Texas Hunting Forum

What's the best deer attractant?

Posted By: txhunter03

What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 12:49 AM

I have been feeding corn along with roasted soybeans and bb squared powder since July and the deer seem to be uninterested. I know they are feeding on all the acorns on the ground. What is the best deer attractant to get their attention away from the acorns to get them coming to feeder once acorns are gone?
Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 12:55 AM

IMO your not going to to them totally away from the acorns.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 01:17 AM

Good old fashioned corn, if that doesn't work, pretty sure other things won't either. Plus one of the cheaper things you can use.

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 01:18 AM

So that brings up another question. Should I gather up the acorns from my oak trees at my house and put them inside the feeder pin? I thought about filling up a 5 gal bucket but didn't know if they would rot or stay good

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 01:20 AM

I agree with just using corn but since its not working I am trying to find some other solutions.
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 01:21 AM

Acorn rage
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 01:24 AM

Not where I hunt, the deer had litte to no interest in Acorn Rage. The only thing that seemed to additionally draw interest from bucks was "Buck Grub" mixed in with the corn but not sure it wasn't primarily the corn in the first place. Plus, the dusty mess of Buck Grub didn't make it worth it either.
Posted By: senko86

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 01:29 AM

Does
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 02:10 AM

My Black F350! I have tagged 3 with it. bang
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 02:17 AM

Indian corn is the bomb!!!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: senko86
Does

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: JCB

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 02:24 AM

I bought some apple flavored candy corn at Wally Mart today in the Halloween isle. Cant wait to give it a try.
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 02:32 AM

An old timer a long time ago told me to take a bail of alfalfa and pour a bottle of molasses over it..... Sounds great but 10 years later and I still haven't tried it.... I know they love the alfalfa in my food plot.... If someone decides to try this let me know
Posted By: Deerdown99

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 02:34 AM

Best Buck attractant out there is good O Doe coooootch.....LOL
Posted By: tyem

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 02:39 AM

I tried swamp donkey last week had deer on it first night

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 02:40 AM

A friend of mine jut told me to try "Buck Blitz" that's made in Oklahoma. Has anyone ever tried this?
Posted By: Circleb41

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 10:08 AM

Have had luck with the deer cane once they discover it. Have had bucks actually stay at sight a little longer lickin the dirt to get every drop
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 01:40 PM

corn
Posted By: alexrex20

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 01:41 PM

Corn and acorns
Posted By: OHanlon87

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 02:40 PM

As for early season, my mineral sites with deer cane and mineral rock have worked very well. I refresh every 30 to 45 days and I use those in the deep woods with no feeders. I get all my buck pics from these sites. Come late November into December bucks move to feeders, at least in East Texas.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 05:01 PM

Just keep in mind if you are putting a supplement, feed, mineral, etc... in a place where you already have deer, you are not attracting deer, they are already there (including trails you know deer use). I have guys tell me how great some of these mineral and supplement products work only for them to show me pics of a feeder pen that deer have been coming to anyway the last 3 or 4 seasons. Save your money in my opinion, deer will always choose mother nature over the sporting goods store.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: senko86
Does

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yup
Posted By: mdcamp

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/15/12 08:01 PM

best way I have found to get new deer into your area and keep them there is a good spring crop of cow peas then plant over with a winter stand of oats, wheat and winter peas in september. It gets them there and keeps them there. In the spring you cant even run them off. The more deer you have the better your chance of getting a good buck. I put corn out and they eat it but I dont spend near as much on it as a lot of people. helps to have a year round lease both hunting and pasture, no livestock unless I put them there
Posted By: whitetailfanatic

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/17/12 04:44 PM

Acorn rage and the drop n block works good for me in SEOklahoma
Posted By: mikey1313

Re: What's the best deer attractant? - 10/17/12 05:40 PM

I heard bells tied to your rifle barrel work real well smile
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum