.Twin Creeks
38.Nose Bleed
38.Catfish
39.Bobcat
40.South Hyline Blind
42.Armadillo
43.Honey Hole
44.Haag House Blind
45.Lodge Stand
47.Ten on Top Blind
48.South Ten Blind
49.Main Road Blind
50.Blind above Main Road
51.Souell Creek Stand
52.Main Road at Gate
55.Coyote Tank
56.Hylift Blind
58.Top Drive

Well then I won't tell you that I have killed at least one deer from each of those stands then. peep
Posted By: Robby C

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 09:02 PM

The Outhouse because that is exactly what it looks like from a distance.

Also got

1.) The Cliff - cause it sits on a 30 ft drop
2.) White Tail - previous owner named it
3.) The Tower - the 1st tower we ever owned
Posted By: leamonka

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 09:09 PM

Death Valley
Gut Pile
Pink Stand
Posted By: volsdad

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 10:12 PM

I will be in " no seeum" opening day.
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/24/12 10:26 PM

I'll be in SOGGY BOTTOM opening weekend !

some of the othere are
two holer
duplex
palace
mansion
4x4
north pole
Santa's work shop
sonw cone stand
hwy 80
love shack
homestead
little house on the prairie
Posted By: brassell

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 03:01 AM

Probably "Castanza".. Maybe "Kramer". All of the stands on my family land are named after Seinfeld characters.
Posted By: Bannon

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 03:07 AM

"Upstairs"- because it has a stairway and it's on the highest elevation on the lease
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 03:13 AM

The " Penthouse "
Posted By: gollygee

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 03:16 AM

"The condo". Where I go if the camp house is too cold or noisy. Gave up on survival deer hunting several years ago.
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 03:42 AM

Newbie!!
Posted By: Texsun

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 03:43 AM

The Stand in the Cup.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 04:10 AM

The Hill
Posted By: Huntsmanda

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 04:13 AM

Mine is El Arroyo (because The Ravine/Creek was too generic)

We also have a:
Taj Mahal aka Penthouse

Others:
Zoo (because you see all kinds of animals there, including humans)
Zoo II
Rattle Trap (not the lure but the noise it makes and death trap that it is)
The Pocket (in between two ravines)
Cactus Flats
The Top
The Low Stand (2nd highest stand on the lease but lower than The Top)
Aluminum
Rollin Hollar
House Stand (if you shot from the camp, you could reach the feeder)

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
1. Highlonesome Creek
2. Highlonesome #1
3. Highlonesome #2
4. Highlonesome #3
5. First on top 7
8. Deer Alley
9. Far north corner in 8
12.Whiskey Head
13.Well Blind
14.Northwest Duck Lake
15.North Pipeline
16.North Beanos
17.Beanos
18.North Duck Lake
19.South Duck Lake
21.North Bass
22.Bass Blind
23.North of Glass Lake
24.169 Blind
26.192 Blind
27.Cripple 10 Blind
30.New El Paso Blind
31.Old El Paso Blind
32.Ridge Blind
33.Northeast Dove Tank
35.Bridge Stand
36.Hoot Owl
37.Twin Creeks
38.Nose Bleed
38.Catfish
39.Bobcat
40.South Hyline Blind
42.Armadillo
43.Honey Hole
44.Haag House Blind
45.Lodge Stand
47.Ten on Top Blind
48.South Ten Blind
49.Main Road Blind
50.Blind above Main Road
51.Souell Creek Stand
52.Main Road at Gate
55.Coyote Tank
56.Hylift Blind
58.Top Drive

Well then I won't tell you that I have killed at least one deer from each of those stands then. peep

That looks like the menu from our Mexican food joint in Diboll.
Posted By: Wes70

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 10:29 AM

Opening day was a month ago. Oh you mean rifle opener. The couch stand, going to sit at home.
Posted By: west-tex

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 11:42 AM

mine is called the I-10
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 12:27 PM

Been on a couple of leases with multiple stands. Here are a few of the stand names.
High Stand
Horse Trap
Red Windmill
Chandler's Windmill
Blue Angel
Red Stand
Honey Hole
Fence Line
Pipeline Stand
Wheat Field Stand
Tripod Stand
Lots of others based on guys names:
Merek Stand, Russ's Stand, Jerry's Stand, etc.
Posted By: rarjar

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 12:56 PM

Stand names on my ranch are:
1) Rattlesnake
2) Hog waller
3) Road stand
4) Hilton
5) Twin Canyons
6) Hidey Hole
7) Lakeview
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 01:04 PM

The Front Gate Blind
The Big Tank Blind
The Back Blind
The LongHorn Blind

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 02:58 PM

Oops! Silly me. I should have drawn more attention to my original post being made 21 days after the beginning of bow season.

Who knows, perhaps one day I too will become a deer hunting "elitest" where I need not share the woods with those lowly gun hunters.
Posted By: Dude Briggs

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Oops! Silly me. I should have drawn more attention to my original post being made 21 days after the beginning of bow season.

Who knows, perhaps one day I too will become a deer hunting "elitest" where I need not share the woods with those lowly gun hunters.

lol35 I was just bein a smart @$$ I wish I had a place to rifle hunt
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Or you could quite whining like a little girl and just accept it. You could live in a state that gun season is only a couple of weeks long, count yourself blessed you live in Texas. Nothing elite about it, just taking advantage of what the state allows me to do. You are perfectly capable of doing the same.

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Or you could quite whining like a little girl and just accept it. You could live in a state that gun season is only a couple of weeks long, count yourself blessed you live in Texas. Nothing elite about it, just taking advantage of what the state allows me to do. You are perfectly capable of doing the same.

You mean like so many in the bowhunting crowd did when there was first talk of allowing crossbows during archery season. In fact, they whined so much it took the TPWD several years before they decided to do it anyway.

No, I don't need an early start so I can have the woods to myself. I don't mind at all waiting with the rest of the crowd to hit the woods with a rifle.
Posted By: s8nEXlilhlpr

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 08:39 PM

Hopefully I will be on either #1 or #2 that are in my name wink. Not much of a choice really, but as its my first year I'm just hoping to see anything.
Posted By: DANIEL32

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 09:03 PM

I'll be hunting my stand called the "Playboy Mansion" cause there are usually does around it

We'll still be in the rut so it just makes sense to be where the does are at grin
Posted By: Bill_OA

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 10:10 PM

Opening day won't find me in a stand, but Dec. 8th I'll be in either:

Big Tex
Big Twin
Black Top
Back Tower
Big Tripod
Baby Tripod
Bang Tree
Beto's Terror
or Blind Two

Ranch name is BT so the stand names needed to match.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 10:44 PM

Hand Me Down.
Posted By: Big Tony

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 11:03 PM

I love watchin' the sun come up in the "Taj Mahal"

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/25/12 11:44 PM

Probably do the morning hunt in "Vomit House" and then the deer typically move better near "Puke Fest" in the evenings.

If those 2 don't work, "Splatter Pad" will get a try.
Posted By: swmays

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/26/12 04:33 PM

My son and I will be in the "tall one" because he thinks the "short one" gets less deer traffic...
Posted By: TXduckCommander

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/26/12 05:06 PM

"Up Top" or the " The Bottoms." Haven't decided yet.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/26/12 06:34 PM

"The Barn"
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/27/12 01:02 AM

Depends on the wind direction.... Either the Condo, or the Penthouse...
Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/27/12 04:15 AM

I'll be hunting whatever Ft Hood Draws me for....not even gonna try telecheck this year gonna go straight to pot luck!!!
Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 10/30/12 02:52 AM

The Honey Hole (my favorite because it is the only blind with a comfy chair)

Stubborn (This is my friend's favorite blind and he is really stubborn in general so the blind was named after him)

Owl (A family of owls took it over and pooped everywhere and post cleanup it got its name)

Bow (It is our only bow blind so it makes sense)

House (The blind is so close to the house that you might as well hunt from the living room with the window open)
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 11/01/12 06:57 AM

The Sendero Blind or maybe the South field tripod.
Posted By: Medinabuck

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 11/01/12 02:21 PM

'The Waspnest'
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 11/01/12 09:26 PM

MINE
Posted By: texaspatriot.308

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 11/01/12 09:56 PM

'92 Jeep Wrangler.
Posted By: huntincoach

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 11/02/12 02:39 AM

Amarillo
Dallas
Waco
Houston
El Paso
.....based on geographic location on lease
of course!
Dallas & waco are close, but across a big pasture
from eachother.
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 11/02/12 02:41 AM

Oil Rig, cause she is a big, tall, tuff sumbitch. Climbing up her brings back my oil days.
Posted By: Scope_em&Smoke_em

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 11/02/12 02:47 AM

Mojo Bluff
Posted By: Rene

Re: What is the name of the stand you'll be hunting Opening Day? - 11/02/12 11:29 AM

Strong tower because The Lord is our strong tower
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum