Texas Hunting Forum

Question for you Deer Watchers!

Posted By: Mykol

Question for you Deer Watchers! - 06/09/08 10:53 PM

Do any of you use a spotting scope for a camera telephoto lens?? If so, please offer any details like which spotting scopes can be used with which cameras, photo quality, etc. Thanks

Posted By: JCB

Re: Question for you Deer Watchers! - 06/09/08 11:40 PM

This might not be what you are looking for, but here is a picture I took last year of a big 7 point through my 10x binoculars!

I was just goofing off and I was surpised it turned out as good as it did!

The deer is about 100 yards away!

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: Question for you Deer Watchers! - 06/10/08 12:58 AM

There are some electronics stores that sell adaptors so you can use your spotting scope & digital camera to take pics.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Question for you Deer Watchers! - 06/10/08 01:26 AM

I think that Bushnell has an adapter for it's spotting scope.

Posted By: hsuhunter

Re: Question for you Deer Watchers! - 06/10/08 05:01 AM

JCB - you just hold the camera up to the eye piece on the binoculars? that is a great pic if so. You make jerky out of that cull?

Posted By: JCB

Re: Question for you Deer Watchers! - 06/10/08 10:34 AM

Quote:

JCB - you just hold the camera up to the eye piece on the binoculars? that is a great pic if so. You make jerky out of that cull?

Yes, I just put the lens of the camera up to the eye piece on one side of the binoculars. I did not make jerky out of him because I did not shoot him. I saw him about 10 times throughout the year, but we want to see what he becomes this year! I bet he will still be a 7 point though since he is 3.5 years old in that picture!

Posted By: BuckManager

Re: Question for you Deer Watchers! - 06/10/08 10:46 AM

In the past I used a spotting scope for photos, but that was some time back and with a film camera. I still have the scope although I can't remember the brand (and it's buried in my garage). The two biggest issues I had were: 1) the more I zoomed in, the darker the photos got; 2) the more I zoomed in the more grainy the photos got. With that said, the best pictures were those taken in full sun -- which is really the worst time for taking pictures, from both a wildlife and photo standpoint.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum